Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

Playing with Sector 11 - under the player but can't step on it = buddha mode?

I'm working on a tiny map and was messing around, added a sector 11 moat that's too small for the player the step in and lowered beneath them - this causes an interesting effect, you become immortal with 1% health

(sector 11 = -10 -20% health and end level)

My map is not ready but here is a demo vid:

^^ This map is coming soon and I'm almost certainly leaving this in because it's awesome

In the meantime I shared this with @HAK3180 before making this thread and he made this demo map you can download:

Works in Chocolate, Crispy, PrBoom+ -cl9, and GZDoom.

Effect 11 No Death No Exit.zip

Additionally I made this boxing match demo but I think this next demo only works in GZDOOM, now you can box a revenant with confidence!

Punch a revenant in the face!!

~~~~

So there it is, discovered this today just screwing around in mapping - I plan on using this in a map down the line, could be interesting to work with this more and see what can be done with it :)

The Rev Boxing map "works" in other ports except that it appears to "correctly" handle the sector effect at the spawn. So if you don't move, you will take damage and then exit the level. But once you move at all (or the revenant moves you), you don't take -20 and you will stay at 1 and neither die not exit. So for consistency, it might be best not to have this in play at the beginning of a map or immediately upon a teleport.

Also, noclipping will likely cause you to register the sector normally and you will exit the level if your health gets down to 10. "Tried to cheat in my level? Now you don't get to play it anymore!" 

Interesting. I did the same thing but with voodoo doll. It won't take damage and exit level, period, but crushing or exploding it with barrels won't bring your health below 1% either.

I'm planning to use it for a map where you have only 1 hp.

Huh. That's pretty cool.

I can see some creative maps coming from this discovery.

39 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

The Rev Boxing map "works" in other ports except that it appears to "correctly" handle the sector effect at the spawn. So if you don't move, you will take damage and then exit the level. But once you move at all (or the revenant moves you), you don't take -20 and you will stay at 1 and neither die not exit. So for consistency, it might be best not to have this in play at the beginning of a map or immediately upon a teleport.

Also, noclipping will likely cause you to register the sector normally and you will exit the level if your health gets down to 10. "Tried to cheat in my level? Now you don't get to play it anymore!" 

Ok based on this I revamped the map , the floor configuration works a lot better I think with diamonds

Check it out :)

Rev Boxing better 2.0

EDIT: Enhanced diamonds

Edited by Clippy

4 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Is what you found something like this?

This is exactly it

I knew I didn't make a new discovery in a 27 year old game but it was still fun to explore :)

Ah, yes. I've even seen that video before but could not remember knowing about this effect. I wonder what maps, if any, have made use of the phenomenon.

1 minute ago, HAK3180 said:

Ah, yes. I've even seen that video before but could not remember knowing about this effect. I wonder what maps, if any, have made use of the phenomenon.

My map in mayhem 2020 uses that bug on purpose...

Be warned, the map is a bit of a bitch on UV...

One of my contributions to NoYe also uses something similar...

It was discovered before I think (and maybe I saw it)

But nice that you found that feature and exploited it in a playable map

I have an idea for the next sector 11 use:

Create a pit somewhere in the map not accessable via playing normally.

But make something that will provide enough conditions to cause "All ghosts" bug in vanilla and when the bug is activated, the player can go and end the level in the pit

19 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

My map in mayhem 2020 uses that bug on purpose...

Hahaha, now that was funny. Reminds me of those old handheld game console things. 

This bug is used in frog_and_toad map07 to get the player down to 1% to force reality style platforming. Happens at 0:26 in. If you take too long the baron dies and the vile is guaranteed to kill you as there is no cover. 

More or less the same bug is utilized in most rocket jumping wads made for ZDaemon / Skulltag / Zandronum or early ZDoom versions.
In these sourceports combining the sector effect 11 with some of the boom generalized effects, results in the same 'buddha' effect even while the player is touching the floor.

Sector specials (boom format):
11 + 32  =  43 : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Damage: 5 per second
11 + 64  =  75 : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Damage: 10 per second
11 + 96  = 107 : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Damage: 20 per second
11 + 256 = 267 : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Friction: Enabled
11 + 512 = 523 : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Wind: Enabled
etc.

Sector specials (zdoom hexen format):
75 + 768  = 843  : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Damage: 20 per second
75 + 2048 = 2123 : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Friction: Enabled
75 + 4096 = 4171 : Damage -10 or 20% health and End level + Pusher: Enabled
etc.

There’s a church map in Dwango20 that breaks similarly in ZDaemon if “allow players to exit the map” is turned off. The exit is a grave you jump into with a type 11 floor. You’ll never die since players aren’t allowed to exit, but there’s no way out once you’re in. Zandronum conversely just seems to treat type 11 sectors as plain old damaging floor sectors when the “no exiting” flag is set, meaning the player will die and can then respawn.

I know this is only loosely related, but falling into the grave in that church map while playing on ZD is so #%@?ing frustrating lol