Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

DW loads really slow rn (tortard gone)

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

I implemented a tor blocklist and upgraded the server to boot.

Thank you for your Work and saving this Page from Doom.

@Linguica I hope honestly you can put together an arrangement where you're no longer Our Only Hope whenever some bored micropeen decides they want to attack harmless nerd forums for no reason.  If nothing else it's better for the long-term health of the site if responsibility for that is set up along a more diffuse and sustainable system, but also I can understand wanting to be unshackled from that obligation after all these years.  I hope those private discussions bear fruit and all, cheers again

I'm just now jumping on this but I was wondering if It was just me. Just loading a into this took me a few minutes. Why is it so slow?

9 hours ago, Linguica said:

In the interest of transparency I activated the Contingency Patreon I set up a year or two ago to help with the server costs. https://www.patreon.com/doomworld

You are an absolute champ :-D Thanks Linguica :-D

By any chance is there a individual payment option available (I.e. PayPal, etc.)?

i’d love to chip in but I’m just not a fan of monthly direct debit type deals these days (I got put off work sick for a while once and those things seem to rack up real fast if you’re not paying attention) :-P

4 hours ago, Retro Dino said:

I'm just now jumping on this but I was wondering if It was just me. Just loading a into this took me a few minutes. Why is it so slow?

Someone is DDoS'ing the site, making it slow. I guess they are renting a DDoS cluster just to annoy us ... must be some sad, miserable person with nothing better to do than to obsess over some internet grievance. Derp.

Thanks Linguica, for holding up the universe for so damned long.

and fuck that Tor arsehole(s) for all that shite.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Someone is DDoS'ing the site, making it slow. I guess they are renting a DDoS cluster just to annoy us ... must be some sad, miserable person with nothing better to do than to obsess over some internet grievance. Derp.

What an asshole. It seems to be running faster since I commented that though.

I'm glad the site is back up and running to a fast pace again! Last time I was on here, it was loading so slow it was overworking my computer lol, hence why I took a break.

38 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Joined the patreon with not too much, but I hope I can help.

I joined the patreon and all I got was a fart.

1 hour ago, Eric Claus said:

I joined the patreon and all I got was a fart.

I think basically it's nothing in rewards and just a support to the server expenitures.

Though I actually thought I would get a farting video :P

17 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I think basically it's nothing in rewards and just a support to the server expenitures.

Yeah I was more poking fun at it, but a farting video would have been good I agree.

22 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

You only get the extended director's cut of the hot chocolate high velocity video with a commentary track on the highest patreon tier.

Thank the Doom gods! I hated seeing my favorite community being ruined by this. Glad to see things are resolved. Blocking Tor really sounds like the best option that could have been taken. Seems that it's used for more harm than good.

And it probably came at no cost either - were there any DW regulars who were actually using it in the first place?