Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maniacalrobot

New Doom II Map: The Halls of AEthelwulf

An ancient medieval citadel has been discovered under the Welsh Mountains, with help from documents obtained from the Mars Base during the first invasion of Hells forces. A team of archiologists has been sent in to learn more about the connections between the ancient martian civilisation, and medieval Britain.

But contact with the archaeologist team has been lost … you’ve been sent in to clear the citadel.

Doom 2 Single player

Map: 01

Name: The Halls of Aethelwulf

Difficulty: only UV

Secrets: Yes, pretty simple/obvious to find, I didn’t want to make them hard to find as the map is pretty big, and it would be no fun trying to find them. You do not need the secrets to beat the map … but they help.

Build: 10-15 hours.

Style: Vanilla Doom2, collect the keys, kill the bad guys, no jumping, free-look if you like (but that might spoil the atmosphere).

Tested on GZdoom. This is a large and dark map, I’m using “Legacy” rendering on GZDoom, but “Standard” also works well, any other option, and it might be too dark to see what you’re doing. You should be able to see at least 6-8 columns deep in the great hall.

I think there’s plenty of Ammo and Health, but any feedback on adding/removing any more would be appreciated, as well as feed back on the traps and monster closets.

Aethelwulf_1.png.255d76b1b5e056aa4b02897d3c91f0de.pngAethelwulf_2.png.8beabc95699167f8716149fdd9b05cfb.png

Aethelwulf_3.png.cc9283e400fb4abe1f2804d89ad5523a.png

Aethelwulf_4.png.ef8ca19c4339ab4def9f6e8ebd9ae299.png

THE_HALLS_OF_AETHELWULF.zip

Edited by Maniacalrobot : New Map upload

It's a bit too dark for my liking, but also rather impressive. I'm not much of a slaughtermap player and I wound up trying to run through it instead but I still had a bit of fun. I'll let my footage speak for itself and I hope you find it useful. I reckon @Bridgeburner56 might be a better judge on this one than I can be.

Thanks @NieMaMordy for giving it a go. 

@Biodegradable Nice attempt, I like the "just keep charing forward" approach! 

It looks like you're both playing it really really dark, and it doesn't even look remotely fair! You might have better luck using "Legacy" lighting mode in gzdoom. I've just discovered that I can manually force this mode in the map file, so I'll try that out on the next release. You should be able to easily see the columns in the main hall. otherwise I'll need to find some better light levels for more standard rendering.

Believe me or mot, this is not supposed to be a slaughter, just 2 pretty tough ambushes for the keys, the ambush on the bridge, and then just keep killing whatever pops up. and most of the ambushes are by fairly low tier monsters, pinkies, skulls, and demons.

Map update v1.1: with much better support for standard and software lighting … i.e., you should be able to see what's trying to kill you a lot better now.