Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

Introducing: the DOOM_Demon (RISC-V based co-processor for Doom FPGA)

Introduction:

Remember the Doom on a FPGA thread? Ofcourse you didn't, you didn't comment on it! ;) In it, Sylvain Lefebvre describes his DOOM-Chip - Essentially a custom chip (No processor!) made on a FPGA to solely play DOOM. The Doom algorithm/rendering is 666 (heh) lines of code. A complete description is given, so stop by at the following link:

But Lefebvre has gone much, much further.

Introducing the DOOM_Demon.

So what is the DOOM_Demon?

The DOOM_Demon is a RISC-V based processor that acts as a co-processor to the DOOM-Chip. All game logic is moved over to this specialized processor.  This ofcourse allows for completely new effects. In the video below, a platform is raised showing an interactive texture doing the melting effect from within Doom, calculated by the RISC-V processor. It also highlights that the DOOM_Demon is aware of its surroundings, showing off some impressive dynamic lighting effects.

Additional details:

Lefebvre has written an extensive explanation on how the DOOM_Demon works. Because all data is visible to the co-processor, it can manipulate everything in the scene. I have put this under a spoiler to keep the thread readable.

This, along with @kgsws ACE Engine is a monumental and unique expression on the question: ''How can we play Doom?'' and its beyond fascinating.
@Doomkid get in here! :P

Spoiler

Ok, thats something really surprising and impressive.

I've once read that it is only one Step between beeing a Genius or a Maniac.

And i love everything and everybody jumping forth and back on this small Line (also doing it myself).

This definivly does it.

Coming soon, Doom is modded into a game of Monopoly.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Do not retain your soul.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:41 PM, Doomkid said:

This is really impressive stuff, thanks for sharing!

You are welcome! I am aware that these unusual threads don't generate as much recognition as asking why a Zombieman is green or how Lost Souls travel through the air, but unusual Doom is still Doom, however unusual.

It does not beat Doom on a pregnancy test, but its surely a completely nerdy and visually impressive way to do Doom.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:44 PM, Dark Pulse said:

Coming soon, Doom is modded into a game of Monopoly.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Do not retain your soul.

Shouldn't that be "Do not pass Go.  Do not collect 200 health"?