Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What are the Quake mission packs and are they worth getting?

We can't talk about Quake Add-ons and not talk about this utter dogshit absolute masterpiece by the worst PC publisher of the 90's/2000's absolute geniuses at Head Games.

Figured I'd ask here, but is the Dimension of the Past mission pack worth playing? I noticed it's a free, semi-official pack from 2016.

2 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Figured I'd ask here, but is the Dimension of the Past mission pack worth playing? I noticed it's a free, semi-official pack from 2016.

Sure! Like you said, it is free and developed by professional developers (namely MachineGames'), so there is no reason not to play it.

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

Sure! Like you said, it is free and developed by professional developers (namely MachineGames'), so there is no reason not to play it.

I'm guessing it works just fine with Quakespasm, then?

I'd say roughly 97% of all Quake maps are compatible with Quakespasm, and DOPA is no exception. It's a great episode and a step above the mission packs. 

5 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

I'd say roughly 97% of all Quake maps are compatible with Quakespasm, and DOPA is no exception. It's a great episode and a step above the mission packs. 

True, and that makes sense especially for official maps. All I need is Dissolution of Eternity now to complete the Quake 1 mission pack collection, and then to eventually get the Quake 2 packs (maybe including the Netpack, if that's still relevant).

54 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

a step above the mission packs. 

I will have to disagree with that, as it only features vanilla assets - for better or worse.

<removed 'Quake Mission Pack: Abyss of Pandemonium' link, as site had pirated stuff on it>

Seems Quake has some unofficial expansions too. Any others out there? I know a lot of these are bad, but I cant help enjoying collecting them and playing them. I even have Starcraft's two unofficial expansions :D

Edited by Devalaous

AoP is pretty hard to find, if you want to get it physical. There were Shrak, which i didn't find very memorable, and Malice, a total conversion, which i had some fun with.

Oh, and there was Aftershock, from Head Games, the guys who released that Juggernaut for Quake II, but this is even more forgettable.

10 hours ago, cybdmn said:

AoP is pretty hard to find, if you want to get it physical. There were Shrak, which i didn't find very memorable, and Malice, a total conversion, which i had some fun with.

Oh, and there was Aftershock, from Head Games, the guys who released that Juggernaut for Quake II, but this is even more forgettable.

AoP is apparently on ModDB, but I'm not sure about those other ones.

15 hours ago, cybdmn said:

Thanks, maybe one day they will join my collection

7 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

AoP is apparently on ModDB, but I'm not sure about those other ones.

I know, there was one of the original developers involved in releasing it there, as far as i remember, but that doesn't mean that it is legal. Whatever, i talked about getting a physical copy. Those are rare, they were hard to find even ten or fifteen years ago.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:00 AM, DavetheDoomguy said:

and then to eventually get the Quake 2 packs (maybe including the Netpack, if that's still relevant).

The Quake II Netpack is just a collection of selected free multiplayer mods.