Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 96 kb challenge: final round of Doom!

21 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Thanks! I've played the first version of your map and it was pretty good!

Well aslong as you're happy with the theme, I'm happy too!

Thanks for playing it, with the limitations of 96kb it's hard for me to make something look and play good, but I did my best :P

8 hours ago, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:

Sorry for the double quote but I compiled some midis (that I didn't make), that I thought would help with the level, use the one you like. (Or don't use them fine by me,)

SweetMozix.zip

Thanks for the request! If you didn't make these midis, then you probably know the name of people who composed these, and if you don't, I will either search for their name or use another midi that isn't from this pack.

52 minutes ago, AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage said:

Thanks for the request! If you didn't make these midis, then you probably know the name of people who composed these, and if you don't, I will either search for their name or use another midi that isn't from this pack.

There should be a .txt file with all the sources of the midis. If there isn't I'll probably fix that.

6 hours ago, AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage said:

@DownloadTheseSweetViruses Hey, all of these midis slap! I'm gonna use D_CQC!
Also, did you get D_CQC from www.vgmusic.com?

I found it in CXV and I had it on my computer for a while, I've been able to track down the source using the metadata.

(Have thy official vgmusic source! https://vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/genesis/vermilio.mid)

Edited by DownloadTheseSweetViruses

Spoiler

image.png.2704ade8277443d3d9081680ff323563.png

In the spoiler is a TITLEPIC you can use if you like it sorry for the spam kay bye!

*Edit spelt dilemma wrong I fixed it.

*DOUBLE EDIT, I have improved the TITLEPIC , still unfinished (mostly because procrastination), but I remolded the "THE 9" I'm still gonna keep the spoiler above so you can compare.

Spoiler

image.png.26e3dd7b3e177cde0ac7ad19915d34f9.png

Edited by DownloadTheseSweetViruses : I am illiterate, and a stupidhead

I went AWOL for the previous one, but count me as interested in a Plutonia-themed map. If you haven't heard from me in a week, DM me here and I'll either have something started or will light a fire under my ass to do.

So, for theme one or two? Anyway, I'll add you to the map list!

20 hours ago, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2704ade8277443d3d9081680ff323563.png

In the spoiler is a TITLEPIC you can use if you like it sorry for the spam kay bye!

*Edit spelt dilemma wrong I fixed it.

Fun TITLEPIC!

25 minutes ago, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:

I will try to get onto that thanks for the suggestion!

Or you can keep it that way, I'm fine with it.

Back to my map, I'm improving it a lot, I'm now planning for the maze room.

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

@Bob9001

here :)     i think this is your map, from front page.

noisy_bob_96kb31.zip

What is the settings you used to record, when I try to play it back it desync's. oh wait I think OP hasn't updated the download link yet. You should use the updated version of this wad which is one of my posts above.

18 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

i've got some demos for the (5, i think) maps uploaded.

noisy_96kb_2021-01-30.zip

peace!

It could be much worse if there was no way to telefrag the archvile and if the monsters in the water pool room could all (including 2 cybers) go and ambush the player in the starting room (as seen in the first version of my map)

I hope you had fun with my map

I made a little something for the Plutonia half of the project. Only UV is implemented atm, I'll start balancing the other skills tomorrow so if you want any enemies or resources softened up, now is the time to say it :p.

96p_bx_01.wad ~93kb (BETA. please load mudicewindTNT.wad with the wad)

Name: Black Rabbit (after Sunlust map22)

Midi: Moon from Legend of Dragoon (also nicked from Sunlust, map07)

Slot: map01

Length: 7-12 mins

From the name I got black = dark (textures and lighting), rabbit = platforming, but most of the platforming I wanted to add was scrapped when I started running low on file space so only a bit made it in. I wanted the tone and difficulty to be Plutonia-ish to fit the iwad, and I think it ended up about right for my tastes at least. Give FDA pls.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

96a.png.94d7a31553b468478b446f0a110f8527.png96b.png.0dc7f0bbaf91bbc9dba06026794b3149.png

v2 of the map:

96p_bx_2a.wad - map only, 95kB excl. music

96p_bx_2b.wad - version with resources if you're too lazy to load the pack

changes:

-difficulty settings

-tweaked some fights

-added some key textures to mark progression

-small visual tweaks only I will ever care about

Probably the final version if nothing is too broken.

I have another map. This one is Egyptian themed. There may be too much ammo, let me know what you think.

Map Name: Halls of Apophis
Map Slot: Map01
Music: Blade Runner: End Titles Midi Rendition
Size: 95.5 KB
Format: Boom
Difficulty Settings: No
Theme: 2 - resource starvation
Iwad: TNT

Screenshots:

Spoiler

qen1FUM.jpg

CdTBipO.jpg

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/owvmn75lmvx3rcr/CT_Halls_of_Apophis.zip/file

I recorded FDAs, some with saves, for the maps posted so far.

Vandalism - fda_bx_nh96.lmp

Sweet map, good looking and challenging with a neat compact layout. I didn't feel like health or ammo was too frugal at all at the start but it's clear that most of the resource challenge comes from dealing with the viles that will show up and resurrect everything. With foresight the obvious thing to do is to lure enemies to the far corners where the corpses are out of the way, but of course I killed everything in the central courtyard. I got lucky at the end because the last vile decided to do me a favour and run straight to me instead of resurrecting the whole map and softlocking me.

TNT in 192: fda_bx_phil.lmp

No exit, I tried several attempts across multiple demos and no matter what I did I couldn't get the yellow key to teleport so something is either broken in the scripting or I'm missing progression. Or maybe it's a very meta tribute to tnt map31? Who knows. Either way I have to say that the concept is cute but 192 map pixels is just not enough space to allow for fun or interesting gameplay, it felt like climbing inside a dollhouse.

sPiCy MaP: fda_bx_spicy.lmp

I have nothing good to say about this one so I won't say anything at all.

Villa Moderne: fda_bx_vm.lmp

Neat concept and very nicely mapped but I have to admit this one was just too hard for me to enjoy on UV. Revenants in tiny cramped spaces + health starvation = one shot deaths all over the place and it became a real slog to keep playing by the end. I wanted to try and figure out how to get 100% but after yet another revball tracked me a million miles and hit me in the back I had to give up and gtfo. I probably should have tried a lower skill.

Bottle or Guitar: fda_bx_bog.lmp

I have no idea what the idea or progression was supposed to be here. The sounds of a million floor/ceiling actions grinding away and the big annoying tower of crap in the west side put me off pretty fast. I found the random hidden switch and exited at turbo speed to save my hearing. I guess the best way I can sum it up is that this map reminds me of 90s mapping and not in a good way.

Shifting Tombs: fda_bx_st.lmp

Simple but nicely paced and balanced map, and not too hard despite the no health restriction. A couple of minor visual glitches: Brief HOMs when the arachnotron fake walls were lowering, and some skybox is bleeding into the upper textures in the middle courtyard. Otherwise I have no issues and the TNT map31 music really makes any map feel atmospheric and spooky. Having BFG in the map was probably overkill.

Halls of Apophis: fda_bx_apoph.lmp

This ended up being a very grindy and save scummy experience and by the end I really wanted it to just be over. The main problem is that the amount of hitscan sniping me around every corner was just absurd, far beyond what the map needs when it's already super low in health pickups. Particularly the awkward room with the lost souls and chaingunners next to the rocket launcher is just horrible.

The crushers and quicksand weren't my thing either, I guess it adds a kind of Indiana Jones adventure feel to the map but because the crusher hallway connects all the other areas, when you're trying to run through the map and hunt more switches you're always waiting for the stupid things to cycle and it gets old fast. In all a well made map but I think it overstepped the line in frugality, you could literally double the amount of health and I would still consider it low enough to fulfil the wad's gimmick.

2 hours ago, BoxY said:

Shifting Tombs: fda_bx_st.lmp

Simple but nicely paced and balanced map, and not too hard despite the no health restriction. A couple of minor visual glitches: Brief HOMs when the arachnotron fake walls were lowering, and some skybox is bleeding into the upper textures in the middle courtyard. Otherwise I have no issues and the TNT map31 music really makes any map feel atmospheric and spooky. Having BFG in the map was probably overkill.

Thank you for this feedback!

However, I decided to put BFG in this map because of the Cyberdemon at the end plus being map 31, you probably will have the BFG by the time you get here when this project is complete.

Hmm strange, I get no HOM's but the sky bleeding through is intended because of when the ceiling raises otherwise it wouldn't render properly and also I think it looks cool, however I may change this at a later date before release ;)

3 hours ago, BoxY said:

No exit, I tried several attempts across multiple demos and no matter what I did I couldn't get the yellow key to teleport so something is either broken in the scripting or I'm missing progression. Or maybe it's a very meta tribute to tnt map31? Who knows. Either way I have to say that the concept is cute but 192 map pixels is just not enough space to allow for fun or interesting gameplay, it felt like climbing inside a dollhouse.

Standing in the small sector where both the blue & yellow cardkey will teleport is what causes the problem which sadly can't be help giving the size of the room so be sure to press the switches without standing on it.