Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daerik

The DWIronman League dies to: Alien Vendetta

One of my favorites WADs of all time and one that holds special nostalgia chamber in my heart.

It's also hard af holy shit.

The most overrated wad in existence for an ironman??? The horrors of Misri Halek are still lingering...

Guess that this will be more of an endurance test than a proper ironman. Want a vendetta with aliens? Bring it.

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

The most overrated wad in existence for an ironman??? The horrors of Misri Halek are still lingering...

Guess that this will be more of an endurance test than a proper ironman. Want a vendetta with aliens? Bring it.

It /has/ been d2alled, so in theory someone insane like @Roofi could drop a survival.

20 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

I guess that, if I play in GZDOOM, I cannot use freelook. Am I correct?

Correct, no freelook, jumping, or crouching. If you're going to submit a run using gzdoom, make sure to include;

No cheats and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.

As this is a Doom set, you'd be using Doom (Strict), and showing that dynamic lights, jumping, crouching, and freelook are all disabled.

3 minutes ago, Daerik said:

Correct, no freelook, jumping, or crouching. If you're going to submit a run using gzdoom, make sure to include;

As this is a Doom set, you'd be using Doom (Strict), and showing that dynamic lights, jumping, crouching, and freelook are all disabled.

All right then, thanks!

hc_ironman_av.zip

Category 1, Dead in Map08.

Spoiler

After so many moments where I by some miracle survived gauntlets where the designers would try to crush the player like a bug, I met my end in entirely mundane circumstances. I turned a blind corner and the Chaingunner was quicker on the draw than I was.

One thing I really like about this monthly event (and other events like it) is how, when there is just so much Doom out there to try, it provides an entertaining way to sample a mapset with its "just walk in and get killed by it :D" approach.

By Map04 this megawad's ethos of "what if Hell Revealed was as appealing as possible?" became clear. I have to give it credit for how it was able to spring "how about Too Many monsters?" setups upon the player while having relatively few moments where the player must tediously grind through a horde's hp. Alien Vendetta made a very solid first impression.

Something that's not addressed (directly) in the OP and I think is important: Make sure not to load AVMOVFIX.WAD when doing your run.

Edited by Andromeda

For the curious, the purpose of avmovfix.wad is explained in the av.txt readme file in the av.zip release. In brief it addresses a problem with demo recordings in vanilla on map20 and solves it by hacking out the large mountain area of the map. None of these problems exist in most modern source ports.

It has been decreed that thou shalt NOT use avmovfix.wad, the upshot being that thou must endure the onerous trek up map20 Misri Halek's mighty mountain (if you are lucky enough to even get that far of course). Clearly doomguy needs to wear his best hiking boots. Sadly, that's going to be the least of his problems ...

Another item no one has yet mentioned and the tough and mighty DWIronman probably doesn't give a toss, but you can include the external dehacked av.deh file (by adding "-deh av.deh" to your command line without the quotes). This will give the correct story texts and automap titles if you care about that stuff.

I'm going to be watching every demo submitted. I love AV, one of my favorite wads of all time. Have fun guys, I really hope someone survives all 32 grueling maps. I wonder what @Ancalagon has been up to lately ...

Demo: ReaperAA_AVdemo.zip

Dead on: Map14

Time taken to reach the map: 2:06:12

If there was any scary map in the E2 of AV, then this was the map. I was expecting that this map would kill me. But its frustrating that even after a cyberdemon rocket and a failed vile jump for a megasphere, I still had managed to reach near the end of the level...

...only to die to the red key archviles.

Category 2, dead at map27 in what was the most disappointing yet funny death of all time. I don't know about the time, it was at least over 6 hours.

arbysIronAV.zip

No secret levels

Edited by Arbys550

Category 2 entry. Demo is available here. Died in one of the "cacos slowly rise from these corners" sectors in map08 like a dumbass.

Cat 2, mostly. Pretty familiar with 1-14, and basically blind on 16 onwards.

Died on map27 at 5h33m21s in literally the exact same manner as @Arbys550.

av_ironman_daerik.zip

It's been a very long time since I've done a proper playthrough of Alien Vendetta. A lot of the maps felt relatively grindy, being stuck in narrow hallways with only a comfortable amount of SSG ammo to get through, and I definitely started feeling burnt out after finishing map20. Felt like a solid pick for Ironman though, not too many insta-death gotcha traps if you're unprepared.

I'm aiming to have the leaderboard & obituaries written up by the end of tomorrow.

Edited by Daerik

Standard, Category 1

Died on map 6, with 101/187 kills (darn that blasted Cyberdemon, I never saw it coming!)

Recorded with: Twitch live via OBS, played on GZDoom 4.5.0. with Doom (strict)

Video: (playthrough starts at 1:01)

This was a lot of fun! What a smooth feel playing these levels had!

On 2/1/2021 at 8:39 PM, Daerik said:

# Map01: Psuedonaut - Max damage Hell Knight fireballs are not part of a balanced breakfast.

Little typo here, should be Pseudonaut :)

20 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Little typo here, should be Pseudonaut :)

This is what I get for writing that all up at 2am.

Standard leaderboard has been updated, and my meager attempts to be witty for the obituaries have been added.

I'd additionally like to throw out an idea; with the Uncle Bowl between Suitepee and an_mutt, and John having expressed interest in hosting a month, how would you feel about also hosting a month @an_mutt? The level of involvement could be as little as just picking the wad for the month and letting someone else post the thread. Suitepee mentioned wanting something in the summer so maybe have you both do June and July?