Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

[Final Release] Micro Slaughter Community Project (17 maps)

@Arbys550 Maybe you're talking about Map05? I haven't played Map06 yet. Maybe there's another one of these problems.

Map05 needs a bit of tweak because the teleporter will make you stationary for a while.

When you teleporter out and face the final Cyber in front of the purple portal, you can be just killed. Also that 3 consecutive telefragging is also really bad and probably you'll be killed... Probably just make a crusher for those 3 Cybers.

Also, you can accidentally block the out teleporter of the BFG and lose it permanently…

I managed to finish the yellow key part in map 13(UV),  but still don't have a clue about the blue key part. The revenants and imps will fill up the space very quickly,  so I always end up surrounded to death.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

@Arbys550 Maybe you're talking about Map05? I haven't played Map06 yet. Maybe there's another one of these problems.

Yeah, map05. Whoops

7 hours ago, dmslr said:
  Hide contents

Thanks for that health potion

The secret gives you more than just that on easier difficulty settings. And hey, never underestimate the power of 1HP. :)

5 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

Also map13 is probably one of the hardest maps I've ever played.

Yeah that's dubzzz for you :D

Did a stream through it earlier, good stuff all around!  I concur with Arbys550 - map13 was the standout, challenge-wise.  Some of them are real lookers too, very nice environments.

I'm just under halfway through and I've had more fun with this wad than any other in at least the last 6 months. I don't know if that's down to my tastes at the moment but this is an extremely well crafted wad. I'll have to finish it and think on it but right now I'd be inclined to mentionate this for a Cacoward.

Playing on UV, and so I'm currently stalled at the BFG arena on map 03.

Spoiler

Have tried quietly herding the pinkies to bog down the arch-viles before I wake them up, and I think I'm halfway to the solution, not not completely there yet.

Not really asking for help (yet), just wanted to share my confusion (so far) with this puzzle. I guess I'd take a hint.

So far it's all been utterly beautiful.

32 minutes ago, LordEntr0py said:

Map03

Spoiler

The AV's spawn points are their weakness ;)

God knows how many times I've died before I finally finished map13. I'm not good at slaughter map, so getting through this map is really memorable! 

On 1/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, xvertigox said:

As a fan of Rush

Oh, I'm a fan of Rush too!!! I'LL CHOOSE A PATH MUCH CLEAR I'LL CHOOSE FREE... Oh wait, nevermind.

Edited by DSC

Well, this came at a good time since I'm right in the middle of playing Sunder, so I could use something on the opposite side of the length spectrum.

My comments on the maps I've finished so far (based on UV difficulty):

Map01

Spoiler

Fun opening map, nothing difficult but the music makes it feel exciting anyway. I liked the quick series of small encounters. I did completely run out of ammo by the end with 2 mancubi still alive, which meant I couldn't get 100% kills. Some extra shells at the exit would be nice without making the map easier.

Map02

Spoiler

It's a little gimmicky, but that's perfectly fine for a short map. The first fight kind of plays itself once you've initiated the infighting, but hey, the environment is really nice to look at while you're waiting.

Map03

Spoiler

Great-looking map. Last fight is the first one so far to give me real trouble, but it was fun to figure out the solution.

Map04

Spoiler

Solid map. From the pad with the rocket launcher you can get up on the high ground, which doesn't break anything but it may not be intentional.

Map05

Spoiler

First room was satisfying to beat, although it always felt like I had to wait a little too long for the archviles to come down. Never been a fan of damaging floor arenas, but I also found I could mostly ignore it in the second room and just run in circles.

Map06

Spoiler

The amount of detailing in the environment is crazy. In terms of gameplay though, I didn't really enjoy this one. I got tired of being blinded by archviles trying to find weapons, so I ended up just exploring it without monsters first. Once I knew what to do it wasn't so bad, but it was still the least fun map for me so far.

Map07

Spoiler

I liked the idea behind this map, pretty memorable. Nice example of something that suits a 5 minute map very well and ends before it gets old. I couldn't find a consistent way of getting through the first revenant wave and the one after it, but getting lucky works too sometimes.

Map08

Spoiler

Ah, this is where '5 minute map' turns into 'eat revenant missiles for half an hour'. Even though it's packed to the brim with enemies it never felt unfair. The arachnotron room gave me a harder time than I was expecting. I appreciated the map design, and the skeletons.

Map09

Spoiler

Compared to the rest of the wad, this map was kind of easy, despite all the cyberdemons. Most of the fights give you plenty of room and don't apply a lot of pressure.

Map10

Spoiler

Like in map 9, I think the two big rooms give you too much space so you can easily run in circles until everything is dead. If you're going for 100% kills, it's a bit annoying having to wait on all the arachnotrons to teleport in at the end.

In addition to the bugs I already saw mentioned, the squares in the first room where the pillars rise up after you hit the switch are impassable, so if you run around to collect ammo first you'll bump into random invisible walls. Making those areas visually distinct would make that feel less unnatural.

Map11

Spoiler

Struggled with the darkness more than the enemies here. A fine single room slaughter map.

Map12

Spoiler

Liked this map a lot. I didn't find the secret BFG and I think it's probably more fun without it. I had some issues with the lift out of the toxic pit. It goes back down whenever an imp steps on it, and there's a lot of imps.

Map 13

Spoiler

What a monster. I have no idea how you're supposed to do the blue key fight. I just slammed my head against the revenant wall until I caught a break. The big battle was a real adrenaline rush. I had to make a save in the middle and, after many deaths, managed to survive it with 1% hp. I was not happy to see that final room though. I got excited thinking the map was over, and fighting 9 cyberdemons coming from all directions is not my idea of a good time.

I'm looking forward to the demo so I can see how you can beat it single segment without being a doom god :D

13 hours ago, Vile said:

Did a stream through it earlier, good stuff all around!  I concur with Arbys550 - map13 was the standout, challenge-wise.  Some of them are real lookers too, very nice environments.

I watched your stream last night (meant to just watch a map or two before bed, ended up watching the whole thing!), really fun to watch you puzzle your way through the maps, I'm glad you enjoyed it! 

If anyone else is interesting in watching it, it's here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/892183904

10 minutes ago, SCF said:

Well, this came at a good time since I'm right in the middle of playing Sunder, so I could use something on the opposite side of the length spectrum.

Thank you for the detailed feedback!  Regarding Map 13: Bdubzzz and I considered potentially dropping the final room from the map for the exactly the reason you outlined.  We decided not to in the end just to see what the feedback would be, but for the final release we'll re-examine its inclusion.

1 hour ago, SCF said:

Map04

Hide contents

Solid map. From the pad with the rocket launcher you can get up on the high ground, which doesn't break anything but it may not be intentional.

Thanks for playing! This was actually an intentional thing. I thought of it as being a way to bail on that centre lane if you got surrounded.

You guys are absolutely amazing.  I'm in awe of the beauty and grandeur of the architecture, not to mention the insane battles.

Here is Map03 on UV with 100% score (after many re-tries to get this one success lol):

Spoiler

I needed a break after map 13, but I went back and finished the rest of it. I had a great time with this wad, so thanks everyone who contributed.

Map 14

Spoiler

Really impressive map, definitely one of my favorites. Great in both visuals and gameplay. I wonder how much harder the fountain fight is without the secret BFG (which lets you tackle the two waves separately). The last batch of revenants outside was kind of trivialized by the fact that you can retreat back into the building and enemies are not good at circling around.

Map 15

Spoiler

I'm blown away by how good some of these maps look. Even by the already high standards of this wad, this one looks stunning. I don't think it really felt like a 'slaughter' map, other than the one bit at the end, but I still liked it.

But man, that is one obscure secret. I had to look it up in the editor to find it. And when I saw what the room before the secret exit was like, I just gave up and moved on. I wasn't willing to spend however long it would take to get through The Chasm: Extreme Mode.

Map 31

Spoiler

There's not much to say about this one, except that it's a shame GZDoom spoils the surprise by counting lost souls.

Map 16

Spoiler

Again, just a beautiful map. A fitting end to the wad, even if it's not the hardest level. Much easier than map 8 I think. The fights were all short but hectic and interesting, exactly what I had in mind when I saw "Micro slaughter". Except maybe the red key arena, where it seemed like you just have to kill the handful of enemies on the outside and then you can run in circles until everything is dead.

Not a huge fan of the 'time limit' with the rad suit in the last fight, but it's novel and it wasn't so punishing that it made the fight significantly harder. It just meant I couldn't relax and let infighting handle most of it.

A small tip for anyone, who is looking for 5 minutes demo for the MAP16:

Spoiler

You can telefrag all 4 cyberdemons at once on the podium. I did place enough cell packs to spam BFG shots from the pit, but it's worth to know, if you want to speedrun the final level.

69th like. nice.

Also grats everyone on the release! I forgot I made something for this... I guess this is my official public MIDI debut then, huh? :D

This was a fun little pack. A good variety of aesthetic styles and approaches to combat. I particularly loved map15 and its secret exit path, map07, 08 and 11.

Here's my question though: Is there an consistent strategy for dealing with the big fight in map13? I've found a very consistent way to deal with the blue key fight, the yellow fight is entirely contingent on whether the pain elementals play nice or decide to shield themselves with souls but is still vaguely manageable, but i'm completely at a loss to see a way to beat the major fight more than one time out of ten. The odds of getting walled or tagged with a stray cyberdemon rocket seem really high. The spider and viles do a very good job at acting as hard buffer keeping the player out of one half of the map so herding is very hard and infighting is very slow when you have giant slabs of the same monster type. I found it sort of useful to spam down the barons at the start and work a little crescent in the centre of the map, eventually pushing into the mancubus corner and holding the breech against the cyberdemon but there's still a point where I had to spam the BFG and punch through the wall of revenants and nobles, which can lead to big point blank damage.

Even if there's a nice trick to that fight, I think map13 is a little too overtuned for its slot. MAP14 is a complete cakewalk by comparison and 15 and 16 are also a fair bit easier. I've managed to beat all the other maps recording cl9 demos without too much trouble, but 13 is a brick wall for me. If the key fights go smoothly and you survive the big fight, the final encounter with the cyberdemons is just incredibly harsh  with no recovery items and the odds of getting pegged by a rocket through a cyberdemon death animation over seemed high. It's feels a lot like it was dropped in from dimensions or something. That said, i'd love to see a demo of it in this state and think it'd be a good fit for the map32 slot.

Thanks for playing! I see that I made the easier map in the bunch, lots of people said this at the discord server during the alpha management. Glad you liked my map, anyway!

Here is a demo of Map 13 in 7:06 .. time is a bit slower then it should be cause I missed picking up the blue key but i think either way it doesnt fit in the "less than 5 minute max" category without some serious luck with infighting so the final 12 cybers will likely be removed for the final version. As far as the big fight goes I'm not gonna try to argue what justifies "consistent" but I can beat the fight within a few attempts every time and also multiple times in a row.. as far as if it's "7/10" times or not.. probably not? Don't know as I only spent 30 minutes practicing the fight for the demo, if I spent much longer.. hours.. I bet it could be very consistent. Once in a while a stray cyber rocket got me on the run by of the revs but then I have to wonder if I could of dodged it if I saw it coming? Probably so. Anyway the fight is a bit harder then anything else in the wad ( on UV ) but I like to make UV actually hard... challenging for me.. which to most people comes off as "what the heck is this luck based garbage?" :p HMP on the other hand I made for the more general Doomworld audience that I figured would play a Slaughter Mapset on HMP and the map is actually on the easier side on HMP compared to other maps. ( I have heard anyway ) As far as the 12 cybers at the end that is 100% consistent, comes down to your skill in dodging multiple cyber rockets. ;

ms13-706.zip

1 hour ago, Bdubzzz said:

Here is a demo of Map 13 in 7:06 .. time is a bit slower then it should be cause I missed picking up the blue key but i think either way it doesnt fit in the "less than 5 minute max" category without some serious luck with infighting so the final 12 cybers will likely be removed for the final version. As far as the big fight goes I'm not gonna try to argue what justifies "consistent" but I can beat the fight within a few attempts every time and also multiple times in a row.. as far as if it's "7/10" times or not.. probably not? Don't know as I only spent 30 minutes practicing the fight for the demo, if I spent much longer.. hours.. I bet it could be very consistent. Once in a while a stray cyber rocket got me on the run by of the revs but then I have to wonder if I could of dodged it if I saw it coming?

ms13-706.zip

Thanks for the demo! The mistake I was making was not prioritising murdering the spider masterminds. When those lads are dead there's suddenly a whole lot more space and the rest of the fight rolls up quite nicely. The hitscan damage stacks up really fast too, even at a distance. There's still a lot that can go wrong in the first 20 seconds but it feels a whole lot more consistent.

Hey ppl, this is a lovely mapset, here are a few thoughts if you're looking for feedback (mind you I haven't finished the whole thing yet but I'm getting there).

Map01

Spoiler

Lovely little starting map, if nitpicking the intro fights until the first big imp horde seem a bit unnecessary and the mancubi TPing all over the final arena feel a bit too RNG to let you clear a corner and start working them. If anything my best strat was to stay a bit in one of switch rooms which kinda kills the fun of slaughter. The rev spillover was worth it though :)

Map02

Spoiler

Step 1: Don't shoot, step 2: let the cybers clear the room, step 3: feel smart. I know this is obvious but it still felt good to do. Also IDBEHOLDL to admire the ceiling, yea the lighting effect is awesome but the plain geometry is great too. Maybe you could offer a light amp at the end to add this experience to the map by default? Second fight was not too interesting but oh well.

Map03

Spoiler

Just plain beautiful, I've played more purple stuff by Danlex and I loved it. First two fights were short and cool. The last one was amazing in that looking at it at first I thought I was in for a savescum session but it was pretty doable after you get a strat in your head. Feels like there's too much cells btw but it may be there to allow more ways to navigate the arena?

Map04

Spoiler

I really believe this map could do with a bit more ammo or at least a berserk (didn't find the secret I guess that'd help). Not that my playing was super tight or anything but running out at the end does feel disappointing. I do love me these arenas with low blocking ledges that don't block projectiles though so it still left a good taste.

Map05

Spoiler

First fight was great but doing it twice felt unnecessary and that last Vile with no cover is just RNG. Gratuitous imp slaughter with the help of the boys is always welcome though! I'm a bit torn by the second fight, I appreciate the floor effect technically but paying attention to it became a chore and at the end I just treated the fight as being on a timer and I had to kill everything before I die to the radiation. I had the issue with the cybers at the end too but since there were tons of cells around I just went back to the first arena and cleared them before exiting ;)

Map06

Spoiler

I skipped this one for now since there's something about crates and techbases that turns me off and the initial arena was not too inviting. I will play it later and try to offer something constructive though :)

Map07

Spoiler

Amazing start, simple but imposing architecture with the obvious Sunder15 vibes. I feel like the second part at the "back" of the structure was a bit boring though. While the extra turns and corridors make for great gameplay, herding monsters one way and then going around, I think it was missing some extra umf. Maybe some stuff sniping you or something stupid like fill the back with a billion hitscan peppered with a few viles just for the heck of it. I was amazed that the kings did survive and with hefty hitpoints at the end though since I was a bit worried the namesakes would die offscreen.

Map08

Spoiler

The second map I skipped, got out of the starting area but it's one of those "let's throw a few doomguy corpses at the map to see where we have to go". Again I didn't have the patience for now but I'll be back.

Map09

Spoiler

A bit of an oddball map comparatively since it's the least "slaughterish" of the bunch. I also feel there are a few great ideas here that could do with a bit more exploring. For example the weapon choice at the start was super intriguing but then you get back and can get both very fast. The progression was suuuuper weird but the interconnectedness at least keeps you from actually getting lost so props for that. Generally I felt like I didn't know what I was doing but at least I knew where I was. Also these stairs that drop... why? I mean it looks cool but it didn't really do anything useful so it felt a bit flat (hehe) in the end.

Map10

Spoiler

This map could use around 500 more enemies or something in the two big arenas. They both felt a bit empty. The invincibility that you have to properly time to get is a great idea but the powerup itself was not really needed. In fact that fight prompted me to just run around without firing a single shot and explore the complex around. Not saying that was not fun, but it feels like this was not the intent. The final fight also was a bit anticlimactic since all you need to do is run around and get the arachnotrons, the middle stuff posed no threat at all. Maybe the previous cybers could be TP'd here and also save us from having to waste a ton of ammo to kill them at these awkward angles.

Map11

Spoiler

While the idea is super basic and nothing new or anything this map really did it for me - midi helped a lot too. Short and sweet and with it being a single fight it pushed me to beat it single segment https://youtu.be/wpJwY4Cc6l4 :D If anything I think at the end swapping all the final barons for viles would have been even more of a blast!

Map12

Spoiler

Great first arena, it looks way tougher than it is so it feels good to beat. Awkward cyber is awkward though, maybe it would be cool to lower him at the end so he stops shooting at his own feet lol. The next transitional fights were ok but nothing to write home about. I didn't like the system off/online fight because it kept kicking my ass... With 80sth health / 0 armor it was impossible for me, until I went back and found the BFG which then trivialized it. Btw you can grab the BFG without even opening the secret door. The rest was again not too interesting especially being basically a rehash of the previous transition fights.

Map13

Spoiler

Typical dubz bullshit map lol. Yellow key was cool, pinkies and PEs to make your rockets a liability and zombies to delay the viles targeting you. Blue key was an RNG fiesta until you can get one or two circle (or horseshoe) strafes - I did appreciate the little pink fountains though :P I didn't manage to beat the big fight even with excessive scumming so I'll try again to solve this later.

Map14

Spoiler

This guy can map. While the first part wasn't too slaughtery it felt as a cool intro to get your guns. The main event was a great fight although I have to say I was constantly distracted by the insane amount of ammo and health lying around, worrying it's there for some upcoming fight and I'm screwing myself by wasting it. The table in the middle provided a usually clear path to switch sides but at the cost of health through the hurt floor which was also very interesting to me. The rest felt a bit unnecessary, didn't bring much to the table and was easily trivialized by the ammo and health.

Map15

Spoiler

Skipped this one too, was getting a bit tired and this seemed to need some thinking. Best midi ofc :D

Map16

Spoiler

What can I say about the beauty of this map that hasn't already been said? Even the red/yellow EXIT letters were FUCKING BEAUTIFUL, I mean common! Jokes aside the two key fights were very easy and super relaxing, buuuuuuuut I'm not a fan of awkward cybers. I get the use of them in the fights as turrets but maybe after the rest of the fight is done they could be released to roam around? My problem is that I'll either shotgun them safely and get bored (wouldn't be a problem for 1 but it is for multiples) or I'll savescum to BFG them quick and dirty. I didn't manage to crack the exit fight yet, that's where I called it quits, but I'm very intrigued by the whole "you got one rad suit to solve this" situation.

PS After writing this wall of text and realising most of it is "critical feedback", I wanna just reiterate that this is meant to be constructive so I focus a lot on the weaker imo parts. If you don't all already know this, you all did an amazing job and I thank you for it <3

Continuing...

Map03

Spoiler

Just went back to that beauty and managed to get a single segment there too :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gH4czZFXMg

Map15

Can someone spoil how we get to the secret exit?

Spoiler

I thought I was close after I found the yellow key but never found a use for it :( Also the turret cyber next to it TP'd to the final room after I shot it? That was weird and felt like a bug. And that final fight was impossible for me without the cyber's help (but hadn't found the secret mega when first I tried it so maybe the extra health would make it possible). The map overall was insanely beautiful and very worthy of the Tool song, I'd definitely go back and tell my friends I was abducted by aliens afterwards! Strong sunlust vibes with low monster counts in tight arenas. At the start there's an AVJ choice to either go for the plasma or the SSG and well going for the SSG is not a really good choice so maybe that was not intended as a "choice"? There's a health potion pointing to both so maybe that confused me? But that exit man... a work of art.

Map31

Spoiler

Idclev'ed to check it out, ok jokemap, ok for the secret map slot, but I don't think I'd play this again :P

Map16

Spoiler

Just finished the final fight that wasn't too crazy after all, so nothing to add here. The antaresian city style though is MVP!

Only a few stuff I skipped left so almost there.

Final bump here I swear (even tho it deserves more)! Finished with the wad and I gotta say this is my favourite way to play doom. Short and insane! This style makes me think that generally slaughtermaps tend to be arenas slapped one after the next, so if you take a random one and split it in separate maps it'd be 90% the same gameplay. Sure some enjoy the endurance part of beating a huge map but I tend to enjoy each battle separately, so small maps make more sense in that respect. In any case I hope the genre gains traction and you guys make more of these :D

Map06

Spoiler

So after I got my bearings the map actually made sense. I loved the little subtle fact that the vile ledge has some room and you can avoid the blasts by rotating around it. This makes a huge difference to the standard vile turret that would push you to cower more behind cover. The cacos can become annoying when infinite-height-blocking you. If they came in from a lower spot they'd be keep the same pressure in the arena and visibly be in your way too :P Also the rev waves are a bit of a downgrade compared to the initial insane melee so maybe they could use a bit more monster variety? Loved the simple secret too.

Map08

Spoiler

Great start! It's amazing how easy it is to get through simply and consistently even if initially looks like it wouldn't be the case. The taka-taka-aou-taka-taka-aou... room took me about a billion tries to get through lol. My strat was to just pain the four lower spiderbois until they die and that took too long for me to not fuck it up half way through every time. One less arachnotron would probably be perfect balance for me but I'm sure others prefer it as is. Anyway I've seen the arachnotron pain game explored similarly in a noreason map and I really wanna see more of it! The closing battle was great fun and I was amazed at the end where my final monster was the caco on the teleporter and only then I realised how the map changed shape earlier. The secrets were my only gripe, some were too random-wall-humpy.

Map13

Spoiler

Went back to it and I managed to get the blue key fight much more consistent by focusing on the imps first to create space (slaughter 101 I know). This time I felt the yellow key was more RNG for me, depending a lot on how many souls the PEs would throw in my face. So basically my issue is this is a bit out of my league meaning everything feels RNG. Same with the final fight, I found a few ok routes but I still needed mid battle saves (plural) to beat it. Anyway I wanna point out how awesome the effect where everything changes shape at the press of the key switches is. It's the perfect amount of weirdo and out of this world that doom's great at, the feeling I had the first time I saw it especially is still in my mind. I didn't find the final cybers bullshit btw, I understand how it can fuck up single segments but it's still only tough until you can get behind the first three.

41 minutes ago, eirc said:

Sure some enjoy the endurance part of beating a huge map but I tend to enjoy each battle separately, so small maps make more sense in that respect. In any case I hope the genre gains traction and you guys make more of these :D

People thought this many years ago and "micro slaughter" is an existing genre with lots of maps already. I have been actively seeking them out, and mapping in the genre, for years now, and I'll put together a big ol' list at some point.

What a fantastic idea this mapset is. The beauty of the maps is incredible.

I played Dreadopp's Map01 on UV and only died 3 times, all at the Revvie fight. Got past those Mancs on the first try. Hah, what a bunch of wimps!!!! ;D Finished with 50% health and some ammo, too. Lovely map.

Then I got to Bauul's map and was blown away by that lighting effect. So sweet. I've been drooling over Bauul's map pics for what seems like years, but this might be the first time I ever set foot in one. I soon realized that my skills were almost good enough to survive the fights on UV, but not quite, so I'll be dialing down to HNTR. After all, the object of the exercise is to have fun and not get too frustrated, and I'm confident that HNTR will have more than enough action to keep me smiling.

Had a blast playing this!

You know how I keep mentioning that I dislike slaughter, but I finished the entire wad in a 3 hour sitting including deaths so this was a real doozy.

Super enjoyable mapset and an incredible "entry point" for people who are not good at the slaughter genre and are looking to improve.

Here's my Twitch playthrough VOD for anyone who's interested:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/900741969