Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2021 - On IdGames!

I have to admit, since I'm just starting mapping, it's almost becoming overwhelming when it comes to making a map. I have one map completely done, and I started working on a second map, but I haven't touched it in a little over a week. I feel like I simultaneously have ideas in my head that I'm not able to perfectly recreate the way I want them in UDB, and not enough ideas so that I'm just freewheeling when it comes to level design. This is also my first Boom map, so I want to try using more features for that and make some voodoo doll conveyor belts and whatnot, but it almost feels like I'm biting off more than I can chew. I know this is probably something a lot of people go through starting out, and that I just need to focus and work on it, and eventually I will get better. I have a bunch of ideas for maps based on song titles, but I want to make some normal levels first. I'm thinking maybe once I'm done with the one I'm on, maybe I'll focus on making some smaller maps (though I don't really think the one I'm making is big)

I guess I do have a question for everyone. When it comes to making a level, how would you describe your process? For my first level I made, I did it a room at time. I would design it, detail it, and populate it, then move on to the next room. The level I'm currently working on I originally started it that way, but now I'm just doing the basic design and some minimal detailing and thing placement that gives the basic idea of how I want the room to be. I kinda just want to get the rough sketch of it out, and then work on the detailing and thing population. 

1 hour ago, TJG1289 said:

... The level I'm currently working on I originally started it that way, but now I'm just doing the basic design and some minimal detailing and thing placement that gives the basic idea of how I want the room to be. I kinda just want to get the rough sketch of it out, and then work on the detailing and thing population. 

Honestly, this is how I would recommend mapping. Get the rough outline out first and then start adding in details and populating Things. I used to do one-room-at-a-time builds as well. The process would result in very long maps and I would often get burnt out because I wouldn't know where I want the map to go or how to end it.

Edited by MDevlin : shortening the world's longest run-on sentence dear god

1 minute ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

Fog- yay or nay?

kmHNh3o.png

Let it in, looks good :)

Have a nice Coffee, eat your Croissant, watch the Sun rise and decimate the Hellspawn.

5 hours ago, iUsuallyDie said:

If I'm using Not Jabba's custom waterfall texture, do I need to rename it? I tried doing that and it stopped it from animating correctly.

Depends on what format you're shooting for: if you're in Boom you'd need to make an ANIMATED lump in SLADE. Vanilla and limit removing leaves you up Shit Creek, but it's not a major deal to just upshift to Boom. The waterfall texture works with the current name because WFALL1-4 are predetermined in Doom 2 despite not being present, but if someone else submits a map using their own waterfall textures under the same name it swiftly becomes a headache.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:15 AM, Obsidian said:

Depends on what format you're shooting for: if you're in Boom you'd need to make an ANIMATED lump in SLADE. Vanilla and limit removing leaves you up Shit Creek, but it's not a major deal to just upshift to Boom. The waterfall texture works with the current name because WFALL1-4 are predetermined in Doom 2 despite not being present, but if someone else submits a map using their own waterfall textures under the same name it swiftly becomes a headache.

I've done it in GZDoom. I'm still a beginner with SLADE stuff so am not entirely sure how to make an ANIMATED lump, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. :)

Edited by iUsuallyDie : Boom is not GZDoom.

This sounds like fun, please put me on the list. I, PeterMoro, pledge to make a most awesome map for this project : P

14 hours ago, iUsuallyDie said:

I'm still a beginner with SLADE stuff so am not entirely sure how to make an ANIMATED lump

I'm also a beginner and I make an ANIMATED lump by stealing it from other wads, remove every texture/flat in it, then I add the resources that I want.
Edit: don't try my way, it will display the ANIMATED lump as an unknown lump (maybe it will work if you keep the last row (the unknown row))
It's not illegal but it's a noob way, I think that Doomwiki has an explanation but I'm not a super nerd and I need alot of time to understand it.

Edited by AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage

8 hours ago, AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage said:

I'm also a beginner and I make an ANIMATED lump by stealing it from other wads, remove every texture/flat in it, then I add the resources that I want.
Edit: don't try my way, it will display the ANIMATED lump as an unknown lump (maybe it will work if you keep the last row (the unknown row))
It's not illegal but it's a noob way, I think that Doomwiki has an explanation but I'm not a super nerd and I need alot of time to understand it.

That's what I do too lol. I don't know any other way to make an animated lump. I don't have that issue with my wad though.

im sorry but im going to have to resign from this. i will definitely play it when it comes out though.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:51 PM, DoctorNuriel said:

Here's my submission!

Noroi ("Curse" in Japanese)

MAP01 replacement for Doom 2

Author: DoctorNuriel

Tested in: GZDoom

Multiplayer support: co-op only

Size: Small

////

Noroi is a small setpiece map inspired by Japanese architecture and folklore! Very basic layout and short playtime (no more than 5min): intended as a simple challenge map for traditional play (no jumping, crouching).

Screenshot_Doom_20210217_182804.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210217_182822.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210217_182834.png

yureimap01_noroi.zip

I've made a small adjustment to the map and I think it's ready for inclusion in the wad now! :) See the attachment. Also I don't have a particular preference in terms of music - Noroi only uses d_runnin here because it's the default, but it could be anything really.

yureimap01_noroi v2.zip

Officially submitting my entry! I included a text file with some information on the map and MIDI.

The WAD itself does contain MAPINFO, DeHackEd, and all the CC4 textures, for the sake of being a standalone release. Feel free to omit these when compiling the final project.

Direct download link: https://doomshack.org/uploads/Demonkind's Dwelling - Dunn %26amp%3B Dunn.zip

Doomworld thread with more info:

Edited by Dunn & Dunn

EDIT: updated version coming soon

EDIT 2: New version available, hope @Obsidian sees this

It's ready!

For GZDoom 4.2.3 or newer, Doom in Hexen format

Uses the Doom2 Iwad, supports singleplayer and coop

Jumping, crouching, and freelook are all allowed, but none required.

Only replaces MAP01, has a MAPINFO lump

Credits and texture info inside wad

Screenshots:

Spoiler

na4k6r9.png

ZkxqmW2.png

zcW6tHz.png

pNBasQB.png

bnNhowp.png

hzd34K8.png

Download: Link New link

Edited by LoneAlpha2401

8 minutes ago, NokturnuS said:

Forget to ask before, does custom PLAYPAL allowed  ?

That would likely mess with other people's submissions, so I'm afraid not.

As for everyone else, I promise I still exist! D: Life's been taking up a lot of my attention, but I'll look over all the new stuff as soon as I can.

4 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

That would likely mess with other people's submissions, so I'm afraid not.

As for everyone else, I promise I still exist! D: Life's been taking up a lot of my attention, but I'll look over all the new stuff as soon as I can.

Oh well, no problem then. Hope Eternity will support true color soon ...

I did remove the PLAYPAL lump from the texture pack I used before beginning. Doesn't make red and blue look the prettiest for some textures but it's fine.

29 minutes ago, Glowylikesdoom said:

is it alright to send wip's of our maps here? like as in a wad file for play testing?

I would say it is.

But maybe open a separat Thread with the Map and link it here.

In that Ways you'll gain Audience that ignores the Posts in the Maximum Thread but plays the single Releases.

So more Playtesters :)