Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 96 kb challenge: final round of Doom!

Map18:

- sky is missing

- missing textures at blue circuits vile area and sideways switch

- blue door accepts any key

- texturing is very erratic

- I realise it is a limited resource map but I ended up just running past all the yellow key tunnel monsters

- what does the hidden sideways switch do? pressing use on it didn't do anything

Map19: I think the player might be starting in a voodoo doll sector(?). Couldn't play this one.

Map20: Didn't see any bugs here, though map is quite frustrating.

Map21: This one was fine. Maybe move some health to the bottom of the blue skull pit?

map22: liked this one - very surreal atmosphere. Some unforgiving bits that require trial and error like the trap before red skull key and the revenant swarm. Could use some more health/ammo for those bits.

Map23: Clever but very tricky map. Save-scummed my way through the first part but I admit I didn't have the patience to complete it. Definitely need some more health and ammo here for the average player.

Map24:

- The transparent windows clip into the floor

- You can get trapped behind the lift by the archvile (1840, -1000, -128)

- Need more ammo to take out the barons and knights at blue key

- The end sequence is impossible without the secret invulnerability

Edited by Captain Toenail

Map25: The blue switch (2639, 802, -144) may be broken so I could not finish the map. Or maybe it didn't animate? Not sure. Otherwise map seemed good. Could use some more ammo after the first door.

Map26: This map was too annoying and unfair so I skipped it, sorry.

Map27: Didn't see any bugs here. 

Map28: Really liked this map. There are some odd hidden lines on the automap that are probably a mistake, and a random midtexture near the exit. Ammo and health was very tight.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:27 PM, Captain Toenail said:

Map23: Clever but very tricky map. Save-scummed my way through the first part but I admit I didn't have the patience to complete it. Definitely need some more health and ammo here for the average player.

Only just saw this apologies.

If you are playing on UV it is quite tricky yes, after the initial escape it eases up a bit - the start is quite frantic admittedly. Cannot remember if I have more resources on lower difficulties (I think I do), I do remember though that I'm so close to the limit that I cannot place an additional thing else I tip over 96 :P

@Bob9001 can you elaborate on what's broken? Are they too difficult in general? Which skill are you playing?

@Captain Toenail thanks for checking it out. is it possible to elaborate on the random mid texture on map28? i took another spin through it but couldn't find anything. i see the missing automap lines, which indeed was a mistake.

Edited by wydoomer

On 11/30/2021 at 12:27 AM, Captain Toenail said:

Map18:

- sky is missing

- missing textures at blue circuits vile area and sideways switch

- blue door accepts any key

- texturing is very erratic

- I realise it is a limited resource map but I ended up just running past all the yellow key tunnel monsters

- what does the hidden sideways switch do? pressing use on it didn't do anything

- sky is missing > weird

- missing textures at blue circuits vile area and sideways switch > sideways switches really don't have lower texture if I got you correctly. And also I dunno how to fix them cuz the first version of the map is not far from the 96's one, and back then it didn't have this issue

- blue door accepts any key > I did it just for fun

- texturing is very erratic > This is my map from around 2017. I couldn't turn it into vanilla and therefore didn't include it in my first vanilla megawad hehe.

- I realise it is a limited resource map but I ended up just running past all the yellow key tunnel monsters > I always aim to give a player a chance to be able not to fight with tough guys

- what does the hidden sideways switch do? pressing use on it didn't do anything > it reveals another 2 switches of a kind and the last one reveals the RL secret

Map 29: There are bleeding midtextures. The ledge at 327,1093,96 cannot be dropped down from when the Pinkies are blocking the way (though you can lure them to the Revenant area). This map is quite unforgiving - could use some more health packs. I god moded my way past the red skull area. I like the strong Egyptian theme.

Map30: Is this a troll map? The start is unplayable. Skipped this one. :/

1 hour ago, Captain Toenail said:

Map30: Is this a troll map? The start is unplayable. Skipped this one. :/

This is one of the maps from D1m3 that is real to pass haha. You should press on the "phone"-like thing on the table

@Captain Toenail, @Walter confetti Updated Map19 and 32!
Map19 changes: removed CWILV graphic, added more monsters, fixed starting area, removed one (two joined?) unnecessary sector(s?) & added a custom MIDI.
HitBoi-96KBMAP19
(Map19's MIDI is 'Human Barbecue (Remix)' by Silentzorah from Project: Doom, which is based on Jonathan El-Bizri's 'Smells Like Burning Corpse' from TNT.)

Map32 changes: removed CWILV graphic, tweaked item placement.
HitBoi-96KBMAP32
(Map32's MIDI is still the same as it's previous versions, by Bobby Prince from Wolfenstein 3D (obviously), don't know what specific Wolf3D song is it.)

Cool, don't worry this project is in stasis for now, but I'll be working on the final touches for this soon.

It's pretty much in stasis, mostly by my fault on compiling a new version of the megawad with all the fixes...

If somebody wants to help with compiling and bug fixing is very welcome!

I could help with compling, depending on bugfixes i could try my best, is it mapping related or .deh related?

I am also willing to give a hand as I'd like to see this project released.

Do you have a list Walter of what is left that needs to be done?  

All right folks, I decided to do something useful today, I have gone through the relevant bugs/issues raised by @Captain Toenail and fixed them as well as adding map updates which were submitted past the last release candidate. I also took the liberty of organising the wad structure, full list of changes below:

- Updated authors.txt to reflect most recent music changes

- Swapped map info in authors.txt for maps 23/24 as they were the wrong way round

- Reorganised map order (1,2,3 instead of 22,15,31 etc) structure in basewad and
  attached corresponding music at end of each map block for ease of reference 

- Map updates added to basewad since last basewad edition (should be all caught up):

Map19

Map23

Map28

Map31

Map32

Direct fixes made:

Map 18 - @SilverMiner:

- Missing sky remedied, PLUSKY3 on a sky transfer line does not exist in the resource,
  changed it to the closest thing to, what I assume was Plutonia Episode 3's sky,
  TNTSKY3, which is red and cloudy instead of fleshy (obviously you can change this SilverMiner)

- Fixed skull switch side textures missing, no idea why they were mssing as they did have
  textures assigned, replaced them with another texture and they work fine now

- Fixed sliding door missing texture, turns out it was nodes being funky with the self
  referencing sector, switched between a few different nodebuilders and it seems to be
  sorted - not sure if map still functions as intended though should be checked.

- Fixed a random slimetrail I came across

Map 24 - @D1m3:

- Fixed translucent window midtex clipping into the floor by making a sector on one side
  of the window midtex 1 unit of brightness higher/lower than the other side (yes it works).

Map 25 - @DukeOfDoom:

- Fixed blue key switch not working, I have come across this before where a scroll wall
  line action blocks the player's use action, here the blue key indicator on a lip above
  the switch was scrolling and thus blocked the action - no idea why it does. Removed the scroll,
  it now works.

Map 29 - @Weird Sandwich:

- Fixed bleeding midtex bars using the same technique as I did with Map24.

The last thing to do is to combine the basewad and textures into one wad, not sure how relevant the reverb and palette wads were so didn't combine it myself.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zz6ybb7g1gl141u/96kbChallengeUpdatedV1.zip/file

I'm playing through all the maps now, I'll list all the fixes I've done and if anyone has an issue with anything i do please let me know :)

- Updated authors.txt for Map 31.

Map 05 -

Fixed monsters being stuck in each other.

Map 06 -

Fixed monsters falling off the pillars into the void and being unkillable.

Map 07 -

Removed 1 secret that was not really a secret.

Fixed a secret that was not obtainable.

Fixed 3 switches changing to let the player know they have been activated.

Changed a texture on a lift to make the lift look like a lift.

Unpegged a lift.

Map 31 -

Retextured most of the map.

Readjusted Lighting across whole map.

A few switches have been changed to be easier to see/find.

Fixed being able to kill monsters before they're released.

Now has the correct music.

Map 32 -

Exit now takes the player to Map 16, instead of an infinite loop.

Map 18 -

Fixed a secret, some reason you couldn't press the switches so they are now shootable.

Map 19 -

Missing Textures added so no more HOM's.

Map 20 -

Made it possible to get all kills as two Hell knights were stuck in a wall.

Map 25 -

Changed a switch texture to indicate that it has been pressed.

Map 27 -

Changed a switch texture to indicate that it has been pressed.

96KBChallengeUpdatedv3.zip

Music still needs to be added to the maps that have midi in their download .zips. Story needs to be added into the text when changing levels and a few more fixes (Map 14) etc.

Edited by Bob9001 : Added some more bugfixes to the wad, hopefully this should be last of fixes

Thanks a lot guys! I thought that the music it's all in the right spot iirc... At least the one for MAP20 is ok.

51 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Thanks a lot guys! I thought that the music it's all in the right spot iirc... At least the one for MAP20 is ok.

Some maps have their music, some maps don't.

8 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Some maps have their music, some maps don't.

The following maps have no music:

Map 25 - in authors.txt, Duke states the music is 'standard' so I assume stock.

Map 27 - in authors.txt, 7Soul says they 'couldn't fit one in' (I guess they thought the midi had to fit within the limit aswell which it did not).

Map 31 - no info about the missing music in authors.txt, did you want to add some Bob? 

That would be great @Jark! I've added the midi to Map 31.

EDIT: A few things I forgot to mention that still need to be fixed. Updated the download link above for the latest verison!

Map 08 - one piece of the skybox is rendering badly I tried to fix this but I could not do so, it might be source port related not map related.
The yellow key bars can only be pressed from the right and left sides only I don't know why this happens but if someone wants to have a look at that and fix/change it they're welcome to.

Map 14 - The yellow key will sometimes not teleport in, don't know why? Map breaks completely in nomonsters so avoid this map if doing nomonster runs.

Ok, I've been through the wad again and done some fixes for the switches that didn't indicate that they had been pressed.

Someone will have to put the story into text form and place the remaining midi's in the .wad and probably need to combined all the files into the .wad itself, I have no knowledge how to do that really so I think I've done as much as i can. :)

Edited by Bob9001

@Bob9001 MAP19's CWILV title should be "No One can Hear you Scream", not "You can't Scream lol".

The mapinfo is strange, there are only 2 maps mentioned in it and both of them were named as "Inflood of Wickedness Inches Near" (MAP27 and MAP32), both of them use D_ROMER2 which is not a midi included in the wad (so Doom II's stock "Waiting for Romero to Play" song is played).

Also, wrong info on MAP32 in authors.txt:
"The music filesize is bigger than the actual map lol, I think that it's because of the .ogg format."
If you search D_ULTIMA in the wad (which is the music MAP32 uses), you'll find that it's a midi, not .ogg format music.

"The music is shares the same music that appears in the TNT ending screen."
That's not true, just replace "TNT" with "The 96kb Challenge".

"- Added music (P.O.W from Wolfenstein, by Bobby Prince)"
It's not P.O.W, it's Horst Wessel Lied.

"- Changed map slot to 31."
It was changed to MAP32 and not 31, the slot was originally supposed to be 31.
And there's no map information like map name and filesize on MAP32 besides the "changes and notes" section in authors.txt.

Also, what's up with the Wolfenstein SS's alert sound? It's pretty weird to hear Nazis scream exactly like Doomguy.
@SilverMiner I got stuck on MAP02, I think I'm supposed to walk through the crates at the first area of the map but I can't because most of them are blocked by the ceiling. MAP30, I didn't complete it but it seems to be unfair because I kept quickly dying at the start.

Edited by Hitboi

1 hour ago, Hitboi said:

Also, what's up with the Wolfenstein SS's alert sound? It's pretty weird to hear Nazis scream exactly like Doomguy.
@SilverMiner I got stuck on MAP02, I think I'm supposed to walk through the crates at the first area of the map but I can't because most of them are blocked by the ceiling.

Wolf guys originally were supposed to jumpscare at the player approaching the secret exit on map15.

Map02 has a destructible ashwall that you have to shoot. It's not quite obvious, but you could just shoot the ashwalls standing on the highest crates and you'll find out. When I played Harry Potter years 5-7 on a PSP, the game suggested a very useful hint: if you don't know what to do, shoot everything you see. I was inspired by the idea and thought that, in theory, it wouldn't be hard to find the wall this way. Pretty much ok imho

11 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Wolf guys originally were supposed to jumpscare at the player approaching the secret exit on map15.

Okay, but MAP32 is centered around them and I was confused when I tested it.

7 hours ago, Hitboi said:

@Bob9001 MAP19's CWILV title should be "No One can Hear you Scream", not "You can't Scream lol".

I will have a look at this and change it, will be good to learn how to do titlepics anyway.

I don't get why Map 32 was changed to Map 31, I had Map 31 since the beginning haha.

I gave it a few hours of messing around in slade and I just can't get the title to look good, so someone else might have to do this!

On 6/30/2022 at 11:22 PM, D1m3 said:

Isn't TITLEPIC is already included in wad?

Yes, but its hard to use pixel perfect letters haha

Greetings folks,

I have made additional changes:

Maps:

Spoiler

@SilverMiner Map02:

I haven't changed anything however, I really don't think the unmarked shootable ashwall for
progression is clear, upon testing I thought the ceiling was accidently joined to a lower sector
making the map impossible. I think the idea can remain, however it is better suited to a secret
than progression - unless it is made much clearer for a wider audience.

@SilverMiner Map08:

The pieces of sky bleeding into infinity was interesting,
after some dabbling I found that the issue was only with sectors
which were tag 16. There were two sky transfer actions, one for tag
0 and one for tag 16. Looking at it all it should have worked just fine,
it was only when checking both lines against each other for any discrepancy
that I found that the tag 16 line had a texture offset of 1040 compared to
0 of the tag 0 line. I did not know you could apply offsets to transfer skies
and that it would make such an effect but it has now been remedied.

As for the yellow bars whose sides could only be activated and not the fronts,
the issue was the back actions of the blue bars in front would 'steal' the 
use action from the player not allowing them to interact with the yellow bars -
this is quite similar to the case of scrolling lines stealing actions too. 

@Philnemba Map14:

The yellow key not teleporting in was due to the fact that the player can easily
accidently block the teleport destination which is right next to the switch. The
scrolling closet the key resides in only passed the teleport line once, meaning if
you blocked the destination you were softlocked. I have added a silent teleport at the
end of the closet and made both teleports repeatable so if the player blocks the
destination for the first time, or second, or third etc - as soon as they move off the key
will teleport in. The key is effectively looping in the closet once the blue switch is pressed
until it is let out. I then repeated this for the blue key which has the same issue.

I also found that a 'S1 door open' switch behind a red key lock would not work. For some reason,
changing the action of the lock from a generalised door lock to 'S1 door open fast (red)' made
it work. I have no idea why - it is fixed now though. 

There was also an area with a missing sky, the area had been set up with sky transfer closets
appropriately but I think the author forgot to actually put a sky as the transfer? I changed it
to something I thought was suitable based on the area.

In the same area, there was usage of DBRAIN (IoS brain texture 64x32) as sky trim, for some reason
in PrBoom+ it was a HoM. Upon putting it on a normal wall it was also broken so I think it is a
resource issue which only PrBoom+ doesn't like. I inspected the resource and DBRAIN 1 and 4 were
missing in the animation sequence, I reinstalled them and it works.

This map is still impossible on nomonsters due to the usage of a commander keen in progression.

@Hitboi Map19:

Changed CWILV from "You can't scream lol" to "No one can hear you scream"

@Hitboi Map32:

Fixed two missing textures on catwalks

Resource:

Spoiler

Added Doom 2 and Plutonia strings to the dehacked so map names and story are visible if someone is using Doom 2 or Plutonia rather than TNT

Reintroduced DBRAIN frames 1 and 4 in TEXTUREX (see Map14 changes).

Removed the MAPINFO, did not seem relevant and was also incorrect as @Hitboi noted,
I checked that Map32 exited to Map16 and it still does with it. Was there ever a D_ROMER2 midi?

Updated authors.txt to reflect changes @Hitboi wished - though I could not find an OP of Map32 for relevant information (map name, theme etc.)

The resource contains all of the textures from Doom 2 which should not have happened, as the
TEXTUREX file references those textures already when combined with a copy of Doom 2/TNT/Plutonia.

Slade's remove iwad duplicates does not work even though patches  are of exact same name, I myself

will not go through 999 textures and manually pick apart and remove iwad from custom ones - it may

pass the idgames check due to slade not detecting anything wrong though, I assume they use a similar method.

Merged palette wad with updated texture wad

Merged texture wad with basewad 

Notes:

Spoiler

While the current TITLEPIC is relevant, the visual noise completely invalidates the M_DOOM graphic. Perhaps the M_Doom

could use a black outline?

Not sure if you used another software other than Slade to insert map changes you made @Bob9001 however, the wad
organisation was all over the place since my first changes - I presume you did build off of the V1 I posted? Either way,

I have readjusted it, though I would ask a little more care is given in the future.

Download V4 Basewad: https://www.mediafire.com/file/97m4wxodfiwiiue/96KBchallengeV4.zip/file