ReeseJamPiece

Languages thread!

Just now, Lol 6 said:

Jejeje igual yo xd

Translation

Hehehe me too xd

This remind me of the joke of the spanish and the english laughs

Jajajajaja vs Hahahahaa.

And i need to understand why there's a joke about the Portuguese laughs KKKKKKKKKKKK

My native language is English.  I also speak some Japanese, some Spanish, and some Esperanto.  Sometimes all at the same time when my brain jumbles them together, leading to awfully confusing sentences XD

My native language is Italian and, as most people in my country, studied English in school, slowly it became my second language, I also studied French in middle school but after that I've never used it again, pretty sure I've completely wiped it out of my mind the moment I walked out of school after the exams.

One year ago I started a Russian course but due to covid (and also because we moved in another town) I had to stop, now I use duolingo every once in a while to keep it in mind.

Beside that I also know some words in German, Finnish and Swedish, and due to the fact that Italian and Spanish are similar I can understand it a little bit

8 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

By the way, is german hard to learn? That's what most people have told me

Depends what Languages you still can speak.

English beeing also a germanic one makes it easier.

English to German is like Spanish to French.

Dutch to German is like Spanish to Portuguese.

I am born in Germany, having a Father from Spain and a Mother from Uruguay.

So i'm speaking German and Spanish.

In School three italian Girls where sitting behind me, talking a bit too much :)

But listening to them was like: "Hmm, i can understand them?.", so i've learned Italian.

My english Skills are partly learned in School, but most of it from Games...

I am able to understand Portuguese and to read French.

My latin Skills are sometimes good, sometimes bad, depends on the Period and the Writer ;)

I've learned Latin because i wanted to know why i can understand Italian (it was a Lesson about nearly 3000 Years of History...)

With all the respect, it would translate to "I love you bitch" or "I want you bitch". Again, no offense

And yes, I always laugh when hearing it. For me it's kinda funny that Rammstein made a song in spanish. But they're free to do so

3 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

With all the respect, it would translate to "I love you bitch" or "I want you bitch". Again, no offense

ah....bitch....i thought it was "i love you Whore"

18 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

German can be extremely difficult, some words sound like complete gibberish. 

Interesting, I found it very easy. However, there's a bit of overlap between German and my mother tongue:

Native Swede here so naturally fluent in Swedish. I'd say I'm very close to having English as a second native language (albeit that'd technically be a lie) even though I rarely speak it anymore so I can be a bit rusty in that department. Reading, writing, and listening are so natural to me, however, sometimes I barely notice when I switch languages.

Aside from that I speak terrible German - I can partake in rudimentary conversations and read it pretty well, but my speaking is bad and slow, and the general German speaks too quickly for me to keep up unless I ask them to slow down a bit. :)
I can also speak Danish a little bit, but not well enough that I really have any use for it. It's usually just easier for me to speak English with Danes, that way I don't unintentionally insult their language. :P I can read it pretty well, though, and having the luxury of being born a Scanian (the part of Sweden closest to Denmark) I'm fairly well acquainted with Danish pronunciation so that's not an issue. It would be fun to learn it better but I just really don't have any reason to. Same with German.

Edited by Cinnamon Killjoy

12 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

And i need to understand why there's a joke about the Portuguese laughs KKKKKKKKKKKK

The Portuguese do not laugh with kkkkkk, that's Brazilians. Who speak Portuguese.

Also, I speak Portuguese and English fluently and some Italian. Besides that I understand Spanish quite well, French a little. 

18 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

It's strange how so many people can only speak one while there is so many out there.

I do not think it's strange at all.

Learning a new language is a very time consuming endeavor, it takes constant practice, and you also have to speak it regularly to avoid forgetting it, it's pretty crazy how easy it is to forget a language you've not spoken in months or even years, even if you spoke it for a long time until then.

Couple that with doing other things, hobbies, job, and so on, and you've got yourself a problem. Then it gets even worse if you're a slow learner - and you only work in a classroom setting, as it is my case.

Spanish is my native tounge, i learnt english at a really young age, mostly by myself. I still make a lot of mistakes from time to time, and i haven't practiced my speaking lately, but i think i got a good grasp at it

Other than that, i don't know any other language other than small phrases and some words from other languages, i've been interested in learning a new one for a trip outside, but with the pandemic still going on, im not sure if that's gonna happen anytime soon

Finnish and english fluently. A little bit of swedish, even less german and a very tiny bit of japanese (would be interesting to learn more).

Mis más grandes saludos a mis estimados compañeros y conocidos de DoomWorld, comunicándose con una corte frase en Español.

I just talk Spanidh and I am more interested in doing so on a more refined way, even if more than half of the time I do not do so, I also talk English but I am not perfect, specially when listening to it.

To be honest I am interested on a few languages, like Norse, Russian, German, Latin and Japanese, but mostly Russian or German and Japanese, even though I just know a few german words and I am slightly "better" on a sense regarding japanese thanks to anime and videogames, still, it is just limited to that, but I am sure all of those languages are hard to learn, so I stick with simple stuff.

13 hours ago, Mayomancer said:

Speak portuguese and english, but am looking into learning spanish and/or german

Learning Spanish will be easier for you as you already speak portuguese. Spanish and Portuguese are kind of similar

I'm thinking of learning another endangered language, I speak Manx and that only has 1,800 speakers globally. Ainu seems interesting, it's a Japanese Aboriginal language spoken by the Ainu people of Hokkaido. Only around 10 native speakers are known to exist. I might learn it while learning Japanese, I like doing two languages at a time. I'd recommend others to try learning it too, it is critically endangered and will likely go extinct soon.

Spoiler

Another language I would love to learn is Norn. Norn was spoken in the Northern islands of Scotland (Orkney and Shetland) along with Caithness. It's a strange mix between Celtic and Norse, the last known speaker died in 1850, so there are no audio records of it. However, there are some learning resources out there for the language if anyone is interested in learning some.

Here is the Lord's Prayer in Norn to give you an idea of what it's like:

Fa vor i ir i chimrie, / Helleur ir i nam thite,

gilla cosdum thite cumma, / veya thine mota vara gort

o yurn sinna gort i chimrie, / ga vus da on da dalight brow vora

Firgive vus sinna vora / sin vee Firgive sindara mutha vus,

lyv vus ye i tumtation, / min delivera vus fro olt ilt.

Amen.

Here is the Norn website for more info: http://nornlanguage.x10.mx/index.php?intro

Here's a cool thing:

Production of Cambridge Assyriology, it's a screen adaptation of a popular Babylonian tale, spoken in reconstructed Babylonian ("reconstructed" refers to the pronunciation that is; the text itself upon which the script is based is rather well preserved).

Bizdin' ana-tilimizdin', qaraqalpaq tilinin' grammatikasi har dayim ozgere. Sol sebepli xalq arasinda tilimizdin' biliwi buring'idan paseygen. Jane bir sebeb: rus tili praktik jaqtan qarag'anda kereklew bolg'ani ushin adamlar balalarin oris klasslarg'a berip, qaraqalpaq tili artta qalip qoyadi. Mende xam usi muama, jaqsi bilmimen. 😅

Urdu is my native language with English being my 2nd language. I also can read Arabic but understand only a few words.

40 minutes ago, dmslr said:

Bizdin' ana-tilimizdin', qaraqalpaq tilinin' grammatikasi har dayim ozgere. Sol sebepli xalq arasinda tilimizdin' biliwi buring'idan paseygen. Jane bir sebeb: rus tili praktik jaqtan qarag'anda kereklew bolg'ani ushin adamlar balalarin oris klasslarg'a berip, qaraqalpaq tili artta qalip qoyadi. Mende xam usi muama, jaqsi bilmimen. 😅

I've been wanting to learn Karakalpak for a while but haven't found any good resources for it. Karakalpakstan has a very unique culture and the language should be learnt by more people.

dyecygddx4i51.jpg.93f0b7fd524cf70408ad560494145e90.jpg

Are you serious though? That's nice to hear. :)

Learning karakalpak online is nearly impossible. No resources for learning. Also it has always been changing. Over the past 10 years the language faced some changes several times invented by some stupid people. Even I don't know the current orthography.

9 minutes ago, dmslr said:

dyecygddx4i51.jpg.93f0b7fd524cf70408ad560494145e90.jpg

Are you serious though? That's nice to hear. :)

Learning karakalpak online is nearly impossible. No resources for learning. Also it has always been changing. Over the past 10 years the language faced some changes several times invented by some stupid people. Even I don't know the current orthography.

Damn, I was really wanting to learn some. Karakalpak is probably one of the most unique languages I've heard, I'm from a European country and have never heard anything like it before. In Germanic and Celtic languages, everything tends to be very similar. But Karakalpak is very distinct, nothing is Latinised. I'd love to be able to speak it someday.

1 hour ago, The_SloVinator said:

My native is Slovene but I speak English well. I do know some Bosnian since I have relatives there but not much.

I've never heard Slovene before, what's it like?

17 minutes ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

I've never heard Slovene before, what's it like?

It's one of the Slavic languages, so there are similarities to Russian & especially the southern Balkan. A tough language to learn if you are a foreign.