Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thestupidmeddy

Hello, fellow kids!

Hey, it's nice to be called "fellow kid" instead of "old man" for a change. :)

In a way, I don't think the classic Doom games or the community around them will really die out. Not only is there a ton of content out there, there's a ton of ways to play it. You want strict vanilla? Chocolate's your go-to. You want compatibility with lots of the classic maps and a little extra spice? There's always Crispy or venerable PrBoom+. Want the bangs and whistles? GZDoom/LZDoom are it. Multiplayer? There's always Zandronum.

Hell, the community is even getting involved in hacking the console versions - there's people restoring all the maps on the 32X version, and restoring maps on the PSX version (including yours truly). Doom 64 just got a more thorough reverse-engineer, and I'm looking forward to being able to mess with that once we're done with the PSX project. :)

It seems like there's almost always something new and fresh on the horizon. As long as that exists, classic Doom will never really die. I remember reading someone calling it "The world's most violent Hello World program," and I agree. It's amazing what it's getting ported to nowadays.

5 hours ago, Meddy said:

Yeah that is impressive. But I asume that the community had and has some struggles keeping itself alive.

I've been in a few Olde Game forums in my time and it never ceases to amaze me how deathless the Doom community seems to be--and moreover, how there's no real sign that that's going to change.  It's an easy game to mod, easy to pick up and play, is basically universally known, has almost-unlimited modding potential by way of ports like GZDoom and Eternity and certainly it helps that the community thrives around just a couple of forums.  It's probably in a category of its own in all these regards, one that's not likely to see more than one or two other games classed alongside it.  The fact that you're here now too is testament to that.  So yes welcome aboard :)

6 hours ago, Meddy said:

Yeah that is impressive. But I asume that the community had and has some struggles keeping itself alive.

Some aspects of the community have faded a bit, there used to be enormous Deathmatch and CTF scenes which are smaller today than they once were (but by no means dead). However, where some aspects have taken a back seat, other areas seem stronger than ever.. The output of new levels and mods is astronomical, and on the whole the quality just keeps going up and up, and in addition to that there's a pretty booming Classic Doom scene on YouTube right now which brings the community even more outside attention.

It's a good era to be a Doomer, though in all honesty there's never been a bad era. Even at it's lowest low, there were still new wads being pumped out constantly and hundreds of active multiplayer servers. I'm very glad to say the community has never had a brush with death, or even come close to it.

5 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Some aspects of the community have faded a bit, there used to be enormous Deathmatch and CTF scenes which are smaller today than they once were (but by no means dead). However, where some aspects have taken a back seat, other areas seem stronger than ever.. The output of new levels and mods is astronomical, and on the whole the quality just keeps going up and up, and in addition to that there's a pretty booming Classic Doom scene on YouTube right now which brings the community even more outside attention.

It's a good era to be a Doomer, though in all honesty there's never been a bad era. Even at it's lowest low, there were still new wads being pumped out constantly and hundreds of active multiplayer servers. I'm very glad to say the community has never had a brush with death, or even come close to it.

Holy chesnuts! It's Doomkid! Thank you,dear veteran, for taking your time responding on this normie's post:)

Who you calling kid, punk?

Just kidding, welcome and all that. You should find Doomworld has a lower than normal dickhead quotient compared to most other online gathering places.

shameless self-PR: the community is doing so well that even some sourceports abandoned 10+ years ago are resurrected sometimes. ;-) i mean, if there are people picking up old code and start working on it again, for me it is a clear sign that the comminuty is healthy and there are no signs of decay in sight. ;-)

Yeah the Doom community has never really died, or come close to it. There's been some schisms and rifts that have cropped up over the years, but it's stayed pretty active. I still can't believe that I'm still visiting this site regularly 20 years after I opened an account, 26 years after I started playing Doom in the first place. It's amazing how far source ports and the technical advancements have come when we're talking about a game released nearly 30 years ago.

I think a big part of why it's still so popular is that it's just so damn easy to work with Doom, so new content is constantly being released. And there's a sense of decorum on the forums here that I haven't really seen anywhere else. Occasionally there will be arguments, but for the most part people treat each other with respect. The old-timers still welcome new people into the community, and are willing to offer advice and assistance to newcomers, even with things completely unrelated to Doom itself. I don't know how many threads I've participated in trying to help troubleshoot computer problems for people, or trying to help people figure out why a game wasn't working on their system. Or just general bullshitting.

It feels like an actual community of people with a shared interest, and generally a rational and well grounded attitude. There are exceptions, but I've personally never found a forum that's quite like Doomworld.

So yeah, welcome to the fold @Meddy, hope you enjoy your time here.

Hi Meddy,

On 1/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, Meddy said:

Well every community I believe had hard times with drama and controversies or key members resigning(or even worse dying). Right? 

Semi-right. O course there were hard, technologically challenging and sad moments in the history of doomworld, but here are so many talented and devoted doomers,
techs and admins, who gladly jump in whenever needed, that the show will go on for quite a very long time, I guess.

19 hours ago, Murdoch said:

You should find Doomworld has a lower than normal dickhead quotient compared to most other online gathering places.

Please be assured, I am doing my best to keep the balance :-)
so...welcome to (y)our DOOM!

I'm relatively new here myself, but Doomworld hardly slows down or declines from what I've seen. Even if nobody's making posts, there's still people commenting or replying to other posts made earlier and some posts are years old with new comments on them. Sometimes it depends on what's being discussed and if it's a discussion topic or more of a "I need help with X" type of thing, and even then, you might get 10/20/30/40 answers. 

As for drama, I haven't seen much "new" drama, though sometimes you'll hear about the drama behind Brutal Doom or Project Brutality and things like that. 

But hello and welcome, I hope you find what you're looking for! (Also, if you need suggestions for old shooters like Heretic/Hexen, there are A LOT of people to help you find them and get them working. I asked for suggestions here back around Christmas and got a lot of good games and advice from the community here.)

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Welcome to DWF! :3

Also I read the title and my mind went straight to this image:

Chris Hansen

Huh, I figured it was a reference to this:

4b2.gif

11 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Welcome to DWF! :3

Also I read the title and my mind went straight to this image:

Hide contents

chrishansen.jpg.f70f12a4826451111214c6e032e05846.jpg

Who is that?

10 hours ago, Jello said:

Huh, I figured it was a reference to this:

4b2.gif

Yeah that was what I intended:) But I want to make it something more to represent myself.

12 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I'm relatively new here myself, but Doomworld hardly slows down or declines from what I've seen. Even if nobody's making posts, there's still people commenting or replying to other posts made earlier and some posts are years old with new comments on them. Sometimes it depends on what's being discussed and if it's a discussion topic or more of a "I need help with X" type of thing, and even then, you might get 10/20/30/40 answers. 

As for drama, I haven't seen much "new" drama, though sometimes you'll hear about the drama behind Brutal Doom or Project Brutality and things like that. 

But hello and welcome, I hope you find what you're looking for! (Also, if you need suggestions for old shooters like Heretic/Hexen, there are A LOT of people to help you find them and get them working. I asked for suggestions here back around Christmas and got a lot of good games and advice from the community here.)

Thank you and glad to join! I would be happy to see your suggestions.

5 hours ago, Meddy said:

Who is that?

Yeah that was what I intended:) But I want to make it something more to represent myself.

I am too old. Which movis is that?

3 hours ago, DoomGater said:

I am too old. Which movis is that?

Yeah it's from an episode of 30 Rock. Which that's really the only scene I've watched from that show simply because I can't stand Alec Baldwin.

But I love me my Steve Buscemi.