Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hazel-Rah

Greetings!

2 minutes ago, Hazel-Rah said:

Hello, I'm pretty new to Doom and this community and I'm super psyched to start digging into this community. 

A friend gifted me the classic Doom games for christmas and I've been slowly making my way through them. Finished Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, attempted Plutonia but got scared off by the third map and am now making my way through TNT Evilution. I also have Doom 3 and 2016 to look forward to at some point. 

Nice to meet you all :) Also if anyone would like to recommend some mods or maps for me to start out with, that would be nice. 

Nice to meet you too! 

I don't have many mod or map recommendations, but I can recommend some games that might be of interest. Doom 64 is definitely a good choice, since it retains the gameplay features from earlier Doom games but also looks fairly different from them as well. Thematically different in some ways too. And if you don't have a PC, it should be available on whatever platform you use. Heretic/Hexen is also similar to Doom, but set in medieval fantasy and you're not limited to horizontal vision. The Quake games are good to play too, the themes being medieval fantasy with guns (except Quake 2 and Quake 4, which are more sci-fi). Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour is good too. Oh, and Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. 

Spaghetti Weapons, Corruption Cards, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, those are all pretty good. Spaghetti Weapons is pretty funny too, since it basically replaces normal weapons with stuff that's wacky or makes no sense (such as a scoped knife or a deck of cards).

Ashes 2063, Treasure Tech Land, Golden Souls, those are good ones I know about. I've heard Nuts and Lilith.pk3 are good too, but very wacky. If you use Steam, you can play Shrine 1 & 2 for free.

1 minute ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Nice to meet you too! 

I don't have many mod or map recommendations, but I can recommend some games that might be of interest. Doom 64 is definitely a good choice, since it retains the gameplay features from earlier Doom games but also looks fairly different from them as well. Thematically different in some ways too. And if you don't have a PC, it should be available on whatever platform you use. Heretic/Hexen is also similar to Doom, but set in medieval fantasy and you're not limited to horizontal vision. The Quake games are good to play too, the themes being medieval fantasy with guns (except Quake 2 and Quake 4, which are more sci-fi). Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour is good too. Oh, and Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. 

Spaghetti Weapons, Corruption Cards, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, those are all pretty good. Spaghetti Weapons is pretty funny too, since it basically replaces normal weapons with stuff that's wacky or makes no sense (such as a scoped knife or a deck of cards).

Ashes 2063, Treasure Tech Land, Golden Souls, those are good ones I know about. I've heard Nuts and Lilith.pk3 are good too, but very wacky. If you use Steam, you can play Shrine 1 & 2 for free.

Ahh, thank you! I have the Quake 1 + 2 on my Steam as well as Heretic/Hexen but never got around to playing those. Guess I should do that soon then. :) 

I would recommend taking a look at @Doomkid 's vanilla WAD pack. Lots of great introductory WADs and other well-loved classics of the Doom community.

Highly recommend you give this a look first:

Anyway, welcome - enjoy your stay here! :)

Hello!
For map recommendations, this topic:

is pretty good, compiling a bunch of good wads, ranging from ez pz to doom god territory. You can check it out, pick a wad of your choice, and start playing it. There's a couple of wads in there that should match your skill level.

DOOM 3 isn't really seen as a highlight in the franchise. Play it if you want, but personally, I prefer to pretend it didn't exist.

What source port are you using? 

24 minutes ago, Hazel-Rah said:

attempted Plutonia but got scared off by the third map 

You kidding me? Your profile pic comes from the most terrifying cartoons of all time and you're scared of a few hundred revenants?

Jocking aside, welcome. For cool wads, check out the cacowards page, then things start snowballing. Fast.

Just now, LudicrousFPS said:

Hello!
For map recommendations, this topic:

is pretty good, compiling a bunch of good wads, ranging from ez pz to doom god territory. You can check it out, pick a wad of your choice, and start playing it. 

DOOM 3 isn't really seen as a highlight in the franchise. Play it if you want, but personally, I prefer to pretend it didn't exist.

What source port are you using? 

Thank you kindly for the link, it seems super helpful! :) 
I'm using GZDoom.

1 minute ago, Snark said:

You kidding me? Your profile pic comes from the most terrifying cartoons of all time and you're scared of a few hundred revenants?

Jocking aside, welcome. For cool wads, check out the cacowards page, then things start snowballing. Fast.

Just play Bright Eyes over some footage of an archvile attacking you, i'm sure it'd make things a thousand times better. :P 

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I would recommend taking a look at @Doomkid 's vanilla WAD pack. Lots of great introductory WADs and other well-loved classics of the Doom community.

Highly recommend you give this a look first:

Anyway, welcome - enjoy your stay here! :)

This looks incredible, thank you! :) I'm sure I will.

Ahh, thank you! I have the Quake 1 + 2 on my Steam as well as Heretic/Hexen but never got around to playing those. Guess I should do that soon then. :) 

No problem! There are sourceports for Quake 1+2 if you need them, and Heretic/Hexen runs on most Doom sourceports (except Hexen 2, which you'll need the Hammer of Thyrion sourceport for). Also a patch for Deathkings of the Dark Citadel.

10 minutes ago, Hazel-Rah said:

Thank you kindly for the link, it seems super helpful! :) 
I'm using GZDoom.

GZDoom, while not the most vanilla of experiences, is a good sourceport, especially for mods. It's very versatile, as you can customize it to either be (sort of) like vanilla, or turn on things like free look, jumping, texture filtering, dynamic lights, etc. In addition, it runs basically everything you throw at it.
There are plenty of very good mods that you can use if you like. These range from simple visual changes, to new weapons, to total conversions. 

Just now, LudicrousFPS said:

GZDoom, while not the most vanilla of experiences, is a very good sourceport, especially for mods. It's very versatile, as you can customize it to either be (sort of) like vanilla, or turn on things like free look, jumping, texture filtering, dynamic lights, etc. In addition, it runs basically everything you throw at it.
There are plenty of very good mods that you can use if you like. These range from simple visual changes, to new weapons, to total conversions. 

total conversions do sound pretty interesting. Are there any lists of those? :)

total conversions do sound pretty interesting. Are there any lists of those? :)

I'm not the most proficient in knowledge of mods, basically all of the mods I know come from this guy's videos

A very popular one is Brutal Doom, which adds about 5 coats of fresh paint to Doom, making it more akin to a modern day FPS. You'll hear that name pop up some here, people either love it or hate it

Ludicrous is right about Brutal Doom, it's got new weapons, vehicles, powerups, and an optional amount of blood and guts. Enemies can also have different behavior too. If you play it, try out it's test map, it's basically a sandbox to play with weapons, vehicles, powerups, etc. And you can spawn in whatever enemies you want, in pretty much any amount.

Welcome to this beautifuly ancient community. You'll find lots of good stuff here and if you want some WADs to star with, I recommend this thread I made some time ago:

9 hours ago, LudicrousFPS said:

I'm not the most proficient in knowledge of mods, basically all of the mods I know come from this guy's videos

A very popular one is Brutal Doom, which adds about 5 coats of fresh paint to Doom, making it more akin to a modern day FPS. You'll hear that name pop up some here, people either love it or hate it

9 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Ludicrous is right about Brutal Doom, it's got new weapons, vehicles, powerups, and an optional amount of blood and guts. Enemies can also have different behavior too. If you play it, try out it's test map, it's basically a sandbox to play with weapons, vehicles, powerups, etc. And you can spawn in whatever enemies you want, in pretty much any amount.

Sounds super sweet, I'll give that a look then :)

7 hours ago, Endless said:

Welcome to this beautifuly ancient community. You'll find lots of good stuff here and if you want some WADs to star with, I recommend this thread I made some time ago:

This is an amazing thread, thank you for sending it my way.

11 hours ago, Hazel-Rah said:

Plutonia but got scared off by the third map and am now making my way through TNT Evilution. 

Plutonia is very unforgiving on a blind run, but once you know the map and what traps are ahead, it gets easier. It's still a fair bit harder than Evilution but completely doable. I say beat TNT and give Plutonia another shot. 

Edited by paturn : Typo

6 minutes ago, paturn said:

Plutonia is very unforgiving on a blind run, but once you know the map and what traps are hard, it gets easier. It's still a fair bit harder than Evilution but completely doable. I say beat TNT and give Plutonia another shot. 

I think I might do that, yeah. I did progress a little further in Plutonia, up to map 4 now.

Btw, I recommend you to play Plutonia with the fan made midi pack. 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/plutmidi

Plutonia just reuses music from Doom and Doom II, which gets boring after a while and frankly doesn't fit most of the maps well. The midi pack replaces all the original tracks and provides a completely different (and better) experience.

2 minutes ago, paturn said:

Btw, I recommend you to play Plutonia with the fan made midi pack. 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/plutmidi

Plutonia just reuses music from Doom and Doom II, which gets boring after a while and frankly doesn't fit most of the maps well. The midi pack replaces all the original tracks and provides a completely different (and better) experience.

I have done so, and you're right. The music is beautiful
Hopefully I get a chance to listen to it all :P

Also, the /idgames or /files portal is usually where you find levels, and it was also used earlier for Gameplay mods, but ZDoom (GZDoom/LZDoom) based gameplay mods are found on ZDoom
Btw thanks a ton for linking the wad progression and vanilla wad pack threads.

Sorry for the double post, but

13 hours ago, LudicrousFPS said:

It's a good mod and all, but some people call it the best while there are tons of other mods out there that do that and more. And the fact that some people call it the "true way to play Doom" is what causes arguments.

Welcome bro,you just entered one of the most addicting communities ever,since there's an infinite amount of custom campaigns for an really old game,so it's hard to become bored with Doom,hope you will have a good time here! :)

8 minutes ago, OxalaiaQuilombensis said:

Welcome bro,you just entered one of the most addicting communities ever,since there's an infinite amount of custom campaigns for an really old game,so it's hard to become bored with Doom,hope you will have a good time here! :)

Haha, I can see that. I'm sure I will :) Quite a few of the fan campaigns/wadpacks look a bit.. challenging tho and I'm not too good with challenging stuff :P 

Hey, if you ever happen to be overwhelmed by GZDoom’s unnecessarily large amount of options and are looking for something different, I recommend PRBoom+, which is one of the fastest Doom ports and is mostly easy to use. Only downside is that it’s only compatible for “Vanilla, Boom and MBF” wads, so use GZDoom for ZDoom mods.