Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alek

Is there a point removing unused textures?

Question

Do they put more strain on the CPU/GPU? Do I increase the likeness of lower fps?

10 answers to this question

File size. Imagine using OTEX 1.1, and only using 20% of the textures in there, you have (roughly speaking) about 56 MiB of unused textures. While file size doesn't matter as much today anymore, it's still feels very wasteful.

also removing unused textures from a wad with the map analisys tool from doom builder is harmful, can make hom walls on various places like lifts, stair builders, etc

@HAK3180 is absolutely right: it doesn't matter: if the camera can't see it, it won't be rendered. the only case it does matter is if your map is full of different hires (like 4096x4096) textures: some engines upload map textures to GPU memory beforehand, and alot of "unseen" huge textures can eat all GPU memory. but for standard Doom textures, and non-hires texture packs (like OTEX) there is no reason to be worried at all.

This is actually good to know, even if I never really thought about it anyway lol.  I often get lazy and just assign the same textures to all the upper and lower sidedefs in an area when I'm trying to make like a lot of rocks or cliffs or something and just want to be able to raise/lower some floors and ceilings in 3D mode and have them all come out already textured.  Not sure if that's "best practice" but it sure saves me some time.

I'm using only the doom2.wad textures. On my PWAD there are linedefs that have lower or upper texture set, but the upper and lower textures are never seen by the player.

So you are talking about Doom Builder, not Slade?

You are asking if, for example, when all you really need is a middle texture, but a linedef has defined upper and/or lower textures, does that matter? Is that right? My understanding is no, that does not matter and will not affect performance, that Doom only renders what it "has to," so if there's no "upper" to show, it won't attempt to show STONE2 up there, even if you're telling it to.

But I'm far from an expert in this regard.

you don't need to copy doom 2 textures on your wad at all.

If you use Doom 2 as a base, the textures are there.

No matter how you use it on your map, the stock textures are on the IWAD, not your wad, unless you modify them, there is no use to copy them inside your wad.

47 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

So you are talking about Doom Builder, not Slade?

You are asking if, for example, when all you really need is a middle texture, but a linedef has defined upper and/or lower textures, does that matter? Is that right? My understanding is no, that does not matter and will not affect performance, that Doom only renders what it "has to," so if there's no "upper" to show, it won't attempt to show STONE2 up there, even if you're telling it to.

But I'm far from an expert in this regard.

This is what I mean. Thank you!

6 hours ago, GoosebumpsFan said:

No, the FPS stays the same.

However you do want to remove the unused textures because of file space.

Remember: this is about setting textures in linedefs not including texture lumps in the WAD. In my test the file size remained exactly the same.