Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Looking for WAD Reviews? Here: Reviewers Lists, websites, blogs, threads, channels, write-ups, etc.

Thanks for mentioning me, pal! ;)

Some of my reviews are very subjetive and not much detailed, but, i hope, they give a little idea of things on the PWAD.

I'm trying to take my time and enjoy writing them :)

Add this Stream to the OP, it have all my File Reviews on Doomworld to date, and will automatically show the new ones i will surelly wrote. (thanks @rd. for teaching me how to do it ;)

https://www.doomworld.com/discover/252/

EDIT: @Endless this may probably be intereting to put in here, too.

Its a research i made about all the narrative style mapsets out there.

I slowly making it bigger and bigger as i play more and research more.

Edited by P41R47

5 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Thanks for mentioning me, pal! ;)

Some of my reviews are very subjetive and not much detailed, but, i hope, they give a little idea of things on the PWAD.

I'm trying to take my time and enjoy writing them :)

Add this Stream to the OP, it have all my File Reviews on Doomworld to date, and will automatically show the new ones i will surelly wrote. (thanks @rd. for teaching me how to do it ;)

https://www.doomworld.com/discover/252/

No problem mate. Good to see you keep the reviews going strong. I'll add the stream! (pretty cool feature)

3 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Thanks for mentioning!

Thank you! If you want a updated link or recommend something else, don't doubt in telling so :)

@Endless, you are the best! Now I have an absolute mountain of Doom content to chew through! I've also been considering starting a review thread of my own, to keep the rust at bay, and a central thread like this would be very helpful to that end.

20 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

@Endless, you are the best! Now I have an absolute mountain of Doom content to chew through! I've also been considering starting a review thread of my own, to keep the rust at bay, and a central thread like this would be very helpful to that end.

Once you have your own review center, don't forget to hit me with a comment with a link so I can add you ;)

4 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I believe you can add this and perhaps even add other users' File Reviews content. Some of the old reviews of mine have been redone so that they are more accurate too.

Updated.

After I uploaded The Beginning of the End Part 1 to idgames some random DOOM fan site reviewed it. I have no idea which one. My mom printed the review out and hung it on the fridge. Now whenever I find DOOM review sites I comb them for that review, but to no avail. It's most certainly lost with the rest of GeoCities or some such thing.

4 minutes ago, NaturalTvventy said:

After I uploaded The Beginning of the End Part 1 to idgames some random DOOM fan site reviewed it. I have no idea which one. My mom printed the review out and hung it on the fridge. Now whenever I find DOOM review sites I comb them for that review, but to no avail. It's most certainly lost with the rest of GeoCities or some such thing.

Your mom Rules, pal!
Only thing that my mom hanged on the fridge where my bad notes as a reminder i had to study way more.

About a year and a half ago I created this Google sheet. It was, at the time, a comprehensive cross-reference of where you could go to find different written word reviews for different WADs and included all of the archive.org sites that I knew of (and old ones which are still, miraculously, up!). Some of the really old stuff like Doomoscope involved checking different archive.org snapshots since reviews weren't reliably crawled for every date.

1 hour ago, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

*digitaleidoscope

Which sadly has only had one Doom-related update in the last two years. I'm not sure what the future of the site will be but at least there are 50-odd reviews there for now. You might want to link directly to the Doom section of the blog, though: https://www.digitaleidoscope.com/doom/

Apologies! I'll fix that. Also, your blog does have a very impressive layout, and your write-ups are pretty interesting to read.

1 hour ago, NaturalTvventy said:

That's just so sweet. Someday, maybe with the help of this thread, you'll find that review.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Your mom Rules, pal!
Only thing that my mom hanged on the fridge where my bad notes as a reminder i had to study way more.

lmao. I'll hang you on my fridge @P41R47 ;)

52 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

About a year and a half ago I created this Google sheet. It was, at the time, a comprehensive cross-reference of where you could go to find different written word reviews for different WADs and included all of the archive.org sites that I knew of (and old ones which are still, miraculously, up!). Some of the really old stuff like Doomoscope involved checking different archive.org snapshots since reviews weren't reliably crawled for every date.

That is one beast of a document. It does everything this thread needs. I'll add it right away! Thanks <3

1 hour ago, kmxexii said:

That is an incredible resource, many thanks for putting it together!

Here's a few more legacy review sites that don't seem to be covered in kmxexii's spreadsheet from the cursory look I gave it:

Sarge Baldy's Hardass Doom Reviews

GG Inc (lots of dead links :()

The Doom II Room

1 minute ago, Andromeda said:

Here's a few more legacy review sites that don't seem to be covered in kmxexii's spreadsheet from the cursory look I gave it:

The Doom II Room

Hey, cool! I'll definitely update the spreadsheet with these.

Thanks for the mention, @Endless Feels like ages ago that I reviewed.... oh right, yeah it is ages ago!

Anyway, Martin Hunsager and Anders Johnsen's website "The pink bull" is still online. They managed to write a few in-depth reviews while it was active.

Here's mine, with some reviews for Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 content amonsgt other games: https://taw.duke4.net/

There hasn't been updates for a while due to time constraints but have been hoping to make a proper return in time, I miss writing up these reviews.

8 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

Thanks for the mention, @Endless Feels like ages ago that I reviewed.... oh right, yeah it is ages ago!

Anyway, Martin Hunsager and Anders Johnsen's website "The pink bull" is still online. They managed to write a few in-depth reviews while it was active.

Thanks for the the update! I'll add them to the list :D

7 hours ago, quakis said:

Here's mine, with some reviews for Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 content amonsgt other games: https://taw.duke4.net/

There hasn't been updates for a while due to time constraints but have been hoping to make a proper return in time, I miss writing up these reviews.

Nice to see a new face. Hope you return to it :)

Here are some ancient review sites, just for posterity's sake..

Interesting old DM was reviews by Rellik, a one-time regular of the community: https://web.archive.org/web/20040401115620/http://discharge.gginc.org/

Doom reviews for the recreational user, an ancient time capsule of wad reviews: https://www.toolworks.com/doom/

Another old WAD review site from 2005 that seems to be completely abandoned: http://doomwadreview.8m.net/

The "All Time Best Levels" list by Myles Williams, as of 1995-1996. Outdated but useful: http://doomgate.gamers.org/~williams/

All of these are long abandoned, but are both useful for their reviews and interesting as time capsules!

On 1/14/2021 at 7:37 PM, Andromeda said:

The Doom II Room

these are now on the spreadsheet. There aren't as many dead links on GG Inc. as i thought there would be - the vast majority of the doom and doom II reviews are present (albeit as older snapshots) - but something like half of the ones for heretic are gone as well as all of the Hexen reviews.

Edit: the spreadsheet now also has the reviews from The Abandoned Workshop.

Edited by kmxexii : no need to double post

some friends back in the day used to run review sites, if we're allowed to refer to archive.org...

Outpost of Doom by @Ismaele

Doom DM Resource by @Tawney

One that archive.org didn't preserve was ricrob's place, since he closed up shop when they started preserving. He used to post a lot of reviews in "Featured Picks" but only allowed 1 review on that page at a time, effectively wiping out his own work. I wonder if anyone collected them (or can summon the old fart out of hiding)...

Edited by Vorpal

awadaday was a more contemporary review blog on Tumblr that started out by picking PWADs by using the /idgames random function but eventually settled into requests, its latter days pulling heavily from Brandon D. Lade's wishlist. (incidentally, i'm adding AWAD to the sheet - it was the task that I was on before I quit back in 2019)

The thread has been updated!

Writers: (With DW profiles.)

@Capellan and @Ismaele have been added.

Channels:

kakhome1

Websites, pages & others:

The DWMiniwad Club

The Doom II Room

awadaday

Outpost of Doom

Doom DM Resource

The "All Time Best Levels"

discharge.gg

Doom Reviews for the Recreational User

Doomwadreviews

The DooM Deatmatch Resource
Ricrob's Place

Thanks to @Doomkid, @Chris Hansen, @Andromeda, @kmxexii, @Vorpal and @Capellan:)

14 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

Oh hey I would be remiss if I didn't mention @leebigh's Doom Blog. Eight years ago I followed web traffic back to it and discovered the in-dev Zones of Fear.

The all mighty CZ blog! I'll add it right away. Thanks for the content <3