Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dyshoria

First doom map

Feels kinda empty but for a first map it's pretty good.You should next time add more decorations and if you doing some open spaces try to fill them with more monsters.

8 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

How not to post a map to Doomworld:

He is new though

18 minutes ago, Henry said:

Feels kinda empty but for a first map it's pretty good.You should next time add more decorations and if you doing some open spaces try to fill them with more monsters. Thank you anyway!

Not much to see. Kinda on the low side for first maps.

Edited by Kore

I mean, its pretty basic, but I think its alright for a first effort in the editor - its definitely more playable than some other 'my first wads' I've played. The icon of sin was an interesting choice - but it was far too easy to kill. Maybe put some randomly raising/lowering shields/platforms in front of it?

Some small things I noticed:

- Doors are VERY thick - you may want to thin them out a bit.

- There is a lot of STARTAN

- I'm not certain there is enough ammo on the map to kill all the Cyberdemons

- Is the first room supposed to hold a pool of water? Or is that just blue carpet? (If its blue carpet, ignore this point) Reason I mention this, is because water textures do exist in Doom/2.

- Rooms are very basic shapes/orthogonal - you should add some variance in room shape to this WAD

I highly recommend you upload some screenshots. People will be a lot more willing to spend their time if they have some semblance of what the level will look like.

Anyway, just wanted to say some small points. Welcome to the community! :)

For your first ever attempt, this is a good start. I think my main issue with the level is that it has a bit of an identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be. You start off in two small cramped rooms, leading into the door with Pinkies behind (that door's delay is extremely short which can make it quite annoying to fight the Pinkies), then into a much more open arena and finally to a Cyberdemon/Icon fight. The IOS was definitely far too easy to kill. I ended up ignoring the Cyberdemons outright because there was no way I could take them on with the amount of ammo provided. I would also advise against using the stealth variants of the enemies. It was slightly annoying for me to have to fight invisible imps in one room and one room only. I'd say if you're going to do it, do it throughout the level. Also, 4 Cyberdemons is a bit too much in one go. Maybe strip it back to 2? Final point I'll make is your texture choice. A lot of your textures are the same and very bland. This was a trap I fell into when I started my first few maps as I just wanted to get a decent gameplay flow out of it first. Try selecting a wall texture that is a different colour to the one in the room before it to give it a real variance. Each room should be recognisable.

There are definitely worse first maps out there. I see promise in whatever you're doing here and hope you update this in the future.

this is definitely a good start, here is some stuff i noticed:
i'm assuming this was made as a ZDoom-compatible map, which would be good to specify so that you can avoid confusion

the secrets in this map are just random walls that have doors on them, in general it's a good idea to have a hint of some kind so that it doesn't necessarily jump right out at you, but if you're paying attention you'll find it. think a texture that looks slightly off or border textures for a seemingly unimportant wall. also using sector special #9 means that stepping on that sector will trigger a secret

speaking of the doors, all of the ones in this map are generalized as opposed to predefined, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but using predefined actions can actually have benefits (i.e. using "DR Door Open Wait Close (also monsters)" lets you change what direction the door is moving and lets monsters open doors to come after the player if they leave the area

there are a lot of cyberdemons at the end of the map and nowhere near enough ammo to kill them all, especially if you don't find the secret BFG. it's a good move to make sure the player has what they need to kill all of the enemies in the map

the only difference made by selecting a higher difficulty is that these cyberdemons do not appear on HMP and below, try to make sure that the level as a whole is easier on the easier skills and harder on the harder ones. although a lot of people probably wouldn't bother with difficulty settings on their first map at all, so props for that

there is one missing texture near the end on the other side of the staircase, you can find stuff like this by clicking on "Mode" near the top of Doom Builder and clicking "map analysis mode", which will scan through and tell you any errors it finds

this one is fairly specific, but i noticed that the pillars in the end room are actually raised platforms - a quick way to get rid of this area completely would be to press the "s" key to switch to sectors mode, then hover over it and press the delete key. this does more than clean it up, since certain kinds of line specials will tell a sector to look for, say, its highest adjacent floor, and if you have one of these next to it, then it could end up going towards that instead of where you want it to

the map is pretty flat, you did do some stuff with raised and lowered floors in the starting and end rooms but not much after that. it's difficult to describe exactly what good use of elevation looks like, so i'd recommend opening some of the maps from the IWADs in the editor. in fact, opening IWAD maps is a very good way to get a grasp on how to get certain things working

texture variety is nice, it's typical for first maps to stick to STARTAN2 and the same old floor and ceiling textures but you did mix it up a little

i hope you enjoyed making this and want to map more, it's a very fun hobby to get into

3 hours ago, Henry said:

He is new though

Yeah but the "New to posting maps" threat is pinned at the top.

1 hour ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Yo dude, what mod is that? That doesn't look like Dead Marine...

"I used the Cybers!"

Now there's a concept waiting to happen...