Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vic

Doom 32X Resurrection

3 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Would like to point out a good stereo in the game. I have just noticed that, in co-op mode, fire/use sounds produced by the "left" and the "right" players are played in respective speakers.

I think it might be the only 32X game to ever use the dual PWM channels for true stereo mixing.

22 hours ago, lazygecko said:

I think it might be the only 32X game to ever use the dual PWM channels for true stereo mixing.

Wolf32X is probably on the same list of games as well

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Wolf32X is probably on the same list of games as well

Oh! It's disappointing this is a mediocre port. I found just a few demo videos on YT of it. What's odd, Wolf3D for Genesis doesn't refer to it by any means, even as to a "similar homebrew port you may find interesting to try".

Mediocre? It's a full port of the DOS version of Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny. Uses full resolution graphics. Stereo sound effects. Multiple save states at any point. Cheats. Mouse support. CDDA music, or FM music. Has an automap, from my automap code in the PSP port, the first automap for Wolf3D.

I don't claim it's perfect, but I'd hate to see what someone would have to do to get a better rating from you. :D

Wolf3D for the MD was written from the ground up in pure assembly language. I like the color dithering he did to simulate the 256 color graphics. The palette used in Wolf3D fits that pretty well.

7 hours ago, ChillyWilly said:

Mediocre? It's a full port of the DOS version of Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny. Uses full resolution graphics. Stereo sound effects. Multiple save states at any point. Cheats. Mouse support. CDDA music, or FM music. Has an automap, from my automap code in the PSP port, the first automap for Wolf3D.

I don't claim it's perfect, but I'd hate to see what someone would have to do to get a better rating from you. :D

Oh, boy. I screwed up. Pardon my bad English =( 
I should have said "unpopular". 

Edited by Dimon12321

On 5/25/2022 at 3:05 AM, Dimon12321 said:

Oh, boy. I screwed up. Pardon my bad English =( 
I should have said "unpopular". 

That's okay. It does need to be updated... some issues resolved. And not everyone cared for Wolf3D in the first place. I know I kinda shrugged when Wolf3D came out, but was all in on Doom. I think Rise of the Triad did a better job with the raycast generation of games. Hmm - now there's a thought: RotT 32X. In case you were wondering, I worked on the PSP port of RotT, too. :D

In Nightmare mode, if you collect more than 983 - 999 ammo with the rifle, the game will freeze.

1 hour ago, Marsguy said:

In Nightmare mode, if you collect more than 983 - 999 ammo with the rifle, the game will freeze.

How is that even possible? The ammo count is always clamped, even in nightmare mode.

The bug is likely to appear when someone uses the weapon and ammo cheat and you instantly get the 500 ammo. Additional ammo will still be added as the game progresses, even beyond 500, until the screen freezes.

Edited by Marsguy

10 hours ago, Marsguy said:

This is now fixed, thanks.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:21 AM, Vic said:

This is now fixed, thanks.

Hello, I use your fabulous mod on a RG351M console (over ArkOS) using Picodrive and the "W_GetLumpData: 26735 >= numlumps" error still appears on level 1.  The fix you posted in page 10 solved the problem, but now with the latest patch that, as you say, fixes the ammo issue, appears again. Is there any solution? Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, JCORR76 said:

Hello, I use your fabulous mod on a RG351M console (over ArkOS) using Picodrive and the "W_GetLumpData: 26735 >= numlumps" error still appears on level 1.  The fix you posted in page 10 solved the problem, but now with the latest patch that, as you say, fixes the ammo issue, appears again. Is there any solution? Thanks in advance!

I haven't posted any official patches for the ammo problem. The fix is only available on github in the form of source code commit.

image.png.69e595893f4e57111158268bae7e810a.png

I noticed in videos that something's wrong with the texture offset on the first door in E1M1. Looks like the ceiling texture being drawn.

v2.1 is out, here's the changelog:

- Fixed regressions:
-- SegaCD audio support didn't work
-- Random 'R_FlatNumForName: not found' error in 320px mode
-- Glowing lights were broken
-- Gradient lighting on floors and ceilings was broken
-- Sprites would sometimes partially or completely disappear in 320px mode
- Fixed an old Jaguar Doom bug related to item collection, where if the player was touching multiple items simultaneously, neither item would be picked up if at least one of them was maxed out in inventory
- Fixed bug where sprites would sometimes become visible through walls depending on the sector's relative floor height
- Fixed bug where the game would freeze if player's ammo count was greater than 999
- Fixed the attack speed of shotgun guys not being consistently doubled in nightmare mode
- PWM frequency increased from 30Hz to 70Hz, reducing the maximum latency for in-game sounds from 33ms to 14ms
- Some of the game's assets received color restoration treatment
- Improved rendering performance in high resolution modes
- The 320px mode screen size reduced from 184 to 180 pixels
- Optimized maps loading time
- Added support for custom finale text and background to the DMAPINFO lump

On 6/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, Vic said:

v2.1 is out, here's the changelog:

- Fixed regressions:
-- SegaCD audio support didn't work
-- Random 'R_FlatNumForName: not found' error in 320px mode
-- Glowing lights were broken
-- Gradient lighting on floors and ceilings was broken
-- Sprites would sometimes partially or completely disappear in 320px mode
- Fixed an old Jaguar Doom bug related to item collection, where if the player was touching multiple items simultaneously, neither item would be picked up if at least one of them was maxed out in inventory
- Fixed bug where sprites would sometimes become visible through walls depending on the sector's relative floor height
- Fixed bug where the game would freeze if player's ammo count was greater than 999
- Fixed the attack speed of shotgun guys not being consistently doubled in nightmare mode
- PWM frequency increased from 30Hz to 70Hz, reducing the maximum latency for in-game sounds from 33ms to 14ms
- Some of the game's assets received color restoration treatment
- Improved rendering performance in high resolution modes
- The 320px mode screen size reduced from 184 to 180 pixels
- Optimized maps loading time
- Added support for custom finale text and background to the DMAPINFO lump

Excellent, thanks for the update! 🤘

On 6/15/2022 at 2:33 AM, Marsguy said:

This only happens in co-op

Fixed in git now, thanks.

D32XR briefly mentioned in Linus Tech Tips YT video dedicated to the ROM scene:

The project truly deserves its popularity. But one thing that can be improved is the opening. Reviewers usually begin it with E1M1 footage which doesn't feature some noticeable changes. They should begin it with E1M7 on Ultra-Violence and high settings. Here they are: a dark area, a spectre in front of you, action's right away. And people are like "Wow! Holy sh*t!"

With the resolution 224x128 I noticed that the sprite of all weapons is cut off, I have no idea if this is intentional?

normal.jpg

224x128.jpg

12 hours ago, Marsguy said:

I have no idea if this is intentional?

Assuming it is intentional, what the potential reasons for that may be?

2 hours ago, Vic said:

Assuming it is intentional, what the potential reasons for that may be?

What do I know, better visibility of the map with a smaller image section, improved performance?

1 hour ago, Marsguy said:

What do I know, better visibility of the map with a smaller image section, improved performance?

Ditto! Weapon sprites would be taking too much of the estate at this viewport size.

Sorry the next one …

If you don't have a key at an entrance that requires a skull key, the key will incorrectly appear as a key card in the status bar.

14 hours ago, Marsguy said:

Sorry the next one … 

If you don't have a key at an entrance that requires a skull key, the key will incorrectly appear as a key card in the status bar. 

The game doesn't distinguish between skull keys and keycards, you can use either to open door of the matching color