Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Massive Fallout Mod Frontier Releases and Disappears Again

Every single Bethesda RPG, be it Morrowind or Fallout 4, has one or more "New Game/Large DLC" styled mods, a notable example would be  Skyblivion (a recreation of Oblivion in Skyrim's engine).

All of these take years to even see progress, let alone releases. Recently thanks to, possibly the only silver lining of this whole Covid shit, more free time, one such mod actually released.

Fallout: The Frontier (or just just Frontier) is a large DLC styled mod for New Vegas that adds hours of content in a large snowy hellscape for you to die in (also vehicles, if you're brave). It almost doubles in size to base New Vegas (literally, as in it is 12gb). It has a somewhat positive reception and personally I uninstalled my New Vegas just to clean install the game and play the Mod (amongst other highly recommended mods like A World of Pain, seriously play this it is great).

However if you didn't get it already you can't at all, as the mod has been pulled after a hyped release and much positive  and also not good (see: fetishitic lizard/slave content) news coverage. This is not because of the fetish shit but actually because one of the developers might like children, a lot.

Now this is indeed terrible and the man is a degenerate who belongs on a cross but it does call a question to me, why is this so god damn common? Not being sick filth is easy, so easy I'm doing it right now without trying.

Anyway the developers have released a statement, are looking to remove the fellow from the project and his work (good), this also means I have a rare collector's item installed though but I'm not entirely sure I want it.

What I want to know is why it took them so long to notice the problematic content. Did they not play their own mod?!? How does a lone developer sneak this shit past the rest of the team, including the voice actors?

But while I absolutely get the backlash against the pedophiliac content, I am not sure I understand the one with the lizard fetish; not that I am defending it, I am just confused. The Mass Effect games allowed you to have sex with aliens - including some reptilian ones (i.e. the Turians) - and I do not recall anyone having a problem with that. So long as it is consensual and not exploitative, what exactly is the harm?

Edited by Rudolph

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

What I want to know is why it took so long for the other developers to notice the problematic content. Did they not play their own mod?!?

Well the CP stuff ain't in the game mod, the dev in question posted it elsewhere.

However I can only assume that the devs were fine with the lizard people sex and slavery

Context, the awful awful context (nsfw):

Spoiler

Slavery

https://m.imgur.com/a/0JjzOrC

Speaks for itself:

7. Years.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

This is not because of the fetish shit but actually because one of the developers might like children, a lot.

Players have previously raised concerns over some of The Frontier's content, and the way it's written—in particular, a teenage girl who can be made into the player-character's sex slave

That's a glaring, blaring red flag right there.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

That's a glaring, blaring red flag right there.

Uh huh, absolutely.

I should have waited for the reviews before I bothered downloading it, I thought I was in for just an expansion only to later find out these things.

I should always wait for the vanguard to report back.

Oh well, seems it's happening again.

Sad to see another mod ruined because of one developer. I hope they can just get rid of their awful content and move on with the mod without future incidents like this.

1 hour ago, lakersforce said:

Seems kind of hypocritical to be okay with slavery, torture and animal cruelty, amongst others, but draw the line at phedofilia.

At first, I was inclined to agree, but then it occurred to me that minors will be playing this mod and as such it might not be a good idea to normalise pedophilia, especially when cyberpredators are a very serious problem. Now, do not get me wrong: normalising torture, slavery and animal cruelty is still bad, but unlike pedophilia, players are much less likely to be affected by those issues in real life.

Edited by Rudolph

Hitler was a horrible man who young painted nice paintings. So... I don't know what you mean.

[and screw you Godwin]

I wonder what the overlap of people who say "Bethesda's writing sucks!" and people who heavily play this mod is. 

3 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

However I can only assume that the devs were fine with the lizard people sex and slavery

Considering more than half on them were furries that's not that surprising and for such quality content written on acceptable level (if "morbid" level is what they were aimed for in first place).

And that moment with one of their artists being pedo is sure a very spicy thing, BUT, I personally have logic in pulling off this mod from literally everywhere just because of this fact alone. The mod itself have way deeper problem than cheese pizza poly lovin' skunksona.

So, are they going to remove the problematic content and re-release the mod? Seems a shame for all the rest of it to be lost because of this.

Aw man, I was looking forward to this. This better get rereleased or I'll have to find a mirror and just side-step the fucked up teenage sex-slave plot.

Never heard the mod before, and while it is kinda weird in some aspects, it was a huge mod, and if you ignored the weird parts it could be in the hall of "Amazing mods that feel like DLCs" along with Fallout Miami and Beyond Skyrim: Bruma.

The thing is, the guy should definetely have been kicked, he's a criminal, everyone agrees on this, but the thing is, treating an artist as the art is pretty incorrect.

A little experiment to explain what i mean:

image.png.1bacb9da312c925ff1b26639eb3fb39d.png

This painting is beautiful, correct?

Spoiler

It was actually made by John Wayne Gacy.

After reading this, you might have given the picture a dark tone, even if you saw it originally as a happy clown.

This is the same thing as Frontier, the creator was an awful person, but the art itself is high quality and pretty decent

2 minutes ago, Stahp said:

image.png.1bacb9da312c925ff1b26639eb3fb39d.png

This painting is beautiful, correct?

LOL, hahaha what a fucking painting to choose to make your point. I get what you're saying a but a mediocre painting of a clown isn't what I'd call 'beautiful'.

Just now, xvertigox said:

LOL, hahaha what a fucking painting to choose to make your point. I get what you're saying a but a mediocre painting of a clown isn't what I'd call 'beautiful'.

It's subjective, but it's definetely not bad, my wording was incorrect, but what could i have written? Sight for sore eyes?

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

So, are they going to remove the problematic content and re-release the mod? Seems a shame for all the rest of it to be lost because of this.

My guess is no, too much of stuff to get rid of, it would be way easier to just shut the circus down. Actually, that's the only option I see to be revelant.

3 minutes ago, Stahp said:

It's subjective, but it's definetely not bad, my wording was incorrect, but what could i have written? Sight for sore eyes?

I just would have used a different piece of art.

Here's the official statement from the Frontier Site:

6yn67hg.png

Hang on, animated pedophilic content?

So basically cub. Urgh.

There's a reason e621 applies a default blacklist of tags when you're searching without being logged in to an account with modified preferences.

At least, the developers seem to be willing to listen to criticisms and address the issue rather than just paint themselves as victims of censorship. 

1 hour ago, Stahp said:

he's a criminal

for posting pictures?! how the fuck posting fucking pictures (not even a humans, but furries/ponies, afaik) turns him into a criminal?!

One of the biggest problems it's, if you launch something that you or your team worked for 7 years, make sure to have certains standards of how people will recieve your game. Many actions of what the  MC can do feel like fetish or enter in a weird zone, where the majority of players, may feel bad to play. And the team it's responsable, they should had know about the stuff that it's on their game, because, it's their game. 

This action can be down, with stuff like telling you player base that this game includes this kind of content, but it's not feel the same as say a sex matures slaves that.. childs slaves, at least there can get the idea of your bad actions, but not that BAD.

Honestly, imho it's not problematic content. I feel like Fallout should be dark and have horrible moments in it. It's a horrible world, bad things are going to happen. Yes, even pedophilia. 𝐈'𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐞𝐝𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚 𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥, but in a world torn by nukes I can promise you somewhere in the waste land there would be pedophiles. Now IDK anything about the DEV's them selves but I've been hearing one of them IS a pedophile, and that's not okay at all. 
Edit: I still have yet to play the mod, but from what I've seen it's not that bad.

You already are not able to kill children in New Vegas, so why should you be able to have sex with them?

Edited by Rudolph

44 minutes ago, Retro Dino said:

I feel like Fallout should be dark and have horrible moments in it. It's a horrible world, bad things are going to happen. Yes, even pedophilia. 

Absolutely fucking not.

Edit: for clarity

Edited by mrthejoshmon

Good move to distance themselves from such scum.

The teenage girl slave thing? Argh, no. The only time pedophiles should come up in a game is if I can put them down like the rabid animals they are.

The lizard people... creepy but well, it's Fallout. It is supposed to be dark and unsettling. I would nope the hell out of that but it certainly adds... er... colour to the world I guess?

2 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Good move to distance themselves from such scum.

The teenage girl slave thing? Argh, no. The only time pedophiles should come up in a game is if I can put them down like the rabid animals they are.

The lizard people... creepy but well, it's Fallout. It is supposed to be dark and unsettling. I would nope the hell out of that but it certainly adds... er... colour to the world I guess?

It's probably the best move that they can make regarding that, though I hope they do or have removed the content in question and rerelease it because it took so long to make.

As for the lizard people thing, it's definitely unsettling for a Fallout game/mod, but banging a ghoul cowgirl or a handjob robot is in base Fallout New Vegas, so even the game itself is out there in terms of that. Pedo shit is way too far, though, fuck that.