Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

New vs. Old

Just wondering what you guys think on this. Are the older games more fun/better than the games of today?

Lets say that by old games I mean the 16-Bit era, and the newer games are from the 32-Bit era and on.

I think that the older games are much more fun and offer better replay value. I mean, come on. We're still playing Doom! NeoGeo is still living. And besides that, look at how we've tried to recreate the older games on the newer systems. Frogger was on PSX, and is now coming to (I think) XBox. They've got a new Rygar game coming out. Older games are ported to the GBA. Capcom still makes 2d fighters using their old characters and SNK characters. Phantasy Star is still going on. Hell, Namco Classics is on XBox.

What's your opinion?

I personally think that yes, the older games are much better than the newer games of today. There are countless examples, all you have to do is look.

Age of a game is irrelevant. If it's a good game it's a good game.

I'd say that the overall quality of games has actually gone up with time.

Old games r0ck for fun factor. But that doesn't mean newer games don't too. Quite a few people seem to think that even though a game was fun when it was new, it gets crap just because there's newer stuff out. Which is crap, of course. I still play a bunch of Mega Drive (Genesis) games... particularly Sonic, and I play new stuff too, such as BF1942.

To refine my position further:

A substantial amount of games, as is movies, are released each year. Only a handful of that amount is considered "good".

Just because more good games or movies have been released in the preceeding, say, 25 years than this year, doesn't mean that old games are better.

When I think "old game" I think of games that a farking difficult and don't have a savegame feature so that it takes a shitload of time, determination and concentration to beat it. But of course, not all old games were like that.

At least most new games have a savegame feature.

As for actual fun games: Nah, newer games have spawned classics and old games have spawned classics. There has always been periods which offered almost nothing new and then there has been innovative periods.

Old games or new games, they're all games and some are fun, some aren't.

there are many new games i like as well as old games.
i still love playing metroid II, mario 3, and the commander keen games.
I also still have an atari 2600 and play it when even i hook it up

I second every thing dsm said. the only thing that has changed is the fact that there are simply more games out nowdays, and, as always, the mediocre outnumber the good. people seem to be under the idea that nothing but gold was made in the old days, when really, just as much rubbish was made then as is being made now.

For me, it seems to be the memory that makes an old game fun. I remember back when 16-bit was hot, people were talking about how they miss the fun of 8-bit games and that there are too many 16-bit games around. Sound familiar? That's because this will happen again and again as part of the nostalgia feeling people get. Years from now, people will talk about how fun 32-bit games were and that the newer games suck.

FirebrandX said:

For me, it seems to be the memory that makes an old game fun. I remember back when 16-bit was hot, people were talking about how they miss the fun of 8-bit games and that there are too many 16-bit games around. Sound familiar? That's because this will happen again and again as part of the nostalgia feeling people get. Years from now, people will talk about how fun 32-bit games were and that the newer games suck.

People already do this.

I dont think anything has changed, games are still pretty much the same. The reason a remake of an older game is made is because either it will be highly profitable, the designers are out of ideas, or all of the above (usually, its the money). Also, just because a game is a remake or sequal of something old, doesnt mean it bears any similarities outside of the title and characters. Remember, the primary reason for a company to release a game is to make money, so seeing a familiar name on a box doesnt reveal anything about whats inside. Think about Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, are they really THAT similar to the original Metal Gear? Sure they may appear similar, and have similar concepts, but you could say that about almost any two randomly selected titles from any genre. In short, nothing has changed.
I think that what happens more often is that people are very prone to saying that something from their past is better than something in their present, either due to nostalgia, or because it makes them feel cool or experienced (this is nothing against Teamkill or anyone else for that matter). I too have fooled myself, only to go back and play an old game, thinking it would be awesome, and realizing that it was actually very flawed and not enjoyable at all. Remember, as children, many of us are merely excited at the thought of controlling whats happeneing on the T.V. screen. We were all easier to please back then.

Fredrik said:

NES... mmm... nostalgia
SNES... mmm... nostalgia
N64... mmm... nostalgia

I was open-minded enough to be able to enjoy systems outside of Nintendo, so I go the best of both worlds. I know many people who refused to play anything non-Nintendo (as part of some sort of strange fanboy fetish) and they missed out on a lot of cool games as a result.

I've played end enjoyed several SEGA and PS games too, though, I have so far only bought Nintendo consoles, for the reason that I don't want to miss any Mario, Zelda and Metroid games.

My heart will always be with the 8-bit games like those found on the Nintendo Entertainment System or the Commodore 64. Of course, I also play 'new' games, but I don't see myself playing all of these games in 10 or 20 years. Hmm.... Didn't see myself still playing Ghosts & Goblins or Great Giana Sisters after 15 years... :P

Old games are cool. I usually catch myself playing TV, Raptor, or Hocus Pocus. Moreso though, DOOM. Duh. :P