Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Eternity Engine 4.02.00 Forseti

3 minutes ago, printz said:

Technically we have the same code for that as we do for drawing sprites, so fuzzy midtextures indeed sounds feasible, but I would have to be careful to add it in a tidy way, not to over-feature EE.

While it's not the same in the technical sense, would it make sense as a transparency style in UDMF (in conjunction with normal and additive)? It's not like you could have both at the same time anyway, after all.

The worse way the fuzzy special can be implemented: it can be bound to a new linedef flag (but a new flag means more code parsing for each line so that it sounds crutchy)

Edited by SilverMiner

This question probably has more to do with Linux than with the Eternity Engine, but is it possible to change the soundfonts on the Default and ADLMIDI sound settings? I compiled and installed the program from the source code in Linux Mint. The Default settings makes the Ancient Aliens title theme sound overpowering, while the ADLMIDI sounds a little dinky. Neither setting sounds quite like the music on Windows, but that's only to be expected. If it's possible, how do I do it?

14 hours ago, Mr. Alexander said:

This question probably has more to do with Linux than with the Eternity Engine, but is it possible to change the soundfonts on the Default and ADLMIDI sound settings? I compiled and installed the program from the source code in Linux Mint. The Default settings makes the Ancient Aliens title theme sound overpowering, while the ADLMIDI sounds a little dinky. Neither setting sounds quite like the music on Windows, but that's only to be expected. If it's possible, how do I do it?

I asked this in the Eternity Discord, and @Altazimuth gave me some very helpful pointers. Using the "default" MIDI device, which is SDL_mixer, you'll need to set a couple of environment variables, because that's how SDL_mixer chooses soundfonts. You need to set SDL_FORCE_SOUNDFONTS=1 by executing

export SDL_FORCE_SOUNDFONTS=1

in your bash terminal. You also need to set SDL_SOUNDFONTS to the path of the soundfont you want to use:

export SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/path/to/soundfont.sf2

These will only affect the particular terminal session in which you log them. As a new Linux user, I don't know how you would make these permanent or persistent across sessions, but I don't see why you couldn't do that, either. I understand this is how some other source ports find their soundfont, too.

You may need to compile/install Fluidsynth to get this to work. I don't know and Googling old threads about it turns up scant information.

Hope this helps people down the line. Thanks again to @Altazimuth.

heya, this is just a small silly bug report, but if you rename eternity.exe to something else (I renamed it to "doom.exe" cos of years of muscle memory) then run it, midiproc opens an error message which tells you there isn't such a thing as eternity.exe and then... seems to work despite that?

That's by design but here's a custom midiproc that will work for your specific use-case. midiproc.7z

Edited by Altazimuth

On 5/7/2021 at 11:02 PM, Mr. Alexander said:

These will only affect the particular terminal session in which you log them. As a new Linux user, I don't know how you would make these permanent or persistent across sessions, but I don't see why you couldn't do that, either. I understand this is how some other source ports find their soundfont, too.

To make these permanent across sessions you need to edit you .bashrc or .zshrc file (depending on the shell you use) and add in the command:

export SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/path/to/soundfont.sf2

and that's it!! jaja

Anyone know how to get soundfonts working? I know this question was already asked but I am on windows 8.1 so the process might be different for me.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:51 PM, TheWolfman00001 said:

Anyone know how to get soundfonts working? I know this question was already asked but I am on windows 8.1 so the process might be different for me.

I'm working on solutions to this now. I run Windows 10, but theoretically, you could take the same steps in Windows 8.1, or at least analogous ones. I haven't gotten it to work by changing/adding SDL_FORCE_SOUNDFONTS and SDL_SOUNDFONTS in the "advanced options" menu you can find by pressing the Windows key and searching "advanced options" or "environment variables." I also haven't gotten it to work in PowerShell, either the latest version or PowerShell 5.1, or in cmd.exe. What has worked is @Doomkid's helpful guide here, though it's a little old. It's also a good source of soundfonts.

Sorry it took so long to get you such a meager response. Hope this helps!

Note that VirtualMIDISynth randomly will break midiproc's volume at some stage if you install it.

Back to the drawing board, then. I'm surprised that changing SDL_FORCE_SOUNDFONTS and SDL_SOUNDFONTS did nothing, given the behavior of these environment variables on Linux.

It doesn't use FluidSynth on Windows, probably since FluidSynth uses GLib which is a nightmare to build on Windows.

Edited by Altazimuth

Now it seems like you'll just skip to the next item if you attempt to use a Morph Ovum in Eternity. Not to mention the Tome of Power doesn't seem to work for all weapons (the Dragon's Claw specifically seems to fire as normal).

46 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Now it seems like you'll just skip to the next item if you attempt to use a Morph Ovum in Eternity. Not to mention the Tome of Power doesn't seem to work for all weapons (the Dragon's Claw specifically seems to fire as normal).

What do you mean "now"? They haven't been implemented in Eternity at all yet.

Ok, I was thinking it was for some reason but thinking back, I must not have come across one the last time I tried playing Heretic with Eternity.

probably a noob question but is there really no "always run" option in this engine? i was looking forward to playing around with it but having to hold shift = tired hand.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

I forget where it is in the menu, but you can enter "autorun 1" into the ` console to turn it on for good.

now i can play around with this, and i have noticed a slight problem but i doubt its related to this engine(because demo was recorded in prboom+ with -complevel 11) so i wont talk about it here

im trying to compile it from source but im having some problems with adlmidi from what i see i should put some file inside the adlmidi folder right? what file exactly? i already have libadlmidi compiled and installed on my machine

im on ubuntu btw

6 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

im trying to compile it from source but im having some problems with adlmidi from what i see i should put some file inside the adlmidi folder right? what file exactly? i already have libadlmidi compiled and installed on my machine

im on ubuntu btw

Go to the cloned git directory and do this command:

git submodule update --init

Heyo! I'm making a boom compatible combination lock using lots of voodoo dolls and conveyor belts and when testing it in Eternity it works perfectly fine except for one conveyor belt which is unusually slow when compared to PrBoom+. The line is 8 map units in length using Boom action 253. Every other conveyor belt seems to go at exactly the same speed as in PrBoom+, or if the speeds are different between source ports they're not different enough to break anything. Obviously I can just increase the speed of the conveyor belt to make it Eternity compatible, but if a Boom wad does use slow conveyors like that then any demos recorded of it would break when played back in Eternity.

Just tested a little more and when a conveyor is made with a line shorter than 24 units, it becomes much slower in Eternity compared to PrBoom+. But 24 and above and the conveyor speed is the same.

Edited by Grimosaur

Would there be any way to add an autoload folder, similar to that of prboom+um?

Edited by jeremieh

On 9/27/2021 at 6:23 AM, Sokoro said:

Is this engine anyway realted to eternal doom wad?

No, Eternal Doom predates it by a number of years and was developed by a completely unrelated team. It will, however, run Eternal Doom 3 fine. The Eternal Doom 4 demo requires ZDoom. Eternity was originally going to be a TC with similar themes to Eternal Doom if memory serves (ie: time travel) but it never came to pass. The original developer then parlayed his efforts into a dedicated standalone source port.

Edited by Murdoch

On 1/27/2021 at 7:32 AM, Altazimuth said:

Heads up, I couldn't use these on my GNU/Linux.

When I "git submodule update --init" as mentioned in the build instructions, it complains:

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Doing cmake without that step just tells me it needs to be done.

The only way I could get a working version of the source code was by doing an actual git clone via

git clone https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity.git

Then it works.

Well right, because those aren't git repositories, just hard copies of the source. You can't run git commands on things that aren't git repositories.

I'm not sure what you were expecting.

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I'm not sure what you were expecting.

For the source code package that was provided to be buildable according to the build instructions in README.adoc?

Right, and it is. As you didn't pull it from a git repository, you skip the parts related to git. Context awareness is important.