Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DevilMyEyes

A small problem I have with New ID Software..//nevermind

Has Raven done anything with id Tech since Wolfenstein(2009)? They just moved to Activision from that point?

Ah speaking of Wolfenstein, I'm surprised that Splash Damage hasn't done anything with Wolfenstein New Order and made an ET version of it, that woulda been cool. ~ well no multiplayer mechanics..

2 hours ago, DevilMyEyes said:

I may be wrong but I think Doom Eternal is another reboot from id

Edit: Doom 3 is kinda like a reboot isn't it? 

It's a fair point, although not without precedence. Arguably Doom 3 is a sequel like Quake 2 is a sequel to Quake 1. It's a continuation of the series' gameplay and concept rather than story connotations. 

However, if you feel that a reboot is specifically about the story continuation, then Doom 2016 isn't a reboot either, given it's a direct sequel to Doom 64, which itself was a direct sequel to Doom 2.

Wait, is Doom 16 a reboot? Isn't it pretty heavily implied to be a sequel in the storyline, not to mention in terms of gameplay?

I guess the line between the two is fuzzy these days but I generally figure reboots to be full of retcons yet I see practically none with the Doom series, other than kinda-sorta-not-really writing Doom3 out of the picture. Even then some clear Doom3 elements made their way into 16..

EDIT: Didn't realize this thread had a page 2, Bauul is literally talking about this the post above mine!

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Wait, is Doom 16 a reboot? Isn't it pretty heavily implied to be a sequel in the storyline, not to mention in terms of gameplay?

I guess the line between the two is fuzzy these days but I generally figure reboots to be full of retcons yet I see practically none with the Doom series, other than kinda-sorta-not-really writing Doom3 out of the picture. Even then some clear Doom3 elements made their way into 16..

EDIT: Didn't realize this thread had a page 2, Bauul is literally talking about this the post above mine!

To me, Doom 4 is a bit of a mix of both. It is technically a sequel but it introduces a new Doomguy design, a new artstyle, new demon designs, and is overall a far-cry from the original games. So unless there's a better word for it, I call it a reboot.

I didn't feel like it really was all that far off from the old Dooms, as far as post-2000s games go I can't think of anything that feels more Doom-like or even comes close, but I suppose there's enough in the way of new elements to call it a reboot as opposed to a sequel (and that those terms have become more interchangeable with time)

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I didn't feel like it really was all that far off from the old Dooms, as far as post-2000s games go I can't think of anything that feels more Doom-like or even comes close, but I suppose there's enough in the way of new elements to call it a reboot as opposed to a sequel (and that those terms have become more interchangeable with time)

It may just be me, but I think they changed the gameplay to be alot more Quake-like then regular Doom. Y'know since you're jumping around and shooting, as opposed to just running around a large maze with a shotgun and hit-and-running demons. 

I feel like id Software does need to expand their horizons and see what other types of games they can make, but with that comes the risk of being too ambitious and absolutely failing like some post-Doom shooters did. They did a great job at spiritually "rebooting" Doom and Wolfenstein (they need to reboot Quake eventually) to an extent, but even there, they run a chance of flooding the world with an abundance of rebooted games. I, for one, wouldn't mind if they put some expertise into making a new Fallout game with better gunplay elements (not id as a whole, but more of a collaboration).

And as GraphicBleeder said, I do see Quake elements in Doom Eternal, both from the way they expect the player to move around and even interact with maps to the enemies doing the same. (You know, move here, shoot this, punch this to open that)

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I think "soft reboot" is the best term for it. Something new people can walk into with zero experience of the previous games and not miss any real content or context, except for not fully understanding what it meant for Doomguy to be emerging from that coffin at the start. But, at the same time, respecting and acknowledging its predecessors without displacing them from canonicity.

In film, I'd say Jurassic World did the same thing largely. Aside from the JP t-shirt, a single mention of John Hammond, and the kids finding the jeep and the night vision goggles in the old visitor center, it was very much a standalone story. It was also called a soft reboot.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, bobstremglav said:

Before they gonna make something new, WE NEED REBOOT OF DANGEROUS DAVE.

Joking.

/           \

-- --QUAKE 1-- --

Reboot, remake, remaster...

I want a completely new game