Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reelvonic

The Scared Thread

8 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

when I was a kid, below 10% health and picking up a new weapon.

It looks rather funny than scary

Doom 64 pushes the scary button for me, with the soundtrack, lighting and the 'imma gonna teleport in behind you' traps.

bloody-doomguy-59ed59f074be4.png

this confused me when i was younger, i was thinking "are those his gums? or is that a lot of blood on his teeth?"

must be his gums....right? i would have swallowed the blood already

Just now, Deathclaw886 said:

bloody-doomguy-59ed59f074be4.png

this confused me when i was younger, i was thinking "are those his gums? or is that a lot of blood on his teeth?"

must be his gums....right? i would have swallowed the blood already

lol

Lol I'm such a wuss. Playing the chasm(trash) and I know there was going to be an imp, and it still scared me to half to death.

DOOM0001.png

Just now, Reelvonic said:

Lol I'm such a wuss. Playing the chasm(trash) and I know there was going to be an imp, and it still scared me to half to death.

oh god dammit and again

Demons and specters (especially within dark rooms), as well as enemy alcoves that open as soon as you approach them.

Thing that always creeps me out about original doom? MAP06 - The Crusher. Don't know why exactly. It's not even that hard of a map. I have beaten things much harder than it. Still that map puts me on edge for some reason, even if I'm playing it on the lowest difficulty. I have a few theories/guesses as to why it creeps me out but I digress.

This trap got me panicking the first time playing Doom.

Screenshot_Doom_20210110_182546.png?widt

Ran as fast as I can to the exit when I got to this part. 

Screenshot_Doom_20210110_183251.png?widt

Edited by BrassKnight

3 hours ago, Reelvonic said:

same, but typicaly either shotgun or chain gun elementals  then use the pistol on the lost souls because its 100 percent accuracy when tapping and knockback

The chaingun is also 100% accurate if you tap it and it's faster. Try it out. Free yourself of the pistol, it's a last resort :)

Insta pop-ins, because they come when you least expect them sometimes, similar to jumpscares, though those become predictable very quick, usually.

The AV search sound is pretty nasty. Doesn't scare me per se but gives me the creeps at least.

Unexpected Baron alert sound can be pretty frightening in the right conditions (looking at you, D64).

Instapop monsters in the middle of featureless corridors never fail to startle me, I remember one in particular in MM2 MAP25 where a instapop baron & arch-vile near the end almost caused me to fall off my chair :P

2 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Plutonia MAP11 has scared the shit out of me ever since I first played it when I was 10.

And to this day, it still scares me.

There’s something about being stuck in a maze with the archviles making their horrible noises that scare the life out of me. And that music...

17 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

when I was a kid, below 10% health and picking up a new weapon.

I'm always suspicious of weapons lying around. In fact, I'm usually suspicious of most things in the game. The Casali's have ruined my sense of trust in non-treachery from map designers.

20 hours ago, Reelvonic said:

sometimes i will be playing e1m2 going through that maze part, cause i like to just relax by playing doom, and always i will think i killed em all but theres always just one zombieman around the corner that always scares me near albino

Pretty much any of the dark, maze-like areas creep the hell out of me -- or at least put me very on-edge. I just played through Map 6 of Evilution again (Open Season) and there's an area similar to the dark maze in E1M2 that had a similar, nerve-inducing effect (though I think E1M2 still did it best out of all the maps I've played. Maybe you just never forget your first time...)

Hearing the Revanant's wake up sound suddenly always makes me jolt in my seat. It's not so bad if I can see them, but if I can only *hear it* but it's out of my line of sight? I about panic lol. Sometimes the Baron's sound does that, as well as Spider Mastermind.

Archvile noises in general always scare me at worst, at best freak me out and feel nothing but dread knowing "it's somewhere..."

Mazes, worse yet if dark (obviously), or flashing.

Revenants and Archviles.  And Invy-Pinkies (ie Spectres), cause i have often hard time seeing them. 

But am getting slowly used to mid-tier enemies, yet if you throw a few of them at me, i'll start running around until far away, get my head back on straight and try figure what to actually do. 

And picking up stuff placed on display!  Or just picking up stuff, as in, if there's a highpowered weapon with lots of ammo around free to take i begin to be fearful of what's ahead.

And a lot of things already mentioned... Insta-pop monsters i met first time a few days ago in Kama Sutra and they jolted me badly!

2 minutes ago, dei_eldren said:

Mazes, worse yet if dark (obviously), or flashing.

Revenants and Archviles.  And Invy-Pinkies (ie Spectres), cause i have often hard time seeing them. 

But am getting slowly used to mid-tier enemies, yet if you throw a few of them at me, i'll start running around until far away, get my head back on straight and try figure what to actually do. 

And picking up stuff placed on display!  Or just picking up stuff, as in, if there's a highpowered weapon with lots of ammo around free to take i begin to be fearful of what's ahead.

yeah, in my opinion pigs are just annoying, they seem like bullet sponges, even tho they are super weak. And don't get me started with spectres in dark areas

4 minutes ago, Reelvonic said:

yeah, in my opinion pigs are just annoying, they seem like bullet sponges, even tho they are super weak. And don't get me started with spectres in dark areas

Yeah, actually i think they are worse than Lost Souls everyone is annoyed about.  i always thought the justification was that they're like pure hard muscle, but the waste of ammo is totally uncalled for.  Well, they teach prudence, haha!

The only time I can really remember being scared was when I was playing the Doom shareware at a friends house. And this was back in 1994, so I would've been around 8 years old, and I had never played anything like it before. Maybe Curse of the Catacombs, but that was a completely different beast from Doom.  Anyway, it was my turn to play, and I got to play in E1M5, and it was the first time I saw a pinky, through this little window here. All I can remember was being scared as hell seeing this giant demon running around biting at things. I think what ended up happening was the Sergeant hit the demon, so it ended up attacking him, and someone (either the former human or the Sergeant) must've hit the barrel making it explode, which caused the Sergeant to gib at the exact same time the pinky was biting him. 

At that point I didn't have a rocket launcher, and I had never exploded an enemy with a barrel before, so I had no idea that enemies could gib. I was scared shitless of pinky demons for quite a while after that, because I assumed they could literally make you explode by biting you.

Screenshot_Doom_20210110_233631.png