Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Martin-CAI

What do you expect from DLC2?

I expect even more people with less than an hour played on the dlc to bitch about it and to give it a negative review on steam just for being more difficult

4 hours ago, Plashe said:

I expect even more people with less than an hour played on the dlc to bitch about it and to give it a negative review on steam just for being more difficult

Its not badly designed and unfair, i quit after 2 tries. I play competitive PUBG so I know TRUE difficulty

I do hope Id has the integrity to stick to their difficulty and not cave to the masses like all the great franchises, but with the Microsoft acquisition, Im a little worried they might go for the "More money" route.

11 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Its not badly designed and unfair, i quit after 2 tries. I play competitive PUBG so I know TRUE difficulty

I do hope Id has the integrity to stick to their difficulty and not cave to the masses like all the great franchises, but with the Microsoft acquisition, Im a little worried they might go for the "More money" route.

Nah, doubt it, they care more about what sells than what gets the best steam reviews, and TAG sold well 

16 hours ago, Plashe said:

But it is a bit ignorant to ignore the Critic on certain points:

- The Level Design has to many small Areas, so that the Combat isn't as Fun as it was in the Maingame

- New Enemies are often just thrown in, so that an Encounter feels enlarged, this doesn't make it harder, only exhausting.

The Raise in Difficulty comes overall because the Level and Encounter Design seems lesser in Quality than the Maingame.

I like the Spectre Whiplashes and the Fights with Enemies with Spirits, but i really dislike the Level Design and thrown in Enemies after a long Encounter.

I had so much exciting Moments in the Base Game because of the Combat and some "oh, really?"-Moments.

But in the DLC it was vice versa, many " oh, really -,-?"-Moments and some few Exciting ones.

The DLC feels overall like a Expansion Pack of the 90s or early 2000s, made by another Company trying to mimic the Main Game but failing to be as good as because they don't understand what made it truly Fun.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, AtimZarr1 said:

The Codex in TAG1 already mentioned that his death would lead to all demons outside of Hell to be destroyed. This would both end the invasion but still allow for future Doom stories to be told.

The codex also says that the demons won't be able to exist in other dimensions once the dark lord is destroyed, so not only will every demon outside hell die, but all the other demons will be trapped in hell forever. I don't see how they can make another doom game given that basically the entire plot of the games is preventing demons from invading earth. The only way to make another game is if they do a hard reboot, or if they make a game that takes place before the dark lord is killed.

7 minutes ago, Azuris said:

But it is a bit ignorant to ignore the Critic on certain points:

- The Level Design has to many small Areas, so that the Combat isn't as Fun as it was in the Maingame

- New Enemies are often just thrown in, so that an Encounter feels enlarged, this doesn't make it harder, only exhausting.

The Raise in Difficulty comes overall because the Level and Encounter Design seems lesser in Quality than the Maingame.

I like the Spectre Whiplashes and the Fights with Enemies with Spirits, but i really dislike the Level Design and thrown in Enemies after a long Encounter.

I had so much exciting Moments in the Base Game because of the Combat and some "oh, really?"-Moments.

But in the DLC it was vice versa, many " oh, really -,-?"-Moments and some few Exciting ones.

The DLC feels overall like a Expansion Pack of the 90s or early 2000s, made by another Company trying to mimic the Main Game but failing to be as good as because they don't understand what made it truly Fun.

I agree with the small room part but I still don't think it's that big of an issue, Doom eternal was made with the idea "You earn the power fantasy that Doom 2016 handed to you" I think TAG does that perfectly with the new enemies and their placements, I do understand what you are saying but I think you're wrong, it sort of takes getting used to like the low ammo count and having to use a chainsaw much more

3 minutes ago, Bloxwess said:

The codex also says that the demons won't be able to exist in other dimensions once the dark lord is destroyed, so not only will every demon outside hell die, but all the other demons will be trapped in hell forever. I don't see how they can make another doom game given that basically the entire plot of the games is preventing demons from invading earth. The only way to make another game is if they do a hard reboot, or if they make a game that takes place before the dark lord is killed.

maybe the doom64 route where Doom Guy stays in hell beating up demons forever and there could also be a chance that demons will try finding out a way to leave earth and the plot would be doom guy stopping that but the dark lord has not been beaten so they might make it so that he doesn't die or he becomes part of doom guy or some weird shit like that, I doubt another reboot (soft or hard) will be coming anytime soon.

27 minutes ago, Bloxwess said:

Could pull a Zelda. Every game is a standalone, maybe connect it all in the bg with timelines or dimensional stuff for those interested.

21 minutes ago, Plashe said:

maybe the doom64 route where Doom Guy stays in hell beating up demons forever and there could also be a chance that demons will try finding out a way to leave earth and the plot would be doom guy stopping that but the dark lord has not been beaten so they might make it so that he doesn't die or he becomes part of doom guy or some weird shit like that, I doubt another reboot (soft or hard) will be coming anytime soon.

Yeah, you're probably right about the reboot thing, it does seem unlikely. I doubt they would keep the dark lord alive though, as I imagine Doom Guy would do everything he could to kill the dark lord. It would be interesting if somehow the demons found a way to exist outside of hell even with the dark lord dead (not sure how they would do that, but it would definitely be interesting). I personally think it would be cool if for the next game they went back and showed some of his time with the Night Sentinels. For instance there's a line from Deag Ranak that mentions the "Unholy Crusades", that sounds pretty cool in my opinion. But no matter what they decide to do I'm sure it'll be tons of fun.

5 minutes ago, CivilianM91 said:

Could pull a Zelda. Every game is a standalone, maybe connect it all in the bg with timelines or dimensional stuff for those interested.

Hopefully if they do that they make the timeline less confusing than the Zelda one (at this point I don't even care about the Zelda timeline, it's too confusing).

6 minutes ago, Bloxwess said:

Hopefully if they do that they make the timeline less confusing than the Zelda one (at this point I don't even care about the Zelda timeline, it's too confusing).

I love that series but I agree wholeheartedly. I just try to enjoy each one on their own and not think too much on it.

8 hours ago, Bloxwess said:

"Your Dark Lord is in another castle!"

Well I heard we're getting a new tool and I heard Hugo describe it as a smart weapon or whatever so I'll be expecting that and a bossfight with the Dark Lord. For the playable levels I'd like to see one more Sentinel world, maybe a completely new location & for the last level I'd really want to see the original Jekkad architecture inspired hell. Maybe a boneyard of sorts. And just generally more mayhem introduced in Ancient Gods part 1. Maybe new demons.

Aside from the DLC, if Id Software gives us horde mode, and repurposes battlemode arenas & slayer gate arenas for it, I would never stop playing. 

Jekkad.jpg

4 hours ago, Rytrik said:

"Your Dark Lord is in another castle!"

Or he can't kill the Dark Lord because it would break "insert Rule of Cosmos" .

The Dark Lord has to stay alive and we get again the Doom 64 Ending :P

13 hours ago, Samuel Slayer said:

Aside from the DLC, if Id Software gives us horde mode, and repurposes battlemode arenas & slayer gate arenas for it, I would never stop playing. 

People have been asking for some type of Horde mode arena (perhaps with coop) for a long time now.  If we dont see it at some point in the future, then Id was really never listening.

5 hours ago, Zemini said:

People have been asking for some type of Horde mode arena (perhaps with coop) for a long time now.  If we dont see it at some point in the future, then Id was really never listening.

id is likely listening; we probably will see it in the future. I'm sure it's on their radar, though it sounds like they want to finish DLC2, Invasion, and more Master Levels before adding different game modes to their work plate. 

One reason why i'd like to see a horde mode is if, much like with 2016's multiplayer, they could come up with new ideas that weren't used in a single player mode.

New weapons, enemies, bosses, power ups, items, upgrades, abilities, even things in the levels themselves.

2016's multiplayer (and even the one in Doom 3) had exclusive content that most people probably missed.

Orbital, with the space theme and skybox, felt like it was made when Eternal was in development and they had the idea of a space level with a destroyed planet in the background.

That could even lead to another space map but with the space gravity gimmick or if another ice level is made, something with slippery ice floors, like an extreme opposite of purple goo.

We already have a horde mode mod (blood swamp mod is due to release soon) and something tells me that mod is way better than something ID will come up with. Usually, the community of modders and mappers do a better job at balancing and coming up with cool ideas. Though, in the case of Eternal, the modders don't have access to all the tools to make something truly unique (like a new map). At least that's how I understand it.

I just sit back and relax and try not to overthink these things. ID will deliver a DLC and we'll see if it's good or not on the day of release. 

What I expect from DLC2 is another year+ of Hugo constantly nerfing every half-decent strategy that players come up with...

Speaking of weird enemy concepts, i just remembered the Protector Drone from Duke 3D Atomic edition and imagined an enemy in part 2 that literally shrinks Doomguy.

35 minutes ago, scalliano said:

What I expect from DLC2 is another year+ of Hugo constantly nerfing every half-decent strategy that players come up with...

It's weird because it feels like they fear the idea of the game being "solved" when it's recent it still has a lot to discover and play with.

A prediction: they will show the DLC 2 teaser trailer on (or by) February 11th.

Hugo's campaign livestreams happen every Thursday. This week, he will be covering Mars Core (February 4th) and apparently discuss more on the new weapon - and then next week will be covering Sentinel Prime (February 11th). Sentinel Prime would be a considerably shorter livestream than usual, unless they plan to make up for it by showing the DLC 2 teaser trailer. The DLC 1 teaser trailer was shown August 7th, which was two months before its launch on October 20th. If DLC 2 is going to be released around April 20th, then a DLC 2 teaser trailer on February 11th sounds reasonable. If there's somehow still no teaser trailer by February 11th, then an April 20th release date also sounds unlikely then.

It's also possible we might not get a teaser at all and they might just save everything for an official trailer later instead - after all, we still don't have any screenshots of the setting for DLC 2. For context, DLC 1 screenshots were posted on May 8th, a full three months before DLC 1's teaser trailer was even shown. No screenshots for DLC 2 yet could either mean they are changing their marketing plan this time around or DLC 2 is still considerably further away than expected.

Just remembered a weird dream i had was part 2 having Doomguy talking more for some reason lol.

Also, in case a horde mode or another side mode adds new attacks to enemies, i wonder if they've ever considered spider webs for the Arachnotron.

Like, either a Spiderman-esque web to pull the player towards them (like MK Scorpion) or to even throw them to the side.

Or maybe shoot purple web thingies that fall into the floor, so that could be how the "slow goo" attack is represented if ever added: instead of literal puddles of purple goo, it'd be the spider webs of the Arachnotrons but with some purple effects on them (lights, energy shocks, clouds or something) or even better:

Lead to a "cyberless/non tech" Arachnotron that also has more legs, so it's a real spiderbrain creature or something.

If the Arachnotron is even playable in BattleMode, that could make him work.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:10 PM, Samuel Slayer said:

Well I heard we're getting a new tool and I heard Hugo describe it as a smart weapon or whatever so I'll be expecting that and a bossfight with the Dark Lord. For the playable levels I'd like to see one more Sentinel world, maybe a completely new location & for the last level I'd really want to see the original Jekkad architecture inspired hell. Maybe a boneyard of sorts. And just generally more mayhem introduced in Ancient Gods part 1. Maybe new demons.

Jekkad.jpg

How'd you get there?

That's my favourite location in the entire series so far.

2 minutes ago, thewormofautumn said:

How'd you get there?

That's my favourite location in the entire series so far.

I didn't. Just found this screenshot in google image search.

A 2 sq ft room with 6 Marauders on it. If you somehow manage to defeat them, a picture of Hugo Martin flipping you off appears and the game zero fills your whole drive.

2 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

A 2 sq ft room with 6 Marauders on it. If you somehow manage to defeat them, a picture of Hugo Martin flipping you off appears and the game zero fills your whole drive.

Thats ridiculous. We won't encounter any non-buffed or non-possesed Marauders.

I want the Customers to be buffed with the ability to upgrade to the deluxe edition WITHOUT BEING FORCED TO BUY THE FUCKING GAME TWICE. 

Seriously.

How fucking difficult can that be.

It seems DLC 2 might bring up multiple dimensions:

---

Question: "Hey Hugo, you mentioned that Doom Eternal did not have multiple universes. However, in The Holt there's a shattered Earth, the Doom 64 levels explain that Doomguy came from the seventh universe Earth, and Doom 1, 2, 64 can only be connected to Doom Eternal through multiple universes. So is there a continuity error?"

Hugo: "No. So we didn't want to rely heavily on the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse version of multiple dimensions. There are different... so it's not a multiverse, there are other dimensions but I guess I said we don't lean on it narratively speaking in terms of like "well there's just a bunch of Slayers". Could there be? Yeah, I mean it has multiple dimensions - the way it works is that there is only one original dimension and there are no multiple versions of - and that is Hell. That will play a point in the story when you read the lore, there's a reason for that - for those that care. But when I get asked like "is it a multiverse thing?", it's not a multiverse in the narrative sense of like "yeah, there are multiple Slayers". Could there be multiple Slayers? Sure, but it's not - as you saw with Doom Eternal, as people saw in DLC 1 and stuff like that - it's not a part of the story we kind of use. But there are many dimensions, for sure."

Source from ARC Complex livestream (I mostly just removed filler words)

---

Hugo's answer is interesting because he seems to angle it in response to a Spider-Verse thing on whether or not there are multiple Slayers or if they use that movie's "version of multiple dimensions". While he implies they use a different version of a multiverse by saying there may or may not be multiple Slayers, he does also confirm that Doom Eternal features "multiple dimensions". The definition of "dimension" in Doom Eternal can be strange since Urdak is apparently in the 6th dimension while Earth is in the 7th dimension - but Hugo clarifies that there is only one dimension with no separate versions - Hell. If Hell is the "only one original dimension", then that suggests that Earth (and maybe Urdak) have separate versions in different dimensions - i.e., different Doom titles. This idea of Hell also strongly suggests a popular multiverse theory for Doom - that the Doom eras take place in different universes but that Hell binds them all together. That is how Doomguy went from Hell at the end of Doom 64 to mysteriously appearing on Argent D'Nur before Doom 2016 - he was in Hell and found his way onto a new universe, where he met the Night Sentinels.

At the least, Hugo does say that Hell being the original dimension with no variations "will play a point" in DLC 2's story, so we have that to expect.

Because of the connections to the original games, i wonder what are the justifications for the different art directions in both the demons (gameplay included) and the levels.

Because Hell literally having the ability to simply change looks could work, specially if there's still more multiple sections of Hell that actually look scary and a bit too edgy, so they're implied at best, but we get more creative and "magical" corners of Hell.

But something like "Hell in the originals was just Doomguy's visions from going insane" or "he destroyed Hell so hard, it became mostly a bunch of rocky fields" would be lame answers.

Because a problem with giving Doom lore is when there's some ideas that could work but they seem to go into certain directions that make it even messier than it already is.

You could think of a theory that could make sense but the official stuff suddenly deviates from that.

Unless we just come to a partially shocking conclusion that when id wrote the new story with the original games in mind, they may have not played past UAC/Earth levels in 1 and 2 or just treated certain textures and their usage as an accident.

Sounds like a terrible theory but at the same time, the metal pipes stabbing into a wall made of layers of skin is something one can remember from the first fight with the SMM.

Even Sigil does something with them.