Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashurion Neonix

Any good uses for the ambush (deaf) flag?

For those who don't already know, the ambush flag will disable a thing's ability to hear and will increase it's view from 180 degrees to 360. If you want a deaf enemy you could just have a sound blocking linedef so you wouldn't have to worry about it seeing you from behind. I was just wondering what the point of the ambush flag was and if there were any creative things you could do with it.

19 hours ago, Ashurion Neonix said:

For those who don't already know, the ambush flag will disable a thing's ability to hear and will increase it's view from 180 degrees to 360. If you want a deaf enemy you could just have a sound blocking linedef so you wouldn't have to worry about it seeing you from behind. I was just wondering what the point of the ambush flag was and if there were any creative things you could do with it.

That's not what it does.

Ambush monsters will have the 180 degree view other monsters have. When they HEAR you they will change to a 360 degree view and wait until they see you.

You can sneak up on ambush monsters if they haven't heard you.

Reference to back up my claims: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Monster_behavior

Just to clarify, most maps absolutely depend on deaf/ambush monsters. They’d just wake up and wander to weird positions where they weren’t much of a threat well before you even saw them without this flag!

It should also be noted that sound will not be muted until it passes the second blocks sound line. This allows you to differentiate the map into regions where shots still will be heard in nearby areas but not areas far away. This is why @ViolentBeetle talks about two lines. These lines would potentially bulk up the blockmap and data structures in general.