Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zylinderkatze

URE2020: What's one more month after 25 years? [DOOM 1 Vanilla - NOW LIVE]

On 2/18/2021 at 10:03 PM, Lippeth said:

I've compiled all the completed songs into a wad file to be loaded after the main PWAD, and would love to get some feedback on how it's sounding so far/what can be done to make it better.

People of DOOMWORLD! (hmm.. the doomworld?)

PEOPLE OF THE DOOMWORLD!

Listen to this deliciousness! This MIDI goodness! If you needed a reason to pick up these maps- or pick them up again- this is it. 

Check out @Lippeth's auditory gifts and experience their intricate interplay with the levels I provided.

You think I'm exaggerating or fluffing this up but seriously his stuff is really, really good.

The only reason I'd possibly accept for you to not pick this MIDI pack up right now is, if you want to wait until all songs are done.

But look, man.. seriously. What do you have to lose? It's free! Just try a.. uh.. little bit..

..wait no.. now I sound way too much like a caricature of a drug dealer.

Listen. I'm not your mom. I'm not going to tell you what to do.

But seriously. Try those tracks. Right now.

Sincerely,

Your Mom

Zylinderkatze

15 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

PEOPLE OF THE DOOMWORLD!

Listen to this deliciousness! This MIDI goodness! If you needed a reason to pick up these maps- or pick them up again- this is it. 

Check out @Lippeth's auditory gifts and experience their intricate interplay with the levels I provided.

You think I'm exaggerating or fluffing this up but seriously his stuff is really, really good.

The only reason I'd possibly accept for you to not pick this MIDI pack up right now is, if you want to wait until all songs are done.

But look, man.. seriously. What do you have to lose? It's free! Just try a.. uh.. little bit..

Sincerely,

Your Mom

Zylinderkatze

Oy! i was waiting for the whole experience, but since i will not probaly found the secret map i will try this in advance :D

15 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

PEOPLE OF THE DOOMWORLD!

Sincerely,

Your Mom

Zylinderkatze

Yes mother Zylinderkatze! I'll eat up my crack broccoli midis! No need to bring out the rolling pin cane SSG!

7 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Mmm.. crack broccoli midis.

Crack and Doom midis might be the only things in the cosmos that might make that foul vegetable edible. Why it is that the most healthy foods always taste the worst is a mystery for the ages. Reality can be perverse in that way, unfortunately.

Oh no, the Zylinderkatze ramble virus is catching! Heeelp! Stop me before I heap a fantasy tome's worth of praise and freudian analysis onto No End In Sight! AGAIN!

now there is a hard choice: either stand still and listen to the music, or play the maps. because by brain is very bad at multithreading, and it allocates zero resources to music listening when i'm playing...

oh, i have an idea! -nomonsters will turn it into walking simulator, with beautiful music.

Thanks for the support, all! Do let me know if anything sits weird with any of the maps. This is just my personal interpretation of what the maps should sound like, but I hope it's enjoyable and helps to enhance the experience of these already stellar maps. I'm having a lot of fun playing them while thinking of ideas and testing out songs; these maps have great replayability, and it's a fun challenge to capture several different visual themes with one looping song. Enjoy!

An udate? On this thread?

I know it's only been a month since I started this thread but I suppose that actually makes it appropriate, keeping with the "what's one more month" theme.. 

I am planning to close this thread in 2 weeks from now (mid-March) to finalize everything and prepare it for release.

I will still look into the open bugs / suggestions for E1M2 as mentioned before (the ones added to the first post).

Are you excited? I am. Well- actually right now I am a little tired. But underneith that I'm excited xD

1 minute ago, Zylinderkatze said:

An udate? On this thread?

I know it's only been a month since I started this thread but I suppose that actually makes it appropriate, keeping with the "what's one more month" theme.. 

I am planning to close this thread in 2 weeks from now (mid-March) to finalize everything and prepare it for release.

I will still look into the open bugs / suggestions for E1M2 as mentioned before (the ones added to the first post).

Are you excited? I am. Well- actually right now I am a little tired. But underneith that I'm excited xD

Hell, I better get a high powered move on and finish my run of URE2020 before the deadline's up! I will try to give feedback on all maps before then :)

10 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

deadline

I am not a fan of pushing people, especially when it's something like this: A personal project where no one is getting paid for anything (I hope that doesn't destroy any illusions xD) ..I mean- it's all kind of inconsequential, I suppose? But I also don't want this thing to sit around and collect dust ^^

I've been kind of "in limbo" and slow with updates on this thread as well as the URE2021 one.. but I'm actually working on that one as I write this (or.. well.. I did work on it before I started writing this.. and am planning to get back to it afterwards ^^) ..so maybe being able to focus on one thing at a time will improve my focus.

Or maybe I'm just a little lazy right now xD

..but yes, fire up your playthrough engine! I am very curious about your input!

Just now, Zylinderkatze said:

I am not a fan of pushing people, especially when it's something like this: A personal project where no one is getting paid for anything (I hope that doesn't destroy any illusions xD) ..I mean- it's all kind of inconsequential, I suppose? But I also don't want this thing to sit around and collect dust ^^

I've been kind of "in limbo" and slow with updates on this thread as well as the URE2021 one.. but I'm actually working on that one as I write this (or.. well.. I did work on it before I started writing this.. and am planning to get back to it afterwards ^^) ..so maybe being able to focus on one thing at a time will improve my focus.

Or maybe I'm just a little lazy right now xD

I need a kick in the rear every now and again, otherwise I just waste all my free time on useless crap. So fret not!

Right, so I finally got around to playing E1M3 and E1M4. Buckle up, 'cause I have a lot to say!

First off, I'll be blunt: I don't really get E1M3. The combination of obtuse progression, extreme resource deprivation and lack of recognizable landmarks made it a rather annoying experience. I found next to none of the secrets, and barely managed to scrape through to the exit. Personally, I think it is the shortage of ammunition that really drags down the experience. If I wasn't having to constantly dodge fireballs and fret about my health, maybe I'd pay more attention to the environment.

That brings me to the second point: this map mostly lacks the intimate detailing that made the first two so interesting. It feels a little too close to its '90s roots in that way. On the bright side, I did not find a single bug in my playthrough. Everything seemed to work as intended.

Perhaps someday I'll return to this map, and come to appreciate it for what it is. For now, though, I'd have to call it a bit of a dud.

E1M4 is a different story, however. I spent forty-five minutes exploring this one, slowly piecing together an understanding of the map's intricacies. The whole thing feels like a puzzle box, filled with clever little ideas and areas. While lacking the downright autistic level of detailing found in E1M2, the map is still definitely attractive and distinct, with strong sense of place.

I found the map easy to understand on a macro level, due to the large number of highly recognizable landmarks. I like how the map is divided into a pair of large, open hubs, with a pair of claustrophobic puzzle areas spun off of each.

The two eastern puzzle areas were the most visually impressive, with intricate detailing and bizarre, alien layouts, appropriately hellish, while the western ones were generally more straightforward, though still intriguing.

I am glad to say I managed to 100% this map, even if it took an additional twenty minutes to find every last secret. I also appreciate the variety of non-secret puzzles scattered about the map, encouraging the player to pay close attention to their environment.

This map would have been a great deal more annoying if the resource balance had been just a bit more on the scarce side. Most of the time, there was just enough ammo to get by, so long as I prioritized my targets carefully. This, I think, is the ideal balance for exploration-focused maps like this.

Amazingly, despite the immense complexity of the map's sector machinery, I did not find a single bug in my playthrough. Really, the only issue I have with this map is the lack of a return teleporter in the exit area (had to idclip outta there). That's probably the one case where URE could do with a bit of modern QoL adjustment.

All in all, I was thoroughly engaged by this map. It was an interesting and unique experience, one that I will certainly remember going forward.

Four down, five to go!

2 hours ago, Omniarch said:

I found next to none of the secrets, and barely managed to scrape through to the exit.

What's funny with my first few attempts with E1M3, is that I found most of the secrets but couldn't seem to find any of the keys. It was like everything I thought was the way out was another secret. I did play these maps out of order though, and E1M3 was the first one I played to completion, and the logic of the map actually helped me get acclimated to the other maps. But I still have that tendency to find secrets instead of the way out. Great secrets though!

An update on my MIDI pack: Only one song to go, and it seems I've hit a wall. After a week and a half of beating my head against the keyboard and about five half-finished MIDI tracks that don't seem to capture the right mood, I had to just walk away and wait for the right mood to strike. I anticipate no longer than another week, but I just don't want to think about it right now. I considered asking the MIDTWID team if I could just use my latest submission for this as well because it does seem to fit, but that's just taking the easy way out and I want to write a completely original piece and have no overlap with projects. I'm not a very prolific producer in general, so the fact that I've done 10 songs in two months while also doing songs for another project has completely sapped me, as proud as I am to have done so much in the time frame.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me; it'll be done very soon!

On 1/31/2021 at 7:18 PM, Zylinderkatze said:

E1M2:

- missing hint on how to open the access to secret in harbor area (sector 4) - add hint

- superfluous / hardly useful invisibility powerup in outside area (sector 1296) - "improve or remove"

- insufficient / missing hint on the solution to the "last bend" trap - add better hint

1) Here's the updates sector 4 hint:

e1m2-s4hint.png

(the GR trigger is only on the broken-looking bits of the STARGR2 texture)

2) The useless invisibility sphere (and its sector) have been removed

3) And here's the updated hinting on how there might be something here:

e1m2-bend.png

Hint 1: the indented bit on the left, Hint 2: the "edge" on the right

Here's a better look at the edge on the right (which is the door you can find to make the last part easier)

e1m2-bend2.png

It's still very subtle.. but!

..I am thinking that the player will be more inclined to check this side if they see that there's that indentation on the other side. 

I am not updating the URE WAD file / download link yet, I just wanted to post this update.

Any thoughts on the "edge" being too subtle? I am this close to just putting some sort of connector-looking thing on the floor to go from the indentation on the left to the door on the right.. but then that might be too obvious? I dunno. It's not a mandatory area to find (it only makes the last section a LOT easier).

Also, I realized that a few floor and ceiling flats didn't fit anymore because I had moved the whole last structure a bit in a recent update.. I fixed that, as well ^^;

I'll test this some more tomorrow, then I'll update the download link :)

Goodnight!

I haven't been feeling particularly "doomy" during the past 3 days (until today) so I totally missed these comments! Ahh! Sorry!

No sleep for me yet xD

On 3/3/2021 at 9:16 PM, Omniarch said:

It feels a little too close to its '90s roots in that way.

Agreed. E1M3 is the map that only changed in a few details (as in, literally the detailing but also some texture alignments and replacements) and only the area with the yellow key really changed. I think it's the closest to a "90's map", in general.

The reason for that is that I was already pretty satisfied with it in 199X. Part of the reason for that is that this is one of the "dream maps" that I put into reality.. meaning maps that I dreamt about and then quickly scribbled down the next morning, while it was still fresh in my mind ^^; It is definitely not an exploration map, like the others.. and because I dreamt the whole progression through it, hardly any of it is optional. The only thing I changed about that is that you only need the red or the blue key to finish the map (where before you needed both) and you don't need the yellow key at all (unless you want to access the secret area). I am sorry to let you down with this map, Omniarch! I believe the others will be more to your liking, though.

There is a decent amount of ammo in the map but it's absolutely not just laying around.. a lot of it is in secret (or at least optional) areas.. and at a few times it is scarce on purpose. You can find a Chaingun and a Rocket Launcher (and even the Plasma Gun) in this map but some parts of the map are a bit too tough without at least the Chaingun.

So yeah.. I can perfectly understand that you were "unpositively" surprised by it.

I'm glad you liked E1M4, though!

On 3/3/2021 at 11:48 PM, Lippeth said:

I had to just walk away and wait for the right mood to strike. I anticipate no longer than another week, but I just don't want to think about it right now.

Dude.. don't stress yourself. As you can see, I have been away for a few days as well- maybe it's just a "low inspiration phase" right now.

No one will throw stuff at you if you take a few more days because you need them (or for whatever reason, really)

And your output is always worth the wait, from what I've seen / heard :)

We'll get through this together :D

Now I really must go to bed though.

Goodnight again!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

What did you expect?

Of course I added the hint on the floor to connect the inset / outcrop on the left with the hidden door on the right (not so hidden anymore)

e1m2-bend3.png

If you still miss that there might be something going on, I can't help you.

And of course on my last "runthrough" before packing it all into revision 3, I found a little bug with the compexity of that "burining, broken room" in E1M5..

e1m5-bug.png

..and fixed it.

And while I was at it, I decided to also finally make the flames "pop" a little more.. 

e1m5-pop.png

(i.e. add rooms behind the stones with a higher light level)

..but that's still going on.

e1m5-poop.png

(the other side is still the old light level)

Also, that light now flickers randomly (for a more flame-like feeling™).. but I haven't tested that in game yet. It might flicker a little too randomly because it's several smaller sectors. But who knows!

*shrugs*

Another update?

Yes. Yes another update. 

E1M5 is now "clean".. the light flickering (see previous post) looks pretty neat now that I merged a few of the sectors where possible.. it turned out nice, I think. I added a few sound tunnel / joined sector sound propagation bit in the first big room / arena.. and also a way to move the blocking segment back down later on in case you should get some enemies stuck on the other side (so you can get a 100% rating, even if that happens).

No pictures. Sorry ^^;

I am not on E1M6, I forgot that there was a little bit of missing clarity (shootable walls not "looking" shootable) and a way to lock yourself out if you walk back when a blocking sector is raised (at the fork in the road situation). I fixed the "shootable" issue with some inviting barrels (lazy fix, I know.. I might still change that) and I am now working on finding a feasible way to offer the player a way to lower the blocker again in case they get stuck on the wrong side of it.

Probably something with a switch getting revealed that allows to briefly lower that block again with a lift action. I just need to find a nice way to present that :)

Still no pictures. 

Okay, okay.. here's a picture.

caco.png

Happy now?

Edited by Zylinderkatze

2 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Happy now?

yes. pictures is the only thing i'm... ahem... reading anyway. no pictures == empty post, come along, nothing to see here.

p.s.: soooo cute!!!

I think this is it..?

So I spent a bunch of slightly frustrated hours yesterday and today to update / improve a broken wall in the last area of E1M8 (yes, I'm on the last map!).

This is what it used to look like:

e1m8-wall1.png

Yeah it looks broken okay, sure.. but the textures are all over the place.

This is what it looks like now:

e1m8-wall2.png

I guess the textures now align with the edges better..?

Thing is.. I'm not sure whether it looks better. It's.. kind of "better" where craftsmanship goes, I suppose- all the broken off parts look like actual individual stones and whatnot. But it doesn't really feel better.

Before, it kind of looked more distressed, more randomly pushed around.

Now it is a bit too "cold", I suppose?

Thing is, I am already pushing the limits.

e1m8-heat.png

The broken wall is in the upper left. "Max exposure" in the lower right.

It wasn't much better in the previous version where "limit woes" go.. it pretty much stayed the same, actually.

Meh.

I think I'll go back in and try to find a middle ground between the old and the new ^^;

But that's your update for now!

Guys? ..guys!

I just got to listen to Lippeth's latest WIP and it is delicious!

Seriously you're all in for a treat with all of his tracks. I'm stoked!

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

One more detail~

Along with fixing that "broken wall" thing as mentioned in the last post, I also did one of those "last adjustments to textures that don't look quite neat enough".

Going from this:

e1m8-bricks1.png

Oh.. who's your mason? ó_ò

..to this:

e1m8-bricks2.png

Oh! Who's your mason! O_O

It's one of those things that people probably don't even notice (consciously)- or care about.. but I do ^^;

˙uɯnloɔ lɐʇǝɯ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌoqɐ sʞɔᴉɹq ǝɥʇ ɟo ʇuǝɯuƃᴉlɐ ǝɥʇ ʇsnɾ s,ʇᴉ -ʇᴉ puᴉɟ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ llᴉʇs ǝɹ,noʎ ɟI

I suppose it barely warrants another post but I also wanted to take the opportunity to say that I am now taking a last stroll through E1M9.

Then I'll be.. done.. and- potentially- wait for some last thoughts from those who are still playing through the maps right now, before I pack up the new ones.. hmm.. probably some time during the week.

You'll see :)

Edited by Zylinderkatze

I've finally, finally finished my second run through E1M9, and I must say it has been my favourite map so far after E1M2. I have my issues with it (which I will get into later), but overall Transmitter is an amazing adventure, exactly what I have come to expect from you :)

While lacking the overwhelming sense of place that makes E1M2 so special, this map makes up for this by taking the player through a wider variety of spaces, each visually distinctive with their own puzzles to solve.

The opening area is the simplest (to my knowledge, given that I only got 6/8 secrets), and also the most similar to E1M2. The dark, toxic maze area could so easily have become annoying, but its limited length, abundance of radsuits and interesting puzzles minimize any sense of frustration.

The brown techbase area in the middle seems more like an in-between space than an actual 'area', so I'll forgive its lack of puzzles or visual flair. The half-ruined hell keep area after it, though, is probably my favourite in the map, containing two satisfying puzzles and a lot of small visual touches.

The small computer area has some of the best texture work in the entire map, though is a little light on content. The large outdoor area is hugely impressive given the vanilla limitations, and demonstrates your flair for creating naturalistic features with SP_ROCK.

The final area is grand and imposing relative to most of the structures so far in URR, and contains some of the heaviest fighting in the level, though this isn't saying much.

Resource balancing overall is pretty fair, though only if the player bothers to acquire the Plasma and RL from the nukage area. Combat encounters tend to be a little on the grindy side, but not enough so to drag the experience down.

Now, before I get onto my criticisms, I found a minor bug that has the potential to soft-lock the player. If the player uses line 9371 after using line 258 and then enters the eastern building, there is no way to open the doors again since line 258 is a type 103 rather than a 61.

Apart from that, my problems with the map are as follows:

The barons that ambush the player when taking the sector 754 lift are wholly unnecessary, a headache to kill for completionists and a real pest for everyone else. I'd suggest removing them entirely.

The sector 2128 lift is also a colossal pain in the arse, especially if you are trying to grab the sector 104 secret. It is so damn slow, and there are few things in Doom more annoying than slow-ass lifts. I understand that it is probably something to do with the vanilla limits (I'm not sure, though), but surely there is a better solution.

Another more minor criticism is that the map can be a little obtuse at times, though I don't think issue is soluble, given the nature of the experience. A good example would be line 428, which could probably use a bit more telegraphing.

Other than the above, I have not complaints. As usual, the detailing is superb, and the atmosphere strong as ever. I'll definitely be returning to this one in the future :)

I just got to listen to Lippeth's latest WIP and it is delicious!

and i just added in-game SF2 selector, so i'll be able to select some shitty soundfond and then complain that the music sounds all wrong. just in time!

It's one of those things that people probably don't even notice (consciously)- or care about.. but I do ^^;

those two rockets look like horns sticking from the ground. i wonder what kind of demon is hiding there.

5 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Other than the above, I have not complaints.

Thank you for the thorough testing- the praise AND the criticism. I will definitely look into all the things you mentioned.. thank you for taking the time to actually pinpoint the lines and sectors by number! 

I'll be back with more in-depth explanations (and possibly also solutions to your suggested problems) in a coming post ^^;

I found a minor bug that has the potential to soft-lock the player. If the player uses line 9371 after using line 258 and then enters the eastern building, there is no way to open the doors again since line 258 is a type 103 rather than a 61.

Good find! Actually that is a bug I already solved, though xD I believe @wrkq deserves the credit of finding it before you did (and both of you, before I ever would have).

In the current version, there is a small sector next to the door (on the other side of the console) that also opens when line 258 is triggered.

Here.. I'll show you instead of talking about it:

e1m9-softlock.png

The "door" covering it is opened by line 258.

You might have an outdated version of the map.. I think it was fixed in Revision 2 :)

Now on to your gripes:

The barons that ambush the player when taking the sector 754 lift are wholly unnecessary, a headache to kill for completionists and a real pest for everyone else. I'd suggest removing them entirely.

The sector 2128 lift is also a colossal pain in the arse, especially if you are trying to grab the sector 104 secret. It is so damn slow, and there are few things in Doom more annoying than slow-ass lifts. I understand that it is probably something to do with the vanilla limits (I'm not sure, though), but surely there is a better solution.

Yeah.. these are both "setpieces" that are a little too heavy on the "look what I can do" without really considering whether they would be fun to play. Both of them are "slow lifts" of sorts.

The first is a "floor to lowest ceiling" action (64) to create the impression of a slow freight elevator.. while being ambushed from both sides. There is a way to kill them while you're still on the ground level, though.. but I know what you mean.. they aren't fun, they are bullies. On lowest difficulty they're just imps. But that doesn't really make it much better. 

I think my initial thought for that slow lift was for it to be even bigger, giving you more room to fight them.. hm. I'll mull this over in my head for a while and see if I can make it a more fun encounter. 

The second one is a "moving floor" action (53) because I actually wanted it to be a little bit annoying. I'll be honest xD The secret in sector 104 that's only accessible through timing a jump through a door next to this "lift" came as kind of an afterthought and I agree it kind of makes you wonder if it's even worth the effort.

I think I could change that "moving floor" action to a different approach (with a faster lift).. much like the way the access to the plasma gun works. I'll try a few things out and see what works :D

I found that this secret pickup is ideal to get on the way back out, before getting back into that first lift (with the barons).. it makes that fight a little less scary / tedious.

I'm not sure.. I'm kind of "locked in" on the first slow lift.. but I might "fix" the way you encounter opposition on your way. Like I said- I'll give it some thought :D

6 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Another more minor criticism is that the map can be a little obtuse at times, though I don't think issue is soluble, given the nature of the experience. A good example would be line 428, which could probably use a bit more telegraphing.

Yeah.. I was hoping that the glowing red bar on the computer behind it would be enough incentine to interact with it.. I'm not sure how to improve this. Also, I kind of ran out of resources in that area xD 

I'm not sure which version of the map you tried. This is what it looks like, currently:

e1m9-red.png

It glows!

The same texture also blocks your way to the first slow lift, too:

e1m9-block.png

..because it's possible to get back to here without interacting with line 428

Soo..

Watch this space for potential improvements on one or both of those lifts ^^;

12 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

It glows!

I think I probably am using an outdated version, actually. Where can I find the latest release?

6 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

I think I probably am using an outdated version, actually. Where can I find the latest release?

I updated the download link in the starting post of this thread, when it was done.. but I'm not sure whether I pointed that out in a post on the thread when I did ^^;

Sunday.

So yesterday I went through E1M9 and actually found a few misaligned textures(!) while trying to find a solution for the "Barons crowding the lift" (sector 754, as mentioned here) and while solving the "slow maintenance lift" (sector 2128 in the same post by Omniarch). 

I also adjusted a few other little things and even found one almost glaring texture / sector rendering bug (that had existed before, then went away.. and was now back again).. 

My goal was to get everything wrapped up for a "revision 3" yesterday (thinking that it might even be the last xD) and even semi-seriously considering to just make it a final release altogether.

However "making it a release" then got me going off on a tangent of how I want to wrap it up and which stuff to add to the readme, etc.. and then it was suddenly 1:30am ^^;

So.. no upload yet. Depending on how much energy I will have left after that short night and the workday today, I might finish it later today.

No promises xD

11 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

My goal was to get everything wrapped up for a "revision 3" yesterday (thinking that it might even be the last xD) and even semi-seriously considering to just make it a final release altogether.

Oh dear, I've been slacking in my Doom commitments again! I'll try to cover E1M5 and 6 today at the minimum, using the latest revised version of course. I hope to cover the entire set and write my conclusion by Wednesday at the latest. Fingers crossed!