• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Hot Potato - Team Mapping Event [SIGNUPS OPEN]

Posted (edited)

image0.png

Titleart created by @MAN_WITH_GUN

794020062196531230.png?v=1~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~794020062196531230.png?v=1PO - TAY - TOES. Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew. 794020062196531230.png?v=1~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~794020062196531230.png?v=1
Salutations and greetings everyone to the newest Pineapple Under the Sea community event!

Unfortunately, this isn’t a potato themed event; the name was just thematically appropriate. This event will test your teamwork, or lack thereof. Via raffle, you will be placed into one of two teams in a league of your choice. Once the mapping phase has begun (more details below) each team member will be given an hour to work on your team’s map, one at a time. Essentially playing hot potato with your map.

To prevent arguments over format decisions, I’ve divided this competition up into two leagues:

Boom.png

• The two teams in this league will work exclusively in boom format. Maps should be targeted to work in the PRBoom + source port. Likewise, this league will use the cc4 texture pack to make their maps look all nice and pretty.

UDMF_league.png

• The two teams in this league will work exclusively in UDMF format. Maps should be targeted to work in GZDoom. This league will take charge with the OTEX resource pack to accentuate the nature of the UDMF format

SIGNUPS LIST

As the competition will not cross either league, you will be allowed to participate in both leagues.

When applying for this event, specify which league, or leagues, you are interested in participating in.

Teams will be raffled on January 15th, you will then have that weekend, to the 18th, to reach out to your teammates and formulate a loose plan for your mapping. 

Teams will need to decide seven things:

• A map name, and a theme (I recommend this to be as loose as possible to account for the diversity of mapping styles)
  • A “tater”. This will be the person in charge of doing the slade work for the wad. They will define the midi and sky that the team has decided to use for the map. They will also be tasked with the bug fixing/balancing phase of mapping once every mapper has gone. The tater will also be required to map, like everyone else.
  • Mapping Order. This will have to account for every mapper’s schedule.
  • A Team Name. This is only for fun really.

guidelin.png

You will begin mapping on the 20th of January. Once a competitor completes their hour, they will hand off the map to the next mapper in the order decided by the team. That mapper will therein have 72 hours to complete their hour, else the map falls to the next in line and the disgraced mapper will fall to the end of the line, earning a strike. 

• If you earn a strike, and fail to complete your hour once it reaches you again, you will be dropped from the team.

Your mapping time should not be spent overwriting the entirety of another mapper’s works. This will be a collaborative mismash map, have fun with it.

Once your map is finished, your tater will have 45 minutes to test the map for bugs and any balancing issues. They should guarantee that the map is beatable via legitimate means as well as making sure that the ammo/monster balance is within reason. The tater should not make any major changes/editions to the map; their concern should be with polishing the map. 

Fixing alignment and unpegging counts as bug squashing. Detailing does not.

Once your tater has finished, they will post the map to the DW thread where it will then be observed by our judges.

Maps will be due in the amount of days equal to your teammate count multiplied by three after the 20th.

jduges.png

I just mentioned your maps will be judged. This is a competition after all. Please welcome these wonderful individuals. They will pick the best of your league once both maps are released.

• Our first judge has been running a playtesting thread on this very forum for almost two years no. I speak of none other than @HAK3180. On top of a YouTube channel that has routine uploads of playtesting videos, HAK has been steadily working on his megaWAD Crossbearer.

• Up next is @Insane_Gazebo, the madman behind Sunder, with various contributions to other projects. His maps are notable for their breadth and scale. Difficulty too. Needless to say, his maps are rather… insane.

• @Jark is no stranger to community projects, with one community project on idgames and another in it’s latter trimester. With a map in MAPWICH 2, Jark will have a special eye for teamwork as he judges the hot potato maps.

• The fourth judge is @Pegleg. Co-admin to the two Modest Mapping Challenges, Pegleg has made his mark in multiple projects around the community. With a map in both Mapwiches, both 1k line community projects, the Doomworld Mega Projects for 2017 and 2018, Akeldama, and the 64 kB Mapping Challenge, it isn’t hard to find him around. In addition to being the current organizer of the monthly IronEagle competition, Pegleg is also a moderator on my discord. The last one is the most difficult, I imagine.

If you learned how to count as a child, you’ll notice that we have an even number of judges. That’s right folks, there is a chance of a tie! We’ll have a special tiebreaker condition. Don’t know what it is yet.

sign_up_pussy.png

If everything you’ve just read is of moderate interest to you, then put your name along with your preferred league below!

Signups will close on the 14th of January at 11:59 PM EST. So you have plenty of time to squabble whether you want to or not.

To decide teams, I will raffle names from a hat LIVE on my discord server on the 15th of January. Speaking of...

join_my_server_now.png

My discord server, The Pineapple Under the Sea, is where we will be doing the bulk of the community experience for this event. Here you will be able to watch your teammates map and stream your own mapping to them in a private team call of your own. Joining here will make the experience of being a team like no other. Don’t miss out!

In addition to this event, you will be notified of any upcoming PUTS original or sponsored projects and events in addition to being part of a growing and thriving community of mappers. 

Well, that’s it then. Not much more to be said. I’ll have more updates in the coming week once the sign up list begins to fill. See you on the 15th! 794020062196531230.png?v=1

PREVIOUS PUTS EVENTS:

Hellevator
Line in the Sand - WAD coming soon!

PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA MONTHLY SPEEDMAPPING SERIES:

Clandestine Castle Crashing

12 Days of Doommas

Boss Battle Bonanza
Trick&Tear
September Under the Sea

Edited by BluePineapple72 : added sign ups

Missed opportunity... could've named the Boomer League "The Boomers" instead :p

Anyways... I can't confirm to join in yet because i'm not sure if i'll have much free time by Jan 20th, but if i do i'll join the UMDF League, i don't have much experience with Boom format at all

Sometime in the short or distant future, I will open up a google doc to keep track of the sign ups. I'll link it in the OP so that I don't have to constantly edit it.

It is done. Check out who has signed up via this link here.

Edited by BluePineapple72

Ah, f**k it. Sign me in for boom team.

A pair of questions:

• The hour of mapping is for one or multiple times? (Example: 1 hour me and the other guy 1 hour and it's over or is it more 1 hour me / 1 the other guy / 1 me etc.)
  • Are new textures allowed?

5 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Ah, f**k it. Sign me in for boom team.

A pair of questions:

• The hour of mapping is for one or multiple times? (Example: 1 hour me and the other guy 1 hour and it's over or is it more 1 hour me / 1 the other guy / 1 me etc.)
  • Are new textures allowed?

It will be 1 hour for each person, so the former of your examples. 

I will be providing resource packs for the teams to use. Your league will be using the Community Chest 4 resource pack, so there are multiple new textures for you to use.

Although my name is in the signups list already, I'll just pop in to express my interest in joining the BOOMers League :p

I'll join in the UDMF league. Sounds like fun, though I hopefully won't get flustered by the time restraints. :)

I expected this to be a mapwich clone but it's cool to see it's quite different! What time will the mapping actually take place? I'm wary of signup and not being able to map due to the event happening while I'm at work.

3 hours ago, xvertigox said:

I expected this to be a mapwich clone but it's cool to see it's quite different! What time will the mapping actually take place? I'm wary of signup and not being able to map due to the event happening while I'm at work.

The mapping begins sometime in the coming week. Your team will be able to coordinate with you when it’s best for your turn to work on the map. Each person has a 3 day window to do their 1 hour.

So say you go second. If #1 finishes Monday, you have from then to Thursday to do your 1 hour. If that doesn’t work, you can coordinate with your team to move back some spaces. 

29 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Each person has a 3 day window to do their 1 hour.

Sweet, sign me up for Boom League!

Today is your last chance to hop on board! Sign ups will close in 14 hours. Tomorrow, I will livestream myself drawing teams in my discord server, a video will be up after the fact.

Last chance to sign up! One hour left to hop on board! In the event of an uneven team, I will hop on board. For the UDMF league, I'll hop out since I'm already in there.

Teams have been drafted! They are as follows:

Boom.png

Team_1.png

team_1_list.png

Team_2.png

g93YycoHixSdgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png

UDMF_league.png

YhfHpVbZc33wfYraP1ZMBBDH8D6mQViLGBAjLGaj

pkmojfGgVIQgYFGgEQz0MNL5YhAbyDwL6g0q3Upk

OvcQBeEuZxnIDv3mwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png

Av306u01pr7IAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png

Everyone in here is in my discord. For further updates and information about this project, head there. The final wads will be posted here, alongside the judge verdicts.

Have fun mapping! You have the weekend to discuss your stuffs.