Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Rowdy Rudy's Revenge! & Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP!

Map 03

I had trouble with the progression and not figuring out to go in the slime, despite the map's name. The difficulty went up, although there were enough bullets to handle everything with the new chaingun. Those rocket soldiers are quite the buggers, but it wasn't too difficult overall. I missed both secrets on this one.

(UV, Chocolate Doom, Pistol Start)

Rowdy Rudy's Revenge MAP03 - "The Slime Trail" by Doomkid

Really not a fan of the music in this one, it started getting pretty annoying after a while, but thankfully the map is short.

Like the others I had some trouble figuring out where to go at the start, until I realized that I needed to run down the slime corridor. I guess most players are conditioned not to jump into slime pits without a Radsuit. Due to your lowered HP, the area that follows is also the most dangerous one of the map. With the way the room is laid out, the homing missiles usually don't hit a wall, requiring you to dodge them continuously while fighting the monsters outside -- which incidentally killed me the first time I attempted it. As soon as you get the blue armor, the rest of the map is easy however.

Two new enemies are introduced here, the red chaingunner -- which actually drops his chaingun -- and the rocket marine. The latter is definitely much less of a lethal glass cannon than the Realm667 counterpart, but it seems a bit redundant to have both them and Revenants be in the same map.

I'm sure MtPain27 will enjoy the fake wall secret in this map.

MAP 03: Slime trails

I.. think we need to talk about the elephant in the room...

Another fun techbase map with a few tricks up it's sleeve, namely the introduction of two new enemies. I originally thought the former human with the rocket launcher was the revenant replacement, but the kid had other ideas. The inclusion of BOTH the revenant and his strange wannabe( twice removed) cousin, the rocket launcher zombie, as well as having two types of chaingunner( because one just wasn't enough!). The map also introduces the dual bladed chainsaw and the chaingun, for added measure. The midi for this map is also pretty good.

I'd like a SSG... please....

Silhouettes Stats:

Kills: 100%
secrets: 100%

Deaths: 1( fell into the trap in the mega armor room... embarrassing)

Willingness to shun Kid's WADs should he have more than one Pain Elemental: 110% 

Wondering why people like to replace the cacodemon with something more annoying * glares at Eviternity*: YES

MAP03: I think I'm starting to dig the new textures a bit more. Some nice tricks makes this map a bit more memorable like the leap of faith you have to do to find the BK and the "hidden" red door. The first encounter with the 2 new zombie variants (which are like lite version of the rev and the arachnotron) is quite nasty, putting you in a cramped room after taking the lift where those monsters can have an advantage but the chaingun you can get before is very good to counter them.

ROWDY RUDY'S Revenge! Map03: THE SLIME TRAIL (HARD DIFFICULTY).

Results: Kills:96% Items: 68% Secrets:0%.

Short map, I actually got lost until I hopped into the slime. Here I had my first death by a chaingunner. Some traps, and new enemies (and lost souls).

Good midi, though it gets a litlle repetitive (actually I find it relaxing, I almost fell asleep cuz of the midi, the map is fine XD).

And I still can't find the secrets or the blue door.

Not bad, though it could have been better. I'll give it a 8/10.

short break to play 

MAP03 : Things shoot at me as soon as I step outside the door and I shoot back at them, as best as I can. Entering a side tunnel gets me a rad suit, so I use it to go into the toxic sludge, kill a chaingunner, grab a chaingun, go up a lift, kill imp and lost souls, open door :shoot a lot, enter tunnel, meet first toxic caco! back, down stairs, meet first rpg-zombie, step in sludge to open the walls, kill imps, of both visible and invisible kind, pres switch, grab key :  back up the stairs, open the hidden red door, take a toxic-caco shot to the face, grab blue key and end level unwillingly with 95% kills, 0%secrets and 5m47 seconds.

*reload* grab the blue key, fall down to go to the secret in the sludge, up the lift again, back to start, press the blue key requiring switch, try to discover what have I made, ah, secret soulsphere, nice! grab another suit, back to the sludge and end the level!

1005 K/S/I,  7m17s 0 deaths

MAP03: Expert, pistol start, still saveless (for now), 85/87 kills, 0 secrets

The chainsaw at the start is there for a reason. The burst rifle is serviceable for much of this level, but you can really take advantage of the chainsaw's hunger for meat to make quick work of some of the encounters. The SG ambush was pretty obvious and also low threat, just back out of the room and let infighting save you some shells. Dropping into the poison was a bit of an interesting "mini-challenge" since you want to grab the items and then kill the chaingunner in the pit as quickly as possible. I missed the berserk at the foot of the stairs the first time through, and I completely forgot about the blue key and never realized what it did until I loaded the level up again to see the secrets. The blue armor trap was also pretty obvious, I was able to escape even with the toxic caco popping in behind me. I guess I'm not too bummed Doomkid isn't twisting the screws TOO hard for Map 03 :)

Most of the fighting feels like you are "carving your way" through this base, since most of the fights happen "in front of you". There aren't too many tactical considerations except "kill the guys blocking the path" and not much that really pushes you around, just mostly pushes back. All the ambushes happen at dead ends. I'm also thirsting for some REAL shotgun action by the end of this map.

Design-wise, it's still a fairly typical techbase, but it's charming. Honestly, I've come to appreciate maps that can keep it fairly simple but still manage to be interesting. So far this WAD is more like an hors d'oeuvres tray rather than an entree of Doom maps, and I don't know about you but I can definitely fill up on cocktail sausages and bacon-wrapped jalapenos. Where am I going with this and why am I talking about food? I just mean, these maps are short and to the point - they don't try to do too much, they let the gameplay speak for itself, and they don't bother with wasting your time. In and out, let's see what else you got.

Very much enjoying the WAD so far.

MAP 03: The Slime Trail

Another solid toxic techbase, The Slime Trail hits pretty hard but also introduces the chaingun to your arsenal. You're going to need it for the "tough" chaingunners, surplus toxicacos, revenants, and RPG zombies, which can really ruin your day. Like the rocket soldiers in Lunatic, they fire revenant projectiles. 

I love the Doom 64 chaingun and chainsaw inclusions, the SFX make them feel more powerful than the originals, though I'm pretty sure their properties are unmodified. One thing I'm finding I don't love is how quiet the monster teleport sound is, a toxicaco nearly got me in the nukefall room because I backed into him, not hearing or seeing him apparate behind me. It's a bit like Eternal Doom and THT: Threnody's airy teleport sound, takes some getting used to. 

The thunderous red key fight is easily my favorite so far, just a huge mob of tuned-up zombies, imps, and cultists (who are pretty much there to adorn the floor with their gibs), very fun to tee off on with your newest toy. I like how Doomkid lets you grab the blue key early...I think it opens up a soul sphere secret in the starting room, but I'm not sure.

The more spread-out and populated these maps get, the more fun I find myself having. Let's keep it rolling.

MAP03: The Slime Trail

100% kills, 1/2 secrets

Nice little meta-reference title there. Oh, hi Depeche Mode.

The start of this map has some E1 feel to it, but the rest of the map is pretty linear. Progession is not super-obvious - the slime trench is pretty small and non-obvious, and the red door is textured to look like a regular wall. The small size of the map makes it pretty hard to get lost, though. The blue key use is also a bit non-obvious (the switch isn't labelled, and that computer screen nearby looks like it is!) but it's a secret, so no harm there.

We finally get our hands on a chaingun here, and I basically just used that the entire map as shells are still in short supply, and I didn't find anything to really use the chainsaw on except a cacodemon. The sprite and sound change for the chaingun make it feel really cool, but I think stats-wise it's unchanged? I've decided that the plasma marines feel a bit surplus to me... they have the slow-to-move, slow-to-fire AI of the regular zombies, but replacing the hitscan attack with a slow-moving plasma blast makes them feel less dangerous than the regular zombies. The rocket zombies also feel a bit superfluous with revenants still included.

MAP04 - "The Filter"

This is a decent little map. I like the look of this level, the texture usage kind of makes it look like an underground base. The progression usually happens in the central hub area, where you travel back and forth flipping switches and doing stuff. Then you go through the blue key door and- Oh my sweet holy lord, a fire spitting Cacodemon! It caught me by surprise and made me completely forget about the blue key door, taking a bunch of unnecessary damage. Fortunately I didn't die. After that, you just go through the lift into the last area and exit. Cool stuff.

Spoiler

(Also, unrelated, but I just now realized that the main menu music is a Windows midi. No wonder it sounded so familiar to me :P)

Edited by Valhen

Map03: The Slime Trail
GZDoom | Kills: 100% | Secrets: 50%

As some have noted this map does feel a lot like the first episode of doom 1. Honestly so far the whole wad feels like an alternate universe where doom had a much stronger 80's action focus than a demonic one. Maybe one that looks a bit more like Operation Body Count, but i digress.

Another simple map with interesting progression, this map has some recurring tricks such as rooms with a pillared item and flanking traps of enemies, as well as a rather interesting blue key secret. good use of map space with a semi-natural flow once the player sees the trench (which i thought was a secret at first). Another short and seet map that still retains a little bit of bite (died twice at least).

MAP02-4 - 100% / 100%

Hmmm, these ones feel a little... base-ic (what, you can never be too young for dad jokes! Sue me).

In all seriousness though, these maps feel less like full experiences and more like showcases for the new bestiary and texture-scheme. The layouts are rather basic, even more so than the original IWADs, with little in the way of optional content or challenge. That said, they are undeniably competent and enjoyable to play, there just isn't much to analyse about the maps themselves. The beasties they serve to introduce, however, are a different story.

Altering the original bestiary is a difficult business, especially in vanilla, so it's understandable that so few mappers even try. That said, the addition of custom monsters or weapons is a sure-fire way of drawing this particular moth into the Inferno. Rowdy Rudy originally caught my eye specifically because of the new enemies.

These, I will share my thoughts on, starting with the infantry.

There are two categories of zombies here: re-skins (re-sprites?) and new additions. The Cultist, Shotgunner and Strong Chaingunner all (to my knowledge) perform similarly to their vanilla counterparts mechanically, just with a fresh coat of Rudy-brand paint. The sprites themselves are excellent, presumably sourced from Realm667 (I used to spend a lot of time browsing assets there, and I recognize a few of them), and fit in perfectly with the earthy action movie aesthetic.

The three new additions, the Weak Chaingunner, Plasma Guy and RPG Zombie, all fill distinct niches in the wad's combat style (which I will analyze in a later post). The Weak Chaingunner functions much like the vanilla SS Nazi, laying down suppressing fire without tearing the player to shreds like the regular chaingunner, giving them a wide range of potential uses, which RR certainly takes advantage of. This is probably the biggest gap in the vanilla line-up imo, and one of the most commonly filled by mappers.

The Plasma Guy has a similar function to the Arachnotron, but is vastly more flexible due to its smaller size and lower health. An excellent addition, implemented consistently and thoughtfully so far.

The RPG Zombie is an oddity, using the deadly Revenant fireball but lacking the broad utility of the classic monster. It's main use case seems to be when the mapper needs a tracking missile threat, but the Rev is too powerful for the role, which is fair enough. A nice addition, used well enough so far.

Right, now on to the demons.

Imps and Pinkies have both been given a re-skin, though I have yet to notice any mechanical differences from vanilla. The Shadow Imps (not sure what they are called officially) are a very interesting addition, however, with a variety of potential applications. They seem to be a bit faster than normal Imps, but their main feature is of course their stealth, which forces the player to shoot and move cautiously while still being ready to dodge fireballs at any second. A good addition, well implemented (kill me).

The two monsters that interest me the most, however, are the new flyers, the Toxicaco and the Flame Caco. Flying enemies are relatively rare additions to the Doom bestiary, the most common being the iconic Arachnorb. Personally, I think Cacodemons are among the most useful monsters in the game, just after Imps, Revs and Shotgunners. Their ability to traverse geometry better than any other enemy makes them flexible and challenging opponents. I also unironically enjoy shooting them with rockets, since they are big, slow targets that are nevertheless more difficult to hit that most ground-hogs because of their realistic physics. So, adding variety to the game's paltry selection of fliers is an excellent move.

The Toxicaco is the first of these to be introduced, and essentially acts like a flying Hell Knight, with a wide use-case encompassing many of the Caco and HK's applications, which is evident in the early maps.

The Flame Caco is the most interesting enemy in the wad, and a very original concept. I've always loved the idea of flame-throwers in Doom. The most obvious choice would be to create a Flamer Zombie or Baron (fair enough, I've seen it done well), but mounting the weapon on the flexible and mobile Caco-chassis was a stroke of genius. So far, I've only seen the Flame Caco used in a fairly straightforward fashion, but I foresee many potential applications, especially in the realm of infighting >:D

Well, that turned into a rather lengthy post. Well, I suppose it's three day's worth of text-wall in one, so what ya gonna do. I've taken the liberty to play ahead a bit, and I should have more to say about the maps themselves in the future.

TL;DR, basic but competent maps that serve mainly to introduce the excellent new bestiary.

with another day comes more rudeness.

MAP04 : A shotgunner stands with his back turned on me and a imp shoots from afar. I shotgun the shotgunner (something something poetic justice) and then change into the chaingun to enter the next room, gun blazing, move over to the next room after removing those who would oppose me, call the lift, first switch opens some walls and reveals more targets for my target practice, second switch has no immediately visible effect, so back it is and the blue key is now up for grabs. With it I can enter the blue door, kill the two-legged-spiders, grab a rocket launcher (yesss), enter the lava and 'port to a vantage point from where I can wreck havoc on those annoying imps far away. Some kills after it's switch, soulsphere, and out into the next level.

so that's 0 deaths, 5m10s and 100% everything.

Map04: Filter

I haven't seen a good sewer level since Momento Mori....

A good sewer level is hard to come by. I usually find the texture usage monotonous and the sewer theme to be dull. This map may be an exception. The combat is fun and the layout is coherent, in other words you won't get lost easily. you have a clear objective and know what you have to do. I could say that for all the maps in Rowdy Rudy! so far. The map also introduces a new weapon replacement: the missile launcher. I also discovered that the plasma marine is in fact deadly, and contributed to my first death.

Adding Doomkid to my list of mappers to shill for...

Silhouette's stats:

Kills:100%

Secrets: 100%

Deaths: 1

Wondering when the 90's will be popular again: YES

Wondering whether Nickleback are stuck in the 90's: Yes( Seriously, Their music is worse than some of the more popular artists, and that's saying something)

MAP 04: The Filter

Hm, "The Filter." Maybe that means this map will be a ball buster, 'filtering' out the chaff players--wait, only 57 monsters, never mind. This burnished water treatment facility doesn't go too hard at you after the first minute or so. From pistol start you'll probably be bayonetting soldiers in the back again, and I'm still loving the audible feedback I get from that, by the way.  The RPG troopers are no joke, they take an alarming amount of damage and their missiles are surprisingly sneaky.

The flaming cacodemon scared the crap out of me, he spews fire sort of like the flamethrower from the ZDoom Community Map Project Take 2--luckily I evaded a broiling this time around, but if the toxicacos and fire cacos join forces things could get dicey. I actually managed to find the secret this time, always gotta check the poison. Next map has 180+ monsters, so I'm guessing these first four maps have been something of a tune-up for the incoming main event.

MAP04: I think it was lacking of a truly standout moment. Maybe you can count the fire caco that makes its appearance. All in all is a good enough and ejnoyable level but it's like it falls flat. I liked the moody lighting and the blue/green of the liquinds and the fire torches that gives a nice touch to complement the brown visuals.

ROWDY RUDY'S Revenge! Map04: The Filter (HARD DIFFICULTY)

Results: 100% kills, items & secrets

Not a bad map, I recovered some health and we finally have the rocket launcher (with Brutal Doom's sprite, I like it)

You get a chance to get a sweet mega armor. Good short map, get the Rocket launcher and gain some health. 9/10 (the secret is place in a... Unusual spot)

(UV, Chocolate Doom, Pistol Start)

Rowdy Rudy's Revenge MAP04 - "The Filter" by Doomkid

A small, relatively unremarkable map that didn't give me too much trouble. The Revenant is taking a timeout and is letting the homing missile marines do the work this time.

As there's been a conspicuous lack of Hell Nobles so far, so I'm guessing they may have been replaced by some of the new enemies.

There's a single fire-breathing cacodemon here, the effect is very cool and reminds me of Batman Doom. Definitely the highlight of this map.

Otherwise I don't have much to say for this one.

On a different note, I wonder why "Stalag 3D" from Duke3D was used as the intermission music. Seems rather sinister compared to the mostly upbeat music used in the levels.

Map02: Plasma dudes are cool! Glad they don't spam it like arachno's.

Map03: Where is the other secret? I found the blue key one back at the entrance.

Map01 - 100%K 100%I 100%S

Map02 - 100%K 100%I 100%S

Map03 - 100%K 085%I 050%S

MAP04 - “The Filter”

MbaLctr.png

Nice looking brown base with a bit of that Plutonia-ish vibe going on. Considering the vanilla limitations, this wad has done a good job with its simple but effective visual style. The image above can be said to be a bit heavy on the mono-texturing, but the blues and greens, along with the lights, make it work.

Gameplay is straightforward without any punishing traps. Though ammo is tight early on and you're forced to make your way further into the map to keep on shooting. I am not a huge fan of the armour being in a secret towards the end of the map. There isn't that much health around and I ended up grabbing the armour with 40HP as the slime leading to the teleporter did a number on me. The fire Caco looks pretty cool, and by the text file description I was afraid he'd be shooting some variation of the Mancubus cone attack that some other custom enemies have.

MAP 04: Expert, pistol start, saveless, 100% k/s

• Another bite sized map. I really need to channel some Doomkid energy because every map I attempt to make balloons out of control into some massive endeavor. He certainly has a knack for making maps that are over in a pinch but have a good amount of substance to them regardless.
  • Starting to really appreciate the new monsters. Love that even though the plasma marine (reminds me a little of the invisible alien guys from AA) and rocket guy could be about equally dangerous, their inclusion gives you choices about who you would prioritize, especially if there's some hitscanners in the mix. Maybe you personally do better against one type or the other and make a choice based on that. I still don't find any of them to be that particularly dangerous, but I feel like once we get a real fight where the rug gets pulled out, they'll find a way to mess me up. And even though his debut was a bit tepid, I'm already anticipating that pyro caco being pretty nasty if he catches you off guard.
  • Even though I saw the monster count at the start, I was still surprised to see how short it was. I like that the level was a bit more open. It gives you a nice opportunity to run between the few major rooms though, and rile up some infighting, which I always love

I was very pleased to see 

Spoiler

a box of shells

in this map.

My only regret is that these maps are practically over before they start, and in the interest of keeping a good cadence, I'm only playing one per day. Otherwise I would have crammed this whole thing down by now.

Map04: The Filter
GZDoom | Kills: 100% | Secrets: 100%

not much to say about this map. some find it unremarkable and it is a very simple map, but the detailing is minimalist yet very nice, with the slime-mixed waterfall being a cool little feature but one that looks very stark compared to the general brown. The map is a bit bigger in movable area and makes some decent use of multi-level combat. It also introduces the flame caco which i'm a huge fan of, I love the design and its usage, something that will be a bit apparent in Rowdy Rudy 2. One thing i had wished that the player got a flamethrower like in Extreme doom (i believe) but that would replace the plasma gun, a change many probably wouldn't like so oh well.

overall another fun little map, the slow inclusion of weapons and monsters is well done in the WAD so far, keeping it so each map has some new enemies and toys.

MAP05 - "Forgotten Installation"

A bigger and tougher map compared to the previous ones. There are tons of baddies, and the ammo is sparse. Fortunately, I found the secret berserk, so I saved up some ammo. This is the first level with a plasma rifle in Expert (unless I missed one before), which made up for the lack of bullets at first. The red plasma looked pretty nice too. Anyway, back to talking about the level, I liked the lighting in that one big dark area. The darkness made it kind of difficult to see the enemies, which made the combat more interesting. I also liked how you loop back to the start area to get the red key without backtracking. All in all, good level.

Map 05: forgotten installation

*Wipes sweat from forehead* 

This map is both a step up in difficulty and size. There are a lot more plasma marines and so many cacos. Fortunately, this map also gives you access to the plasma gun(with cool looking red particles), as well as the SSG( finally!) that has no sprite or behavioral changes. Am I disappointed? No, It is the SSG after all, one of the greatest shotguns of all time.

The final area was probably the most lethal, with hitscanners and plasma marines teleporting in left and right and rocket launcher zombies teleporting behind you.

I wonder what 90's Hell is like?

Silhouette's stats:

Kills:100%

secrets: 100%

deaths: 4  

Joy at being reunited with the SSG: 100%( that doesn't make any sense..)

Wondering why the sudden trial by fire: YES

Edited by Silhou3tte

MAP05: The first truly substantial map, and even the difficulty ramps up too. The gameplay is still relatively low key with the weaker monsters that are more prominent but you start to meet a tougher and bigger opposition in the various areas. There are monsters that will teleport in hub areas to repopulate them or to flank the player which was a very nice feature of the map. I appreciated the good ammount of ammo for the PR (hoping that you find it early) without having to rely on the SSG as usual.

let's MAP05! 

I begin outside, kill a couple hoodies, rocket the annoying plasma dudes and enter the door, and I'm still outside. Another door and I'm inside, bunch of imps and lost souls that teleport. Then a few toxicacos and a not so secret backpack, another door, more kills,another door, back outside and then back inside in a rush, too many enemies for my current weapons. Back to the two towers, up the stairs, and yesss, the plasma gun! back outside I go. *opens door* *shoots* oooh, it's red! Kill everything, go inside, oh dear god, finally an SSG! Near dead I go back looking for something to soothe my pain and find a BFG! But no health, so back to the path, plasma in gun and the hopes my rigger is faster than those of my enemies.. And it was proving to be so! Until a toxic caco shoots at me from the back while I dealt with some imps. Back to the start it is.

second try : knowing where the enemies are makes this faster, and less painful. I reach the same outside area at 100% health, still plenty of plasma ammo, and then I fall into the lava : bad right? Not really! The switch for the megasphere secret is there, nice! Now.. Oh, back to start, the bars are down and the door is open! Inside a rev that hits me in the face with a rocket and a baron that teleports away right before I kill him, but also a red key. And then the baron trying to ambush me, silly baron, I have a plasma gun! And the game froze. Dammit. 

third go (I had saved after grabbing the megasphere, luckily) : And then to the red door, a manc! And rocket zombies! And plasma zombies! And I'm dead.

fourth attempt : back to the red door, this time I wont enter until after shooting a couple BFGs into the room! Done, all dead but one enemy and one secret.. hum..Found! And found. Now, to the exit.. Done! 

2 deaths, 12m53s, 100% K/S, 94% items, somehow.

MAP 05: Forgotten Installation

Speaking of forgotten installations...how did and when did UAC Ultra get on my computer? Never mind, bad joke. Doomkid finally turned up the heat in this map, throwing triple digit monsters at you and slapping a plasma rifle in your hands. I'd say don't be afraid to use it, since it feels like you're supposed to be leaning on it, but ammo is really scarce if you're pistol starting (I think that's also by design). I beat this map twice, first time I exited I had nothing but my bayonet, chainsaw, and a lucky rocket. Second time, after actively encouraging infighting and shooting carefully, I had 40 bullets and 17 shells left. 

Two rooms really stuck with me: the dark storage area full of teleporting goons and toxicacos hit me hard on first playthrough because I was being complacent, and the last arena will have you biting your nails down to a nub...those RPG guys are no joke. I'm no longer considering them part of the human class of monsters, they take way too many hits to go down (almost as much as a pinky) and in open spaces they're as deadly as revenants. 

Two other stylistic notes: the revenant's new missile sprite always feels like a curveball for some reason, it wiggles or flickers in a way that's hard to explain but it makes them feel more unpredictable. Also, the plasma gun's firing sound will continue to play if the projectile doesn't immediately hit something, and it's especially audible when you hit a target that's a medium distance away from you; I guess it comes from the Doom 64 plasma rifle shooting slower than Doom 2's. Using it in big firefights, I found myself spinning around, thinking that a plasma marine is right behind me because of the lingering plasma sound. Just something I noticed, it hasn't gotten me killed yet or anything. 

Oh and also, say hello to the super shotgun, which doesn't get a sound replacement because you can't replace perfection. Hell yeah.

ROWDY RUDY'S REVENGE! Map05: Forgotten instalations (HARD Difficulty)

Results: 100% kills, items and 75% secrets

Now we're getting in the danger zone, with a lot of monsters, but you get plenty of health, just know where to look and you'll be fine. Man I must say that the secrets were a complete puzzle to find, at least for me. We get the SSG and the Red Plasma Gun. Nice map, a little more complex and open that the others.

I must say that here's where I took my second death. Because of the hell knight and the toxic cacos. I never thought to check in the slime pit until I realized there was a candle there. The final area can be dangerous if you don't save health, so save a berserk pack just in case. Nice map. 9/10

MAP06 - "Deadly Depression"

"Huh, this map only has 86 monsters? I guess it won't be too bad then." -Me, before dying many times in the yellow key room.

Aside from that, this map is actually kind of tough with the small amount of enemies, the shortage of ammo being the main reason. I had to carefully plan how to attack the enemies so I didn't run out of ammo. Like I said, I died a bunch of times in the yellow key room. The way you loop around the level and return to the start to exit the level was pretty cool. Nice level. I would say more, but Doomworld is slow at the moment and writing using a phone is pain.

Map04 was a nice challenge. I am starting to move around more cautiously, picking off enemies via peeking and sniping. I really really ultra hate the invisible Imps. I might have to move up to 'crispy' rendering. It does create a kind of horror atmosphere, where i have to stand still in order to see their pixels shimmering. By then they are serving me a fireball. Loved the dark area - it wasn't too complicated geometry-wise, and made for nice gameplay when the invisible bastards starting sneaking in once I opened a door.

Could not find a fourth secret on Map05!

K     I     S

Map01 - 100 100 100

Map02 - 100 100 100

Map03 - 100 085 050

Map04 - 100 100 100

Map05 - 100 096 075