Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arrowhead

Arrowhead12's WADs - ***ACE-1.wad - NOW ON IDGAMES***

My playthrough of Gallows.  Great stuff as usual; strong visuals & fun gameplay.  Can't wait 'til I get the chance to play Refinery!

3 hours ago, Orcsbreath said:

...Great stuff as usual; strong visuals & fun gameplay.  Can't wait 'til I get the chance to play Refinery!

Thanks for the kind words. I actually took slight inspiration from 'Production Line' for 'Refinery', as I wanted to do a map that was a more realistic place, as opposed to a more abstract hell or techbase map. Your map really made me want to try making something more 'industrial' looking.

Refinery is much much shorter than Gallows, I hope you'll enjoy that one, too!

26 minutes ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I actually took slight inspiration from 'Production Line' for 'Refinery'

Haha, now I feel slightly less guilty about stealing the metal grate over lava at the start of 'Furnace' for the map I'm currently working on.

It does make me very happy to hear people are taking inspiration from my maps - especially since I'm also taking some inspiration from yours!

Refinery playthrough: This was a fun little map.  Good flow, fun encounters, left me wanting more. 

The "rendering error" I pointed out, I should clarify that I mainly wanted to open the map in DoomBuilder and see what was going on for my own edification more than it being an actual problem with the map.  I was thinking, "I know that this happens with mid-textures that are taller than the sector on double-sided linedefs, but there's no reason for this line to be double-sided, so what else might be causing this?" and it didn't even occur to me that

Spoiler

it was a double-sided line hiding a secret, especially since I basically never use fake walls in my maps and tend to forget they exist until I actually see one.

45 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

Thanks for checking out Refinery - couple small things I noticed - it might be prudent to remove one hellknight from the outside, as things seem to get a little meaty in that cave. I also might make the switches 'flicker' or something to draw more attention to them. I might also color half the raised bars a different color, so that there is more of an 'effect' when only one of the switches is pressed.

Yeah, I don't know what exactly is going on w/ that fake wall secret - its funny, because in the editor, it doesn't render that way at all - even when I use 'test mode'. I'll have to figure that out - shouldn't be too hard to find out. The only clue that that secret is there, is the fact that the other entrance to the conveyor belt is much smaller, and you can't fit through it. Maybe it would be best to cut out the midtextures, and add a black-colored door? Idk. I'm sure i'll find a solution when I begin my update!

And yes, it was the conveyor belt setup, and the general overall setting of your map that made me want to attempt this! I don't know when my next single-player project will be released - i've been oddly zeroed-in on deathmatch design rn. I've now got 9 DM maps ready to go, just trying to decide if I should release a 10-pack, or a 12-pack.

Anyways, thanks for checking the most recent one out! Always makes my day when I've got new playthroughs to watch. :)

58 minutes ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I also might make the switches 'flicker' or something to draw more attention to them. I might also color half the raised bars a different color, so that there is more of an 'effect' when only one of the switches is pressed.

If you want to make the switches more visible, I'd suggest changing the textures on either side of the switch "alcove" (i.e. the textures directly adjacent to the switch) to something other than the rock wall texture, so it's noticeable from angles where you can't quite see the switch itself.  I'd probably go with one of the LITE textures, since that would also justify cranking up the brightness to further make the switches 'pop'.  I don't think you need to change the colour of the bars, tbh.  I worked out what was going on pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Arrowhead12 said:

Yeah, I don't know what exactly is going on w/ that fake wall secret

I believe it's an engine bug.  On double-sided linedefs, DOOM always renders the mid texture at the height of the texture itself, even if the sector height doesn't match.  If the sector is taller than the texture, there'll be a gap above it; if it's shorter, the texture "bleeds" into the floor.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a way to fix it, other than just changing it to be a door.

Part 1 of 2: (stupid formatting wouldn't let me enter text after all the '@s' lol)

'ACE-1.wad' is now on idgames! ACE-1 stands for 'Arrowhead Compilation Episode 1'.

/idgames . Or you can direct download here: ACE-1.7z

Alright, I updated the things I stated I was going to update, with 2 small exceptions. I decided to keep the dead 'eye switches' in the flesh tunnel in Gallows, and I decided to also not alter the final chaingunner ambush. I felt it was too cramped to add another set of bars, to delay the player. All difficulties have been implemented. I think I was able to fix the secret wall in Refinery, too. I created par times, but completely spaced out, and forgot to add them to the MAPINFO lump, lol. I knew I'd forget something in my first upload, haha. I'll likely just send an updated version out to the archive in a few days' time. Everything else is otherwise A-Ok, though. :)

Special thanks to playtesters: @Orcsbreath @Biodegradable @Karl515 @Krenium @Dubbag @eirc @PeceMan @Suitepee @thelazyqdude

Edited by Arrowhead

Part 2 of 2:

Special thanks to @Jimmy @Immorpher @pcorf and Kyle Dobson for allowing their music to be reused in other projects. :)

Without the above playtesters and their feedback, (see first post) I probably wouldn't have made it very far at all. Thanks for your time.

I'm working on a large deathmatch priject now, I'll be sure to update as the process goes on.

Edited by Arrowhead