Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Which MegaWADs do you think should have it's own Custom MIDI Project addon soundtrack?

On 4/10/2021 at 11:36 PM, Devalaous said:

Agreed on 20; actual unique tracks have no right to be replaced. Can always make a track for Valley of Echoes too, as well as the two Black Label maps if they don't have midis for them, I don't recall if they do. AV: Definitive Edition with all 35 maps and a 99% new soundtrack, anyone? :D

Although it is flattering and cool to see a few people suggest one put work into a new track for AV, it would preferably be limited to an alternative extra resource to load with the original release, and not compiled with the maps.

I don't see why one would want to remix or alter the Map20 track personally, since it's the only original track, like you point out. Though I suppose if one just want to freshen things up with options, there's never an issue with that ("Black Label" also have original tracks in place, thanks to Jimmy Paddock).

I wouldn't be too happy about having an alternative "unofficial" version out there with AV Black Label, new midis and the old 25 included. If we wanted to compile this and release it as a unified thing, me and Brad would have done so by now. There's already two versions of AV out there and people who want to attach the original map25 could easily extract it and add it as a separate file for simplicity. :)

Edited by Andy Johnsen

14 minutes ago, Andy Johnsen said:

Although it is flattering and cool to see a few people suggest one put work into a new track for AV, it would preferably be limited to an alternative extra resource to load with the original release, and not compiled with the maps.

I don't see why one would want to remix or alter the Map20 track personally, since it's the only original track, like you point out. Though I suppose if one just want to freshen things up with options, there's never an issue with that.

I wouldn't be too happy about having an alternative "unofficial" version out there with AV Black Label, new midis and the old 25 included. If we wanted to compile this and release it as a unified thing, me and Brad would have done so by now. There's already two versions of AV out there and people who want to attach the original map25 could easily extract it and add it as a separate file for simplicity. :)

Indeed, I never touch the original wads myself. With both AV and AVBL, I have add-on wads that load widescreen versions of the art on top of the wad instead of inserting them in the wad itself, and for base AV, I put the old Map 25 in there as Map 33 in a wad that contains dehacked and mapinfo lumps for modern ports; its only present in the add-on, and MAPINFO will do the rest. I imagine a soundtrack project would do the same. Lots of people enjoy the midis taken from various games, Map 1's midi in the second release has been getting stuck in my head ever since my teenage days, its just that catchy! Having music made specifically for something will always be neat though, especially with AV being one of the most revered Doom wads ever made.

The 'Definitive Edition' thing was kind of a joke about the current games industry and its obsession with remakes and remasters really, although it would be nice to have an official rerelease; I recall downloading AV when I was a teenager and finding out about a map that was cut and I couldn't obtain it for years afterward, and treating the old release of AV like a treasure relic in my backup drives once I finally found it; so I kind of don't want to lose that additional map again.

Maximum Doom MIDI pack. All 3201 levels. The soundtrack should be a community project that accepts all comers - as long as it's technically listenable and not  a default Doom II track like all these maps currently use, it's in. So like the maps themselves, you might get something great, something terrible, something weird - anything. Also, like Megasphere's excellent Master Levels MIDI pack, the track titles should have open disdain for the maps they're attached to.

1 hour ago, ICID said:

Maximum Doom MIDI pack. All 3201 levels. The soundtrack should be a community project that accepts all comers - as long as it's technically listenable and not  a default Doom II track like all these maps currently use, it's in. So like the maps themselves, you might get something great, something terrible, something weird - anything. Also, like Megasphere's excellent Master Levels MIDI pack, the track titles should have open disdain for the maps they're attached to.

This is a joke, right? That would require several hundred composers and one hell of a management job. Not going to happen.

I would make that MIDI pack instead by having an AI generate all the MIDIs. It's precisely the amount of effort Maximum Doom requires. And just like Maximum Doom's levels are "kinda playable(?)" The AI would generate music that's "kinda listenable(?)"

Or alternatively, just download random MIDIs off the Internet and shove them into random WADs, just like how id Software made Maximum Doom.

A joke? How dare you imply that I would ever dare joke about the pinnacle of Doom achievement, that most masterful of artistic endeavors, the PINNACLE of design known as MAXIMU- yeah you got me it's a joke. No more of a joke than people earnestly saying the Going Down music is bad though.

I think the only way to make the Maximum Doom MIDI pack happen would be to take it 30 songs at a time or so to make it more manageable - release it as "Vol 1", "Vol 2", etc. Put together one of those a year and you'd be done in about 2128. Just in time for Mordeth's release!

On 4/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, cannonball said:

Hell revealed, okay so it uses ROTT midis in over two thirds of the wad but it could do with a more bespoke set, especially for those maps that used the stock tracks in E3.

Hell Revealed could definitely use some new tracks. I like the music it has, but they really don't fit the gameplay or aesthetic 90% of the time in my opinion.

On 5/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, SLOTH MARINE (CB) said:

Hell Revealed, because it just uses ROTT midis

I agree, but what style / sound do you think fits Hell Revealed? Wouldn't want to ruin the feel of the wad with bad tracks.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:26 AM, AnonKaiju said:

Something I've always wanted to see is a midi pack for doom 64 that replaces the songs with classic commercial doom music (not just doom 1 and 2 but also tnt since it has an underrated soundtrack). Don't get me wrong I love doom 64's atmospheric soundtrack but I've always wondered how well traditional doom music could fit over the levels.

That would just feel wrong haha. I've played a lot of Doom 64 and it would not feel right with The Healer Stalks or I Sawed the Demons or Deep into the Code playing over its maps. Though it would be interesting.

9 hours ago, Barking Sands said:

I love Kama Sutra, but it has an original yet unoriginal soundtrack simultaneously, and I think it could use a remix edition.

Also, Hell Revealed

On 4/14/2021 at 6:22 PM, northivanastan said:

What about a 3x3 MIDI pack, where the rule is that every MIDI must have only three instruments?

Holy shit yes, make this happen! :D

21 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Holy shit yes, make this happen! :D

Approval from the creator :D

I'm pretty much settled on my next MIDI pack project, but it'd be a fun experiment for sure

Hell Revealed should have a custom midi project. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Rise of the Triad music, but I believe Hell Revealed deserves a completely new and original soundtrack, with Jimmy Paddock, Stewboy, pcorf and Viscera being the select few to make some awesome midis. Demonfear is another megawad that needs a midi pack project too.

On 6/17/2021 at 2:03 AM, T-Rex said:

Hell Revealed should have a custom midi project. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Rise of the Triad music, but I believe Hell Revealed deserves a completely new and original soundtrack, with Jimmy Paddock, Stewboy, pcorf and Viscera being the select few to make some awesome midis. Demonfear is another megawad that needs a midi pack project too.

Demonfear has one now, its an all-in-one upgrade pack that gives it a titlepic and story screens and dehacked stuff, and a unique midi for each map. Its not all 100% original music, as I know I heard Lunatic Pandora from FF8 in there, but iirc everything was approved by Capellan.

Sewers is getting one at least, although ideally there should also be a community effort to remake it to fit in with the other Ultimate Doom maps. Adding detailing, fixing the texturing, etc. Betray is easier to fix up, as its not as bad, its surreal liquid-based looks are charming to me.

Kick Attack could potentially get two midis, one for the Doom version, one for the Doom 2 version. The level is the same, but the appearance changes depending on what game you run it on. If your gonna go with all the official maps, your also missing midis for the GB Deathmatch maps (those things also need player starts, I cant even take a look at their layouts in my ports)

1 minute ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

10 Sectors 1 & 2 should also have their own custom MIDI music.

10 Sectors 2 needs to also be given the amount of love the first one got, instead of just being thrown together and released as-is. Map 31 and 32 aren't reachable, no level has CWILV graphics or dehacked..

Ive been running 10 sectors with MIDTWID, but music made for it would be interesting. Music made with a certain restriction maybe?

The one and only Aliens TC: That deserves some movie-inspired music. Otherwise you're stuck with just the stock music, which at that point you might as well turn the music off entirely because it doesn't sound like Aliens at all. 

Also pretty much all of Team TNT's deathmatch WADs. They don't come with any custom music, which is a shame, because custom tunes go with frags like bread and butter. Doesn't even have to be an all-new soundtrack, it could just be a compilation of really good MIDIs from various places.

A custom track for Kick Attack should sound like a 90s' advertising jingle.

I would say TNT Evilution. I liked its OST, but the tracks are too short and TeamTNT also used tracks from Doom II like Message to Archvile, Sandy City's (two times). They also reused some tracks for example "The beast's Belly" is used 3 times, so I would like it more if the tracks from TNT had more beats, each map would have its own theme and 100% official OST. By 100%, I mean not using tracks from other games. I don't say it's bad

On 5/26/2021 at 11:57 PM, Devalaous said:

A megawad for consideration that is often forgotten is Vilecore. 32 maps of stock music. Dunno if Doom Dude has plans to add music for the 1.2 release, but hey, its another big megawad that is ripe for midimaking.

Vilecore 1.2 will indeed have music, the sources of which have yet to be decided.

The NDCP will also be getting lots of love including music but that's another story. ;)

Oh and for the record I am aware of several planned MIDI packs for WADs suggested in this thread. I myself am planning a Double Impact MIDI Pack.

I won't reveal anything about the other projects I am aware of, so do not ask. You can ask about Double Impact though.

Edited by northivanastan

As expected, the fucking killing machines are always machinating (pun intended) cool projects, silently and furtively.

I could see an argument for 25yoe to have a proper MIDI pack, although I'd want the tone to preserved :P

On 6/28/2021 at 12:03 PM, northivanastan said:

Double Impact

Is said project either a full replacement or a partial one?

Is it endorsed by Ralphis or RottKing, even if this is not strictly required as per the permissions already granted in dbimpact.txt?

Is it a one-man project?