Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Would You Make Quake 1 Similar To Quake 2?

This question was specifically made for Quake 2 fans, but anyone who played the game can answer as well. Would you make Quake 1 more like Quake 2? Making the style look more like Q2? Having the weapons (which there's a mod of by the way)? The enemies? Or do you think Quake 1 is fine as how it is? I personally play Q1 with Q2's awesome arsenal. I just love Quake 2.

Edited by The Strife Commando

Quake 2 is its own subuniverse despite dealing with familiar themes seen in Quake 1.

Quake' Lovecraftian atmosphere goes a long way and is more appealing, atleast to me, than Quake 2's sci-fi universe.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

I'd make Quake 2 more like Quake 1.

Yes, quite this for me too since it's the only Quake I really enjoy.

I only would give Quake 1 more Colours, there is like Brown, Grey and everything between.

Sometimes there is a bit of Red :P

And Brown isn't even a true Colour.

It is a dark Shade between Red and Yellow :P

No. I don't want to ruin Quake 1.

I've been playing Quake 2 and Hexen 2 recently. Hexen 2 gets better and better (when you aren't stuck looking for some mushroom or dust) combat wise. Quake 2 just has super boring enemies where nothing stands out beside the jerks who toss grenades then minigun you to death. The map choices are extremely questionable in that game. Power plant? Mine? Sewer? Prison? Am I playing an entire game made of zones designers use as filler?! 

Quake 2 was more like a tech demo sold as a game. Quake 1 was a game that was also an impressive tech demo. Could have been even better if they hadn't rushed development towards the end, but still, it's the best of all Quakes.

Edited by NightFright

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I'd delete Quake 2 from existence and go in another direction entirely. 

Come on now. Some of you guys are just too harsh towards Quake 2. Sure Quake 2 doesn't have the setting /atmosphere of the original Quake 1, but the game is still excellent in its own right.

The problem with Quake 2 is that it's called "Quake" 2, which should have been a different name. I simply don't understand how id software couldn't find any other name for it.

And they did the same mistake again when they named Quake 3, which again had no lore-wise relationship to either Quake 1 or 2 (other than the availability of their protagonists). 

I think both are fine how they are.  Both are enjoyable and fun.  But given the choice, I'd rename Quake 2 to something else, then make a real Quake 2 that was more like Quake 1.

No, I would rename Quake 2, Quake 4 and Quake Wars to reflect a different series entirely, and rename Quake 3 and everything it spawned something else entirely ('Warriors from the id'?) We probably wont get another Quake game because there are three different Quake universes with no connection to each other, which makes it a hell of a time to design anything new, and ensures the people buying it will be divided; some will want more of the themes of the first game, others will want the Strogg war continued further, especially after that ending in Quake 4 that implies more games in that universe, and others will want a new arena shooter.

45 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Come on now. Some of you guys are just too harsh towards Quake 2. Sure Quake 2 doesn't have the setting /atmosphere of the original Quake 1, but the game is still excellent in its own right.

The problem with Quake 2 is that it's called "Quake" 2, which should have been a different name. I simply don't understand how id software couldn't find any other name for it

Well, I guess it's not a bad game, but it's way too one-note and boring to consider it a masterpiece in my book.

It's missing all the soul that the first game had. No atmosphere, same-y levels, boring weapons, and tedious enemies. The music is pretty much what carries this game all the way through. At least the N64 version was way more interesting, so I hope it gets a remaster one day to get this version on PC too.

Yep. Also, the name selection was done so that it is recognisable and it appeals to more people easily. You know, everyone knew knew quake at the time. Have you seen it's graphics, man?

2 minutes ago, cu2 said:

Yep. Also, the name selection was done so that it is recognisable and it appeals to more people easily. You know, everyone knew knew quake at the time. Have you seen it's graphics, man?

Which is exactly what makes going forward with this IP a pain in the rear.

Literally everyone wants or expects entirely different things, often exactly what the others don't want. id really should have given each installment a different name, as it ended up being, it's by far their most experimental IP, and that is certainly never going to help it.

If anything, i just add 2 sci-fi levels for each episode, and try to make it somehow what we getting in Quake2.

There's something cool about the body horror that the Stroggs do with the fallen enemies, and could be cool to explore that not as a Space Marine, but like a Ranger. Sci Fi themes it's also present in the base level, so it's not a big change. The main threat would still be the Nyalathop, but Stroggs may be others source of enemies trying to get their power.

The rest of the levels stay the same. 

1 minute ago, seed said:

It's missing all the soul that the first game had. No atmosphere

I keep hearing this a lot about Quake 2. Sure Quake 2 doesn't have the cool Lovecraftian setting, but calling it a "no atmosphere" game is plain wrong. There are plenty of atmospheric moments in Quake 2 that show you what happened to your fellow soldiers who got captured by the Strogg. From losing their sanity to having their limbs being torn and replaced with cybernetic parts.

Also weapons being boring is subjective. The railgun is just pure beauty and the chaingun is also very fun to use. The double barrel shotgun is also really nice and punchy. On a whole Quake 1 probably has more fun weapons, but Quake 2 is no slouch either. The weapons are still far better than say Doom 3's weapons.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

Also weapons being boring is subjective. The railgun is just pure beauty and the chaingun is also very fun to use. The double barrel shotgun is also really nice and punchy. On a whole Quake 1 probably has more fun weapons, but Quake 2 is no slouch either. The weapons are still far better than say Doom 3's weapons.

Perhaps, but they still hold no candle to the weapons of Quake, and the punch they carried. *zaps you with lightning from above*

The weapons of Doom 3 felt very underwhelming and clunky, so I don't consider it a good comparison - that would mean Q2's are "just better than average", and I don't think they were that bad. But they were still nowhere near the fun factor of the original.

4 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I keep hearing this a lot about Quake 2. Sure Quake 2 doesn't have the cool Lovecraftian setting, but calling it a "no atmosphere" game is plain wrong. There are plenty of atmospheric moments in Quake 2 that show you what happened to your fellow soldiers who got captured by the Strogg. From losing their sanity to having their limbs being torn and replaced with cybernetic parts.

I dunno man, apart from the outdoor sections, I am just not finding atmosphere anywhere else in this game. That was most of what this game had going for it in terms of atmosphere IMO.

Quake and Quake 2 are different games. Quake 2 wasn't initially going to be called Quake 2. The use of the name is a common fault with marketing, because id decided during development to slap the name on it. I can understand people expecting a true sequel to Quake being disappointed with Quake 2, but then after that no fucking Quake game has anything to do with Quake, Only Quake fans have really produced more content that could be called a continuation of Quake's themes. 

So having said that, what is Quake 2? A well made, technically impressive game for its time based around a sci fi setting mostly inspired by body horror themes like the Borg from Star Trek to name one of the more well known examples of that. Also it was probably the right decision to go for a more dynamic soundtrack given there is more emphasis on action. 

It's not System Shock 1 or 2 which I would say are the apex of sci fi horror atmosphere, but I really feel the game has a decent amount of grunge and grit, and intentionally is very stifling with its environment. I feel it has the edge over Doom and Quake for tech based, industrial design, which is good because that is the whole game from beginning to end, but I think it's length keeps that from being a big issue. 

3 minutes ago, seed said:

I dunno man, apart from the outdoor sections, I am just not finding atmosphere anywhere else in this game. That was most of what this game had going for it in terms of atmosphere IMO.

I would personally say that the outdoor sections were actually the less atmosphere parts of Quake 2. For me, the most atmospheric parts were the places kike the part where you have to retrieve the tank commander's head. There you can see some lab like areas where some insane soldiers roaming around and some failed stroggification experiments.

Regarding weapons, I only mentioned Doom 3 because I have heard a few people on youtube (or reddit i think) say that even Doom 3 had more fun weapons than Quake 2. I of course entirely disagree with them.

17 minutes ago, seed said:

*zaps you with lightning from above*

*one-shot kill you with the railgun before you could deplete my health* ;)

Hot take

By the time I was done there would only be Quake 2 left, I always preferred Quake 2 more for it's corridor combat, satisfying (to me) weaponry and the heavy techno body horror of the Strog. I think the Strog are a horrific enemy and greatly more disturbing than the first game's roster, not only that but I much prefer the moody dark industrial tech setting than the gothic horror setting of Quake 1.

Nah. SP Q2 was a solid, if barely evolutionary game about to get totally outclassed by Unreal in less than 6 months and HL in a year. If not for nostalgia, I don't think it'd have any following at all. No surprise to me how poorly Q2's modding community fared beyond its time compared to Doom, Quake or HL. Hell, I think even Doom3 might have done better.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Also weapons being boring is subjective. The railgun is just pure beauty and the chaingun is also very fun to use. The double barrel shotgun is also really nice and punchy. On a whole Quake 1 probably has more fun weapons, but Quake 2 is no slouch either.

Agree with you about Q2's standout guns, but after the overwhelming power of its Q1 counterpart, the rocket launcher is unforgivable. Shit firing sound, shit explosion sound, shit polygonal explosion. It's shit.

56 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Nah. SP Q2 was a solid, if barely evolutionary game about to get totally outclassed by Unreal in less than 6 months and HL in a year. If not for nostalgia, I don't think it'd have any following at all. No surprise to me how poorly Q2's modding community fared beyond its time compared to Doom, Quake or HL. Hell, I think even Doom3 might have done better.

Quake 2's modding isn't that bad. Sure it is less popular than Doom, Quake, HL or even Unreal, but there are still plenty of Quake 2 mods made. Its just that most of the maps/mods of Quake 2 seem to be multiplayer focused.

56 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Agree with you about Q2's standout guns, but after the overwhelming power of its Q1 counterpart, the rocket launcher is unforgivable. Shit firing sound, shit explosion sound, shit polygonal explosion. It's shit.

This I agree though. The RL in Quake 2 is quite underwhelming but I feel that is mostly because of Quake 1's RL being just THAT good.

Edited by ReaperAA

23 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Nah. SP Q2 was a solid, if barely evolutionary game about to get totally outclassed by Unreal in less than 6 months and HL in a year.

It holds up far better to me than either of those games do now, and I have nothing in particular against Unreal but it's main thing was the scale of the maps which just seems pointless to me now, it makes it a chore to even start playing. 

My stance on the other game be well known around here parts :P

7 minutes ago, hybridial said:

My stance on the other game be well known around here parts :P

Of course it is :p

Regarding weapons, I only mentioned Doom 3 because I have heard a few people on youtube (or reddit i think) say that even Doom 3 had more fun weapons than Quake 2. I of course entirely disagree with them.

Now that's a hot take if I ever saw one lol.

Doom 3's weapons were crap in comparison. That game's arsenal was too flawed to be even remotely comparable, with its plastic looking and cumbersome Chaingun and melee Shotgun, Chainsaw that had barely any use even compared to classic Doom, and admittedly ok Pistol. Plasma, SSG, and BFG were its only satisfying weapons. RPG was also technically good but did not feel powerful, HL2's RPG was more impressive for instance - and way more practical.

*one-shot kill you with the railgun before you could deplete my health* ;)

Godmoding eh?

Right, I'mma call the cops rn son.

15 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

The RL in Quake 2 is quite underwhelming but if feel that is mostly because of Quake 1's RL being just THAT good.

Which I think says a lot about the design of that game in general. The bestiary was also superior despite having its own questionable enemies - what was that jumping blob? Yeah, screw 'em, but they could be fun when, you know, were also aware of their presence, making them less likely to instakill the unsuspecting player. Guess they really wanted a suicide bomber.

21 minutes ago, seed said:

Chainsaw that had barely any use even compared to classic Doom

Doom 3's chainsaw is way more useful than Classic Doom's.

1 minute ago, The Strife Commando said:

Negative, it feels way clunkier and connects to targets even worse - or so my memory tells.

Berserk was also heavily underutilized - iirc it was used in Hell once, maybe twice? Then, poof.

7 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Agreed, very handy for taking care of those melee zombies, and also Wraiths