Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Languages thread!

Since the International thread went so well, I've decided to make a thread dedicated to languages. Doomworld is probably one of the most diverse forums I've been on so the results will likely be interesting. My native language is English but I can speak some Scots Gaelic, Manx and German. I'm currently trying to learn some Welsh and improve on my Manx too. Celtic languages are probably some of my favourite languages, they just sound so beautiful. 

Some languages I'd probably like to learn in the future would be Japanese, Norwegian, Northern Sami and Icelandic. I love Scandinavian and Japanese culture + I have friends from these places too so it'd be a lot easier to speak with them if I were to learn their language.

So, what languages do you speak? What languages would you like to learn? Let me know.

My native is English, though I can speak  and understand Afrikaans fairly well. A part of me has always wanted to learn Japanese or maybe polish.

Just now, ReeseJamPiece said:

Didn't realize a language thread was already up, I'll delete this one.

Posts can't be deleted. If your really want it you can ask mods to delete the topic. But we can discuss it more. Maybe there are some people that didn't participate at the previous thread like you. :)

2 minutes ago, dmslr said:

Posts can't be deleted. If your really want it you can ask mods to delete the topic. But we can discuss it more. Maybe there are some people that didn't participate at the previous thread like you. :)

I keep forgetting posts can't be deleted. I'll keep it up though.

My native language is Ukrainian and Russian because I grew up in a city with a mixed ethnography, let it rest in peace =(

As for English, I spent about 10 years on it and reached B2 level, but it doesn't even closely describe my fluency. Even if I pick a book for children, I'm still likely to get stunned by some unknown words, let alone some professional topics where I can't understand a single word.

Well, I'm mexican, so Spanish is my native language, I have a good english, though I still have some problems when speaking and writting. I've also learned maya language and I want to learn Chinese, Japanese and German.

I just love learning languages. By the way, is german hard to learn? That's what most people have told me

I have 2 languages that I know myself:

Filipino/Tagalog

-I am native in the Philippines so naturally I'm fluent in Tagalog. There are some words deep in the language that I still don't know though.

English

-I'm very fluent in this language, started learning it ever since I got in school but a lot of the stuff I learned came from television and the internet.

I've been thinking of learning Japanese because there's some games I want to play and stuff I want to read but can't understand at all. I don't know where to start though.

Just now, Lol 6 said:

By the way, is german hard to learn? That's what most people have told me

German can be extremely difficult, some words sound like complete gibberish. 

my native language is Brazilian Portuguese, but i also speak English.

as for english and spanish speakers, which variation do you people speak? mine is American style, but i don't know exactly from which part of the country i sound like.

4 minutes ago, Nekr0s1s said:

as for english and spanish speakers, which variation do you people speak? mine is American style, but i don't know exactly from which part of the country i sound like.

Mexican here! I speak the american style english, though my accent would sound waaaaaaay too mexican (specificly from yucatán, you know, "aporreado")

16 minutes ago, Nekr0s1s said:

my native language is Brazilian Portuguese, but i also speak English.

I speak in Scottish English (Dundonian and Glaswegian), it's probably one of the strongest dialects of the English language. We pronounce and spell words like house as hoose and from as fae. We have some of our own words too like faird and fehver. The brain treats dialects the same as a language, so learning a dialect is similar to learning a language.

Edited by ReeseJamPiece

Being Romanian, that's also my native language, and the only foreign language I speak is English. I've had Spanish and French courses back when I was in school too, but they were nowhere near enough to learn them to a satisfactory level, at the very least.

I can understand some French, but can't answer back. Spanish, not at all. The only languages I'd like to learn would be Norwegian and Japanese, based mainly on how they sound, though they are probably both very difficult.

Chilean here.

Spanish is my native language (also chilean spanish is one-of-a-kind lol). Learned english on my own because it's easy enough and a bit of italian because I needed when I had a 1-week job in Milano.

I'm full-on American, but I studied Spanish throughout high school and for two years in college, so I'm semi-fluent. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in real life that speaks Spanish.

3 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I'm full-on American, but I studied Spanish throughout high school and for two years in college, so I'm semi-fluent. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in real life that speaks Spanish.

It's the same problem over here too, most people here only speak English. I've never really had the chance to have a conversation with anyone in another language because most people I know are monolingual.

I am From Texas so my native language is english. i am learning Japanese and dabbling in German. 

3 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

I just love learning languages. By the way, is german hard to learn? That's what most people have told me

not as hard as japanese i can tell you that. it isnt that tough once you get used to it. 

I speak English and bad English (50 points to the first person to get the quote!)

I pick up on things fairly quickly, but English seems to be something I do fluently.  That said, I can understand a lot of English dialects easily that others can't (or claim they can't), so I suppose there's that.  

In terms of other languages, I would eventually like to learn French and Yiddish, those are my priorities...when I get around to it...

24 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I do, I can write some spanish if you want

You know, maya language isn't that hard, although it may only be used here (south east states of Mexico) it's a cool language.

you guys know of Duolingo, right? its a free language learning website that teaches a lot of languages including French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Heck, even Klingon!

17 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

you guys know of Duolingo, right? its a free language learning website that teaches a lot of languages including French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Heck, even Klingon!

Sounds interesting, does it do Welsh? If so I'll look into it.

2 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

Sounds interesting, does it do Welsh? If so I'll look into it.

yes it does teach welsh. it has a large selection of languages

Im from latin america, and close to the border that's separate Brazil and Venezuela, so i learned a little Portuguese.
Learned mostly English from my own and a little of my schools, but still with trouble on that.

And i got myself a great talking in Spanish.

39 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Im from latin america, and close to the border that's separate Brazil and Venezuela, so i learned a little Portuguese.
Learned mostly English from my own and a little of my schools, but still with trouble on that.

And i got myself a great talking in Spanish.

Jejeje igual yo xd

Translation

Hehehe me too xd