Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iddqdidkfa

Open request to turn Memorial.wad into something more playeable

Hey there !! i have no idea how to make a map or modify it really... and i was looking into single segment Memorial.wad with -fast monsters just for fun... like "re visit" to the original Doom 2 maps, but the problem is... the music is sooo... annoying...., dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with Metallica i am more of  Britney Spears guy but thats beyond the point,..

Could someone PLEASE grab the Memorial.wad and change the song to its respective level songs... as far as i understand the music change linedef is omly compatible with ZDoom ports right?, or how is the music changed in memorial.wad? i am assuming is a line, i just have no idea what am i talking about.

Also please do it for the community, because i believe a LOT of streamers could benefit from this, because Youtube and Twitch algorithms might "catch" Metallica`s music and demonetize it, even if MIDI right?. Please... i am sure there is a nice soul outhere to make this, i have no idea how and i only have one free day a week in this pain of a job to go out of my way and learn it myself.

here is the WAD:

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/Memorial

So my open petition for the community goes as follows:

1) Please Remove the "Metallica tracks" and change them for the respective map song. (I know that is complicated because some maps are "interconnected")
2) Please release the WAD in a way that is "findable" for anyone online?, not just this thread if possible, or give it to me i can do that for you.

Thank you.

BTW i know that there is somehow of a moralistic bucnh in here that will never agree into "modifying original Doom2 maps in any way" as it is prohibited, just put your pirat hats, i am pretty sure the FBI will also play it...please

Hey man! I've been around n' about the ZDOOM community, as well as modding community. I can certainly try my best with this, and this seems sort of similar to the now "defunct" DOOM:ONE project that I always liked. I'll try my best, and keep you updated on the situation with this. See ya then! 

OH! ALSO!

I know how to modify this already, do you want me to use UDMF (Which is pretty much scripting goodness) or some other format for this? I need to know. Thanks!

Please keep in mind that Memorial is not your wad. The textfile forbids you to rerelease it with modifications:

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse. Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with no modifications.

If you want to make your own private copy, you don't have to edit the maps at all. You can just replace the music files with different music files that have the same name. However, if this is really about the ability to stream while playing it, then you can just turn off music while playing, like most streamers seem to do.

6 hours ago, Cipherz Gaming YT said:

Hey man! I've been around n' about the ZDOOM community, as well as modding community. I can certainly try my best with this, and this seems sort of similar to the now "defunct" DOOM:ONE project that I always liked. I'll try my best, and keep you updated on the situation with this. See ya then! 

OH! ALSO!

I know how to modify this already, do you want me to use UDMF (Which is pretty much scripting goodness) or some other format for this? I need to know. Thanks!

Dude !! you are the best, do as you wish, like the map is connected in weird ways, like there is a connection from map 08 to map 24, like a "secret pasage", the point being if you cross a line there the music should change? back and forth?, but at the end the important point is to remove the MIDI from Metallica. Thank you so much.

6 hours ago, Cipherz Gaming YT said:

Also, would you want really good covers? Or just standard old midis?

I think that MIDI is enough because that would mean the file size will be smaller right?, and probably would work with PRBoom right?

5 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Please keep in mind that Memorial is not your wad. The textfile forbids you to rerelease it with modifications:

If you want to make your own private copy, you don't have to edit the maps at all. You can just replace the music files with different music files that have the same name. However, if this is really about the ability to stream while playing it, then you can just turn off music while playing, like most streamers seem to do.

Sure but the reality is that it would be cool to have all the DOOM2 maps working with its original music, that is something the community deserves i think.

Rather than modify Memorial I created a separate wad with its own MUSINFO lump and the original D_RUNNIN. This will override the music in Memorial (assuming you load musinfo.wad last) and play the default map01 track. If you wanted a more shareable/legal version you could replace the D_RUNNIN included in the archive with another non-commercial midi.

Download

38 minutes ago, iddqdidkfa said:

Sure but the reality is that it would be cool to have all the DOOM2 maps working with its original music, that is something the community deserves i think.

You are in luck - such a thing does exist!

Spoiler

It is called Doom 2.

28 minutes ago, Scotty said:

You are in luck - such a thing does exist!

Hide contents

It is called Doom 2.

NO worries i was using my no trigger trousers :V 

46 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Rather than modify Memorial I created a separate wad with its own MUSINFO lump and the original D_RUNNIN. This will override the music in Memorial (assuming you load musinfo.wad last) and play the default map01 track. If you wanted a more shareable/legal version you could replace the D_RUNNIN included in the archive with another non-commercial midi.

Download

but only music from map 01 will sound always... no good, DOOM 2 has 32 maps, thus 32 soundtracks. but thank you for the suggestion.

Just now, iddqdidkfa said:

but only music from map 01 will sound always... no good, DOOM 2 has 32 maps, thus 32 soundtracks. but thank you for the suggestion.

Wait, you don't want just the music for Memorial replaced? Memorial has one playable map and I've changed the music to vanilla. What exactly do you want?

1 minute ago, xvertigox said:

Wait, you don't want just the music for Memorial replaced? Memorial has one playable map and I've changed the music to vanilla. What exactly do you want?

Well as a matter of fact memorial has more than one song, from map 4 i think it changes and so on.

The idea was that as you traverse trough the maps the music changes respectively to each level, i think that can be done with black magic, it might break compatibility with BOOM for sure... but i am sure its possible to do.

Just now, iddqdidkfa said:

Well as a matter of fact memorial has more than one song, from map 4 i think it changes and so on.

The idea was that as you traverse trough the maps the music changes respectively to each level, i think that can be done with black magic, it might break compatibility with BOOM for sure... but i am sure its possible to do.

Memorial has one map (not including the cinematic map/map34), I'm not sure where you're getting the other maps from?

Spoiler

JGvJS1D.png

hcYKhDX.png

TTXzRhS.png

Memorial is all of doom 2 mushed into one bigass map with a few extra connecty spots mapped in, I think OP wants it to change to each original maps music upon entering that map section. 

...which is weird when he could just play doom II like Scotty said but 

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track, however the wad if recall has line triggers that change the music as you go from level to level...so.

Not just changing the MUSINFO and or removing lumps won't fix this.

The music will need changed to the default Doom2 music. ~ as OP requests? ~ at those line triggers.

As it is after all the primary IWAD that was modified to begin with, Doom2.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to create a new MUSINFO that plays an mp3 one at a time or CD track?

Or better yet.. play Doom2 that just bypasses the intermission screens?

/mixed emotions.. +beer

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Memorial is one map but it uses music changer objects to activate one of 6 dynamic MUSXX files. This can be done in Boom/MBF maps and music changes occur when the player steps into the sector with the object. In Memorial, those are usually placed in the starting sector of the map where music changes and also in sectors the player must pass through if taking a new shortcut back to an earlier map. I've only used one music changer object before but, unless there is some limit, you can probably have 32 different ones, put the IWAD midis in MUS01-32 format in the wad, and make sure those objects exist in sectors between levels.

You can also improve Memorial further by using sky transfers so that E2 and E3 have their proper skies. I guess that feature wasn't standard at the time of release, which is why the entire map only uses SKY1.

Right, I've used music changing some years ago also, so for this, it would require some map editing in order to do this.

Which unfortunately is a no no.

Just turn the midi all the way down and just play a CD man! ;)

Sky what Sky? :P

Seriously though, why not just create a single pwad to run after the wad that changes everything? :D

Again + beer 7

Ohhhh, I see. I didn't even take a look at the actual map.

Yeah, @iddqdidkfa if you want this fixed to play iwad music on each map you'll have to do it yourself, I really cbf doing all this work to be honest. It's not that difficult to do (depending on your editing knowledge).

It would be easy to do. we are just not allowed to do it..

I'm surprised the wad is even hosted.

--------------------------------------------------------------

@iddqdidkfa

There is however a few things going on here:

1: The pwad readme says wad Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse.

(which is the primary discussion here)

Um, not to mention.. it's the Doom2 IWAD, it's been modified..

~ exits are only hacked into the next level, which means the exit line action has already been modified and there is just no intermission screen..

Doom2.wad has been modified ^ red flag

2: The readme says something about: Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

Resources Yes? I could understand that,  but MAP's.. likely not.. 

3: Common observation

It's a fucking hacked up Doom2 IWAD and hosted as a PWAD.. ~ with a music change.. 

I don't give a fuck if there are any additional levels..

PS. Sorry, I'm not rage'n, I just see that there's something wrong here. :\

I mean you can call me a dick or whatever if you want man, but it's not about the midi's.

What's more important is not to have a modified game. it would be like taking your most favorite game and turning it into (generic name pace here), or whatever you call it. From that point, you'd have a (generic name space).. thing. lol and I doubt that anything's going to build off of that. ya know?

It's the reason behind not having a modified IWAD. Otherwise it would just be OK for everyone to just modify everyone's pwads too lol, without reason.

I see your point about wanting to change the music etc, but you see what I'm getting at here I hope.

Aside from that, there's not much I can do about it, it's a 10 year old IP-wad with mentioned apparent issues above..

I've made my suggestions in the previous posts.. Sorry again, I don't mean to burn the OP but I have my reasons. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

9 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

The textfile forbids you to rerelease it with modifications:

This is funny to read for a wad whose entire purpose is combining the IWAD maps.

16 hours ago, iddqdidkfa said:

Could someone PLEASE grab the Memorial.wad and change the song to its respective level songs

Or you could just play Doom 2.

I have an amazing suggestion!

Go into the options menu and turn the music off, then load up YouTube and play any song you could possibly want!

It's quick, it's easy, and it's free!

17 hours ago, Octavarium said:

Memorial is all of doom 2 mushed into one bigass map with a few extra connecty spots mapped in, I think OP wants it to change to each original maps music upon entering that map section. 

...which is weird when he could just play doom II like Scotty said but 

The truth is that i still my anti-troll/patience trousers on :V ... but i want to -fast monsters play memorial with the original music... and i want the world ot be abel to stream it because now is music gated because of Metallica... Memorial is a FINE job, the music was always the problem with it.

17 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track, however the wad if recall has line triggers that change the music as you go from level to level...so.

Not just changing the MUSINFO and or removing lumps won't fix this.

The music will need changed to the default Doom2 music. ~ as OP requests? ~ at those line triggers.

As it is after all the primary IWAD that was modified to begin with, Doom2.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to create a new MUSINFO that plays an mp3 one at a time or CD track?

Or better yet.. play Doom2 that just bypasses the intermission screens?

/mixed emotions.. +beer

I have no idea, sounds complicated... specially because those maps are interconnected for sure. So what i got from your message is that you can make like a HUGE MIDI track? and then the line will just jump on the track?

@iddqdidkfa My understanding is that in the MUSINFO lump you define your midis for the map and then in-game you use a sector effect to switch to the next midi.

Again, why not just load up the Doom 2 soundtrack on YouTube and mute the in-game music? It's not a perfect solution but it's extremely simple to set up.

17 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Memorial is one map but it uses music changer objects to activate one of 6 dynamic MUSXX files. This can be done in Boom/MBF maps and music changes occur when the player steps into the sector with the object. In Memorial, those are usually placed in the starting sector of the map where music changes and also in sectors the player must pass through if taking a new shortcut back to an earlier map. I've only used one music changer object before but, unless there is some limit, you can probably have 32 different ones, put the IWAD midis in MUS01-32 format in the wad, and make sure those objects exist in sectors between levels.

You can also improve Memorial further by using sky transfers so that E2 and E3 have their proper skies. I guess that feature wasn't standard at the time of release, which is why the entire map only uses SKY1.

Damn the skyulines can also be adapted? that sounds amazing, that should definitively be done at some point.

An thank you so much about that information i thought it was a linedef, but is actually a whole sector right? interesting, I really hope this gets done cheers.

17 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Ohhhh, I see. I didn't even take a look at the actual map.

Yeah, @iddqdidkfa if you want this fixed to play iwad music on each map you'll have to do it yourself, I really cbf doing all this work to be honest. It's not that difficult to do (depending on your editing knowledge).

I have non, i work 6 days a weeb and i only get one day to rest, that is the whole point of this thread, i hope someone could give me a hand.

If anyone in this thread has a link or video tutorial on how to do the "sector" that changes music, and also another on how to use the editor to import music, where do i get the music file from?, i think i will attempt doing it myself.