Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

What is the appeal behind Fantasy?

I've never really understood fantasy all that much, I just don't really get wizards or knights. I've always been more of a Sci-Fi guy myself but I want to try and get into fantasy. The Fire Emblem and Soulsborne games seem good. I just really don't get it.

Just now, ReeseJamPiece said:

I've never really understood fantasy all that much, I just don't really get wizards or knights. I've always been more of a Sci-Fi guy myself but I want to try and get into fantasy. The Fire Emblem and Soulsborne games seem good. I just really don't get it.

I think it has more to do with the roleplay factor, after all, you're in a crazy world with stuff that can kill you instantly, and yet you're extremely powerful.

So maybe it has something to do with the power fantasy.

If you want to get into it, my first Question would be:

What kind of Games do you like?
Than i can recommend something to you ;)

Science Fiction and Fantasy have very much in Common.
The Appeal is a World in a Setting more or less comparable to our own real World, with different Races, fantastic Creatures and the Adventure that lies in the Stories that those Setting is bringig up.
Be it because political Distress within the World, a common Foe or the Discovery of the Unknown.

What the Magic is to Fantasy is the Technical Stuff to the Science Fiction.

Just a Example:
Romulans and Vulcans are Enemies but related to each other.
Also High Elfs and Dark Elfs are mostly related but Enemies to each other.
What the Klingons are to the Federation are Orcs to some human Alliance.
What the Borg are to the Species as a common Enemiy are Demons in the Fantasy World.

If the genre does not appeal to you, I don't think some words from the Internet will change that.

Just like sci-fi, fantasy is about escapism -- even the most grounded fantasy world is still a fantasy world -- which can be seen as a re-imagining of our world, with simplifications, exaggerations, and modifications. Indeed, some of the older classic fantasy works were thinly-veiled political satire, cf. Gulliver's Travels.

The border between sci-fi and fantasy can be very muddled. Something like Star Wars, for example, is clearly fantasy with a sci-fi coat of paint; but come on it's about a farmer becoming a knight to rescue a princess from a dungeon and end the reign of an evil wizard-king. But Star Trek or Mass Effect or whatever are also full of fantasy trappings, you have the elves, the orcs, the golems, they just don't have these names.

I suppose one theme that you will find in the fantasy genre more than in the sci-fi genre is heroism. There's no technology, if you have to fight a thousand orcs it's with the strength of your own arms -- not by calling in an air strike so somebody else can do the job for you with the products of a military-industrial complex employing millions of people. Even magic, the fantasy replacement for technology, is something that is personal rather than the mass-produced output of factories.

5 minutes ago, Azuris said:

If you want to get into it, my first Question would be:

What kind of Games do you like?
Than i can recommend something to you ;)

Science Fiction and Fantasy have very much in Common.
The Appeal is a World in a Setting more or less comparable to our own real World, with different Races, fantastic Creatures and the Adventure that lies in the Stories that those Setting is bringig up.
Be it because political Distress within the World, a common Foe or the Discovery of the Unknown.

What the Magic is to Fantasy is the Technical Stuff to the Science Fiction.

Just a Example:
Romulans and Vulcans are Enemies but related to each other.
Also High Elfs and Dark Elfs are mostly related but Enemies to each other.
What the Klingons are to the Federation are Orcs to some human Alliance.
What the Borg are to the Species as a common Enemiy are Demons in the Fantasy World.

I mainly play survival-horror, RPGs, FPS, platformers, shoot em ups and racing games. I have a ton of Fantasy games on my shelves but never really had an incentive to play them. I remember enjoying fantasy when I was younger but I guess my interest diminished over time. I used to be a huge history enthusiast too but lost touch with it. 

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

If the genre does not appeal to you, I don't think some words from the Internet will change that.

Just like sci-fi, fantasy is about escapism -- even the most grounded fantasy world is still a fantasy world -- which can be seen as a re-imagining of our world, with simplifications, exaggerations, and modifications. Indeed, some of the older classic fantasy works were thinly-veiled political satire, cf. Gulliver's Travels.

The border between sci-fi and fantasy can be very muddled. Something like Star Wars, for example, is clearly fantasy with a sci-fi coat of paint; but come on it's about a farmer becoming a knight to rescue a princess from a dungeon and end the reign of an evil wizard-king. But Star Trek or Mass Effect or whatever are also full of fantasy trappings, you have the elves, the orcs, the golems, they just don't have these names.

I suppose one theme that you will find in the fantasy genre more than in the sci-fi genre is heroism. There's no technology, if you have to fight a thousand orcs it's with the strength of your own arms -- not by calling in an air strike so somebody else can do the job for you with the products of a military-industrial complex employing millions of people. Even magic, the fantasy replacement for technology, is something that is personal rather than the mass-produced output of factories.

I always viewed Star Wars as Harry Potter but with guns. 

Perhaps it's the aesthetic of Sci-Fi, both genres are good but the aesthetics are radically different.

I listened to this when I was like 10 and I've been in love with fantasy ever since. Especially castles in the sky, idk what it is but man that shit's just so cool to me. I made a whole D&D campaign about going to the 4 corners of the earth to collect the 4 elements, at each corner was a giant tower protected by elemental dragon. (So one tower would be the fire tower, and at the top would be a fire crystal, but it's guarded by a fire dragon.) When you collect a crystal a giant bridge forms from the corner of the earth to the center. Once all four crystals are collected you can go to the tower in the middle of the earth and fight the black dragon using the power of the crystals. not gonna lie, I made a whole backstory for this, past lore, futre lore, wars, characters, everything. I still have yet to play it with someone:( Really wish it would be turned into a game or something.

I've been playing Skyrim again for the last month. Played it for 18 hours yesterday, 9AM to 3 AM. Level 42 Nord. Now I'm not one for any D&D stuff or LOD things either. But I do how ever like this game alot and always have. It's basically a medieval "Fallout 3" You see, to me it's not corny like other RPGs in my respectful opinion. I think dragons and the inspirations taken from nordic history are cool (being of Swedish decent myself) and that the world is so immersive that I can't help but get sucked in and lose track of time. I like fantasy alot because growing up I didn't get along with other children except 1 or 2 here and there so I spent alot of time playing  by myself. But my one friend I did have in 4th grade used to play pretend with me and we would make believe the entire world was a video game. For instance-Go into the kitchen and drink the orange juice to replenish 15 health. LOL. All sticks where staves or swords. Imaginary companions, light sabers and the force, the whole thing. Therefore immersing myself into an imaginary world such as a video game isn't difficult for me. If you actually suspend your disbelief and imagine how you would feel if you ACTUALLY were in that environment if it was real for instance Silent Hill 2, it would be terrifying, thus there you go, there's your connection. Sometimes it's what you put into a story and not always what it displays to you on the surface. I know this is long for a post already but I jsut wanted to tell you another way that I get into a fantasy world easily...weed, lots and lots of weed. Not bragging just saying. If it's not your thing you don't have to obviously. But I'll tell you something. Never play SH2 in a darkroom by yourself in your apartment stoned out of your mind......just don't.

BTW, In Skyrim, fuck the Imperials.

42 minutes ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

I mainly play survival-horror, RPGs, FPS, platformers, shoot em ups and racing games. I have a ton of Fantasy games on my shelves but never really had an incentive to play them. I remember enjoying fantasy when I was younger but I guess my interest diminished over time. I used to be a huge history enthusiast too but lost touch with it.

Than the first Dragon Age could be a good start.

It is darker in Tone but is near enogh to classical high Fantasy and RPGs.

Fire Emblem is more Stategy, here i would recommend Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, the newer ones seem to have to much Waifu Stuff.

Skyrim gives you the Oportunity to play a Game how you want and to develop your own Adventure.

The Mainplot is only a Way to bring you to the many Side Maindquests in the World (i can't call them only side quests).

Imo Morrowind gives you more Freedom, but to get into the Game is harder and the World is further away from normal Fantasy Settings and more Abstract.

If you want a more anime Style Game and you have no Problem with cuter Designs, Dragon Quest XI is really great.

The original Warcraft 3 is also a really great Fantasy World.

But here you should get a original Copy on Ebay and don't update it, the newest Version online merged with Reforged is pure Crap.

Divinity Original Sin is a really good Rpg with good Humor in it.

1 hour ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

I can't get much into it, also.

LOTR bores me to death, and i kinda started to loathe most anime and stuff where heroism is central.

I like things a little darker, and the friendship values and sacrifices seen on those kind of stuffs made me chocke, certainly.

But, i consumed a lot of that things, and sometimes, it simplicity is rewarding.

The message is simple to grasp, and that works on certain mind states. On the other hand, the message on other literature or narrative forms, is purposely vague and ambiguous and the taste they leave is different... less brighter and needing quite some time of realization.

If you like to read, i can recommend you a really underrated saga of books.

I remember falling to it because its really strange and combines Sci-Fi and Fantasy as i never seen before.

Death Gate's Cycle.

There are 7 books on the serie, and the first book, ''Dragon Wing'', starts pretty normal fantasy romp... until one character appears and changes almost all the setting and move forward the narrative and mystery.

Really cool for sure.

Check them out if you can.

Its one of the only serie of books that didn't bore me and have me wanting to read more and more.

As for fantasy games, i feel like you, even if the game is a masterpiece, the setting kinda throw me off.

On the other hand, sci fy settings greatly enhances the experience for me, and even if it is kinda mediocre, i usually enjoy it a lot.

There are exceptions, of course. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favourite games and i completed it like 15 times never getting bored of it.

Its fantasy, but it has a different approach than the usual ''sword & sorcery'' adventures.

Have you tried the Shin Megami Tensei games?

They are hybrid for sure, mixing high technology with fantasy as no other game, and having lots and lots of satire and critique to the world and society as we know it.

Also, they are quite hard, even for experienced RPGamers.

Try Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey i fell for it on the instant i heard the amazing soundtrack it has and the setting is just amazing.

For me the main appeal with medieval fantasy, which is what I think you're referring to, is the rustic aesthetic. Just going from one town to the next is a journey through the wilderness, where you only get to eat what you can carry and are at the mercy of the elements. I like the focus on physical, tangible things. Sword fighting is up-close and personal, and it's got all those satisfying clangs and swooshes and scabbard draws, as well as the extra coolness factor of martial arts, with masters that can perform incredible feats. Even magic is often rooted in some partially physical explanation, with reagents like runes and potions, and disciplines that train the wizard's mind.

Of course, many other genres can have similar qualities. I guess there's just something about the oldness factor that makes it cool. Most of us live with secure walls, heaters, personal vehicles that could easily traverse the planet multiple times over, running water, electricity, the internet. It's exciting to put yourself in the shoes of someone who actually has to use them. Also, someone who can shoot fireballs out of their hands... cuz that's just objectively awesome

12 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

Well, in this case, it looks like you've answered your own question.

Fantasy is something that otherwise just doesn't appeal to you on a personal level, but there's different types of fantasy to think about, from medieval fantasy all the way to fantasy blending with sci fi elements, like SW. Since you said you're more of a sci-fi guy, these two things combines may be more suitable for you.

54 minutes ago, Gez said:

The Stormcloaks are pawns of the Thalmor.

It is heavily implied that if the Stormcloaks win the Thalmor/Dominion have almost full political access to stage an invasion and wipe out their ancient rivals and finally stomp out the main sector of Talos worship (unless the Hammerfell rebles are still holding out).

-

Anyway, I love both Sci-Fi and Fantasy, I like elves myself, I love the multiple odd cultures the different types have across different series and I especially love their overly complex beautiful designs for mundane things (my favourite elves are Dark Elves from the Elder Scrolls closely followed by Lothlorien from LOTR).

Also I think angular faces are pretty, fight me.

On top of that, fantasy lets me be a holy knight who wields the literal power of God(s):

crusades.jpg.045012fc608a13b90f46fa45f9595bbc.jpg

What's not to love?

I think a perfect middle ground for you would be Warhammer 40k, perfect mix of Sci-Fi and Dark Fantasy, it has no end of fantasy stuff and story threads thrown in but explains everything through Star Trek styled science babble, everybody has guns yet also choose to stab eachother with chainswords.

sci-fi & fantasy are closely related, they're both forms of storytelling with extraordinary elements. the essential difference is that one uses magic while the other uses advanced technology.

I also want to throw into the Room:

Magic's just science that we don't understand yet.

The old quote about "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", with its logical corollary that "any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced".

I dunno, this is a really broad topic, I kinda felt like I wasn't into fantasy so much for a long time but I think two things changed my mind, Shadowrun (Playing the HBS CRPGs and reading novels, I've amassed quite a few of them) and getting into playing D&D. The latter made me go back and revisit the Baldur's Gate games and I've read some more novels, stuff like the Dresden Files, Titanshade, Kings of the Wyld and The Traitor God. But that all came organically, I don't really know if taking the attitude "I don't like X but I want to get into it anyway" is a good attitude to have about it, or one that will lead to positive outcomes. 

It's fairy tales for grown-ups. But in a good way, where you know it's a fantasy but indulge in it anyway because that's the point. They're often worlds in which magic is a real force, and fantasy writers may take pains to construct their worlds carefully and/or with detail, even if they don't operate according to physics as we know them.

I'm more of a science fiction guy myself these days, but there was a time when I was more into fantasy for a while when I was a kid. There was a distinct appeal to being able to create an entire world just by doodling a map inspired by whatever I was reading at the time. I think that changed when I came to realise just how big the universe really is, and found the vast possibilities enfolded in the vast reaches of space-time too rich to ignore any longer.

People like things they like because of reasons yay :DDD

I am not into the "Tolkien" style of fantasy, with Dwarves and Elves and old modern english and stuff like that, i've been always more into the Ubermen of ancient times seen in Conan the Barbarian and other heroic fantasy/sword and sorcery stories and dark fantasy/gothic fiction with all it's romanticism and gothic architecture and Universal Horror movie creatures instead of trolls and orcs :)

17 hours ago, Gez said:

The border between sci-fi and fantasy can be very muddled. Something like Star Wars, for example, is clearly fantasy with a sci-fi coat of paint; but come on it's about a farmer becoming a knight to rescue a princess from a dungeon and end the reign of an evil wizard-king.

I believe Star Wars is considered Science Fantasy :O

9 hours ago, Gez said:

The Stormcloaks are pawns of the Thalmor.

I just don't like the way they act. Like everyone around them are peasants. The only thing worse than them is the Thalmor themselves, I'll kill any of them I see too lol. Skyrim was always the land of the Nords.

Yeah sure. *slaughters all the Reachmen in Markarth* Skyrim has always belonged to the Nords, and only the Nords, so says I from the top of this Dwemer palace.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Yeah sure. *slaughters all the Reachmen in Markarth* Skyrim has always belonged to the Nords, and only the Nords, so says I from the top of this Dwemer palace.

Idk. My main alinance is Daedra anyhow lol. I just always have liked playing Skyrim as a fallen hero and agent of chaos, but undercover by hiding in plain sight as the so called great "Dragonborn".  It's fun to be a dick and play a badguy in videogame sometimes. Such as GTA.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, Dubbagdarrel said:

Skyrim was always the land of the Nords.

Ehem, the Forsworn and especially the Snow Elves would like a world with you.

Spoiler

Skyrim belonged to both, especially the Snow Elves. Then the so-called Nords invaded their territory, eradicated, and enslaved them. The survivors later devolved into the Falmer seen in the game, after they got tricked by the Dwemer to work for them.

The only known Snow Elf to remain is Arch-Curate Vyrthur's brother.

The appeal behind fantasy? well, you can be a badass knight or mage or something and kill mystical creatures while doing quests and exploring an ethereal realm, appealing enough for me.

29 minutes ago, seed said:

the Forsworn

Speaking of, it's entirely because of that prick Ulfric and his war crimes against the Reachmen that they're now waging a vendetta war against everyone.

And there's also the Karthwasten massacre (cf. Season Unending).

36 minutes ago, Gez said:

Speaking of, it's entirely because of that prick Ulfric and his war crimes against the Reachmen that they're now waging a vendetta war against everyone.

And there's also the Karthwasten massacre (cf. Season Unending).

Yeah, Ulfric needs to get off his high horse and his obsession for the Reach in particular.

I wonder if we're going to find out who won the civil war in TES VI. We probably will. And whether Titus Mede II was actually assassinated by the Dragonborn too, but judging by how things are in Skyrim, I'm convinced the DB questline will be the canonical resolution.

What would be cool is if there was  the ability to make the stormcloaks and imperials stop fighting and go after the Thalmor together.

I'm a fan of both sci-fi and fantasy.  

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Fantasy still maintains elements of its religion-y roots (it has to because magic, sometimes actual living gods, etc. etc. etc.), while simultaneously often taking the piss out of them.  

Sci-Fi, on the other hand, eschews all of that bullshit (religion; aside from a little bit of lip service because people gonna people), replaces it with scientific discovery and a modern take on ethics and philosophy.  While often taking the piss out of human arrogance and simultaneously gloating about how our arrogance got us where we are.  Although that might also be satirical.

At any rate, there really isn't much to  "get" with Fantasy, unless there's something to get, like a satirical bent.  Otherwise, it's often a grand adventure.  Science Fiction tends to be the other way around, or a combination of both at best.  Both genres tend to lend themselves very well to horror, too.

Also bear in mind that either can simply be a backdrop for something else, like a dramedy or a mystery.