Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Calico v2.0 Released

Please update README.md file in the release archive. It still says:

"Currently only keyboard input is supported; mouse and gamepad support will be added in future versions."

4 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Please update README.md file in the release archive. It still says:

"Currently only keyboard input is supported; mouse and gamepad support will be added in future versions."

Fixed.

I wouldn't have thought the time for a new Calico release would come. Congratulations!

Really awesome to see another release of this! Both Kaiser and Erick194 have told me this port was very important for their Doom 64 Reverse engineering projects. So as a Doom 64 nerd, I thank you for becoming an expert on version of Doom and sharing your knowledge. :)

I remember building it from source and it didn't have mouse support, I'm glad it has it now. This is incredible. Well done Quasar.

Yo, dang, mouse support is real now?

Well I know what I'm doing when I actually wake up. Something nice to randomly wake up to in the middle of the night haha.

Note: there's a bug that can occur if you run calico-config before calico-doom where it will generate an EEPROM file that tries to start the game at MAP00. If this happens, you can delete the eeprom.cal file in the game's save directory and then start the game again and it will regenerate. I've already fixed the problem in the config program's source code and will patch the upload tomorrow.

A new GL renderer? Holy sweet! Release of the month, and we are just starting!

Thanks for your continued efforts, Quasar.

4 hours ago, Quasar said:

Note: there's a bug that can occur if you run calico-config before calico-doom where it will generate an EEPROM file that tries to start the game at MAP00. If this happens, you can delete the eeprom.cal file in the game's save directory and then start the game again and it will regenerate. I've already fixed the problem in the config program's source code and will patch the upload tomorrow.

Fell afoul of this one right away.

As a total newbie to this port, this is the Doom that has the interesting new use of colour right?

22 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Fell afoul of this one right away.

As a total newbie to this port, this is the Doom that has the interesting new use of colour right?

Nope: the ports you're looking are Doom for PSX and Doom 64 for N64.

For Doom64 you can buy the "remake" from Steam.

No I don't mean the coloured lighting of those. One of the earlier ports had an entirely different way of utilising colour and ive yet to see it in action

Jaguar Doom effectively operates in 16-bit color, and is the only official Doom port to do so directly (I think PSX's output is effectively reduced to 16-bit by the GPU, but it's not so much something the programmer has to deal there with as it is on Jag).

Hey this is pretty cool Quasar!

I had to turn the mouse sensitivity up really high, but it's working pretty well so far! ;)

Thanks man!

Oh btw, it kind of threw me for a loop when I saw the chocolate doom configuration in there.

Hey, whatever works! ;)

On 2/5/2021 at 11:48 PM, The Strife Commando said:

Can the PC maps be brought over?

...The whole point of Calico is that it's a backport of Jaguar Doom to PC.

Think about what I just said, and you can answer your own question.

Of course the PC maps can be brought over. You just need to convert them to Jaguar format and insert them in the Jaguar ROM.

Hey! Calico (and its Config) both start with the default settings every time when runned (so, there's always low res and no filtering checked). Seems like CFG can be saved to AppData, but cannot be read. How to fix it?

2 hours ago, mr-around said:

Hey! Calico (and its Config) both start with the default settings every time when runned (so, there's always low res and no filtering checked). Seems like CFG can be saved to AppData, but cannot be read. How to fix it?

That's extremely strange; read and write access should be symmetric to that location. I am honestly at a loss w/o additional information to go off.

18 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

...The whole point of Calico is that it's a backport of Jaguar Doom to PC.

Think about what I just said, and you can answer your own question.

Oh whoops, I thought this was to make the Jaguar version better. My mistake.

Is there a way to map whichever action to whichever gamepad button? For instance, in the configuration, you can't map "speed" to the L-Trigger (which is my default for all DOOM games). Can't seem to force it in the calico.cfg either.

Also, is there a way for the save and cfg file to be saved in the root directory instead of the appdata/roaming folder so it can be portable?