Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.Rocket

Teleport a Projectile?

Question

Hi, 

I've never tried this so here I am asking if anyone has before?

Is it possible to teleport a projectile, just like a player is teleported?

eg, fire a rocket into a teleport and it comes out of the destination teleporter.

I haven't tried it yet, but before I do and I go wasting my time, is it possible?

In UDMF and ACS, I'm guessing there's a way, maybe?

~ I'm only guessing but I suppose..

Remove the entering projectile at Teleport A, and Spawn the same (thing name projectile) at destination Teleport B

I'm thinking the main problem is knowing what is going to be entering Teleport A first.

Thanks

Edited by Mr.Rocket : trying to answer my own question.. heh

7 answers to this question

You know I was wondering about that.

I'll take a look, thanks!

Edit:

Ah yeah they could work as a way similar to teleporting, and they do bring a projectile from one area to another, much like I wanted, however the portal needs to be at the same angle as the other so that's kind of throwing a wrench in to what I'd like to do. ~ but at least the wrench still comes out of the other side.. :P

I might be able to use this as part of the rigging though.. I'll try using a teleport in conjunction also, if I'm able to pull it off.

The idea is to make it look as a normal teleport, and not see the other side/area via portal but still act as one.

I'll see what I can do from this point.

Thanks!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

On 2/2/2021 at 3:09 AM, Mr.Rocket said:

use this as part of the rigging though.. I'll try using a teleport in conjunction also, if I'm able to pull it off.

I played around with something like this a while back that might help.

Try FOUR portals in a square around the teleport flat and four more at the other end. IIRC the angles then look right. It'll be a silent teleport though.

You will need to make sure the source and destination rooms look identical.

Here you go. It's just one line portal, type 1, so you can shoot through it to the imp on the other side. You do get slightly odd teleport effects ('cos type 1) but you can definitely shoot across the teleport to the imp.

Not certain this is what you want - I see you do NOT want to see the imp, yet still shoot it across the teleport. I did try playing with one-sided mid textures on the portal line - which might offer something?

Anyway: teleportal.zip

In vanilla Heretic, some projectiles can enter teleports. There it's handled by a mobj flag.

I  imagine ports that fully support Heretic have merged the flags with Doom's?

Maybe this will shed some light. If you clear the NOTELEPORT flag on the projectile, does it do what you want? Or are you trying to preserve the angle in which it enters? If it teleports normally, it will face whatever direction the teleport destination faces.

@smeghammer, not exactly want I want it to do, but it's close.

Thanks for fixing up a test run with the idea though. ;)

@Vermil and EarthQuake, this might work. I'll have to fix up a script tonight and see what happens.

Thanks guys!

Edit: hmm I can't seem to get it to work with the a Heretic based projectile, unless I'm doing something wrong.

-NOTELEPORT didn't seem to have an effect on a Doom Rocket projectile.

Though I'm not any sort of script guru on some of this stuff.

Let me know what you found out.

Thanks!

Edited by Mr.Rocket