Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sectrslayr

Knee Deep Again - New map: E1M3 [revision F]

21 minutes ago, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

I find it hard to believe you tested on Chocolate when there are NO NODES BUILT!

I did not test E1M3 on Chocolate. That was E1M2 from earlier in the post. Does it still say so? Hm...

Just now, sectrslayr said:

I did not test E1M3 on Chocolate. That was E1M2 from earlier in the post. Does it still say so? Hm...

Well uh shit, guess I can't read. Anyway, you should probably fix that, even though I can tell that people only played this map in a source port that builds nodes for them

Just now, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

Well uh shit, guess I can't read. Anyway, you should probably fix that, even though I can tell that people only played this map in a source port that builds nodes for them

I slacked this time. But I will check for port compatibility because I want to compile a whole episode. There are issues with E1M1 and E1M2 I already know about. Just wanted to get this one out of the door before holidays...

2 hours ago, LordEntr0py said:

Still uploading and I'm on my relatively slow wi-fi connection with this...

Thoroughly enjoyed this map! I could see all the elements of the original E1M3. It's more detailed than the original maps, but manages to be more detailed without losing any of the style and character. I feel like I'm playing a whole new E1 playing this series of maps.

Good stuff!

Oh @LordEntr0py! That was such a pleasure to watch! Like the idea of replacing the music. Those eerie songs so much deepened the atmosphere. It was like watching a horror movie I very well know. Predictable but still frightening. Amazing!

Yes, the secrets are very well hidden. Interesting that you had that so much trouble finding them. But you did find them after all!

I noticed the blinding light effects and contrast. It worked particularly well with this map. What graphics settings do you play on? Or is it a MOD?

Thanks for playtesting and recording!

28 minutes ago, sectrslayr said:

Oh @LordEntr0py! That was such a pleasure to watch! Like the idea of replacing the music. Those eerie songs so much deepened the atmosphere. It was like watching a horror movie I very well know. Predictable but still frightening. Amazing!

Yes, the secrets are very well hidden. Interesting that you had that so much trouble finding them. But you did find them after all!

I noticed the blinding light effects and contrast. It worked particularly well with this map. What graphics settings do you play on? Or is it a MOD?

Thanks for playtesting and recording!

Aw, thanks!

I first discovered that music while playing through the original version of System Shock. It enhanced the atmosphere of an otherwise dated game. It's been my go-to creepy retro FPS music ever since. And I got the idea from @Lazlo Panaflex when he played through one of my maps.

Double post because I posted the first accidentally and rushed to edit that.

The settings in GZDoom I use for contrast (specifically: "Sector light mode -> Doom"):
unknown.png

And the Bloom effect which makes the lighting glow so nicely:

unknown.png

And dynamic lights, of course.
unknown.png

2 hours ago, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

Just use a node builder or a map editor that has built in node builder functions like UDB, the latter being the more optimal thing

I just tried. It's not that simple. There are limitations that ended my play at the first lift. Have to look into this... Another time...

Just gave E1M3 a shot, and had a great time with it! Your skills have improved significantly since the last map, since this one is an upgrade in every respect. The lighting in parrticular was very strong, great contrast all around. I especially enjoyed your use of dramatic red highlights, they really give the base a more menacing feel. I also really like the layout, which has a way of folding in on itself. The degree of verticality in the map was a welcome surprise, too.

All the mechanical stuff like resource balance and progression was spot on, no issues whatsoever. The secrets were the real standout feature of the map for me, very clever, almost reminiscent of early NEIS in places. Actually, there are just a lot of small interesting details in the map, like the opening pinky horde, for example. This kind of experimentation is honestly kind of a neccessity in Doom 1 mapping these days, given the sheer number of E1 throwbacks out there.

In summary, this set is shaping up to be one of my favourite E1 replacements, and I look forward to seeing how it evolves in the future!

Note: I was going to point out the lack of nodes, but it seems someone already beat me to it. FYI, most map editors should build nodes by default when you save the map. Which one are you using?

6 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Just gave E1M3 a shot, and had a great time with it! Your skills have improved significantly since the last map, since this one is an upgrade in every respect. The lighting in parrticular was very strong, great contrast all around. I especially enjoyed your use of dramatic red highlights, they really give the base a more menacing feel. I also really like the layout, which has a way of folding in on itself. The degree of verticality in the map was a welcome surprise, too. 

Thank you for the kind words, @Omniarch! I had a lot of fun building this one. Also learned a thing or two. I'm glad I indeed improved on so many things at once. Doing a map for Doom2 in between E1M2 and E1M3 might have helped with that. The red lights are great but unusual in Doom1. So unusual indeed, that @Clippy even thought they where custom textures. The folding layout actually got in my way. It used up space and is not easy to untangle. I'm not yet there in terms of verticality, but I'm working on it.

All the mechanical stuff like resource balance and progression was spot on, no issues whatsoever. The secrets were the real standout feature of the map for me, very clever, almost reminiscent of early NEIS in places. Actually, there are just a lot of small interesting details in the map, like the opening pinky horde, for example. This kind of experimentation is honestly kind of a neccessity in Doom 1 mapping these days, given the sheer number of E1 throwbacks out there.

The pinky horde was the actual driving idea for this map. It inspired @Clippy to record "pinky party" runs. Fun stuff! The "ever looming threat" as @Biodegradable put it in his video... Also a nice way to provide hordes when you have no monster teleporting (like in original E1). Surprising the player with teleporting monsters into previously empty rooms is pretty common among the WADs. It feels overused imho.

In summary, this set is shaping up to be one of my favourite E1 replacements, and I look forward to seeing how it evolves in the future!

It will take some more time. But I'm determined. And I already have ideas for E1M4, E1M8 and E1M9. My favorite map always has been E1M5. That's why I might do it last.

Note: I was going to point out the lack of nodes, but it seems someone already beat me to it. FYI, most map editors should build nodes by default when you save the map. Which one are you using?

I'm using SLADEs map editor. The configuration for node building with ZDBSP is easy, and I tried it before. But Chocolate Doom has some more limitations. I need to figure this out another time...