Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pixel Fiend

Do you know some obscure 1990's PC games?

Here is a couple more games made by Longsoft Multimedia during the late-1990s to early 2000s, at least according to this forum post on the Lost Media Wiki.

Here's some extra CD-ROMEK releases:

Twoje ulubione piosenki (A Music CD)

Wakacje z Przygodą - Słoneczne Piosenki (A Music CD)

Orle Gniazdo / Historia Camelotu

Mikołajkowe nutki (A Music CD)

CD-Romek w szkole/Mały Uczeń

Komiks do Poduszki

Now here's the Dinozaur Gadzio series of edutainment games:

Mały Dinozaur Gadzio bawi i uczy

Dinozaur Gadzio Afryka

Dinozaur Gadzio Azja

Dinozaur Gadzio Europa

Here's a couple of the miscellaneous stuff:

Orle Gniazdo

Bajkowe Puzzle

Mały Uczeń - Edukacja i Zabawa dla Każdego (Small Schoolchild - Education and Fun for Everyone)

Komiks do poduszki (Comic to be sent to pillow and sleep)

Got those other Longsoft Multimedia games out of the way.

The Vortex/Quantum project. Had some really great fun with this game back in mid-90s. There was also som strange game called The journeyman project. Both of these were some kind of FMV-games/Myst-like games.

I also enjoyed Novastorm which was a good arcade shooter-like. Theres also Wetlands which is a cool storydriven onrails-game.

Mag Racer, a 1997 MS-DOS racing game by Infinite Dreams Software. To quote from LGR, the graphics are bizarre and ugly, the cars don't work and out of control, and the camera is the worst in any MS-DOS racer. In the league race you race with a bunch of other ugly cars which look just like Hot Wheels cars, with really bad like GIF images or something converted over into sprites to make these look like they are turning.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - while many gamers consider it the most infamous game released in 1994 that killed the 3DO console, there was a Windows 3.1 version released in 1993 about a year earlier than the 3DO version, but the Windows 3.1 version had a very limited release and copies of this version are extremely rare, and this version wouldn't be played by the general public until 2017 when a copy was uploaded online for anyone to play it.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

I played this quite a bit as a young kid on DOSBox:

Also I remember being amazed at such an old DOS game like this supporting basically 720p:

9 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - while many gamers consider it the most infamous game released in 1994 that killed the 3DO console, there was a Windows 3.1 version releases in 1993 about a year earlier than the 3DO version, but the Windows 3.1 version had a very limited release and copies of this version are extremely rare, and this version wouldn't be played by the general public until 2017 when a copy was uploaded online for anyone to play it.

Quite possibly the most baffling game in history. I would like anyone who thought that game was a good idea and would definitely not be an extinction level failure to submit themselves to scientific study because their logic is not like our Earth logic.

14 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - while many gamers consider it the most infamous game released in 1994 that killed the 3DO console, there was a Windows 3.1 version releases in 1993 about a year earlier than the 3DO version, but the Windows 3.1 version had a very limited release and copies of this version are extremely rare, and this version wouldn't be played by the general public until 2017 when a copy was uploaded online for anyone to play it.

That actually explains a lot of things -it made perfect sense for it to have originated as a Windows 3.1 "multimedia" game. See kids, back then "3D Interactive Multimedia' was all the rage, and for a short (mind you, VERY short) while it appeared that traditional video game making (aka good old fashioned game design, programming, sweat, blood & tears) could be replaced by crude digital video editors, photoshopped pictures, crude 3D renderings and all tied together by so-called "multimedia authoring" software, opening that newfangled "video games" market to just about any random layman with delusions of being a movie director/"content creator" of sorts. The results of this approach, let's put it diplomatically, varied a lot. At best you'd get something like Myst or Blue Ice. At worst, well, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was (?) the limit.

Games like under Under a Killing Moon IMO avoided the pitfalls of this transitional tech/approach to gaming because they did NOT rely solely on FMV and crude DVD menu-like gameplay (DVDs weren't a thing yet, but you get what I mean): UAKM in particular had more than enough "traditional" non-FMV, non-Multimedia-based gameplay and graphics thrown in, some of it quite innovative too.

I wonder if Terminal Velocity, Fury3 and Hellbender fit in the obscure category? I don't see many review videos aside from a few channels. I also tried out the multiplayer for Terminal Velocity via DOSBox not too long ago, seems fun.

Galacta was a shoot-em up that I never managed to complete. Apparently only the shareware version exists, the full game was never released.

Here's at least five Hot Wheels PC games made between 1998 and 2000 to bring in another set of late 20th-century PC games.

Hot Wheels: Stunt Track Driver - an FMV on-rails 3D racing game released in 1998 with six tracks, and a level editor. There's was also a hidden level that looks a bit unfinished but hey it's playable. Also known ad Hot Wheels Stunt Driver in Germany and Hot Wheels Circuit Cascades in France.

Hot Wheels: Crash! - an arcade Stunt show-like game released in 1999 with at least 14 levels. There were also six downloadable maps as well, but they haven't been archived anywhere sadly.

Hot Wheels: Stunt Track Driver 2: Get 'N Dirty - the sequel to the first Stunt Track Driver released in 2000 with six tracks that strangly used FMV footage and a level editor with a 3D engine for some odd reason. Not sure why they designed that way, but it was probably for budget constraints or performance reasons.

Hot Wheels: Slot Car Racing - a 3D racer released in 2000 that came with Slot-Car controllers that plugged into a PC Game Port, so these controllers probably don't work with modern versions of Windows.

Hot Wheels: Micro Racers - a top down racer released in 2000 with three game modes, Single Race, Championship and Pursue. It's considered a 3D clone of the Micro Machines series.

Wanted to get these Hot Wheels PC games out of the way.

Here's a couple of Marvel comics-based PC games (and in rare cases PC ports) released in the 90s that probably haven't been mentioned here.

The Incredible Hulk: The Pantheon Saga - a 2.5D Beat Em Up game developed by Attention of Detail and Published by Eidos in 1996 for MS-DOS, Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn. The game received negative reviews for its graphics, gameplay, controls and music, and it frequently appears on many lists of worst Superhero games and worst Marvel comics games. Obviously, the graphics, animations and art style to me looks like a cross between the unreleased Sega 32X game X-Men: Mind Games and the unreleased 1994 film adaptation of Fantastic Four produced by Roger Corman.

Iron Man / X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal - a linear Beat Em Up game similar to Final Fight with Shoot Em Up elements featuring Marvel's Iron Man and Valiant's X-O Manowar characters developed by Real Sports & Realtime Associates and published by Acclaim in 1996 for Playstation 1, Sega Saturn, Sega Game Gear, Nintendo Game Boy and PC.

The Punisher (1990) - a top-down and first person action racing game developed by Paragon Software and published by MicroProse. There was an addon releases the same year called Eternity Disk which contained 50 extra missions and a Mission Construction Set. This game isn't to be confused with the 2005 game developed by Volitian and published by THQ for the Xbox, Playstation 2 and PC.

X-Men II: The Fall of the Mutants - a top down Action RPG developed and published by Paragon Software and released in 1991. This isn't to be confused with either X-Men 2 Clone Wars released in 1995 for the Sega Genesis or the later X2 Wolverine's Revenge game released in 2003 in conjunction with the second X-Men film.

X-Men: Children of the Atom - originally an arcade Fighting game released in December 1994 by Capcom, was later ported to Sega Saturn in 1996, MS-DOS in 1997 and lastly the Playstation in 1998.

X-Men: Raveges of the Apocalypse - originally a Total Conversion mod for Quake in December 1997, it's source code was released in 2005 in which it became a standalone mod.

X-Men: Interactive CD-ROM Comic Book - a Macintosh exclusive interactive activity center than anything else released in 1995.

The Amazing Spider-Man - a platformer game released in 1990 for the Amiga. Atari ST, Commodore 64 and MS-DOS developed by Oxford Digital Enterprises and Published by Paragon Software.

Venom • Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety - 2D side-scrolling platform-action beat 'em up game released in 1995 for SNES, Sega Genesis and Windows 95.

Spider-Man: The Sinister Six - a Point and Click adventure game released in 1996 developed by Brooklyn Multimedia and published by Bryon Preiss Multimedia.

Spider-Man (2000) a 3D action platformer developed by Neversoft and Published by Activision for the Playstation 1, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, and PC in 2000. Not to be confused with the 2002 game release in conjunction with the first Spider-Man film.

Wanted to get these Marvel comics-based games out of the way.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:30 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

X-Men: Raveges of the Apocalypse - originally a Total Conversion mod for Quake in December 1997, it's source code was released in 2005 in which it became a standalone mod.

I'm not sure about this. I also read somewhere that it is stand-alone, but the free full version available from Zero Gravity still requires Quake to run, as far as I can tell. You can play it solo in DarkPlaces but some sound effects and particles (?), maybe even some effects models will be missing.

Here's two 3D beat em up games that were made using the same engine developed by Canadian game developer company Gray Matter Inc. (not to be confused with American game developer company Gray Matter Interactive which was formerly known as Xatrix Entertainment which developed Cyberia 1 & 2, Redneck Rampage, Kingpin Life of Crime and Return to Castle Wolfenstein).

Perfect Weapon - originally released on the PlayStation in 1996 with a Windows port released in 1997. It's a 3D beat em up game in the style of Final Fight and Double Dragon but with tank controls on top of pre-rendered cinematic camera 3D backgrounds to match the gameplay style of Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil.

The Crow City of Angels - another 3D beat em up using the same engine as Perfect Weapon released in 1997 which was released for the PlayStation, Sega Saturn and PC, based on the 1996 film of the same name which was a sequel to the 1994 film The Crow. Like Perfect Weapon released a year prior, it combined the Beat em up gameplay of Final Fight and Double Dragon but with the tank controls system on top of pre-rendered cinematic camera 3D backgrounds to match the gameplay style of Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil. Like the film released a year prior, the game received very negative reviews, with criticism for its unresponsive controls, awful 3D graphics, and pathetic gameplay.

The gameplay style of both games reminds me of Cinemassacre's When The Shadows Lay Darkest, a 1997 short movie made by James Rolfe of AVGN fame in Microsoft 3D Movie Maker.

maybe someone can help trying to find a game thought it was called "Stealth" but closest I've found to looking like it is "Terminal Velocity".  I remember flying like a black alien ship and fighting a Sphinx but cant seem to find the game anywhere

7 hours ago, Angelspawn20 said:

maybe someone can help trying to find a game thought it was called "Stealth" but closest I've found to looking like it is "Terminal Velocity".  I remember flying like a black alien ship and fighting a Sphinx but cant seem to find the game anywhere

Terminal velocity had two sequels: Fury3 and Hellbender.

I.M. Meen and Chill Manor - both games were educational Wolfenstein 3D clones released for MS-DOS in 1995 and 1996 respectively. Both games were developed by Animation Magic, the same guys that made the two awful CD-i Zelda games "Link: The Faces of Evil" and "Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon". Like the two CD-i Zelda games, the cutscenes from the game were widely used in the YTP days of YouTube, though the cutscenes from the sequel appeared to had never been widely used compared to the prequel.

12 hours ago, Vermil said:

Terminal velocity had two sequels: Fury3 and Hellbender.

I think it may have been Fury 3 thank you been looking for it for awhile

Here's five Unreal Engine 1 games released in 1998 and 2000 that I think nobody has talked about.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard: an FPS game based on Star Trek TNG where you play as the Klingon faction. This one was very unique as this was the only Star Trek game to ever be rated Mature by the ESRB, as all others often had a Teen rating.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen: a Third Person Shooter game based upon the Millenium series of Star Trek DS9 novels.

Dr. Brain: Action Reaction: a 3D Puzzle game aimed at kids, where you just run around freely, jump, swim and even fly in each of the 45 levels.

Nerf Arena Blast: a non-violent FPS game that is consider a kid-friendly version of Unreal Tournament as it uses the same engine.

TNN Outdoors Pro Hunter: a animal hunting FPS game similar to Deer Hunter featuring the branding of cable TV network TNN (which later became Spike and now Paramount Network)

Just wanted to get these Unreal Engine 1 games out of the way.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, holaareola said:

- Scorched Earth was one of the first really fun multiplayer games I got to try. Worms perfected the formula a few years later.

I think I've played scorched earth at some stage in my life...

Here's a couple of third person shooters and 3D games that nobody seems to know about.

Crusaders of Might and Magic - a third-person action RPG developed and published by 3DO in 1999. There were at least two console exclusive sequels to this game, Warriors of Might and Magic in 2000 and Shifters in 2002, both of which received mostly negative reviews. 

Urban Chaos - a third-person action-adventure game developed by Mucky Foot Productions and published by Eidos in 1999.

Fighting Force - a 3D beat em up developed by Core Design and published by Eidos in 1997. There was a console exclusive sequel released in 1999 but it wasn't as successful and recieved average reviews at best.

Glover - a 3D platformer game developed by Interactive Studios (then later Blitz Games) and published by Hasbro Interactive in 1998. There was to be a sequel to the game, but it was shelved after the first game underperformed commercially.

Messiah - a third-person action-adventure game developed by Shiny Entertainment and published by Interplay in 2000. Apparently, this game was the origin of Roblox's OOF sound as it originally appeared in the closing cutscene of the game, which resulted the sound effect being cut from Roblox unless you purchase it through the in-game store. Part of the game's soundtrack was contributed by Fear Factory which they released a compilation album with their music from the game.

Wanted to get these out of the way.

Incidente em Varginha - also known as, The Varginha Incident, as well as Alien Shootout and Alien Anarchy in other parts of Europe. This is a first person shooter developed in Brazil by Perceptum and released in 1998. It obviously looks like a poor man's cross between Daggerfall and Duke Nukem 3D.

Hades 2: another first-person shooter developed in Brazil by Espaço Informática and released in 1999. They later released the game as freeware in 2009.

Dune was a 1992 title released by Cryo Interactive and published by Virgin. Cryo's dev cycle worried Virgin, who nixed the project without telling them, turning to Westwood Studios to develop what became Dune 2. Cryo finished their game, so Virgin released both in the same year.

Although Dune 2 was far more influential due to it spearheading the real time strategy genre, Cryo's Dune was a fascinating hybrid of point-and-click/adventure/interactive graphic novel. Its striking art direction and new age/world soundtrack has aged like fine wine, while the gameplay is still intriguing to this day. 

You take on the role of Paul Atreides, a prince whose family has been tasked with mining the spice melange, the most powerful substance in the universe. You'll rally workers to mine spice, and eventually train soldiers to take down your arch nemesis, the Harkonnens. The plot borrows heavily from the book with visual elements from the David Lynch film. 

Descent to Undermountain: a Dungeon & Dragons-based First-Person roleplaying game released in December 1997 or January 1998 depending on your source, running on the same engine as Descent. It has a nice cover art by Clyde Caldwell, but too bad it has nothing to do with the game at all, and was already used in two D&D projects, the Spellfire novel written by Ed Greenwood, and another D&D video game Order of the Griffon released in 1992 for the TurboGrafx-16. It's in a very incomplete state with tons of bugs and glitches and is hailed by many as the worst D&D game of all time. It obviously looks like an inferior clone of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.

theres this really obscure kids fps game called wheels

all you really do is shoot pies at these clown guys

also for some reason the death sound effect is ripped straight from that scene in inseminoid where that lady was giving birth to an alien

Anyone remember a Win98 freeware game that was a multiplayer sidescrolling LMS shooter? The premise was that you were in Hell and had to fight to the death for Satan's amusement. (I know - so edgy.) The draw of the game was the number of characters in the map and the exaggerated violence.