Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DevilMyEyes

A small problem I have with New ID Software..//nevermind

Hello there, amazing people.

Today I want to talk about something that might be a bit controversial for some people but, here's the thing..Am I the only one who is d o n e with these reboots of the ips from the old id? I only played DOOM 2016 and don't get me wrong, it is definetly one of my favourites doom games that I ever played. Yet, I still have to play Eternal and the dlcs so, my opinion can change radically. So, back to the point..what i'm worried the most is that Id Software is not gonna make a new game from scratch like they did back in the 90's and well...who knows? maybe they can shut me up and make another groundbreaking game and I'll be forever happy but, it still didn't happen..maybe i'm a edgy nu-boomer 16 years old kid that is too hyped for the "next classic" of id software. Only time can tell, I guess. What do you think about this? Let me know in the comments, I'll greatly read all of your comments if possible.

Edited by DevilMyEyes

The problem of starting a new series (or, in today's technocratic jargon, a new IP) is that it's a risky endeavor. With an existing franchise, you have an established fanbase that will be interested in the new title. Look at how the old Fallout fansites talk about Bethesda's Fallouts despite being the first to say these games have nothing in common with their beloved classics?

A good illustration of this is what happened the last time Id Software tried to make a new setting. Rage was a commercial and critical failure; or at least a disappointment.

8 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

Hello there, amazing people.

Today I want to talk about something that might be a bit controversial for some people but, here's the thing..Am I the only one who is d o n e with these reboots of the ips from the old id? I only played DOOM 2016 and don't get me wrong, it is definetly one of my favourites doom games that I ever played. Yet, I still have to play Eternal and the dlcs so, my opinion can change radically.

• ''Who is done with these reboots from the old Id?''
  • ''Doom 2016 is one of my favorite Doom games''
  • ''I still have to play Eternal so my opinion can change radically''

You are essentially backfiring your own question without having the full picture.

So, back to the point..what i'm worried the most is that Id Software is not gonna make a new game from scratch like they did back in the 90's and well...who knows? maybe they can shut me up and make another groundbreaking game and I'll be forever happy but, it still didn't happen..maybe i'm a edgy nu-boomer 16 years old kid that is too hyped for the "next classic" of id software. Only time can tell, I guess. What do you think about this? Let me know in the comments, I'll greatly read all of your comments if possible.

Your worry is based on.. what, exactly? Rage was a technically competent but gameplaywise flawed shooter that nevertheless spawned a sequel that was better in a lot of respects. They have a homegrown engine that is among the best in class in a sea of Unreal Engine, Unity and Frostbite engine titles. They have Tiago Sousa, one of the main blokes that worked on Cryengine 2 onboard.

I see no problems.

I am certain they will try something new in the future, because I doubt they will just turn into Doom factories now.

It just depends on when that's gonna happen, last time was over a decade ago with Rage and that came with fairly mixed results. Rage 2, while a step in the right direction, was not without its issues either.

14 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:
  • ''Who is done with these reboots from the old Id?''
  • ''Doom 2016 is one of my favorite Doom games''
  • ''I still have to play Eternal so my opinion can change radically''

You are essentially backfiring your own question without having the full picture.

Your worry is based on.. what, exactly? Rage was a technically competent but gameplaywise flawed shooter that nevertheless spawned a sequel that was better in a lot of respects. They have a homegrown engine that is among the best in class in a sea of Unreal Engine, Unity and Frostbite engine titles. They have Tiago Sousa, one of the main blokes that worked on Cryengine 2 onboard.

I see no problems.

I like the reboots but I want to see new ips from id software and yeah, there's Rage, problem is I'm not interested in it. It's just another shooter. 

Edit: I would love something like a Horror game

Honestly, I don’t really care for now. Eternal was an amazing game and improved on the reboot’s new formula( I know people will disagree with me, but I assure you.. I do not care).

I doubt that ID would want to become Bethesda’s cow and milk the franchise  until it becomes a decaying corpse( *cough , call of duty, cough*). 

I just want a singleplayer Quake reboot, than I can die relatively happy.

I want to see new ips from id software and yeah, there's Rage, problem is I'm not interested in it. It's just another shooter.

Well, shooters is all that id has done ever since they stopped making platformers. From Wolfenstein/Spear of Destiny to Doom/Doom II to Quake to Quake II to Quake III to Doom 3 to Rage to Doom 2016 to Doom Eternal, just a long unbroken line of shooters.

Like, if they tried to make a horror game, it'd be a horror shooter, like Doom 3.

8 minutes ago, Gez said:

Well, shooters is all that id has done ever since they stopped making platformers. From Wolfenstein/Spear of Destiny to Doom/Doom II to Quake to Quake II to Quake III to Doom 3 to Rage to Doom 2016 to Doom Eternal, just a long unbroken line of shooters.

Like, if they tried to make a horror game, it'd be a horror shooter, like Doom 3.

That's true, and what about the initial idea they had with Quake? You know, that trans-dimensional RPG with heavy focus on the character, storytelling...

Do you think it could turn into a good id game? xD

26 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

I like the reboots but I want to see new ips from id software

Okay. And you were looking for people with similar opinions or?

So far i have read a wishlist of what you want iD Software to do somewhere in the future.

7 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

That's true, and what about the initial idea they had with Quake? You know, that trans-dimensional RPG with heavy focus on the character, storytelling...

Its significantly different from the Quake we got, so nobody can say for sure if iD can pull of an RPG that way.

11 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

Tom Hall was fired for trying something like that with Doom...:/

So, no, they polished the formula and released a proper a new FPS shooter with 3D models instead.

All this ''what f...'' are just for fun, but well, you are still young, you will grow to see how things turn out.

Even if something went wrong, you still have the game you like, like Doom and all the somewhat infinite content it has.

You need more than one life to play all the wads and all the mods out there.

5 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Okay. And you were looking for people with similar opinions or?

Yeah, I was looking for someone that shared the same opinion xD but now, who cares anyways..If Id Software brings out a freaking Quake Reboot I will cry of joy.

To analize a new IP, as a Developer you need to know what's its needed, what it's trending and what should be the best way to do it.

I really don't see the New ID (or at least, the Doom devs) doing a inmersive horror style of game, and if they do, i trink it's will play something like Wolfestein but with a bizzare map settings and maybe maps gimmicks instead of player gimmicks.

1 hour ago, DevilMyEyes said:

I like the reboots but I want to see new ips from id software and yeah, there's Rage, problem is I'm not interested in it. It's just another shooter. 

Edit: I would love something like a Horror game

The devs involved would need to be interested in the genre for that to happen. There are certain companies that do certain kinds of games well and they stick to that. id's the big boomer shooter company and so they will stick to that genre. They stick to what they know, because, like music, if they try a new sound or genre, immediately there will be a flood of people saying "they should just stick to what they do best!" Financially and sanity wise it makes the most sense.
Edit: they tried horror in the form of Doom 3. We know how that went.

6 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

The devs involved would need to be interested in the genre for that to happen. There are certain companies that do certain kinds of games well and they stick to that. id's the big boomer shooter company and so they will stick to that genre. They stick to what they know, because, like music, if they try a new sound or genre, immediately there will be a flood of people saying "they should just stick to what they do best!" Financially and sanity wise it makes the most sense.

You are right, Id software is basically like AC/DC right now they never change at all, lol. I'm the weirdo here that wants a change but deep inside me, I'll buy any fps that ID makes.

42 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Tom Hall was fired for trying something like that with Doom...:/

So, no, they polished the formula and released a proper a new FPS shooter with 3D models instead.

All this ''what f...'' are just for fun, but well, you are still young, you will grow to see how things turn out.

Even if something went wrong, you still have the game you like, like Doom and all the somewhat infinite content it has.

You need more than one life to play all the wads and all the mods out there.

Yeah, Until the next thing that id makes I gotta try out more wads, I feel like i'm missing masterpieces out there...

13 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

You are right, Id software is basically like AC/DC right now they never change at all, lol. I'm the weirdo here that wants a change but deep inside me, I'll buy any fps that ID makes.

I get that, I'd try a new Id thing that wasn't purely an fps, but at the same time, I'd love to see a new fps ip from them.
I got to agree though, a new single player Quake would be quite nice to see.

7 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I get that, I'd try a new Id thing that wasn't purely an fps, but at the same time, I'd love to see a new fps ip from them.
I got to agree though, a new single player Quake would be quite nice to see.

Seeing Ranger back at shooting Lovecraftian beasts could be fucking amazing and also, I wouldn't mind a Heretic/Hexen reboot now that i think about it, it's a complete different thing than doom.

2 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

Seeing Ranger back at shooting Lovecraftian beasts could be fucking amazing and also, I wouldn't mind a Heretic/Hexen reboot now that i think about it, it's a complete different thing than doom.

I cannot describe how cool both of those ideas would be. I wish Raven software wasn't stuck in the call of duty mines for the dissolution of eternity(I hate Activision so much). 

3 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

I cannot describe how cool both of those ideas would be. I wish Raven software wasn't stuck in the call of duty mines for the dissolution of eternity(I hate Activision so much). 

Hell yes, Raven software needs to go back to their roots someday..

2 hours ago, DevilMyEyes said:

Am I the only one who is d o n e with these reboots of the ips from the old id?

You say "reboots", plural. Other than Doom 2016, what other reboots have id Software done?

7 minutes ago, Bauul said:

You say "reboots", plural. Other than Doom 2016, what other reboots have id Software done?

I may be wrong but I think Doom Eternal is another reboot from id

Edit: Doom 3 is kinda like a reboot isn't it? 

I have the feeling they will be going with Quake next, I hope.

Since Quake Champions, where there's the Doom Slayer and Original Quake1 guy and several other characters.

Also at the beginning I thought they were referencing that Commando girl, (can't remember what her name was) to Commander Keen.

It would be nice to see a Keen reboot of sorts as well, but again I have the feeling they're gonna be going with a Quake1 reboot, and I hope it's based on the first Quake! 

On the side of the current Doom Eternal, I hope they continue to add content and hopefully bring a type of map editor back, but not a SnapMap, maybe have it so the engine supported Pwads, I know that's a lot to ask, but it would be pretty cool. :D

Edited by Mr.Rocket

8 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I have the feeling they will be going with Quake next, I hope.

Since Quake Champions, where there's the Doom Slayer and Original Quake1 guy and several other characters.

Also at the beginning I thought they were referencing that Commando girl, (can't remember what her name was) to Commander Keen.

It would be nice to see a Keen reboot of sorts as well, but again I have the feeling they're gonna be going with a Quake1 reboot, and I hope it's based on the first Quake! 

On the side of the current Doom Eternal, I hope they continue to add content and hopefully bring a type of map editor back, but not a SnapMap, maybe have it so the engine supported Pwads, I know that's a lot to ask, but it would be pretty cool. :D

It would be a dream come true if Pwads are a thing in the modern id tech, it will also give a huge longevity in terms of modding, mapping..And yeah! I hope the reboot is based on Quake's Lovecraft theme and I would also love a new story, kinda like these new doom games. Imagine fighting Nyarlathotep...It is so much more threatning than Shub-Niggurath. Just look at it!

image.png.455da83efaec3de90f14c9343e214bb0.png

1 hour ago, DevilMyEyes said:

Hell yes, Raven software needs to go back to their roots someday..

1 hour ago, Silhou3tte said:

Sorry for derail here, but we need to know that if a studio it's more than 20 years old, i am pretty sure even if a hypotetical Hexen/Heretic comes back with Raven, it's may be with the ideals of the new Raven, you know the one that help to make CoD Campaings and Zombies maps?

Trust me if i say if a old game come back again, let's say again Hexen, im more trustful in a new developer/company instead of the older one. At least the new one may fit with the standars of the game. 

20 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Sorry for derail here, but we need to know that if a studio it's more than 20 years old, i am pretty sure even if a hypotetical Hexen/Heretic comes back with Raven, it's may be with the ideals of the new Raven, you know the one that help to make CoD Campaings and Zombies maps?

Trust me if i say if a old game come back again, let's say again Hexen, im more trustful in a new developer/company instead of the older one. At least the new one may fit with the standars of the game. 

I see your point, though I’m referring to the old Raven Software and it’s ideals. It’s more wishful thinking than anything else. Wanting a talented company to embrace it’s past and the ideals of their past games.