Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retro Dino

What demon annoys you the most?

As the title says, what demon annoys you the most? For me personally, it's pain elementals. I can't stand the meatball fucks. My friend DCG Retrowave likes to call them funnies. They're not that bad in eternal or 16 (I actually can't remember any pain elementals in 16), but damn they're annoying.

Edited by Retro Dino

I don't like grinding, which occurs on the tougher enemies or when the level skimps on proper weaponry. Sometimes I'm half inclined to just type mdk and get it over with, for example mind numbingly fighting a Cyberdemon. That wouldn't be an option if I disabled the console in gzdoom, which brings the question: can I disable the console in GZDoom somehow?

The enemies added in Doom 2 are the ones causing most trouble and annoyance in general. I like to think that their absence doesn't make Sigil any less great because it provides perfect fun being just limited to Doom 1 as a 10-level mapset.

4 hours ago, Retro Dino said:

16 (I actually can't remember any pain elementals in 16)

There aren't any pain elementals in 16. they only appear in eternal( sorry to be that person that corrects people) 

Honestly for me its a trade between revenants and pain elementals. When an archvile or two gets dropped its immediately "Ooh fun!" but the second I see revanant or pain elemental spawn in its the worst thing in the world. Fuck you plutonia map01.

1 hour ago, Silhou3tte said:

There aren't any pain elementals in 16. they only appear in eternal( sorry to be that person that corrects people) 

No i wanted someone to correct me, like I said i couldn't remember any.

7 hours ago, Retro Dino said:

As the title says, what demon annoys you the most? For me personally, it's pain elementals. I can't stand the meatball fucks. My friend DCG Retrowave likes to call them funnies. They're not that bad in eternal or 16 (I actually can't remember any pain elementals in 16), but damn they're annoying in Doom/Doom 2.

I thought PEs were only added in Doom 2, and weren't in OG Doom. Am i incorrect?

Fuckin' revenants. Hate the fuckers. I've spent so much time running like fuck to escape rockets, ducking round a corner and thinking they have lost tracking, only to get a rocket up the arse. Argh!!

42 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

I thought PEs were only added in Doom 2, and weren't in OG Doom. Am i incorrect?

And yes, they are Doom2.

For me it varies game to game so here’s a list no one asked for.

Doom- Cacodemons (bullet spongey and the enemy variety to not make this so obvious wasn’t there until Doom 2)

Doom 2- Pain Elementals

Doom 3- Those whippy soldiers, whatever their names are. Filthy bastards, every time I heard them stomping my way my heart would drop a bit.

Doom 2016- Summoners

Eternal- Fuck those whippy demons. Seriously

always tend to fuck my groove up, especially once they go invisible in TAG. I... I think I have hang ups concerning whips.

I hate cacos, they're flying imps with more endurance than what they look like.

On the more modern games, the Summoner is the one i hate the most, she is agile as hell to the point that it's almost impossible to hit her while i'm jumping like a madman trying to avoid 20 cacodemons and imps, but when she's under my crosshair, she just teleports somewhere far away!

Glad she barely appeared in 2016

There are annoying monsters that are more dangerous (chaingunners!) or more pressing (pain elementals!) but if we're just talking sheer annoyance factor, for me, it has to be spectres. Like... I'm not sure they even have a purpose other than to be annoying...?

Chaingunners. Cheapest enemy in Doom 2, without a doubt. If they can see you, they can and will hit you.

They're also why I dislike Plutonia...the challenge is cheap, repetitive, and relies heavily on RNG, from what I've played on HMP- and UV-continuous. The only two times I've ever played Plutonia.

There's my hot take.

2 minutes ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

Chaingunners. Cheapest enemy in Doom 2, without a doubt. If they can see you, they can and will hit you.

They're also why I dislike Plutonia...the challenge is cheap, repetitive, and relies heavily on RNG, from what I've played on HMP- and UV-continuous. The only two times I've ever played Plutonia.

There's my hot take.

I thought I was the only one that didn't like Plutonia!

1 minute ago, Retro Dino said:

Well, you're not. :) Anybody who likes Plutonia and thinks it is superior to TNT would probably say otherwise if they were to play just the first 10 maps in one go. None of the maps have stuck in my head aside from ones like Hunted, obviously. They're all the same, and inconsistent damaging floors even though the maps were made by only two people is another factor. TNT is more consistent with damaging floors across maps and that megaWAD was made by, like, 10 different people. Each with their own mapping styles and all.

Anyways...yeah, Pain Elementals and their danger all depend on the situation and the space they are in. Archviles are always fun to take on, I love them (probably because they are the only "consistent" enemy in Doom).

Chaingunners? No matter the situation, no matter the distance, they are the worst.

Revenants, chaingunners and the pain-in-the-ass-elementals (Hi there, plutonia map32, like damn, I can't beat it)

Sometimes the cyberdemon, but meh...

OH, yes, I almost forget it. THE ICON OF SIN, why? Because it can spawn the enemies I hate! (but cyberdemons and chaingunners, right?)

1 hour ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

Well, you're not. :) Anybody who likes Plutonia and thinks it is superior to TNT would probably say otherwise if they were to play just the first 10 maps in one go. None of the maps have stuck in my head aside from ones like Hunted, obviously. They're all the same, and inconsistent damaging floors even though the maps were made by only two people is another factor. TNT is more consistent with damaging floors across maps and that megaWAD was made by, like, 10 different people. Each with their own mapping styles and all.

Anyways...yeah, Pain Elementals and their danger all depend on the situation and the space they are in. Archviles are always fun to take on, I love them (probably because they are the only "consistent" enemy in Doom).

Chaingunners? No matter the situation, no matter the distance, they are the worst.

to sum up my opinion, i played TNT a lot more than Plutonia......there.

Pain Elementals, without a doubt. They fill the entire freaking place with lost souls, and once they're dead, cleaning up the lost souls is a pain in itself.

2 minutes ago, LudicrousFPS said:

Pain Elementals, without a doubt. They fill the entire freaking place with lost souls, and once they're dead, cleaning up the lost souls is a pain in itself.

aint that the truth.

5 hours ago, Retro Dino said:

I never cared for Final Doom. Some highlights for sure but it surprises me sometimes the love that title has.

5 minutes ago, GoosebumpsFan said:

archviles

really annoying when i first encountered them

They're the only ones that still scare me... my strategy is to close my eyes, shoot, and hope they die!

Revenants, no question. Their homing rockets are always tricky to dodge (even though they have the most basic tracking ever), and it is very painful when you try to bait them into punching you and they decide to blow your face off with another rocket instead...

For some reason lately, I started to despise Spectres more & more. Maybe it's because of the Crispy Doom source port but damn, most of the time they get in the way, especially when I use RL & the place is dark. Plus, they aren't exactly an original design, just pinkies but partially invisible.

Wish Doom 2 ditched them & replaced them with something more unique.

In terms of annoyance, that tends to be Barons lately, because they're such impenetrable brick walls when they come in groups, especially larger ones.