Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vic

Doom 32X Resurrection

For audio, would a driver need to be written from scratch or could you adopt the XWM driver from the existing base Genesis community devkit? If the latter I would be happy to provide properly ported music.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, lazygecko said:

For audio, would a driver need to be written from scratch or could you adopt the XWM driver from the existing base Genesis community devkit? If the latter I would be happy to provide properly ported music.

XGM driver is certainly a possibility although I don't really know how it would affect performance - one really has to keep the Genesis part of the machine off the main bus so that the pair of the SH-2 can have it for themselves. I still have hopes for a working PWM driver though.

2D assets is another problems since these are not present in the original 32X WAD. Maybe these (along with directional sprites for monsters) can be lifted from JagDoom instead.

3 hours ago, Vic said:

2D assets is another problems

from what I see it is possible that the 2D graphics are compressed in RLE format

6 hours ago, Erick194 said:

from what I see it is possible that the 2D graphics are compressed in RLE format

I haven't dug into assets found in the rom and I really don't want to :D

13 hours ago, Vic said:

XGM driver is certainly a possibility although I don't really know how it would affect performance - one really has to keep the Genesis part of the machine off the main bus so that the pair of the SH-2 can have it for themselves. I still have hopes for a working PWM driver though.

2D assets is another problems since these are not present in the original 32X WAD. Maybe these (along with directional sprites for monsters) can be lifted from JagDoom instead.

AFAIK, XWM is designed to work exclusively with the Z80 co-processor.

25/04/2021 progress report:

Lots of things are actually going on under the hood but the three most notable changes as of late are:

- the PSX DOOM-style fire effect on the title screen

- you can now change between 4 different resolutions on the fly: 256x144, 256x160, 320x180, 320x200

- some early work on sound effects - for the time being the same door sample is used for everything

Once this has a proper HUD and stuff, be 100% guaranteed that Doom 32x Delta will use this engine.

OK, so here are .xdelta files for the original JU ROM for your enjoyment. The produced ROMs are going to be region free, thus I'm not going to bother creating patches for the PAL version. Note that this is still an early beta so spare your criticism :)

To switch between different resolutions, press START (aka PAUSE) and then press A to. Press START again to unpause again.

Pressing the MODE button toggles the debugging HUD on and off.

Regular DOOM:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dy4oUY2Ga5GFjyZB0IqmV7hHu8cT8gwZ/view?usp=sharing

32X Delta E1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1deAbyok84QisDqmmBvcUfUfrKr-fZE6u/view?usp=sharing

Some of the later levels aren't accessible probably because this ROM hack requires custom DMAPINFO lump to work properly with D32XR.

Edited by Vic

On 5/2/2021 at 8:58 PM, Vic said:

OK, so here are .xdelta files for the original JU ROM for your enjoyment. The produced ROMs are going to be region free, thus I'm not going to bother creating patches for the PAL version. Note that this is still an early beta so spare your criticism :)

To switch between different resolutions, press START (aka PAUSE) and then press A to. Press START again to unpause again.

Pressing the MODE button toggles the debugging HUD on and off.

Regular DOOM:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dy4oUY2Ga5GFjyZB0IqmV7hHu8cT8gwZ/view?usp=sharing

32X Delta E1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1deAbyok84QisDqmmBvcUfUfrKr-fZE6u/view?usp=sharing

Some of the later levels aren't accessible probably because this ROM hack requires a custom DMAPINFO lump to work properly with D32XR.

Thanks for these patches! These play really good.

Edited by Wavy

I noticed that 32X takes a lot of time calculating damages for BFG rays and all those health subtractions. How do you think it will improve the performance if you replace random damages with predefined damages for notional ray 1, ray 2, ..., ray 40? 

8 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

I noticed that 32X takes a lot of time calculating damages for BFG rays and all those subtractions. How do you think it will improve the performance if you replace random damages with predefined damages for notional ray 1, ray 2, ..., ray 40? 

I don't know yet.. To be honest, I'm not even sure that RGN is actually the culprit here. If it is, another RNG could be used instead - the one that uses the previous value as its current seed. That would eliminate the memory access and the latency incurred.

I know some of you have asked for this...

There is sound on the video you posted. Did you forget to edit the OP? It still says it has no sound.

9 hours ago, VGA said:

There is sound on the video you posted. Did you forget to edit the OP? It still says it has no sound.

Yeah, sorry, just added sound support last week!

I see this project has started to grow further than expected. I'm assuming the rotation sprites are still intact in that latest build?

9 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I see this project has started to grow further than expected. I'm assuming the rotation sprites are still intact in that latest build?

Yes, they are.

7 hours ago, Roebloz said:

Too bad it cant run the Delta levels.

It can but Delta levels are too huge for their own sake. When we figure out how to cram everything (barring the levels and music) into the 3.5MB limit, then we can probably look into merging with the Delta project, provided all levels will run on the real hardware.

One of the early attempts at native-res video modes: the game running at 240x160 in 15bpp mode. Ignore the screen garbage and squishy-looking sprites for the moment. Note that even though the viewport isn't taking the whole screen area horizontally, the resolution is actually higher than in the screenshot above.

image.png.96ead02a3b53b234be14bf22ee79e754.png

image.png.14ea0322b98f3eb2b7990c7104761f42.png

UPD

image.png.8b110ded7493901c3b1b78069f344552.png

Edited by Vic

17 hours ago, Vic said:

One of the early attempts at native-res video modes: the game running at 240x160 in 15bpp mode. Ignore the screen garbage and squishy-looking sprites for the moment. Note that even though the viewport isn't taking the whole screen area horizontally, the resolution is actually higher than in the screenshot above.

Nice! I'm curious, does 32x Resurrection utilise the Jaguar WAD instead of the 32x one? I'm asking due inclusion of the Jaguar status bar

8 hours ago, Wavy said:

Nice! I'm curious, does 32x Resurrection utilise the Jaguar WAD instead of the 32x one? I'm asking due inclusion of the Jaguar status bar

It uses a hybrid WAD. The maps and textures are from the 32x version, sounds and 2D assets are from the Jaguar version, the music is completely new.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, Vic said:

image.png.96ead02a3b53b234be14bf22ee79e754.png

image.png.14ea0322b98f3eb2b7990c7104761f42.png

UPD

image.png.8b110ded7493901c3b1b78069f344552.png

Well, would be about time to port the Delta maps to this.

Please welcome our new overlords - the spectre zombies!

image.png.f653f7e50fb5051eb36f5f64088e1d2b.png