Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2021 - On IdGames!

Flaps

I can't wait for this to come out! uh, this year?

@Obsidian, I was looking at my submission and found a small mistake.  If fixing errors is no longer allowed then you can ignore this.

Download - Hangnail v3

Changes:

- added an additional trigger to prevent seeing into a pop-up trap from the plasma secret
- fixed a few lines I missed on automap cleanup

Just bumping this thread to quickly point out that I'm starting my playthrough of the v0.6 beta (kindly given to me by @Obsidian) for this wad tonight at: https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

I will post the entire list of Youtube VOD's here when the playthrough is finished within the next week or so on my livestream, and I hope to be able to provide some useful feedback!

Edited by Suitepee

Alright here's an update with a few changes, some based on feedback from @Suitepee, others to improve things like monster teleports and the telegraphing of some line actions, now that I've got a bit more experience with stuff like teleporter efficiency.
Tested with dsda-doom 0.24.3
KW-DMP22__Update-091122.zip

Changes:
-improved monster teleport speed.
-removed one of the most threatening chaingunners.
-provided a few more stimpacks in some corners.
-moved berserk and ssg to more sensible locations.
-added proper difficulty changes to most of the monsters.
-removed the crusher effect on the compblue waterfalls.
-made some wall actions more clear, such as the secret, and the starting metal wall.
-lift to return to start swapped in favor of steps to avoid waiting.
-chaingunners at the end now pop out of the slime rather than being alerted for the whole map. (I swear I already made them only appear at the end but I guess not)

BTW, I'm not trying to start drama or pollute this thread, but after playing back the stream to see Suitepee play my map, I would like to ask what exactly is "janky" about my map, apart from the crusher effect and perhaps some aspects of the enemy placement? (cyber and HK snipers, maybe?)
Over the last few months I've learned that sniper enemies are often dispised, but there's not too many in this map and you get enough cell and rocket ammo to melt them fairly quick.)

The crusher effect was 100% intended, the ceiling starts at 32767 height and the lower-unpegged compblue textures scroll down as the crusher lowers, to create a crude approximation of waterfalls, using the only vanilla wall tex that looks anything like water, (although it barely does, rofl.)
This was part of the maps intentionally surreal texturing and atmosphere.
The huge height value is so it takes quite a while before the ceiling becomes visible and ruins the effect.
I tried to lower the rest of the map by another 32767 units so it would take even longer but that made things worse, so I've decided to remove those sectors and just leave the textures static.

As for the enemy placement, it's intended to make the player run for better weapons and/or cover, the idea is to keep the player moving around and force them to prioritize the most dangerous targets, usually it was the chaingunners when I was testing the map earlier this year.
It's somewhat similar to an earlier map in the streams called this place is death, at least just in the sense that you aren't really safe anywhere.

Either way, cheers for testing the map!

Edited by knifeworld : explained the reason for the crusher effect better

On 11/9/2022 at 7:18 AM, Obsidian said:

@Suitepee

I couldn't make the live stream due to work but I just watched the play through of my map - appreciate the feedback Suitepee, and hating on the projectile blocking wall at the start haha! This was my first ever map release so yeah it's not great but I'm happy I got something out! I've been working on my next submission for the DMP2022 and I can confidently say it'll be much better! That invuln sphere was just bad. Bad, bad, bad! Thanks mate.

@Suitepee Thanks for playing through my map. Its a strange one, I know. Still very new to map-making. I just had a bunch of different ideas that I wanted to incorporate and I ended up making something really strange and incoherent.

thing.PNG.e0106b9da8f578480f883de47b1fe3dc.PNG

Something strange happened here where you were able to shoot these viles through the invisible wall. I think it might have been a compatibility issue with GZdoom. All the playtesting I did was with prboom+ and I think that is probably the best way to play this monstrosity of mine.

And that fight is really weird, I know. Trying a little too hard to be interesting. I wanted to make it so that the platforming was optional and if you didn't want to do it, you just had to fight the viles. If you did the platforming, you could crush them easily. But obviously, it wasn't very clear.

Anyway, I did make some changes and I hope that makes it a bit more intuitive. Thank you so much for your input.

new link-https://www.mediafire.com/file/x59ld7sjcdqesvt/omt-updated2.zip/file

Oh yeah, @digithead100, I actually did a couple fixes to your map myself. :P That problem with the Arch-Viles was solved by swapping out the self-referencing sector for a height transfer and I made it so you can't press the switch to escape the office cubicles before raising the stairs by putting some action linedefs around it. Shall I keep my edits or would you prefer I use your update?

It's great seeing this project finally getting a release. :)

Have fun with my map!

Hope everyone enjoys the my map. Lets see how many can spot the difference between DMP version and the Standalone version of Metropolitan Mayhem Machine.

So glad this finally came out. Good work from everyone that helped throw it together.

Though one issue I found in the release build with my map (MAP53) is

Spoiler

that the custom sounds I used (there are 4 custom sounds I used) aren't there. They're completely missing. I was screaming very loud internally thinking I forgot to include them but they just... aren't there in the release build.

I did notice now that since this is a WAD and not a PK3: One of the names of those sounds are longer than 8 characters so I'm sending a new version of the wad with that file renamed. Sorry about that. @Obsidian

OCDv2.zip

Thanks to the both of you for catching those bugs! Turns out the UMAPINFO had a missing quotation mark and the aforementioned sounds must've gotten lost in the compiling process (and the SNDINFO thinking they were still in a folder wasn't helpful either, heh). I've fixed them up and now Beta 1.1 is ready to download.

Or downloab, if that's more your speed.

Howdy Obsidian congrats on the release, I'm hyped as for it 👍
Unfortunately I found a bug, my name is missing an L on the end :)
Russell in the file MAPID50. Cheers!🍻

Hello, I'm playing this wad and this is pretty solid stuff, kudos to the mappers. I'd like to suggest a filler map for map 30, akin to map 01, as the map I'm playing now, "By Inferno's light" breaks while in this slot.

7 hours ago, Hasamnas said:

Hello, I'm playing this wad and this is pretty solid stuff, kudos to the mappers. I'd like to suggest a filler map for map 30, akin to map 01, as the map I'm playing now, "By Inferno's light" breaks while in this slot.

Could you describe the error please? Is it to do with telefragging or does the problem stem from somewhere else?

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Could you describe the error please? Is it to do with telefragging or does the problem stem from somewhere else?

Yeah it's telefragging, should've been more specific.

On 1/1/2022 at 2:16 AM, Valhen said:

Name: Rushed Job.
Format: Boom (Complevel 9, tested with DSDA).

Difficulty Levels: Yes

Coop/Deathmatch: Only other player starts for coop.

Textures used: 32in24-15tex.wad (Not included in the wad), Mechadon's Box of Skies (Plus text created using Doom Text Generator).

Music: music2.mid from the game Astrobatics, originally composed by Vakhtang Adamiya. 

Additional notes: I quickly speedmapped the level this week since I was busy with irl stuff in the last month, hence the name "Rushed Job" :)  

Download link: RushedJob.zip

I made an update to this map a few days ago to fix some visual glitches found on Suitepee's stream but unfortunately I didn't have internet at the time, so I'm uploading it now :)

RushedJobv2.zip