Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

Welcome back Doomworld!

8 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Some Neanderthal was chewing on the wires again.

And they may be back at it.

Is DW crawling for anyone else too?

13 minutes ago, seed said:

And they may be back at it.

Is DW crawling for anyone else too?

Yep, it's been this way all day

10 hours ago, Stahp said:

Wait, what happened? From the posts that i read out of context the only thing i can imagine someone hacked into the server and DDoS'd the members?

Sorta. DDoS attacks are against the server. They pretty much spam the server with requests (imagine refreshing the page a million times a second). This will slow the server to a crawl or crash it. However, user data is safe in these attacks and it is just an inconvenience.

Usually people do it to businesses, banks or government service so people loose profit / it causes panic and Am really unsure why anyone would do it to Doomworld as they gain literally nothing except maybe a lol (which seems to be the case here).

Overwhelming the server with a DDoS attack has definitely slown DW down pretty damn good so it's going to take a while to recover. We'll just have to make do with the site not performing optimally for a little bit, but it's better than it remaining down completely. It should bounce back properly in due time.

Does this have anything to do with the failed login attempt emails I got?  I'm not too worried about unauthorized access to my account because I don't use the same password anywhere else, but those emails were still spooky to get.

14 hours ago, Annunakitty said:

Does this have anything to do with the failed login attempt emails I got?  I'm not too worried about unauthorized access to my account because I don't use the same password anywhere else, but those emails were still spooky to get.

Yes.

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw that error! I seriously wondered if things were just wonky on my end, apparently not. Glad the forum was able to get back up though!