Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

DW loads really slow rn (tortard gone)

Was wondering what was going on. Can’t believe some idiot who try to DDOS Doomworld. What could you possibly gain from this( serious question, I’m not at all educated in DDOS attacks,can they steal data or resources?).

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

Doomworld appears to be undergoing a DDOS at the moment. I had to disable logins to stop the server from exploding. It's not great!

I know my posts are epic, but i didn't flick on my elite 1337 mode for a reason.

4 hours ago, 🌸 V E W M 3 2 🌸 said:

Who would want to DDoS Doomworld of all places? Why?

Perhaps someone felt the kind of questions asked by greenhorns was not enough.

4 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

Was wondering what was going on. Can’t believe some idiot who try to DDOS Doomworld. What could you possibly gain from this( serious question, I’m not at all educated in DDOS attacks,can they steal data or resources?).

Inspiration for a WAD.

So does anybody know who was the attacker or no?(Speaking of the doom thread in vr, i don't think they are behind the DDOS.From my experience they are quite chill.

Edited by Boomdav

1 minute ago, Silhou3tte said:

Ah, many people don't know what DDoS attacks really do. They don't assume any control over a website's servers, they instead are a type of Denial of Service attack. They basically flood the servers with requests, either crashing the servers or making it extremely slow for everyone :/

43 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

What could you possibly gain from this? Serious question, I’m not at all educated in DDoS attacks - can they steal data or resources?

Nope.

All a DoS is is, as the name says, a Denial of Service. In this case, the "service" being Doomworld. It's an attack meant to hinder and/or disrupt the normal functioning of a service.

A common, but brute-force, kind of DoS attack is one done by flooding said service in a way that makes it unresponsive, by having t undergo a greater amount of load than it is capable of handling at a time. However, usually a single attacker cannot cause denial of service in that manner on their own, as usually they can only fit so much data to occupy the server with, the most common limit here being bandwidth. So usually, either attackers have control of a botnet (usually a network of infected computers that execute orders from a command channel controlled by the attackers) and order it to, or they just amass a large amount of people with the common goal to, collectively send as much garbage data as possible, with a combined bandwidth that can often tank even the most resilient servers.

DDoS-es are not as common as people might think, though. It takes a lot of machines to have any significant impact to begin with. Oftentimes mere vulnerability exploits can be used to achieve similar effects, although it takes a lot more knowledge about not just programming in general, but also the specific target the attacker is dealing with, in particular knowledge about every software it is using, down to the precise version and inner workings. This is why it's important to update your shit.

4 minutes ago, 🌸 V E W M 3 2 🌸 said:

They basically flood the servers with requests, either crashing the servers or making it extremely slow for everyone :/

Heck ya beat me to it, and not only that, unlike me you actually provided an excellent summary! Don't mind if I borrow it as a tl;dr, would you? Insert heart icon heeeere??

It were demons. They attacked building with Doomworld's server. Demons know that we, Doomguys are connected here and make strategies, so they never succeed to take earth.

People DDoS the Doom servers even once in a while. You’d be surprised how pointlessly low some people are.

I noticed that it was all slow and shit last night, and I got a couple of 503 Bad Gateway errors. Still managed to post a couple of things so if it was a DDoS it was a pretty feeble attempt.

8 hours ago, Solmyr said:

something, something 4Chan, something something /vr/ board.

Why the hell would anyone there go through that trouble?

48 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

It's 4chan... That's pretty much the reason in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

The actual reason i brought up 4Chan's /vr/ was to see how they would react in their doom/90 FPS, thread, they took the bait, but sadly their reaction to this was not as amusing as i expected.

6 hours ago, Deathclaw886 said:

What would one gain from DDOS attacking a Doom forum?

low lives, i swear...

Hey, some people love reveling in their own pettiness.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, Deathclaw886 said:

actually, i think it is a joke, nobody uses netscape anymore, and i believe Doomworld used to host websites for users ages ago....

Yeah, that thing is older than dirt. Still funny though, it's been quite awhile since I've seen it.

That being said, yeah, it seems like the site is having issues again tonight. Yay!

I couldn't access the forums at all yesterday, kept getting a 502 Bad Gateway Error. It's still really slow.

25 minutes ago, NoXion said:

I couldn't access the forums at all yesterday, kept getting a 502 Bad Gateway Error. It's still really slow.

Same here, friend.

Na no issues whatsoever here. Just seems like normal Australian internet XD

Jks had the old “402 - bad gateway” all yesterday. Which is probably the cutest error ever! Little mate being a naughty little gateway :-D

Still a bit slow today but not too bad :-)

On 1/25/2021 at 12:15 AM, Buckshot said:

Received a mail notice that my account was locked from invalid login attempts the same time site started having issues. The ip address given seems to coincide with a known attacker...

I got that with IP 107.189.10.251

And it's still slow for me.

Better check if your credentials have been stolen: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

On 1/25/2021 at 7:34 AM, 🌸 V E W M 3 2 🌸 said:

Ah, many people don't know what DDoS attacks really do. They don't assume any control over a website's servers, they instead are a type of Denial of Service attack. They basically flood the servers with requests, either crashing the servers or making it extremely slow for everyone :/

Well, the site is extremely slow. Possibly DDoS attack wasn't the actual intention though. Someone is trying to steal our accounts.

14 minutes ago, LogicDeLuxe said:

Well, the site is extremely slow. Possibly DDoS attack wasn't the actual intention though. Someone is trying to steal our accounts.

What would they do with our accounts? Spam them until the server explodes? Then what?

Is it legal to use big brother techniques to find them? Asking for a friend...