Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snark

15 map megawad, need testing

I tried to load this up in prboom and got an error. I looked in Slade and it's because the TITLEPIC, INTERPIC, and CREDIT are still jpegs. Looks good though! I'll say more when I finish playing.

I blazed through the first three, no problems noted, except that the death trap after yellow didn't kill me.

Holy hit scanners though in green. :p

Tested in gzDoom.

19 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

I tried to load this up in prboom and got an error. I looked in Slade and it's because the TITLEPIC, INTERPIC, and CREDIT are still jpegs. Looks good though! I'll say more when I finish playing.

Dang, of course I forgot to convert them. Thanks a mil for pointing this out, I'll correct it.

Reckon I'll record more of these, but here's MAP01 for now.

Fun little level, and gorgeous. Those hitscanners might have been a bit unfair in the tiered outdoor area...

Excellent work, I sure wish if you changed your mind and expanded this into a full megawad eventually. The difficulty is on the low side, but it was actually refreshing to play something without endless archvile grind for a change. I played on UV in GZdoom 4.5.0 and I noticed some bugs along the way:

MAP09: 100% kills is impossible, because monster closet with cacos 287 and 288 never opened, even though I run over linedef 4892 several times. The same problem happened with revenants 1232 and 1233.

MAP10: player can become stuck in sector 895.

MAP12: this death exit didn't work, I had 200/200 health/armor and I survived.

MAP14: cyberdemon in the yellow key area can get very easily stuck on the central switch, this needs to be redesigned somehow. Cacodemon 481 is so deep it can never see the player, thus 100% kills is impossible. Also, 4 sectors are tagged as secret, but I think none of them should be.

MAP15: missing textures on 3 linedefs 5329 etc.

Screenshot_Doom_20210122_114626.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210122_141924.png

I played up to the end of map06 and I decided to record my playthrough for some reason. Overall, I really enjoyed the combat. It was slightly easy so far, but that's okay. I liked the visuals too and the use of texture.

I played with prboom+ with compatibility 2, and there were some big problems with compatibility. As it stands, I think this is something that will only work in ZDoom ports, so I would either change OP to say that, or fix the issues. Right now it says it's limit-removing, which will make people assume prboom+ would work. I ended up stopping at map06 because of the issues. I'll list out all the common problems below, all of which can be seen in my gameplay:

• The "boundary skies" don't work
  • There are several unusable switches and doors. This is because in default doom compatibility, you can't activate switches behind a linedef that already has an action. There are several examples in map03 where switches are located closely behind scrolling linedefs, and thus can't be activated. There is also a door in map05 I had to noclip through for this reason
  • The death exit in map03 doesn't work, my body wasn't propelled far enough by the barrels and I didn't hit the linedef. You could make it teleport onto an icon of sin
  • There is a blocking hanging decoration in map06
  • The walls at the end of map06 didn't lower all the way. I looked in the editor and I have no idea why

I just got a new mouse and it was glitching out, so that's why I was shooting all weird in map02.

I enjoyed what I saw so far!

Just played the first map. Its pretty good. The use of textures is very spot-on towards the overall architecture. I really appreciate the steampunk-industrial-hellish-like design of the WAD. The map layout is also very interesting to traverse upon and the structures are well done and suited for many of the enemies placed throughout the map . Its a very good as the first map in the wad. I also like the transitions from the early parts of the map with the narrow industrial spaces with complex designs to the more wide-open outside-exteriors and the steampunky open-fields. The enemies are well distributed and are well-balanced. Overall, its a really good starting map for the wad. I will continue to play the other maps next week :)  in my game footage, My doom skills are a little rusty but I'll work on it :D

Gameplay footage:

On 1/21/2021 at 5:58 AM, Doom OG said:

I blazed through the first three, no problems noted, except that the death trap after yellow didn't kill me.

Holy hit scanners though in green. :p

Tested in gzDoom.

Thanks man, will redo the death exit, will change the hitscanners in the first map, you're not the only who found this BS

On 1/22/2021 at 1:27 AM, LordEntr0py said:

Reckon I'll record more of these, but here's MAP01 for now.

Fun little level, and gorgeous. Those hitscanners might have been a bit unfair in the tiered outdoor area...

Cheers mate, hitscanners being redesigned, thanks for your time, plus video footage is always appreciated. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:26 PM, Caleb13 said:

Excellent work, I sure wish if you changed your mind and expanded this into a full megawad eventually. The difficulty is on the low side, but it was actually refreshing to play something without endless archvile grind for a change. I played on UV in GZdoom 4.5.0 and I noticed some bugs along the way:

Awesome, you actually played through the whole damn thing... Thanks a million for your time, looking for these bugs, even actually opening the maps must have been hugely time consuming, I owe you one. Fixing the problems and tweaking some stuff, glad you enjoyed it, it's on the easy side cause I'm just not that good at Doom. I'm not sure I'll get it to an actual 32-mapper, as I actually find full megawads a tad too long for my personal taste, but  I was thinking of adding an extra 3-map "episode", or maybe making each episode 5 maps long instead of three, so who knows, things might snowball.

Once again, mega Kudos, your help was invaluable

On 1/23/2021 at 3:57 AM, Arbys550 said:

I played up to the end of map06 and I decided to record my playthrough for some reason. Overall, I really enjoyed the combat. It was slightly easy so far, but that's okay. I liked the visuals too and the use of texture.

I played with prboom+ with compatibility 2, and there were some big problems with compatibility. As it stands, I think this is something that will only work in ZDoom ports, so I would either change OP to say that, or fix the issues. Right now it says it's limit-removing, which will make people assume prboom+ would work. I ended up stopping at map06 because of the issues. I'll list out all the common problems below, all of which can be seen in my gameplay:

• The "boundary skies" don't work
  • There are several unusable switches and doors. This is because in default doom compatibility, you can't activate switches behind a linedef that already has an action. There are several examples in map03 where switches are located closely behind scrolling linedefs, and thus can't be activated. There is also a door in map05 I had to noclip through for this reason
  • The death exit in map03 doesn't work, my body wasn't propelled far enough by the barrels and I didn't hit the linedef. You could make it teleport onto an icon of sin
  • There is a blocking hanging decoration in map06
  • The walls at the end of map06 didn't lower all the way. I looked in the editor and I have no idea why

I just got a new mouse and it was glitching out, so that's why I was shooting all weird in map02.

I enjoyed what I saw so far!

I'm a TOTAL noob at the whole compatibility thingy, and must admit I only test on GZDoom, so yeah, I missed all this. My bad. I'm also quite, quite lazy and will probably just say this is for Zdoom ports, thanks a lot for pointing this out. Thanks also for going as far as you did despite the compatibility bugs, these videos help a lot, and glad you enjoyed what you did. Cheers.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

Just played the first map. Its pretty good. The use of textures is very spot-on towards the overall architecture. I really appreciate the steampunk-industrial-hellish-like design of the WAD. The map layout is also very interesting to traverse upon and the structures are well done and suited for many of the enemies placed throughout the map . Its a very good as the first map in the wad. I also like the transitions from the early parts of the map with the narrow industrial spaces with complex designs to the more wide-open outside-exteriors and the steampunky open-fields. The enemies are well distributed and are well-balanced. Overall, its a really good starting map for the wad. I will continue to play the other maps next week :)  in my game footage, My doom skills are a little rusty but I'll work on it :D

Gameplay footage:

Kudos for playing,  especially with vids, this really helps. If you keep on playing you might encounter some of the bugs mentionned above, none of them are critically gamebreaking but I should have a fixed version up by monday night if you prefer. Thanks a mil.

Heyo, I played through the first 8 maps on stream last night, hopefully some of the feedback I provided is helpful?

Maps 04 and 08 were the highlights in my book, map 04 especially. Map 08 had one really cool section (the red key section), but was let down by the drop in difficulty in the yellow key section - the 2 lifts (one descending, then the second lift ascending a little later on) were particularly underwhelming.

Overall I've enjoyed what I played, so good job!

14 hours ago, an_mutt said:

Heyo, I played through the first 8 maps on stream last night, hopefully some of the feedback I provided is helpful?

Maps 04 and 08 were the highlights in my book, map 04 especially. Map 08 had one really cool section (the red key section), but was let down by the drop in difficulty in the yellow key section - the 2 lifts (one descending, then the second lift ascending a little later on) were particularly underwhelming.

Overall I've enjoyed what I played, so good job!

Awesome, glad you mostly enjoyed this, watching you play this was great fun for me too, love to see how different people approach situations.

Gracias a million for your time, and your deliciously imaged custom title...

The death exit in Map03 is redundant since the target port is Zdoom-derived. (That means you could just write ResetInventory word in MAPINFO for Map04 and you'd be done)

The weird thing about this wad is the following: you took only the textures from the Resurgence but forgot to borrow the PLAYPAL (see the gif)

Moreover, using the first two music tracks the same as in the Resurgence, you're giving me a thought that you built the whole wad upon the Resurgence

IsThisBuiltUponResurgence.gif

3 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

The death exit in Map03 is redundant since the target port is Zdoom-derived. (That means you could just write ResetInventory word in MAPINFO for Map04 and you'd be done)

I realised that afterwards, but ended up thinking that an actual explosive death looked closer to "being disintegrated into  sub atomic particles by teleporter" than just taking your stuff away.

3 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

The weird thing about this wad is the following: you took only the textures from the Resurgence but forgot to borrow the PLAYPAL (see the gif)

I have no idea what a Playpal is, except maybe an online payment system to purchase light erotica magazines. But I'll look into it, thanks for taking the time to make that gif. I'm still learning the basics of the whole Slade thingy, any new info, like this, is very welcome. Cheers.

4 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Moreover, using the first two music tracks the same as in the Resurgence, you're giving me a thought that you built the whole wad upon the Resurgence

Spanish_Inquisition.jpg.dd5dea5ecb27d09faa6d8a0786bc84b8.jpg

I wasn't expecting that...

I'm not sure what you mean by me  BUILDING MY WHOLE WAD OVER RESURGENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!, I liked the textures, asked Joshy if I could take 'em, to which he acquiesced, and did some levels. If you mean that I took the entire wad and replaced the first 15 levels, you'll notice that levels 16 and onwards are the original Doom2 maps, and that  the commander keens are not replaced by Affrits. So no. The first two levels midis were chosen because they fitted the setting, nothing more.

Anyway, thanks for your time

A great set of short and sweet action packed maps. Thank you so much for the request. I have alot of fun making the intro of the video as bad and corny as it is.

I think your work here was really good. Excited for the harder levels.

41 minutes ago, Astro X said:

Glad you liked it, and thanks for doing this, all video footage is awesome. Cheers!

Oh, and it's 15 maps...

Edited by Snark

On 2/3/2021 at 12:00 PM, Snark said:

I have no idea what a Playpal is, except maybe an online payment system to purchase light erotica magazines. But I'll look into it, thanks for taking the time to make that gif. I'm still learning the basics of the whole Slade thingy, any new info, like this, is very welcome. Cheers.

A PLAYPAL is a file that stands for Play Palette. It instructs the coloring of textures and is used mainly for the Zdoom family of source ports as far as I am aware.  Basically some textures can look really funny if they don't have their Playpal that they need. In this case i don't think you need a playpal, but now you know what they are and what they do.

What I noticed is a lot of Sunlust type texturing more than anything else.

I cannot download this because it is .7z format. Change it to .zip.

8 hours ago, azerty said:

Had lots of fun with these 2 might play some more. Good job Snark!

Dude, I LOVE your playstyle, fast and furious, great fun to watch

Kudos

Great stuff again!

I love these brown tech bases. When making maps myself I also go for that rusty metal looking base. This is really a map pack for me I am loving it.

Spoiler

doom183.png.b0597cc926b16ec27100427577e7acc3.png

MAP03 playing on Woof. This won't be pressed, in case it's supposed to.

Spoiler

doom184.png.c056206987acdc37e91ff74a76c0d2ac.png

MAP04 I noticed the sky glitch behind this window. It glitches in later levels too.

Beautiful wad, it will definitely be something special. I'd like to suggest that you make the beginning somehow more memorable. The first impression is super important.

Edited by game