Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Which MegaWADs do you think should have it's own Custom MIDI Project addon soundtrack?

Recommended Posts

For almost two decades, DOOM community projects have been composing original MIDI music or reusing existing MIDI music from other sources, but other MegaWADs made in the mid-1990s to Early-2000s never had any custom MIDI music whatsoever.

 

So I would ask you this question for you, which MegaWADs should have it's own "Custom MIDI Project" addon soundtrack? Feel free to discuss on what MegaWADs should have a custom soundtrack .

 

A few MegaWADs I can name are:

 

- Cyberdreams

- Obituary TC

- DOOM 2 Reloaded

 

There maybe other MegaWADs that I've had or haven't heard about, but these are the ones that I'm aware of that should have a custom soundtrack.

Share this post


Link to post

No Rest for the Living, TNT getting its non-unique and duplicate tracks replaced, and anything on the Unity port that still has default music.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

- DOOM 2 Reloaded

Since it is a lot like what Doom 2 would have been if it was made by Team TNT, i made a midipack for it with midis from the most TNT mapsets out there: Vile Flesh and Doom: Damnation.

I'm still replaying it and checking if the selected midis fit the respective maps, but i was planning on releasing it soon, along a new status bar for it.

 

Aside from that, i'm making a popular songs midi package for Fragport since UltimateDoomer said in the .TXT that the mapset is better played with a good punchy dance or rock act in the bacground, i'm collecting some good rock/metal acts that i feel fit the different maps.

 

Other that that, i worked long ago with Datacore, author of UD'PWAD Endless Torture, and he is so used to the original songs that he doesn't know if other music will fit his maps. I suggested a new midipack and he said that it would be cool to have an alternate soundtrack to it. Since that, i'm making a midipack for it with some industrial rock and metal acts and it come as a really good midipack. Probably releasing it soon, too, after some touch ups here and there.

 

NoisyDiarreha (i made a new titlepic and a new sb for it) and Khorus's Speedy Shit also deserves new midipacks.

Edited by P41R47

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

No Rest for the Living, TNT getting its non-unique and duplicate tracks replaced, and anything on the Unity port that still has default music.

Sorry for the double post.

there is kinda a midipack that replaces the Doom 2 repeated tracks for TNT: Evilution.

Check it out, its not perfect but some songs are good:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D63207&ved=2ahUKEwixwtKkl5ruAhVYHrkGHUmxD8EQFjABegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0C8qWhHYttAca8_1Jl3-65

Share this post


Link to post

Recently I finished playing Hell Awakened by @insanoflex312, even though I see why some people don't like it, it's still a very solid work, a one-man megawad. For this wad stock doom 2 tracks just don't fit because of plutoniesque gameplay with PSX/D64/D3 atmosphere.

 

I also made a full-metallica replacement for The Beginning of the End Part I & II (great classic-style Ultimate Doom E1-E3 episode replacement), can share them if someone is interested.

Share this post


Link to post

Official content:

- No Rest for the Living.

- TNT: Evilution. Full replacement or bust!

- The Ultimate Doom. Again, full replacement or bust!

 

Non-official content (for these, a compilation of already existing cool MIDIs is enough, I would say):

- The loose maps related to the Master Levels for Doom II.

- That E1 contest.

Share this post


Link to post

There's actually two music packs for Doom 2 Reloaded, one of which contains various tracks and the other (from the DSDA Download) containing tracks from Commodore 64 games and such.

Seconding Fragport by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/14/2021 at 1:44 PM, P41R47 said:

Sorry for the double post.

there is kinda a midipack that replaces the Doom 2 repeated tracks for TNT: Evilution.

Check it out, its not perfect but some songs are good:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D63207&ved=2ahUKEwixwtKkl5ruAhVYHrkGHUmxD8EQFjABegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0C8qWhHYttAca8_1Jl3-65

 

What TNT needs is someone like Jimmy to do a 'mimic Tom Mustaine/other TNT musicians' style thing, looking at Hell to Pay/Perditions Gate's VERY similar soundtrack for inspiration (one of the tracks there even has the exact same into as a TNT track) where the new tracks and duplicate replacements seamlessly mix with the originals, like the Heretic midi pack.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

There's actually two music packs for Doom 2 Reloaded, one of which contains various tracks and the other (from the DSDA Download) containing tracks from Commodore 64 games and such.

Seconding Fragport by the way.

do you have link for those D2R midipacks?

I don't seem to find them :/

I will be finishing testing Fragport midi pack soon, hopefuly :)

 

30 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

 

What TNT needs is someone like Jimmy to do a 'mimic Tom Mustaine/other TNT musicians' style thing, looking at Hell to Pay/Perditions Gate's VERY similar soundtrack for inspiration (one of the tracks there even has the exact same into as a TNT track) where the new tracks and duplicate replacements seamlessly mix with the originals, like the Heretic midi pack.

I think that the Revilution soundtrack's musicians are far better for that kind of project.

Jimmy is great, don't take me bad, but his atmospheric tracks, the ones on CABIN for example, are not at all like what Eris Falling made, or Bucket made. Both fully grasped the TNT approach for me.

 

Also, check .mid the way Id Did. I think they are planning on doing UD complete replacement soundtrack and TNT, too.

Edited by P41R47

Share this post


Link to post

Some of the WADs that I play that don't have custom music, I tend to add them myself. However, for certain wads, like Switcheroom 1 and DTWid, for example, I leave it as is.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't know about midi projects, but a lot of old WADs need a patch with proper level names in automap and textscreen. Afaik, such a thing exists but only for zdoom based ports. 

Share this post


Link to post
  1. Doom Zero
  2. Scythe
  3. Going Down (It has a distinct style but it's barely listenable for the most part)
  4. The Ultimate Doom (I'll finally beat it I promise. Just make a better soundtrack.)

 

 

22 hours ago, paturn said:

a lot of old WADs need a patch with proper level names in automap and textscreen

 

+++

 

Edit: how about Doom 2: mid the way Doomworld did?

Edited by <<Rewind

Share this post


Link to post

I think it would be cool someone filled the minor gaps in the custom MIDI soundtracks of Sigil and No Rest for the Living.

 

The compatible version of Sigil is lacking replacements for D_VICTOR and D_BUNNY, whereas No Rest for the Living is lacking a replacement for D_EVIL, for the cast of monsters.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, <<Rewind said:

The Ultimate Doom (I'll finally beat it I promise. Just make a better soundtrack.)

Already on it:

 

Share this post


Link to post

Scythe 1.
Alien Vendetta (Remixing certain tracks like in map10, 20, 25) 

Doom 2 (Don’t know if it’s already been done. Honestly it probably has.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Doom 2 (Don’t know if it’s already been done. Honestly it probably has.)

just came out a few days ago:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I like to hear what a community midi pack for Doom jr will sound like

 

For all the people asking about No rest for the living, here something of your interest:

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/16/2021 at 6:02 AM, SF. said:

Don't know about midi projects, but a lot of old WADs need a patch with proper level names in automap and textscreen. Afaik, such a thing exists but only for zdoom based ports. 

 

Ive been thinking about making some 'quality of life' wads to complement a lot of older wads that have no dehacked patches or have lots of extra wads in the package that are awkward to use. Such as adding Memento Mori 2's two secret maps to a second 'episode' in Zdoom, with the right music playing for them, Trooper's Playground having its extra map and deathmatch maps selectable on the menu, and Eternal Doom having Credits and Cybersweeper as a selectable bonus wad. A bigger change would be Alien Vendetta with the original Valley of Echoes inserted into the level progression, and the Black Label maps as a second episode. Theres also 2002 ADO with a map cut from it in the second release that I'd like to add back. All-in-one less hassle convenience is nice :p

The wads that don't have custom music could get music for them and add such QoL in the process, like TVR did.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

 

Ive been thinking about making some 'quality of life' wads to complement a lot of older wads that have no dehacked patches or have lots of extra wads in the package that are awkward to use. Such as adding Memento Mori 2's two secret maps to a second 'episode' in Zdoom, with the right music playing for them, Trooper's Playground having its extra map and deathmatch maps selectable on the menu, and Eternal Doom having Credits and Cybersweeper as a selectable bonus wad. A bigger change would be Alien Vendetta with the original Valley of Echoes inserted into the level progression, and the Black Label maps as a second episode. Theres also 2002 ADO with a map cut from it in the second release that I'd like to add back. All-in-one less hassle convenience is nice :p

The wads that don't have custom music could get music for them and add such QoL in the process, like TVR did.

If you plan on making a lot of such "quality of life" WADs, you could just replace MIDIs that are reused from Doom/Doom2/Final Doom with more modern compositions that fit the maps similarly well - perhaps tracks from their respective MIDI packs. It's not feasible to create complete bespoke soundtracks for every megaWAD, or even every major megaWAD, but we can avoid overusing generic tracks.

Edited by northivanastan

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, <<Rewind said:
  1. Going Down (It has a distinct style but it's barely listenable for the most part)

 

3 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Alien Vendetta (Remixing certain tracks like in map10, 20, 25)

b-but...i love both of these soundtracks ):

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, roadworx said:

 

b-but...i love both of these soundtracks ):

There’s a reason I said they should remix certain tracks rather than fully replacing them.

Share this post


Link to post

No End In Sight.

 

...

 

What? Its an official addon. Yes, I am predictable, sue me. Frankly, much as I love Doom's OST, those midis really don't do the set justice. While we're at it, I find it strange that @Jimmy seems to only ever use IWAD music for the -less series, despite him being on of if the most accomplished musicians in the Doom community. I must say it does baffle me a bit.

Share this post


Link to post

MIDTWID was an interesting project, only for the challenge of emulating Prince's style. I wouldn't want to replace the original's soundtrack for its own sake. Neither would I have any interest in writing for a megaWAD that already has a custom soundtrack (not including ones like Scythe, which only lifts MIDIs from other games/sources). In the latter case, I feel like I'd want the original author's blessing.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Omniarch said:

While we're at it, I find it strange that @Jimmy seems to only ever use IWAD music for the -less series, despite him being on of if the most accomplished musicians in the Doom community. I must say it does baffle me a bit.

I was surprised by that, too. I recently went through and added my own soundtrack using a bunch of Jimmy’s midis to replace the levels that still had default music, mostly drawing from his work on Jenesis, TVR, and The Rebirth, with a bit of both Plutonias thrown in there.

Share this post


Link to post

have always thought No End in Sight could use a unique soundtrack. ALT and Eternal Doom could also use revisits on the music imo, not to discredit the original work or the fatboy slim MIDI choices lol

I think I have enough tunes handy to ship a 35 song WAD to play alongside any Doom 2 but I'd rather see original music made around them!

 

I did get three songs into a replacement soundtrack for Jim Flynn's ENIGMA and I might try and pick that back up

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Catpho said:

@Ralphis Fill the rest of Double Impact's soundtack pls

Actually, a Double Impact MIDI pack wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially if it was all original tracks, and there was a free WAD replacing the E4 tracks for Freedoom's version of it.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm surprised nobody has brought up a Valiant midi pack at all from what i've seen, given it has (from what i know) no tracks made specifically for it

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×