Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arrowhead

Arrowhead12's WADs - ***ACE-1.wad - NOW ON IDGAMES***

Rough n' Ready:

-------------------

This is my very first map - the very first time I've made a map in the 20 years I've played Doom...

I tested it in GZDOOM and PRBOOM. I recommend using a limit removing port like GZDOOM, as its been brought to my attention that there is a visplane overflow, although that may have been corrected after my first update. I haven't tested if it is truly vanilla or not.

This is a Doom2 map on MAP01. Currently only UV is implemented. All three difficulties are now supported.

I called it 'Rough n' Ready' because of the very chaotic first room. I tried to create tough fights, but as this is my first time mapping, the more experienced members may find it easy. I tried to make it a challenging map - it is definitely possible to 100%.

- Jumping and crouching are discouraged, as they will break the map. Freelook should not cause any issues, though.

All feedback is greatly appreciated - I am brand new to this, after all.

Thanks! :)

screenie2.png.e833042f10a3b49fd5660033a01d1a12.pngscreenie3.png.d74222a6a19dc0d4b9f996634ca1b181.pngscreenie4.png.ab872b2c870c9cd96b24baefd3b665fd.png

screenie1.png

Deep Keeps:

--------------

This is a Doom2 map on map01. Currently all 3 difficulties are implemented. The map is best experienced in UV, though.

Jumping and crouching are prohibited, but free-look should be just fine.

I've only tested this in GZDOOM, so I recommend you use that. I haven't tested this wad with any other mods - but GZDOOM works just fine. PrBoom had a small issue w/ frozen pinkies at the start of the map. I may have fixed it in my new update, but have not tested in PrBoom yet. Map should be a fairly good challenge in UV/hard, but much easier on medium and easy difficulties.

Screenshot_Doom_20210205_142814.png.b2b7d2cf4e3a2b60929996100376c2dd.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210205_142732.png.aa2b788e480c28fd156705d84009107f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210205_142836.png.fd4edf0f2d83bb7fcb102330c6131f4a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210205_142900.png.1c8aa6885179a602032c2e7c5bc28eca.png

Ribcage

----------

This is also a Doom2 map on Map01. Currently still has D_RUNNIN, so apologies for that - I'll have to learn how to change music tracks soon... Now has the song 'Dancing' by pcorf, from the Paul's Deathmatch album.

Jumping and crouching should be restricted, but freelook is A-ok. I've only tested this one in GZDOOM, so I recommend you use that.

1.png.d903f90bffbf42b33cf79d892f04f667.png

2.png.ce45bebf1fec6d63d063471d45a6166d.png

3.png.748f6603bba4ef22bb33d1d21f2b395a.png

4.png.894873fd2b0b5a3b678e6841d9f3fb60.png

5.png.eff5c347d43f394e8919f6870c154a5a.png

ROUNDHOUSE

------------------

This is a Doom 2 map on MAP01. Custom music is 'Pain' from Paul's Deathmatch, by Pcorf. Only UV is implemented atm. I recommend using a limit-removing sourceport, as I'm not sure how this fares in vanilla. I tested in GZDOOM 4.5.0. Jumping and crouching are not allowed, but freelook is. Screenies below:

screeno1.png.338dac3f042cba7c201e199615f57a72.png

screeno2.png.a7cae2ad61d9294eaaf9610bc69c58cf.png

screeno3.png.59084b0ea1de8fbfe47fe5abd0efe544.png

screeno4.png.dc3f4fda9b5948e228508594ab29740a.png

FURNACE

-----------

Furnace is a Doom2 map on map 1. It is a medium sized hell level, and is quite difficult on UV. I have implemented all difficulties, though - and the first two difficulties are quite a bit easier.

Freelook is allowed, but crouching and jumping are not. I tested this in GZDOOM 4.5.0, and didn't encounter any obvious bugs, I did not test on PrBoom+, and I recommend you use GZDOOM to play this. This was made in DoomBuilder 2, using doom2 format. I intend on 'upgrading' to Ultimate Doom Builder for future maps, as I've heard its better.

screenE1.png.24c85348e9ff0c21ec86e9bcad5f13b4.png

screenE2.png.fa725f8156bb49d4dd5c4380b431cb2f.png

screenE3.png.3a788400b7ba8cd9b57f897cebf34765.png

screenE4.png.e7a023b9406d2f14074a55c2c1e977eb.png

screenE5.png.6a819ae9f8ca385dafd9e26972b8f08b.png

screenE6.png.a70e6426595abd0a57eb19a1c0184f86.png

COMMAND HQ

-----------------

Command HQ is a doom2 map on map01. It was mapped in doom2 format. Jumping and crouching are prohibited, but freelook is fine. You will need to use GZDOOM.

Currently only UV difficulty is implemented, and the par times, (on all levels) are only tentative rn, I will replace them when I have more time to 'speedrun' my levels.

This map was my first attempt at a 'techbase'. Let me know what you think!

one.png.4224640ede23256fc267ee978e526374.png

two.png.d9a0ef4997c554878d7f5b4433936b78.png

three.png.3894c1b1828a306010ff8f2273c99118.png

four.png.a4e56440c88e31d7e263dc09c6446d36.png

five.png.8e4e6f23af1cbf6195cc3d31b7fbfbaa.png

six.png.b24d1180efa4ce64643eca483ee90e35.png

seven.png.61880db553400874c31db2662b23616c.png

GALLOWS

------------

Gallows is a doom2 map on map01. It was mapped in doom2 format. Jumping and crouching are prohibited - freelook is allowed, but discouraged; it will make 1 secret much easier to get. You will need to use GZDOOM, as w/ my other current WADs. This is a fairly large hell level - over 320 enemies! It will likely take 15-20 minutes to complete. Longer if you are doing UVMAX. I made sure too, that all enemies are killable without needing to find any of the secrets, although the secrets definitely do help. I put 11 secrets in this map, and I tried to make cool environments. The map only has UV rn. I do plan on adding par times and difficulties when I have a bit more time available. See screenshots below:

screeni1.png.513514fbd51ac541cf1f3c0dd914b233.png

screeni2.png.3281c38e2d6da8a349cc8f07c497c7ff.png

screeni3.png.053d263445baf6a04a909629753fd1b1.png

screeni4.png.a3e00f34eba4916e7c245d4141bcf15d.png

screeni5.png.01065a45583cf589e12e9af742fbf4be.png

screeni6.png.ec03411c6b27941c3fe9c81fed56a7f6.png

screeni7.png.b8c61ebb653d3a32e87776cb8039ec87.png

screeni8.png.cf037b4e4a9e235ec175295d5259da86.png

screeni9.png.677a4954a3fd01b010fcbe47fd80c415.png

screeni10.png.7b0bc6eeac35224fa2c2a7672788bf5d.png

Refinery

----------

Screenshot_Doom_20210323_181730.png.d75aa9712fbdc27788a730bc28cec3d5.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210323_181719.png.c3e7a37608d4007c128d842ef1637aaa.png

Refinery is a doom2 WAD on MAP01. Jumping and crouching are prohibited - but freelook is allowed. Thought I'd make a fairly quick map here, only took 5-6 hours this one. Its quite a small romp, should only take approximately 3-6 minutes - slightly more to UVMAX. This WAD is fairly easy. I'm planning on putting it in map slot 1 when I compile my WAD together - I'm open to feedback on this, too, though.

FINAL RELEASE

------------------

ACE-1.7z , or you can download it from idgames .

'ACE-1' stands for 'Arrowhead Compilation Episode 1'. It is a collection of the above 8 different themed levels.

Thanks for playing!

RUFNRDY.7z

DEEPKEP.7z

RIBCAGE.7z

RNDHAUS.7z

FURNACE.7z

COMMANDHQ.7z

GALLOWS.7z

REFINERY.7z

Edited by Arrowhead

Not at all bad, especially for a first WAD.  It's short, but engaging.  This is a level that'll keep you on your toes for the 5 minutes it takes to finish it (at least, for a player of average skill like me).  The arenas are just cramped enough that I felt under pressure without it being frustrating.  I beat it on without finding any secrets, and, for the most part, the monster and item placement seemed harsh but fair.  The final room with all the cacodemons gave me some trouble at first because I didn't notice the rocket launcher and tried to run away, which just led to the cacos gaining a serious positioning advantage in the red doorway (which really should be marked with DOORRED2, btw).  That was one of several deaths for me.

Visually, this is some top-notch use of vanilla assets.  It looks like it'd be right at home alongside some of the nicer-looking IWAD maps.  There's some good use of lighting, although it's maybe a little too dark in a few places, depending on what render settings you're using.  Only graphical issues I noticed were the BLODRIP and CRACKLE4 pillars in the second screenshot there, as well as the ROCKRED in the pit near the plasma gun - the textures aren't aligned properly.  You can fix it in Visual Mode by shift-clicking the texture to select all connected linedefs with that same texture, then pressing "a" to auto-align them (at least, that's how it works in Ultimate Doom Builder.  idk if Doom Builder 2 is the same).

I can also confirm that this map is, unfortunately, not vanilla-compatible.  The map has far too many linedefs, and will almost instantly crash to DOS with a visplane overflow.  You'll need at least a limit-removing port like CrispyDoom to run it.  Actually, I opened the map in DoomBuilder and it looks like you could delete a lot of vertices without losing a significant amount of the aesthetic.  Maybe even enough to prevent the visplane overflow.  Also, I notice that nearly half the map has sector tag 2, but it doesn't seem to be attached to any action.  I don't think that will cause any actual problems, but it's a little messy.

All said, this is a really solid first map.  I look forward to seeing what else you make!

10 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

All said, this is a really solid first map.  I look forward to seeing what else you make!

Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely get those issues fixed for my next update. I was not aware of the vanilla incompatibility. I will change the original post to reflect that.

I also think I will move the rocket-launcher and rocket pack a bit closer - that way there isn't so much pressure in the final room - that's a good point also.

I'm sure others will find other bugs, so I'll put off updating for another day or so. I am already working on my second wad, I'll be sure to post that once I feel comfortable w/ it.

22 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Wow, thanks so much for doing a playthrough of my map - I see some things I should definitely adjust. The Hellknight should have been set to 'deaf' - he's supposed to stay in that hallway before the Caco room. I will definitely get that fixed in my first update.

Thanks for taking the time to play my map!

Okay, first update based on a lot of feedback:

-Fixed the roaming Hellknight problem

-Removed superfluous sector tags and vertices

-Texture Cleanup

-I removed 2 of the 4 Lost Souls in the first room.

-I added additional medikits

-The map should be cured of its linedef-itis :)

-Brightened the area immediately before the red key, as well as the area before the plaz pit.

-Moved the rocket launcher much closer - to alleviate a little pressure in the last room.

-Made the 2 revenants near the secret area deaf, as well as some other monsters in the shotgunner area.

-Changed BLODRIP and CRAKL4 pillars.

-Other miscellaneous cleanup

Edit - Quick 2nd Update

-Fixed the Hellknight from opening the secret door to the berserk

-added some red skulls to the red key door

Edited by Arrowhead12

Uploaded a new map called ' Deep Keep'. Looking for any and all feedback. I tried to do a bit of a unique ending.

See original post for screenies and other info. :)

I'll keep posting my maps into this thread, that way I won't spam up the forum index.

Edited by Arrowhead12

I recorded myself playing Deep Keep:

As you can see, I decided to give it a whirl in PrBoom+. For some reason the starting pinkies are glued to the floor, but everything else in the map works great.

I like the overall vibe, though I feel the grey rock texture could be broken up in places. I think the choke point with the arachnotron and the mancubus is clever. It puts a lot of tension on you. The curving staircase is the coolest-looking part of the map, on account of the spooky candle lighting. I absolutely love the chaos that unfolds when you take the lift up to the red key area. I like how you have to wade into the middle of it to grab the rocket launcher.

I appreciate that you don't let the baron on the roof tops use the teleporter. It sets up a nice telefrag opportunity! Not much else to say other than the exit could be marked better — I would have gone secret hunting first had I known.

9 minutes ago, Krenium said:

Thanks so much for playing my WAD. Not sure why the pinkies behave that way in PrBoom+, i'll have to figure that out. I think you're right about the 'grey rock texture' as well - i'll try to vary it a bit in my first update. And definitely, I agree that the exit should be marked better. I'll put up a small exit sign or something nearby. :)

Appreciate you taking the time!

And Rough n' Ready:

I think this one looks really nice. Especially the lighting. This is one heck of a hot start and I can certainly appreciate maps that pull it off well like this one. That plasma gun came just in the nick of time and saved my hide! The archvile is placed in an interesting and tricky spot. I had fun wrestling with that door, haha. One thing that seemed a little weird to me was the metal hallway cut into the rock wall (near the red door) without any kind of trim or border.

As for the cacoswarm at the end, I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, but if you present me with an exit in plain view, I'm going to take it. If you want me to fight those things, consider moving the teleporter out of view or some other strategy.

46 minutes ago, Krenium said:

Rough n' Ready:

One thing that seemed a little weird to me was the metal hallway cut into the rock wall (near the red door) without any kind of trim or border.

As for the cacoswarm at the end, I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, but if you present me with an exit in plain view, I'm going to take it. If you want me to fight those things, consider moving the teleporter out of view or some other strategy.

That's a good point about the hallway - It looked quite jagged in your video too, I'll need to get that figured out.

I also agree with your last point - I'll have to find some way to obscure the exit more.

This gives me some things to work on, thanks!

I recorded my playthrough of Deep Keep.  Don't know why the first few seconds of the video didn't record properly, but all the actual gameplay footage is there.

I really like this map.  Visually, it's quite striking, with the big imposing keep looming in front of you at the start.  It has a good flow, and I like the gradual ascent of the keep.  Good stuff.

Hey I played both maps and I had much fun in doing so, so thank you!

My favourite part was the hot start in Rough n' Ready. It was pretty rough (heh) but the monster variety lends itself to very exciting gameplay. The rest of the map was much easier so that felt very fair and I did not get annoyed for a single second spamming attempts to get out of the first room - played the map twice to get all secrets and kills since I did not realise the exit was an exit lol and I really wanted to play the start again. The vile placement as others say was very cool and the rest of the fodder in general felt satisfying to wreck with the SSG. The secrets felt a bit off, the medkits at the start are not really that secret tbh and the berserk at the end doesn't feel like it has much use besides as a health pickup. Overall looks very nice too.

In Deep Keep I liked the whole first area until the red door a lot. It was a very simple but still interesting layout and I liked the texturing style a lot. The lift maybe could be moved a tad to not go lower than the step it's on, that looks a bit weird. After the red door the map felt a bit empty and rushed though.

I uploaded my playthoughs on youtube, no commentary, just demon slaying:

Rough n' Ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWWxmX-VVU

Deep Keep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9O_0FhRyEs

3 hours ago, Orcsbreath said:

I'm glad you enjoyed my WAD! I agree with your point about the final fight being a bit of a letdown - I'll have to come up w/ something a bit more dynamic - the baron was there mainly for a bit of a telefrag gag, not as a real intended fight. I do see now though how that makes things quite stagnant once you get to the tops of the 'keeps'.

You've got a good point about the ASHWAL4, too - I'm going to need to break it up somehow. I really liked the commentary - its nice to know exactly what someone's thinking as they're playing the WAD.

1 hour ago, eirc said:

-The secrets felt a bit off, the medkits at the start are not really that secret tbh and the berserk at the end doesn't feel like it has much use besides as a health pickup. Overall looks very nice too.

-The lift maybe could be moved a tad to not go lower than the step it's on, that looks a bit weird. After the red door the map felt a bit empty and rushed though.

I agree with the sentiment that the map feels empty after the red door. I'm going to have to develop that fight more - Orcsbreath also mentioned that that fight was a bit anticlimatic. I also see what you mean about the elevator - It looks a little bit janky going above the top of the platform. And yeah, in R&R those medikits aren't really as 'secret' as they should be. I'll likely need to put up a door, or obscure them better some way - same with the berserk. I'll need to put something different in the berserk's place, as it doesn't seem currently to affect the balance of the map.

These are good points!

I'm not sure when I'll have these updated, but it will probably be in the next couple days or so.

22 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Finally, I can log back in and post my playthrough I recorded yesterday.

I've been having the same problem all day, intermittent 403s... :P

Anyway, thanks for giving Deep Keep a go! I plan on changing the fight after the red key door significantly - a couple other ideas were brought to my attention, so I should have a corrected version out soon.

Okay, posted an update for Rough n' Ready, and an update for Deep Keeps. I tried to include a lot of the feedback that was given, but I may have missed something! Anyway, I believe the suggestions have definitely improved the maps. I'm currently working on my 3rd WAD, so hopefully I'll have something to show for that soon.

RUFNRDYv1c.7z

DEEPKEPv1a.7z

Just posted a new map: 'Ribcage'. Only UV is implemented so far. The level is quite difficult, but I have tried to keep ammo and monster placement fair.

The map is capable of being 100%. As always, looking for any and all feedback. It is the only way I will improve - I also intend on taking said feedback and making periodic updates. The goal is to eventually get one of these on /idgames, once I finally feel comfortable w/ a map.

See screenies and OP for more info.

RIBCAGE.7z

Edited by Arrowhead12

Man, that Arch-Vile library gave me a hard time!  Felt almost a little unfair when the demons gained control of the doorway; the Archies kept resurrecting meat-shields like the Hell Knights so I kept draining my ammo & health without being able to engage the Archies directly.  Other than that, I enjoyed it.  The main outdoor arena was fun and visually interesting; you've made good use of the stock DOOM II textures once again.  Honestly, this looks like it could be a DOOM II IWAD map if not for the fact that it probably wouldn't fit in vanilla limits.  The ending did feel a little anticlimactic though because by the time I got the yellow key I'd already cleared out the arena.  A final ambush at either the yellow or blue key wouldn't go amiss, I think.  Teleport in some Revenants or something, idk.

Oh, and since you mentioned you don't know how to change the music: For that, I like to use the WAD editor SLADE.  Just import whatever MIDI file you want to play into the WAD, and rename it to the name of the track that plays on the map you're replacing (so, if your map is MAP01, you'd rename the MIDI to D_RUNNIN).

Woof, that won was a bit of a butt-clencher. It's a good, fun challenge to be sure even though it drove me slightly batty towards the end there lol. I'll let my footage do the rest of the talking for me.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:04 PM, Orcsbreath said:

- ...Man, that Arch-Vile library gave me a hard time!  Felt almost a little unfair when the demons gained control of the doorway; the Archies kept resurrecting meat-shields like the Hell Knights so I kept draining my ammo & health without being able to engage the Archies directly.  Other than that, I enjoyed it.

-...For that, I like to use the WAD editor SLADE.  Just import whatever MIDI file you want to play into the WAD, and rename it to the name of the track that plays on the map you're replacing (so, if your map is MAP01, you'd rename the MIDI to D_RUNNIN).

Finally, I can log in again! Anyways, I agree w/ the archvile library being too brutal. I have since slightly redesigned the fight, so that there are only 2 archviles, with 1 of the 2 being deaf. I've readjusted the ammo in that area to better compensate for excessive archvile resurrection. I've played through a few more times, and it definitely feels more fair now.

I plan on getting the Slade music thing figured out by this weekend, haven't had a chance to look at it yet...

On 2/11/2021 at 4:17 AM, Biodegradable said:

Woof, that won was a bit of a butt-clencher. It's a good, fun challenge to be sure even though it drove me slightly batty towards the end there lol. I'll let my footage do the rest of the talking for me.

Definitely a butt-clencher! Perhaps a bit too much of one. I've pared down the hitscanners, and removed nearly all of them from that inside right bunker area. I've also set up a new trap to the north of the 'ribcage', and a new trap after the yellow key, as it looked like things were quite quiet after you started picking up keys... Should make the map a little more dynamic.

I'll try to have a new update soon - just waiting to get permission for a couple MIDI pieces. Not sure what to start for my next project. Thanks!

Edited by Arrowhead12

Okay, I've updated all 3 levels  based on suggestions / other tweaks I saw. I have also now included readmes for each level, as well as added 3 songs from pcorf to my levels. Thanks to @Orcsbreath for telling me how to use Slade to change the music. I've also included those that did a playthrough in my additional credits section. :)

I'm not sure if these are the final iteration of these maps or not - I'll be sure to update them as new things get noticed / turn up. I'll wait a little bit, and if then I'm satisfied, I just might try posting to /idgames...

Thanks to everyone for all the support I've had w/ my first maps - I'm currently working on something new, so I'll still use this thread to post my maps in the future. Thanks!

RIBCAGE.7z

Deepkep.7z

RUFNRDY.7z

New map released - 'FURNACE'.

See OP for screenies and more info! Should be a difficult one! But not too difficult!

The awesome music track is 'Carnage Cycle'  by @Immorpher :)

Thanks!

FURNACE.7z

Edited by Arrowhead12

1 hour ago, Suitepee said:

Wow! Thanks for taking so much time out of your day to play through those for me! I agree with what was expressed in the video about the need for better exit encounters. I think my 5th WAD, (Furnace) has a bit of a better exit, than my prior WADs, maybe one of these future days you'll play that one. I'm going to need to think of a way to alter that end fight for 'Rough n' Ready' - I did not expect the player to immediately retreat / exit, I wanted them to engage the cacos in that room with the RL. I'll have to think something up to sort that problem out. Maybe i'll do another update in the future!

Anyways, thanks for taking the time! :)

Finally got around to trying out the two newest maps; here's my playthrough of Roundhouse.  Not a bad little map; I guess the closest I have to a "complaint" is that maybe three consecutive Arch-Viles at the end is a bit repetitive, but I didn't really mind it all that much. 

22 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

I guess the closest I have to a "complaint" is that maybe three consecutive Arch-Viles at the end is a bit repetitive, but I didn't really mind it all that much.

I tried to present them in 3 different 'fights', but yeah, I don't think there's enough 'buffer-time' between the encounters - definitely don't want to cause archvile fatigue, that's never fun lol.

Also, I see now that the stairs are too steep, (something I should have noticed before submitting) - not sure how to change that now, (without changing A LOT of the map) but i'll definitely be more mindful of that in the future, for future maps.

Thanks for trying out my new ones!

Edit: also can see that I forgot to mark the exit again, sigh :P