Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ABRACADABRA

Sad news on new unreleased content

This really is a shame.  It is unlikely the unused content would be used in an official release anyway.  There is no good reason for something special like that to not be perserved and or used in some way.

Edited by CacoDoomer

1 hour ago, ABRACADABRA said:

this is from today's discord discussion

image.png.f84aa202d775d1d574fdbc8cd565f33c.png

image.png.6caa87ffeb31fcf16dc4bc727c072552.png

apparently now we are on our own

JR can't release more stuff...but what about talking about it or at least giving an idea of what it could be? if it's possible of course

Oh well. It's probably for the best, anyway.

58 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Lol I'm not surprised that Id doesn't care about the future of Doom community

Sounds like a huge bag of bollocks. I have faith in the future of the community.

That's disappointing. Hopefully the attack lawyers can be called off at some point, so that further pieces of gaming history can be brought to public view.

It is a shame, but then again is there really anything left for us to see? Apart from prototypes later than the Press Release Beta of course.

2 hours ago, Hekksy said:

To be fair John probably shouldn't have been releasing what isn't his intellectual property anyway and it was risky for him to do so. I am grateful for what he has given us. We as a Doom community have probably gotten more behind-the-scenes treasures than any other video game in history.

I'd like to disagree, the Sonic community probably has the most of behind-the-scenes content (Especially in regards to Sonic 2, considering we have 10 prototypes spanning almost the entire development cycle. Sonic CD also has a lot of prototypes released.)

Awww, that's a shame. I don't really understand why they wouldn't let him, I mean do they plan to use it, or will it just sit on a backup drive somewhere collecting digital dust? Whilst this is sad and definitely sucks, it's not his fault he can't release it. There's probably some technical legal issues, but I mean.... if it's not gonna have any official use, I don't see why they are holding back. Makes me think of all the hoarders who won't share lost media they find. 

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

I mean, the community keeps Doom alive for 27 years and the fathers of Doom created your fcking company. Why would you prevent them to share 100% unprofitable things you would never give a fuck about if they haven't been released? It's such a childish decision from id, maybe from bethesda.

Corporations...

*rolls eyes*

2 hours ago, Job said:

The presumed behavior by id towards JR's releases is kind of like a kid whose friend found an old toy he forgot about. The kid doesn't care about it until someone else shows interest in it. You know they don't care about it because one of the wheels is busted off and was cast away like trash. 

This is more or less the case for the Duke 3D betas with Gearbox.

There's no plans to do anything with it -- but god forbid someone leaks the stuff, then there will be hell to pay.

31 minutes ago, Master O said:

Corporations...

*rolls eyes*

That is why I cringe at Doom 2016/Doom Eternal's lampshading of corporate hypocrisy; clearly, Id Software is not above this shit themselves.

This smells more like Bethesda lawyers getting their dirty fingers into the matter. I doubt id themselves would have a problem with this.

You could say Romero should have worked with them the first time he released the stuff, similar to how Rebecca Heinemann apparently did for the 3DO stuff, but now, it's too late.

Enjoy it while it lasts, better than not getting anything at all, but it will have to suffice now, the ship has sailed.

It's definitely dissapointing but not surprising in the slightest. id isn't run by a group of like 5-6 friends anymore, it's a large game studio consisting of over 200 employees and that was just in 2012, who knows how many more they have now. On top of that they are owned by a large company that owns several other game studios including Bethesda, and I doubt ZeniMax could give less of a shit about the fans of any of the games made by the studios they own, including id Software and Doom.

In fact even if every single person working at id straight up wanted all that unreleased classic Doom content to be released, I doubt that they would be able to do much to stop ZeniMax from preventing them

3 hours ago, dmslr said:

I mean, the community keeps Doom alive for 27 years and the fathers of Doom created your fcking company. Why would you prevent them to share 100% unprofitable things you would never give a fuck about if they haven't been released? It's such a childish decision from id, maybe from bethesda.

Managers in big Companies are afraid of loosing Control over the IPs of the Company.

If it is for free out there somebody could use it in a Way that they'll lose Money (at least in their Paranoia).
They are in first Place learned Economics, there for managing Processes, People and Money.
Bad Managers tend to take IPs on the short Line and to cut Processes here and there to make Money in a short Time (not long).
They have no Feel for Communities, there are only Customers.

Edit;
Sounds a bit crazy, but maybe over Time with Microsoft in the Back now, they'll change their Mind and give Stuff out.

8 minutes ago, inkoalawetrust said:

and I doubt ZeniMax could give less of a shit about the fans of any of the games made by the studios they own, including id Software and Doom.

Nah they honestly do, otherwise we would have seen a lot more cynicism manifesting in every decision and not just issues with unreleased Doom content.

This is actually being nice compared to other companies. If it was another publisher, chances are, their lawyers would have preferred filing a lawsuit along with a Cease & Desist immediately after the fact, instead of a "Hey, um. Listen, about what you just did, please don't do it again, alright? We're not happy with it. Thanks."