Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vic

Doom 32X Resurrection

6 hours ago, l11l1VeNoM1l11l said:

I hear you there, however...this port is really making its rounds all over the internet.

Lol, you're calling 3000 downloads over the course of two weeks "making rounds all over the internet"? :D

Be realistic, nobody cares about this thing on the grand scale.

10 hours ago, Noiser said:

Here's a very dumb question, but I wonder how feasible would be to port stuff from Doom 2 to this engine. That would be insanely cool.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine people could make levels for this (as it is on vanilla), right?

You should be asking the guys from 32X Delta project.. The limitations and workflow are about the same as with the original engine.

11 hours ago, scalliano said:

Beat this on my hacked Mega Drive Mini last week and I have to say this is some stunning work. Unfortunately the official Retro-bit pads don't map the shoulder buttons the same way the 8bitdo M30 does so I had to kick it properly old school relearning the backpedal/turn manouevre from my teens. Haven't had the chance to try it on real hardware yet as my 32x is currently packed away but I'm looking forward to seeing this running on a CRT with crap speakers.

I'm willing to add support for strafing on Retro-bit pads, if you let me know what their mapping is

Nice project! I always somehow liked the 32X port, despite its limitations. But this upgrade looks awesome. Actually I wanted to play the 32X port some day. Now this looks more promising. :)

9 hours ago, Vic said:

I'm willing to add support for strafing on Retro-bit pads, if you let me know what their mapping is

I'll get back to you on that. Need to test the pad out again on real hardware as the shoulder buttons don't seem to do anything on Retroarch unless directly configured.

EDIT: Okay, using the incredibly scientific method of Street Fighter II's options screen, I can confirm that, whereas the M30 automatically maps Z and C to its L and R bumpers, the Retrobit pad's shoulder buttons are completely unrecognised and apparently only compatible with PC and Switch.

M30 it is then. Appreciate the thought all the same!

Edited by scalliano

10 hours ago, Vic said:

Lol, you're calling 3000 downloads over the course of two weeks "making rounds all over the internet"? :D

Be realistic, nobody cares about this thing on the grand scale.

I suppose its not making the front page of the New York Times, but don't sell yourself too short ;) Basically every forum or facebook community that is related to the sega 32x, genesis or classic doom is talking about this. I've seen users at some of these sites upload the patched rom to a google drive or file sharing site for people to more easily download. I suppose that's improper and not how things should be handled, but that means there could be hundreds or perhaps thousands of more people who are downloading and enjoying the new version who didn't themselves dl the patch from the official channels. This rewrite is AMAZING. Huge kudos!

Here's a very dumb question, but I wonder how feasible would be to port stuff from Doom 2 to this engine. That would be insanely cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine people could make levels for this (as it is on vanilla), right?

I think you need to contact this guy. It seems he has already done the work to trim Doom II levels to work within the constraints of original Doom 32x  https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/97985-doom-ii-32x-pc-maps-port/  Also putting my vote for someone to shoehorn the Heretic wad/assets into a romhack.  Doom Resurrection's performance is amazing, and potentially provides a highly useable fps engine for "new" 32x games. It's an exciting time to be a 32x fan.

For all I know, Spoony Bard didn't want to do Doom2 soundtrack, so.. I guess if enough his patrons keep bugging him for some time, he might change his mind

41 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

I think you need to contact this guy. It seems he has already done the work to trim Doom II levels to work within the constraints of original Doom 32x  https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/97985-doom-ii-32x-pc-maps-port/  Also putting my vote for someone to shoehorn the Heretic wad/assets into a romhack.  Doom Resurrection's performance is amazing, and potentially provides a highly useable fps engine for "new" 32x games. It's an exciting time to be a 32x fan.

Oh yeah, the E-Doctor maps are awesome, but I was thinking of stuff like the new monsters. I don't have any idea if it's possible to convert the code from the PC version to the 32x, but it's probably too much.

v1.2 is now available for download. Here's the Changelog:

Changes in v1.2:

Smooth 30FPS doors and platforms.

The DOOM logo now scrolls during introduction sequence like it does in PSX version the game.

Added XZ strafe mapping to options.

Menu wasn’t visible in automap mode.

Improved auditory cues in menus.

Pressing MODE + START now switches to fist.

Fixed gibbing animation in HUD.

Strafing now follows the USE action mapping, instead of being hardcoded to “C”.

Corrected monster animation speed on finale screen and added shot sounds.

The “New game” menu now remembers the last selected map until game’s restarted.

Changes in v1.1b:

Automap scaling isn’t reset on loading a save state anymore.

Fixed an occasional Z_Free error in map selection menu.

Changes in v1.1a:

Fixed chainsaw sounds.

This port is excellent. My only suggestion is setting the fullscreen and high detail modes at max as default on startup, as it already runs better than the Jaguar port with those cranked up anyways :D

4 hours ago, Mittens0407 said:

This port is excellent. My only suggestion is setting the fullscreen and high detail modes at max as default on startup, as it already runs better than the Jaguar port with those cranked up anyways :D

The high detail mode looks a bit too murky and given overall low resolution, slightly impairs visibility - thus it's off by default.

Changes in v1.2b:

Fixed strobe lights flickering too fast.

Tweaked timings for the hold mode of the START button.

Changes in v1.2a:

Improved compatibility with SRAM saves on older Everdrive models.

Two minor updates since v1.2

Also added instruction on how to source and sequence CD soundtrack: https://github.com/viciious/d32xr/blob/master/readme-cdda.txt

Edited by Vic

10 hours ago, Vic said:

The high detail mode looks a bit too murky and given overall low resolution, slightly impairs visibility - thus it's off by default.

That makes sense. Still looks very good though. The only texture that seems to really suffer with the reduced colour though is the red bricks texture, though that was also the case with the original 32x version

52 minutes ago, Blackpuppy said:

Look on the back cover: it advertises the game using a 32 megabit (4 megabyte) rom. Your Doom 32x cover says it uses a 24 megabit rom on the back cover which is not what resurrection uses. 

So wait, I'm confused. Where does it say in Resurrection's description that it's a 32Meg game. I'm just going on the fact that the original DOOM on 32x was only 24Meg. If it's 32Meg, I can probably easily fix it!

5 minutes ago, EnigmaXtreme said:

So wait, I'm confused. Where does it say in Resurrection's description that it's a 32Meg game. I'm just going on the fact that the original DOOM on 32x was only 24Meg. If it's 32Meg, I can probably easily fix it!

The size is buried in this thread, but Vic says it here:

The original Doom wad was 24megabits, but this uses the maximum rom size that a Genesis/32x can see without bankswitching. 

11 hours ago, Blackpuppy said:

The size is buried in this thread, but Vic says it here:

The original Doom wad was 24megabits, but this uses the maximum rom size that a Genesis/32x can see without bankswitching. 

Fixed! https://imgur.com/a/bOfi9Xx I've also made a cart label 

I only joined this forum to say that this is fucking quality work Vic, and everyone else involved. It's also great to see this still being improved.

Would it be possible to change the red font that's used for the menus and status bar to match the original DOS version? Because it's an iconic font. The Jaguar font is different (much darker red with a black outline). Doom Delta has a more accurate font but it's missing colours and is a smaller size on the menus. I'm a graphic designer, so if it helps i can create images of all the font characters in whatever file format and colour palette that is needed. The DOS font/text resolution is already identical to what you're using in Resurrection.

Btw, doomguys head is slightly misaligned in the status bar (see below). Moving it 1 pixel to the left will fix it.

head.png

12 hours ago, Polonium said:

I only joined this forum to say that this is fucking quality work Vic, and everyone else involved. It's also great to see this still being improved.

Would it be possible to change the red font that's used for the menus and status bar to match the original DOS version? Because it's an iconic font. The Jaguar font is different (much darker red with a black outline). Doom Delta has a more accurate font but it's missing colours and is a smaller size on the menus. I'm a graphic designer, so if it helps i can create images of all the font characters in whatever file format and colour palette that is needed. The DOS font/text resolution is already identical to what you're using in Resurrection.

Btw, doomguys head is slightly misaligned in the status bar (see below). Moving it 1 pixel to the left will fix it.

head.png

If you send me the WAD file with new assets without creating additional work for me - sure, why not. Use Slade to extract and replace 2D assets from Jaguar Doom or D32XR's IWAD.

It's probably not the fact that's misaligned but the underlying border in the status bar. Thanks.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, Vic said:

Two minor updates since v1.2

Also added instruction on how to source and sequence CD soundtrack: https://github.com/viciious/d32xr/blob/master/readme-cdda.txt

Thanks for this.

I would like to use the Saturn soundtrack for the game, but the tracks are going to be too long to be repeated.

It is ordered in such a way : https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Saturn_Doom_music

Which when translated to Doom Resurrection on 32X corresponds to :

d_e1m1.ogg Hangar			Beyond Fear
d_e1m2.ogg Nuclear Plant		The Broken Ones
d_e1m3.ogg Toxic Refinery		Sanity's Edge (beginning and middle)
d_e1m4.ogg Command Control		Hell's Churn
d_e1m5.ogg Phobos Lab			Sanity's Edge (end)
d_e1m6.ogg Central Processing		Digitized Pain
d_e1m7.ogg Computer Station		Mind Massacre
d_e1m8.ogg Phobos Anomaly		Mutation
d_e2m1.ogg Deimos Anomaly		A Calm Panic Rises
d_e2m2.ogg Containment Area		Breath Of Horror
d_e2m3.ogg Refinery			Retribution Dawns
d_e2m4.ogg Deimos Lab			Beyond Fear
d_e2m5.ogg Command Center		The Broken Ones
d_e2m6.ogg Halls of the Damned		Sanity's Edge (beginning and middle)
d_e2m7.ogg Spawning Vats		Hell's Churn
d_e2m8.ogg Tower of Babel		Beyond Fear
d_e3m1.ogg Hell Keep			Digitized Pain
d_e3m3.ogg Pandemonium			Mind Massacre
d_e3m4.ogg House of Pain		Mutation
d_e3m5.ogg Unholy Cathedral		A Calm Panic Rises
d_e3m6.ogg Mt Erebus			Breath Of Horror
d_e3m7.ogg Limbo			Retribution Dawns
d_e3m8.ogg Dis				Sanity's Edge (end)
d_e1m9.ogg Military Base		Beyond Fear
d_bunny.ogg
d_inter.ogg
d_intro.ogg

(for Dis I put a short track as it is not in the Saturn game it seems)

However this reaches 95 minutes, and this is without the bunny/inter/intro tracks. Of course it could fit if we could have every track present only once (as many are repeated as you can see).

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by cireza

11 hours ago, Vic said:

If you send me the WAD file with new assets without creating additional work for me - sure, why not. Use Slade to extract and replace 2D assets from Jaguar Doom or D32XR's IWAD.

Cool! But where can i get the D32XR IWAD? I could probably use a hex editor to extract the IWAD from the D32XR ROM but i can't find the address line that it starts at.

From what i can see, Jag Doom uses a different Jaguar data format to the standard Doom data format, which SLADE can't convert graphics to, so it looks like i'll need the D32XR IWAD. I've never used SLADE before though so maybe i'm missing something simple.

38 minutes ago, Polonium said:

Cool! But where can i get the D32XR IWAD? I could probably use a hex editor to extract the IWAD from the D32XR ROM but i can't find the address line that it starts at.

Assuming you have 'dd' installed and ROM file name is "D32XRv13.32x":

dd if=D32XRv13.32x of=test.wad skip=$((16#3cd0)) bs=1 count=4035588 status=progress

Perhaps Wavy can chime in and help you out with the workflow process.

6 hours ago, cireza said:

However this reaches 95 minutes, and this is without the bunny/inter/intro tracks. Of course it could fit if we could have every track present only once (as many are repeated as you can see).

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated, thanks.

Currently, D32XR uses Red Book audio. This is raw CD audio, and cannot be longer than the CDR can hold in minutes. They make 95 and 99 minute CDRs, but I haven't tried such CDRs on the Sega CD. If trying to use a standard 80 minute CDR, the music for levels must be 80 - length of last three tracks minutes long. Note that if there are fewer tracks than levels, the music will repeat from the starting track to cover further levels. For example, if you only have tracks for levels E1M1 to E1M8, along with the last three tracks, all levels from E2M1 on will repeat E1M1 on.

A future version of D32XR will support data CDRs with PCM/ADPCM music played by the CD 68000 thru the CD PCM chip for situations like where you have more total music time than Red Book supports. Note that the Sega CD PCM chip has a natural upper frequency of the main clock rate / 768, which is 12.5MHz/768 = 16276Hz. It's often stated as 16kHz, but that's just an approximation. The player will handle just about any frequency by changing the step rate on the PCM channels, but anything beyond 16276Hz will simply contribute to aliasing noise. You will be able to fit more music onto the CD by lowering the sample rate - just going from 44kHz 16-bit stereo to 16kHz 8-bit stereo means the CD now holds 5.42 times as much music with plain raw PCM. ADPCM would extend that to 10.84 times as much music.

I'm experimenting a certain game issue when leaving this game "idle" for a while. For some reason, it doesn't seem to freeze the game, but the controller input stops from being recognized and I'm forced to reset the game. This is a little nuisance because I don't usually play this in one sitting (though because of this I don't have other choice) and I tend to play a little while before completing a certain level, then do some other thing and come back with the game paused (but sometime it does even unpaused, I tested that), only to find I can't move nor do anything at all. The game is not frozen because everything seems to be playing perfectly, including music, sound and animations, notably the GUI marine face or the skull icon options.

Not sure why this is happening or how can I report it properly. I'm not sure if this also happens in emulators as I mostly play on real hardware.