Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

[Final Release] Micro Slaughter Community Project (17 maps)

I have UV maxed the rest of the maps w/ saves so as far as i know the rest of the maps are doable(except map 14 of course which as far as I can tell was never meant to be demoed w/o tools). Thank you so much for the response I am having a blast with this wad!

(P.S. if you are wanting to make fights un-cheesable, in map 4 the final fight can be triggered by moving to the edge of the ledge without dropping into the pit and you can camp the stairs there.)

Edited by ScrappyMcDoogerton

As someone who loves slaughtermaps but isn't really good enough for most of them, this wad has made great practice for me. Currently on MAP05 in UV and having a great time. Beautiful levels and very well designed.

I've rolled out a small hotfix for the project, new version is up on idgames as v1.0a.  OP is updated too.

Map changes are entirely for Map 10:

• Fixed a bug that prevented an AV spawning in, denying 100% kills
  • Adjusted how the big fight starts to make it more of an actual encounter

I also tweaked one of the intermission texts so "(and..." will no longer come across as "CAND...", heh.

Unless anything else catastrophic is found, this will be the last version.

i REALLY give up trying to find the secret exit in map15, already got the yellow skull but nothing else to do after that, spent like 2 hours trying to find where to go, someone give me a better hint, i already know what the secret area looks like and what to do there (thanks IDCLIP AND IDDQD) but i have NO idea how to get there

Maribo discovered it's possible to softlock Map 10 through a specific progression sequence, so I've whipped up a quick hotfixed version to correct the issue.  It's minor enough that it doesn't desync any demos I could find.  Google Drive link on the OP is updated, and idgames will be shortly.

Well, I went in thinking that the slaughter itself will be "micro", but holy shit, I just gave up on map09. I like the occasional slaughter map in a megawad, Sunlust is one of my favorite wads, but the margin for error in these maps is just incredibly razor thin, with plenty of bullshit moments. I guess it's that type of slaughter where you're expected to replay the same thing over and over again 50 times in a row until you get it right.

1 minute ago, dianghong said:

Well, I went in thinking that the slaughter itself will be "micro", but holy shit, I just gave up on map09. I like the occasional slaughter map in a megawad, Sunlust is one of my favorite wads, but the margin for error in these maps is just incredibly razor thin, with plenty of bullshit moments. I guess it's that type of slaughter where you're expected to replay the same thing over and over again 50 times in a row until you get it right.

Slaughter-maps are like combat puzzles: trying them multiple times until you work out the right approach is part of the appeal. :)

Out of curiosity what difficulty are you playing on?  Lower difficulties should be pretty beatable even for players without much slaughter experience.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Out of curiosity what difficulty are you playing on?  Lower difficulties should be pretty beatable even for players without much slaughter experience.

UV, but trying map08 and 09 on HMP doesn't really do much. It's not the difficulty per se, it's the overall approach. I think Sunlust or Going Down kind of gameplay is much more up my alley.

Anyway, I understand what this type of gameplay is going for, it's just that I didn't really expect it to go to 11 intensity wise in wad that should be more accessible (or that's my understanding at least).

1 hour ago, dianghong said:

UV, but trying map08 and 09 on HMP doesn't really do much.

Mmm, I did put effort into trying to make map08 a reasonable step down between each skill level, but I'll admit it's never been a strong point for me in mapping. Sorry to hear it wasn't as accessible as it could have been, for you. 

This was a ride, and was excellent.

A little pre-amble; back in Feb 2020 I injured my hand, it's RSI and I basically can't use a mouse with my right hand, meaning FPS games are out of the question unless I use a controller. This in mind, I played on HNTR and found it an absolutely-gorgeous thrill-ride with some nice challenges in there; and yet all completely doable for my now-diminished skills.

So, as a set of bitesize slaughtermaps that can be taken in small chunks if my hand tires from controller usage; and it does eventually; this really hit the spot. Amazing work, everyone involved. 

Hey, I really love this set. Excellent work from the team. Visually, I think all maps are distinct and striking in their own way. I also really love how each maps seems to be built around a slaughter concept. 

One issue I'm having is that I get a weird bug on map 10. Whatever route I take, the platforms with the cyberdemon crushers seem to raise and bug out so that I can't move between the main fight room and the room with the hellknights / archvile. 

See screenshots below.

I'm playing the latest dev build of PrBoom Umapinfo; complevel 9.

Base Profile Screenshot 2021.07.28 - 12.51.51.64.png

Base Profile Screenshot 2021.07.28 - 12.52.00.32.png

Base Profile Screenshot 2021.07.28 - 12.52.04.49.png

Base Profile Screenshot 2021.07.28 - 12.52.07.52.png

Glad you're enjoying it! 

12 hours ago, nobleflame said:

One issue I'm having is that I get a weird bug on map 10. Whatever route I take, the platforms with the cyberdemon crushers seem to raise and bug out so that I can't move between the main fight room and the room with the hellknights / archvile. 

Did you download the latest version (updated July 10th)?  There was a bug in Map 10 where if you took the BFG secret and also pressed the switch in-front of the cybs, it would softlock the map.  You can avoid it by doing one or the other (but not both), or the latest version has the issue removed.

16 hours ago, Bauul said:

Glad you're enjoying it! 

Did you download the latest version (updated July 10th)?  There was a bug in Map 10 where if you took the BFG secret and also pressed the switch in-front of the cybs, it would softlock the map.  You can avoid it by doing one or the other (but not both), or the latest version has the issue removed.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. The version I have is listed as 'MSCP_v1a.wad'. Did you do a ninja edit and keep the same file name? 

Also, thanks so much for this pack. Really enjoying it. Done most of the maps single segments (except for a couple). Currently on map 14 and it's kicking my arse! I'm allowing myself to save after each fight, but the last one is mental. haha!

I just finished this wad recently with other Doom mods combination.    

Map04's flood effect is top-notch and Map08 is my favorite one in this wad.

The last map with world-famous skyscrapers around the battle arena is really breathtaking to me. Too bad I was focusing on the arena fights and didn't notice it at first.  As I read every Bauul's comment that giving trivia about each map on Decino's channel, I revisited it several times and it was really an amazing feature!

That was an unforgettable and great journey, I've lots of fun time while playing MSCP.  

My gratitude toward Bauul and Micro Slaughter Community Project Dev. Team.

You guys are amazing and hope to see its sequel in the future!

[youtube]

[/youtube]

On 7/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, Jayextee said:

This was a ride, and was excellent.

A little pre-amble; back in Feb 2020 I injured my hand, it's RSI and I basically can't use a mouse with my right hand, meaning FPS games are out of the question unless I use a controller. This in mind, I played on HNTR and found it an absolutely-gorgeous thrill-ride with some nice challenges in there; and yet all completely doable for my now-diminished skills.

So, as a set of bitesize slaughtermaps that can be taken in small chunks if my hand tires from controller usage; and it does eventually; this really hit the spot. Amazing work, everyone involved. 

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a nightmare for us Doomers (almost as bad as the fear of losing vision...). Are you doing better now? Glad to see you can find things to play. All the best to you!

4 hours ago, kain967 said:

Are you doing better now? Glad to see you can find things to play. All the best to you!

Almost a year later, and yes I'm doing better. Thanks for asking! :)

I may return to this actually, it was a great time -- I can now use a proper mouse and keyboard setup for short bursts of play, and this mapset is overdue a replay (this time on HMP perhaps).

In coop on zandronum you can get stuck on map01 right at the first areas. Things don't spawn in properly and the area never opens up.

There is a fix:

After you start the server, before anyone joins, set the map again.

Awesome map set