Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Eternity Engine 4.02.00 Forseti

The initial release of Heartland from last night, using the Win64 version of Eternity 4.0.2

I somewhat solved the issue. I started the old midiproc (from version 3.whatever) manually before starting Eternity (actual version). Might sound like a very weird workaround but works for me.

@Urthar I have adapted Kex's crash reporter to Eternity. Starting from tomorrow's devbuild when it crashes it'll generate a CRASHLOG.txt with an actual stack trace as well as a file called eternity.dmp, which is suuuuper useful. Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience.

25 minutes ago, Altazimuth said:

@Urthar I have adapted Kex's crash reporter to Eternity. Starting from tomorrow's devbuild when it crashes it'll generate a CRASHLOG.txt with an actual stack trace as well as a file called eternity.dmp, which is suuuuper useful. Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience.

Make sure map files and/or the .pdb's from dev builds are generated and stored somewhere. You'll need map files for stack traces, and .pdb's for the dmps. These of course must match the executable.

DRDteam builds have maps but no pdbs. That'll need sorting out I guess.

Is there a way to bind mouselook to be a toggle (like in PRBoom+), so I don't have to hold down "/" or the equivalent key? Also, any way I could make the Home key clean start the current level?

On 3/5/2021 at 7:12 AM, Spectre01 said:

Is there a way to bind mouselook to be a toggle (like in PRBoom+), so I don't have to hold down "/" or the equivalent key?

Not yet, but it's a good idea. I'll see if I can get it added at some stage. Apologies if it takes a bit as I'm relatively swamped with all manner of things from the sudden influx of users.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:12 AM, Spectre01 said:

Also, any way I could make the Home key clean start the current level?

Type `bind home restartmap` in console.

1) Install Doom.
B) Extract contents of Eternity zip into folder. (depending on where you install Doom, you will need to place doom2.wad into this same folder. Eternity will automatically find the Steam version, for example, but not the original retail CD version.)
γ) Download heartland and drag/drop pke into eternity.exe.

Edited by Edward850

17 minutes ago, The Fairy God-Bomber said:

Hi I'm a bit new to this engine, can you please tell me how to run it and Heartland? 

OK, sure. First I'd appreciate if you please inform me a bit about what platform you're on (OS and such) as that will potentially change up the instructions I give a bit.

12 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

OK, sure. First I'd appreciate if you please inform me a bit about what platform you're on (OS and such) as that will potentially change up the instructions I give a bit.

I use Windows 10 and my Laptop is an HP Pavilion

@The Fairy God-Bomber OK in that case:

• Grab a devbuild from http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/eternity/, either x86 or x64. x64 is suggested.
  • Extract the contents to a new directory of your choosing.
  • Either copy DOOM2.WAD into the directory you've extracted Eternity to or runn it and when you first run it it should prompt you to point it to where your IWADs live. Close Eternity after this.
  • Either drag and drop Heartland onto Eternity or use the command line with syntax `eternity.exe -file Heartland.pke` or similar.

1 hour ago, Altazimuth said:

@The Fairy God-Bomber OK in that case:

• Grab a devbuild from http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/eternity/, either x86 or x64. x64 is suggested.
  • Extract the contents to a new directory of your choosing.
  • Either copy DOOM2.WAD into the directory you've extracted Eternity to or runn it and when you first run it it should prompt you to point it to where your IWADs live. Close Eternity after this.
  • Either drag and drop Heartland onto Eternity or use the command line with syntax `eternity.exe -file Heartland.pke` or similar.

Thanks!

If anyone have issues with mouse, disable vsync. It makes mouse laggy in all games for me. If you have screen tearing, cap framerate.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, philcul said:

Thanks for the quick answer, now it works perfectly!

I have the same problem, where is this option?

On 3/4/2021 at 4:01 PM, Altazimuth said:

If you're on an old build I think in the mouse settings it's called "Novert emulation". I changed it a short while ago to be "No vertical mouse movement" because the terminology was bad and confusing.

I tested it on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 with MacBook Pro 2017. No problems were found, everything works quickly and smoothly at 2560x1600. The only thing I would like to see rendering is like in Quake-based games when using always mouselook.

1 hour ago, Valboom said:

I have the same problem, where is this option?

As Altazimuth said, it's in the mouse settings.

2 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Oh thanks! now it's perfect, i think it will be my main source port from now on.

6 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

One last question, is it possible to have the Kills / Secrets counter in the Automap?

Not currently. If you press = to swap HUD you can see them, then hit - after.

Another thing that would be awesome is if the kill counter updated with AV resurrections, like in other ports. That way it's easy to know if you've actually killed all the enemies.

19 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Another thing that would be awesome is if the kill counter updated with AV resurrections, like in other ports. That way it's easy to know if you've actually killed all the enemies.

I admit I like the vintage monster counter, but perhaps this could be a toggle? Not sure how feasible that is, though.

15 minutes ago, jeremieh said:

if you ever get the chance to add it, an option to always run would be nice

Options, key bindings, basic movement, toggle autorun. It's not THAT hard to explore settings...

5 hours ago, LincolnPark96 said:

Would be nice to add an option for change the secret notifications position to the center of the screen, like in other source ports. 

It's planned. I just made the secret notification the way it is because I did it in about 5 minutes after getting tired of people wanting it.

3 minutes ago, Altazimuth said:

It's planned. I just made the secret notification the way it is because I did it in about 5 minutes after getting tired of people wanting it.

Sorry, I was not aware of that. I imagine how annoying it must be when someone insists too much on x thing

Don't worry about it. Most of the time it's helpful having people state reasonable features like that: I'm just lazy and stubborn at times.